(shouting)

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
ano0maly
Discord User

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Super Challenge World

Post by ano0maly »

everyone that has ever posted in the entire thread
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

Breaking news: the forum itself and every one of its threads have become sentient. The members and staff are powerless to stop their rampage.

In fairness, I should know better by now than to use hyperbole on the internet.

Edit by Bean: This one was reported by Rocky himself, so I'll put it in an ispoiler box and call it a hyperbolic post.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I'm not misunderstanding you or being a stupid idiot. I'm saying that if you think someone is being unnecessarily rude just say so instead of vagueposting about it right underneath their posts. Just because you frame yourself as talking about it from a distance doesn't mean you're not contributing to the same conversation. If you really don't want a rude digression to be seen as dominating the thread, stop giving it undue attention.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I really have no clue how saying I wanted a hard mode was at all controversial.
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

Leet wrote: I'm not misunderstanding you or being a stupid idiot. I'm saying that if you think someone is being unnecessarily rude just say so instead of vagueposting about it right underneath their posts. Just because you frame yourself as talking about it from a distance doesn't mean you're not contributing to the same conversation. If you really don't want a rude digression to be seen as dominating the thread, stop giving it undue attention.
I know you weren't. That was me realizing I was being an idiot and then, rather than just being straightforward and apologizing, continuing to be an idiot by vagueposting about my own vagueposting.

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

sorry for the potential double-post but folks who are already in the process of responding may miss edits.

I want to make it clear that I mean that 100% seriously. I was being dense and just needlessly detracting from the discussion and escalating things, and for that I sincerely apologize.

Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

So... how long do you think it will take for raocow to reach the top of Hoohoo mountain? One or two videos? I say he'll reach the top, but save just before the boss.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Plutia
Plutia too cute

Post by Plutia »

my thought was genuine. sometimes devs have other things to do than spend time implementing hard modes that appeal to far less people. if you look at copy kitty, which already has a decently challenging hard mode... it wasn't hard enough for me, but instead of complaining about the lack of an even harder mode I did the self-imposed challenge of beating every stage without damage instead.

there's plenty of things you could do to spice M&L up. no damage run, no healing run, required fights only (minimum possible level), no bean usage...
Last edited by Plutia 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Oh you weren't joking, awkward.
So I guess I'll just make a genuine response to you.

I'm coming from the perspective of: it was in the last game, why not again? That is my question regarding why no hard mode in Paper Jam (and boss rush in SS remake).
It would have been nice for my 2nd playthrough, but oh well.

Also my last post was edited... umkay.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

Self-imposed challenges are a poor substitute for a hard mode that is well-designed and properly balanced. Take Goldeneye for example. In that game harder difficulties added additional mission objectives to add complexity to the mission. Other games might add more enemies, replace some enemies with harder variants, or give enemies additional abilities.
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

but a well-crafted hard mode requires resources, advance planning, and actual vision, and brings along its amount of problems that should not be overlooked.

I'd rather have no hard more at all rather than have a half-baked one. A half-baked hard mode could very well leave a bitter aftertaste.
video games
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Let's not pretend that they really exerted all their effort on a remake. This isn't Breath of the Wild, it's a quickly shoved out remake that uses mostly pre-existing assets and engine, and an entirely already existing story and game concept so Nintendo could quickly get out a new game with Mario on the cover without having to go through the full development cycle. They were even able to get the Bowser's Inside Story remake done in like a year after SS's.

The reason I mentioned easy mode is because its existence means the game is already built to handle multiple difficulties. Most of the hard work of making those numbers variable instead of hardcoded like if there was a single difficulty is already there.

Also it's just a non-argument to say "it's fine it doesn't have a hard mode because if they made one it might have been bad." You can say that for literally anything.
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

Number mod difficulty settings are lame.

also not that it matters since the remake is kinda lame anyways.
video games
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

But The Doctor already mentioned a way to have a good hard mode instead of just number modding.

This is turning into a silly argument. It's basically saying "bad hard is bad" in response to "good hard is good" and vice versa. And adding needless blanket statements like "remake is lame" instead of discussing the substance would likely just invite more backlash from people who want to argue that the remake is loads better. It's a fight we don't need here.
Leet

Post by Leet »

"People arguing that the remake is loads better" is an implausible premise
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Here

The point is that having a discussion about the substantial content is better than provoking fights with these kinds of blanket comments and I would rather not have the latter in here.
Leet

Post by Leet »

But nobody would ever fight over that.
Plutia
Plutia too cute

Post by Plutia »

if it's so easy to make a hard mode then you go poking into the game code and make your own. it's been done with other games before. don't waste your time wishing there was one when you could be making it exist instead
Leet

Post by Leet »

That's not really a great response to personal complaints chief. "damn they should've included this, i wish they would have" isn't "wasting time" like that's just bad faith silliness. we shouldn't have to get into a meta-discussion about It's Ok To Have An Opinion every time but comments like these really don't help.
Plutia
Plutia too cute

Post by Plutia »

you're right that it's in bad faith, I've just been frustrated at things lately and it came out in a bad way
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Plutia wrote: 4 years ago if it's so easy to make a hard mode then you go poking into the game code and make your own. it's been done with other games before. don't waste your time wishing there was one when you could be making it exist instead
Alright guys, plutia solved it. We can no longer have any issue with any video game ever because you can just mod games yourself. Henceforth, every video game ever put out is immune to criticism or suggestions.
Hell, maybe Nintendo can just start releasing blank cartridges with the word "Mario" on it and you can just hack it and program your own ideal game from scratch. You better not complain that you just paid $60 for a blank cartridge! If it's so easy to put a game on a cartridge, why don't you do it yourself?
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Like Bethesda tried to essentially do with Fallout 76
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Rob-Omb's Quest

Post by SAJewers »

I know it's not intentional at all, but raocow having so much trouble with the controls is starting to sour my enjoyment of this game.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Ashan

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Rob-Omb's Quest

Post by Ashan »

I gotta say, I'm shocked that the spirit grabbing game of all things gave you so much trouble. Are you playing with a joystick? This game was made with a D-pad in mind so I'm thinking maybe the extra travel distance of having to move a joystick is making it harder to control. This could also apply to your cursor jumping around like crazy when selecting a target in battle.

Speaking of that targeting system, I think it's worth mentioning since the game never explains it (it's actually possible you already figured this out) -- generally you just press right to cycle between targets, cause left will move you to the "back" block to cancel your selection. In later games they made it so you could easily move the target selector in other directions and L button cancelled, but SS is a bit janky in this way. This confused me a ton as a kid, cause sometimes I thought I just couldn't select certain targets and didn't know why.