(shouting)

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Rob-Omb's Quest

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

I don't mind the battles with minor enemies being left in. In fact, I think I prefer it this way, having them being edited out felt kind of awkward at times. What I think is the best approach I've seen to battles in an RPG let's play is to leave them when going through an area for the first time, but edit them out if doing any backtracking or grinding.

When it comes to allocating bonus stats in these games, my personal approach is to simply start at the top and go down every level, then go back to the top after reaching the bottom (so I'd start with HP, then BP, then POW, and so on). That way I can be sure I've invested equally in every stat, and if I come back to the game after not playing for awhile and forget what I've upgraded I can just divide my level by 6 and use the remainder to figure out what to upgrade next. I'm not saying this is the best approach, I just like to keep things balanced.

As for the discussion about difficulty, I'm generally fine with things being pretty easy since you can always make things harder with self imposed challenges. As for multiple difficulty levels, while it would be nice for games to have really well done hard modes, I feel like an RPG is rather limited in what it can do. Other than just giving enemies more stats, the only thing I can think of for a hard mode is to give the enemies new attacks. To me though that seems like the kind of thing that would have to be decided early on, while I imagine that, more often than not, hard mode would probably be a thing to add on if there's time.

Shard1697

Post by Shard1697 »

I'll second that I like the battles being left in.

It's not just because they're short, it's also that M&L battles are just fundamentally nice to watch and listen to. The animations are cute, the music is fun, the BWOOSH when you stomp on enemies is satisfying. It's all good give me more of it

I would go as far as to say I enjoy watching battles in this game more than "progress" most of the time even if it's battles of a type already seen.
Plutia wrote: 4 years ago my thought was genuine. sometimes devs have other things to do than spend time implementing hard modes that appeal to far less people. if you look at copy kitty, which already has a decently challenging hard mode... it wasn't hard enough for me, but instead of complaining about the lack of an even harder mode I did the self-imposed challenge of beating every stage without damage instead.

there's plenty of things you could do to spice M&L up. no damage run, no healing run, required fights only (minimum possible level), no bean usage...
Personally I just really do not like self imposed challenges nearly as much as a hard set of rules that is actually enforced by the game. It feels "fake" to me. I like the feeling of taking every advantage I can get to win, and I can't get that if I'm playing by honor rules to weaken myself.
RobinLSL

Post by RobinLSL »

Would there be any chance that the imperfect emulation is making the minigame clock run faster for some reason? I remember having this in Donkey Kong 64, making a lot of timed challenges impossible with the wrong emulator.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

RobinLSL wrote: 4 years ago Would there be any chance that the imperfect emulation is making the minigame clock run faster for some reason? I remember having this in Donkey Kong 64, making a lot of timed challenges impossible with the wrong emulator.
This minigame just sucks, like all minigames in RPGs do without exception

Yes, even the one you're thinking of right now
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Paragraph wrote: 4 years ago This minigame just sucks, like all minigames in RPGs do without exception

Yes, even the one you're thinking of right now
that's a pretty bold fucking hot take considering triple triad exists

i contend tetra master needed major simplifications but triple triad is the gold standard

edit: also VBA has input lag i forgot to mention this. iirc mGBA has the least input lag but its GB/GBC emulation is pretty bleh (GBA emulation is top tier though, recommended by many!)
Last edited by KobaBeach 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago triple triad
I knew this example would get posted within milliseconds of my post, but consider the second line of it!
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

your wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:(

anyway again, VBA has input lag. mGBA has the least input lag from what I can recall and also the best GBA emulation (but the GB/GBC emulation is pretty meh, I dual wield it with BGB nowadays because of how old the VBAs have gotten)
Image Image
RobinLSL

Post by RobinLSL »

Paragraph wrote: 4 years ago Yes, even the one you're thinking of right now
Nah, Border Jump is great! And swinging your sword at bikers in Final Fantasy 7 is just dope.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Yeah, in a game where the timing of buttons is super important, maybe it's best to switch emulators.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Bowser's Inside Story had the perfect balance of length and variety in gameplay that it worked for me. Dream Team's next with its biggest problem being that it's a bit too long in the teeth especially for one backtracking quest, but it was fun outside of that. Superstar Saga here is third and right behind it. Great first entry for someone that was bored with the original N64 Paper Mario. Partners in Time was okay but kind of disappointing given that its concept didn't pan out the way I expected, and I haven't played Paper Jam yet.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago Yeah, in a game where the timing of buttons is super important, maybe it's best to switch emulators.
per patapon spotzone, raocow insists on using VBA-M because dxtory can record it, and that's the sole reason he's using it over mGBA.

