(shouting)

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Grounder

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - TSRP

Post by Grounder »

i managed it just fine

kinda shocking this was such a widespread problem
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

just the sound of this makes me queasy
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

I'd love to take that monkey wrench, I'd play my own game
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

I have a feeling raocow is going to invest everything in the POW stat like the champion that he is
video games
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

just one time, with a monkey wrench... i'd fix their plumbing...
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Grounder wrote: 4 years ago i managed it just fine

Congrats on being smarter than 6-year-old me!
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Alright Einstein

Next you'll be saying you didn't name the rival in GSC '???'
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

Aaah Superstar Saga. The only Mario & Luigi game I've ever played. I hardly played it though because I was a little kid and didn't understand the game at all. I've been meaning to actually play it some day though.
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

Voltgloss wrote: Question for those very familiar with this game, coming from someone (me) in the camp of "played it through once and beat it years ago but barely remembers any of the specifics":

Is grinding actually needed in this game? I vaguely recall just moving through the game straight through without stopping to grind *anywhere* and having a reasonable time. ("Reasonable" meaning "I'm sure I had to replay a few boss fights, particularly endgame, but the answer each time was to replay with a tweaked strategy and/or better performance on reactions, rather than spend time grinding.") Is this accurate or am I way offbase? The latter is entirely possible. Hell, I might be thinking of a different game in the series.
You remember right- grinding is totally unnecessary. I replayed it recently without ever slowing down to fight extra enemies, even dodging a bunch of fights entirely, and was very comfortably prepared for pretty much everything. Joke's End was kinda hard but "kinda hard" really just meant that the game was finally baring its fangs now that we've reached the endgame. It still felt like a reasonable endgame difficulty.

You can't exactly avoid every single enemy and come out prepared to fight bosses, of course, but for a comfortable experience you don't even need to fight every enemy you'd encounter on a beeline path through the game. Grinding is absolutely unneeded.
Mata Hari wrote:

Alright Einstein

Next you'll be saying you didn't name the rival in GSC '???'
look, the rival thing is a perfectly normal mistake to make >_>
I don't really get it but okay
HiroshiMishima
Aging Gamer

Post by HiroshiMishima »

I do *not* agree that grinding is unnecessary. That's what made the last leg of the game nigh unplayable for me. The harder I started to find the battles, due to the nature of the combat, the less I wanted to grind. End result the last couple areas kicked my ass until I wore it like a hat. I had to flat out drop the game until later on when I had a Codebreaker.

When I did actually replay it legit, grinding was incredibly beneficial and noticeably made the experience a lot better. Please do not tell him it needs no grinding just cause some of you didn't need that bit of advantage. This is an RPG for Pete's sake, grinding is a core mechanic.

I don't mean he needs to go hog wild with it, but don't lead raocow to believe it's completely unnecessary. Especially given the price of some things he'll want the coins.
warpio

Re: Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga

Post by warpio »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago I've played through all the games in this series at least once. None of the sequels really had the writing charm of the first game, and some were just offensively vanilla (mainly talking about Paper Jam). I'm hoping they can rectify this in the next game, which I'm crossing my fingers will be announced at Nintendo's E3 Direct this year.
oh yeah I've played through all of them too. What I find interesting is that although the writing/humor got worse as the series progressed, the gameplay element of making battles into little arcade action minigames got progressively better and better. I find Dream Team and Paper Jam to be the best of the Mario RPG games in terms of just how fun all the battles are, with some of the most interesting and difficult to master enemies in the series. I love how in Dream Team the dream versions of enemies all attack from a 3d plane whereas the non-dream versions of enemies attack from a 2d plane like usual. And in Paper Jam the paper versions of enemies all have subtle differences in their behaviors from the normal versions of enemies and how they often do different attack patterns depending on how they're paired together.