*shrug*
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

then he is a naughty boy who must be punished with death
Image Image
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

also, like, I'm getting used to this timing, changing emulator with different delay would mean relearning a bunch of stuff
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

Please enjoy my favorite superstar saga content.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

im still sad i could never find the ff7 version of that gif again

edit: i found it
Image Image
Sebby19

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - The Ninji Saga

Post by Sebby19 »

Beaten to the punch again, by by FPzero this time. I was saving that for later
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

I don't even remember if you can jump on the rex if they havent been shortened any, but the timing would be extremely short. Definitely shows you that you may want to pick your target carefully.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

6 episodes in, i'm definitely getting the vibe that raocow can LP an RPGs, but I'm not sure this is for him.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Was it my post being called out at the beginning of today's episode? I can't tell, but if it is...
I assumed you were selecting the "wrong" pillar because the cursor wiggled all over a bunch and then you attacked it and went "ARG NO I DIDNT MEAN TO DO THAT, THE CURSOR IS SO FINICKY" even though it was indeed what you should have been doing.

Anyway, I don't agree with people saying this LP isn't working, I think it's been going really well so far. At the very least I'm enjoying it a lot!
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

As evidenced by the irked intro, if anything makes raocow want to stop playing this game, I bet you it's going to be the people vocally dogpiling on him for the length of an RPG.

Also Dragohoho is a wacky boss that shares the Rexes' mechanic of "smash his skull down into his spine so he's shorter". You REALLY have to time those jumps perfectly when he's tall, or when he's standing on the rock and therefore shooting projectiles right into your face. He was one of my walls as a kid, so seeing raocow win so handily makes me happy.

If you think about it, this is basically the end of World 3 (mushroom kingdom/koopa cruiser, stardust fields, hoohoo mountain). By that metric, and by my own reasoning it out for like two minutes, this game is about

fourteen

"worlds" long, I'd say.

one last thing: the hammerhead bros say only the bro in front can use a hammer but this is a lie aimed at preventing you from having fun. check your back actions with L
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Peliptia
(ˈpe-lip-SHēə) / [ˈpɛ-lɪp-ʃiə]

Post by Peliptia »

hahagosh the prince character went full-charms-mode with the ∗ ͙ ⃰flower🎕* ͙܍ to luigi, it was great☆*

⌧ ͓ ͯ i really hope that with this series peoples dont grow too frustrated with things to enjoy the videos ⌤ ⚊and i hope raocow doesnt grow to irritated with the peeps watching to enjoy making these ✖ˣ thats my big worry〜 i know everyone on boths sides means well…they either just wanna help, or want things to happen organically and stuffs, i just hope this doesnt turn too too negative before we even get off the ground

heres to hoping ₍₍ᗒ ▱๋ ᗕ⁾⁾
ImageImage
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I would consider the Mushroom Kingdom and the Koopa Cruiser as World O.

Missed ? Blocks:
1) raocow, the midboss arena is perfectly symmetrical. If you can get the left one, you can get the right.
2) and 3) You are supposed to use that last tornado and fly to the left. I don't know why that tornado didn't activate?

-Bounce Bros has the exact same timing as Splash Bros.
-when a Bro flashes their colour, that is when you press their button.
-When on top of the mountain, you can see Peach's Castle in the distance! They remove this in the remake (WHY).
-That 'nuclear reactor' is actually the Beanbean Castle! Compare with your map.
-Talk to everyone in the village again. There is a particular lady in one of the homes you should meet.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I guess at first I targeted a column by mistake but then gradually I started targeting them on purpose, so now I understand the confusion and feel like a big ol' jerk face :(
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

It must really have hurt Prince Peasley to have such gigantic throat stones. No wonder he attacked the first things he saw!
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
freshtalk

Post by freshtalk »

I also vote to testing out using the hammer with the bro in the back too.

Hammers feel just right for Mario and Luigi, and I'm surprised they aren't a regular thing in the platformers too.