Compared to what the later games did with their enemy attack patterns, I find this game feels extremely vanilla in terms of its enemy attack patterns and figuring out how to master dodging all of them. Still very fun in its own way though.
Grounder

Re: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Luigi's Adventure

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Peliptia
(ˈpe-lip-SHēə) / [ˈpɛ-lɪp-ʃiə]

Post by Peliptia »

its shocking how ⟪serious⟫ peoples are being about this game⚊ is it super difficult or something‽ ive not played much in the rpg genre but the tone people are speaking in heres kinda making me nervous⁛⁚ heheh…

im someone who is alright with reading text in video games▵ would this game be a bad idea for someone who doesnt enjoy that kinda stuffs⁇

regardless, my interest has totally been piqued by this✧゚
ImageImage
First name: Violet
Pronouns: she/her

Post by 10204307 »

The thing about the Mario & Luigi series is that, for the most part, if you've got good reflexes and can learn enemy patterns, it doesn't really matter that much how high your level is. Plus, there's also things like items and equipment that can help out a lot, too. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

As for the amount of text, I doubt that will be a problem either. Mario & Luigi as a series isn't exactly heavy on lore or complicated stories, and there are very few long cutscenes. On top of that, I think this game's sense of humor is up raocow's alley, and can't see him getting bored with the game or something.

It'll be fine.
Quadro
Heh heh.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Quadro »

O.O
Wasn't expecting this.

"You are loved and you matter, whether you want to or not."
-raocow, 2023

"Wherever you are tonight,
I wish you the best of everything."

-Tom Petty

icon stolen from:
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

Peliptia: imo it's just enjoyably difficult ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Obviously that's not universal though, and you know better than anyone your own skill, reflexes, patience threshold, etc. I can tell you it's a great game, but will you love it? I don't know! You gotta decide that stuff yourself.

more to the point, I have no idea what you tried to say you don't enjoy and I'm sorry about that
I don't really get it but okay
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

A Mario game in the A-side and B-Side!?! At the same time!!? *Sqeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhh* BOOM (head explodes)

That jump at the 11 minute mark (for the ? block) is the hardest jump in the game, by the way. It's pretty precise.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

Man you guys have little faith in him. This should go fine. Maybe we should let him get past video 1 before worrying about his ability to handle a relatively simple RPG like this.
HiroshiMishima
Aging Gamer

Post by HiroshiMishima »

It's been a while since I saw a raocow video that made me grin for pretty much the entire thing like this first episode did. Made my jaw hurt, I was having such a good time seeing him react to everything.

EDIT: Mere speculation, but I wonder if tomorrow's title will be "Boat" or "Ship".
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I'm feeling very positive after the first episode. Of course I'm biased cause I love this game but that 20 minutes just flew by. I think this game's sense of humor will gel with raocow, and he seems to be reading enough of the dialogue to get a good handle on things.
Peliptia wrote: 4 years ago its shocking how ⟪serious⟫ peoples are being about this game⚊ is it super difficult or something‽
Nah, it's a pretty easy RPG. Especially since you can compensate for a bad understanding of how to play turn-based RPGs with decent reflexes so you can dodge things.
warpio wrote: 4 years agoI find Dream Team and Paper Jam to be the best of the Mario RPG games in terms of just how fun all the battles are, with some of the most interesting and difficult to master enemies in the series.
To be honest, I played through Paper Jam one time and forgot literally everything about it after a single playthrough. Without the writing charm of the earlier games (mainly SS) it just doesn't stand out as anything special to me.
HiroshiMishima
Aging Gamer

Post by HiroshiMishima »

I think I experienced a similar problem with Dream Team. I absolutely adored the writing quality in the first three games, and as I went on in Dream Team it felt like something was missing. A while after I set it down intending to take a break, I realized I couldn't really remember much outside of the game's dream gimmick, and figured maybe it was just better I leave it.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

To me, I don't think the question is if he'll beat the game, but rather, will the LP be enjoyable.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

So raocow's playing an RPG now. I'm certainly interested to see how this goes. I'm surprised to see people thinking that raocow will have a hard time with this game. The thought that raocow wouldn't be able to finish this game never even crossed my mind before I saw someone mention it. It's been a long time since I played this, so I'm not really familiar with this game's difficulty, but I imagine that raocow will do fine.

AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

Wow, you guys sure don't have a lot of faith in raocow. He'll be fine. It'll be harder to figure out how to organize the play sessions than it will be to play the game.
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

I forgot that Mario is a violent amoral maniac in the opening cut scene with beating up toad and dragging Luigi through the streets.
This must be why he feels no remorse jumping on koopas and goombas all day.

Also, I don't think Luigi ever gets properly discharged from the Bowser Baddies. To this day he is still considered a soldier in Bowser's army and will be brought before a military court under charges of desertion if captured.