(shouting)

JUMP ½ - Half a jump is still a jump

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: JUMP ϕ(14)/ϕ(13) - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by KobaBeach »

ano0maly wrote: Yeah um Pyro I can understand that you feel you've had enough of reading this, but when you first make a post again in over a year and it's this, I think it just escalates the situation further. Do we really need to respond to loud arguing with even louder yelling like this?
thank you jesus christ what the fuck @ pyro
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Emral
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/

Post by Emral »

ano0maly wrote: I really don't get why JUMPhalf discussion has become this much of a dumpster. I thought the quality of the hack and the experience has improved since the original JUMP????
Maybe it's related to the people that make up the discussion, rather than the hack itself. It's so easy to say something negative that will spiral into a fight of viewpoints and I'm pretty dang sure this is far from the first LP this has happened to in this community [citation needed beyond hypnosis redo and JUMP since I don't follow LP threads too much].

Perhaps it's a tad more fair in this sense to interpret Pyro's statement as built-up frustration with how some people consistently contribute to the fire. It's easy to pin her down for poor manners but if you do so while skipping over the message contained within that's also not really helping anyone learn from situations like this.
I do things. You can find them on my talkhaus site. https://enjl.talkhaus.com/
Here is another link. This one lets you draw.
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/draw.html
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

yk had already apologized if you weren't aware
YelseyKing wrote: I wholly acknowledge that may very well be the case. I do have a bad tendency to misread/misinterpret what people say, and then respond inappropriately (or, rather, in my mind, it's the appropriate response, but since I misinterpreted it, to everyone *else*, it's the wrong direction). It's a personal flaw I'm well aware I have, and in that regard, I do apologize for being out of line.
and discussion was dying down before people started picking at his original post again
if anything you're just making the situation worse
Image Image
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Enjl wrote: 4 years ago Perhaps it's a tad more fair in this sense to interpret Pyro's statement as built-up frustration with how some people consistently contribute to the fire. It's easy to pin her down for poor etiquette but if you do so while skipping over the message contained within that's also not really helping anyone learn from situations like this.
Ironically enough, I'm not mad at her in the slightest, nor do I blame her for what she said, in all honesty. We were discussing this on Discordhaus, and it got me to thinking. Frankly, I understand JUMP team's frustration. They worked hard on the hack, had a lot of stress over it, then some asshole like me comes along and nitpicks. I don't blame them for being angry, when I think about it like that. My posts have just gotten progressively more and more heated because I felt like I was talking to a wall at times.

That all said, Ryrir explained what Jumphalf was supposed to be, and... well, I get it now. I think the problem stems from the early impressions, in which it *is* much easier and more balanced than JUMP. It just starts to get vicious later on, and given the early game, it's that much more jarring; from worlds 1-6, it plays out like a somewhat more challenging SMW, though nothing *extreme*, but from level 7 on, it gets about as hard as JUMP did at that same point. I don't think it's necessarily *bad*, but as something (as far as I know; correct me if I'm wrong) touted in development as being "more accessible", it... doesn't always come across that way. Maybe it was more bad "marketing" than bad design.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
idol
its only scary if its wet
First name: idol
Pronouns: she/her

Post by idol »

is all of this vitriol and hate what jumper sacrificed himself for
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

ya
Image Image
Emral
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/

Post by Emral »

YelseyKing wrote: That all said, Ryrir explained what Jumphalf was supposed to be, and... well, I get it now. I think the problem stems from the early impressions, in which it *is* much easier and more balanced than JUMP. It just starts to get vicious later on, and given the early game, it's that much more jarring; from worlds 1-6, it plays out like a somewhat more challenging SMW, though nothing *extreme*, but from level 7 on, it gets about as hard as JUMP did at that same point. I don't think it's necessarily *bad*, but as something (as far as I know; correct me if I'm wrong) touted in development as being "more accessible", it... doesn't always come across that way. Maybe it was more bad "marketing" than bad design.
Yeah, there happens to be some bad marketing it seems alongisde lolyoshi's insistence that his difficulty spike shan't be nerfed, but I believe that's all been discussed and while it makes me sad, such is life I guess. I forget if the others decided to talk about this yet as a preventative measure but I know that a2xt2 is going to ensure a "player first" policy to prevent such a blunder (in reaction to this).
I do things. You can find them on my talkhaus site. https://enjl.talkhaus.com/
Here is another link. This one lets you draw.
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/draw.html
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

ano0maly wrote: 4 years ago I really don't get why JUMPhalf discussion has become this much of a dumpster
tbqh I'm surprised this sort of thing hasn't happened sooner and/or more often

Like, as a distinctly non-Mario person, the biggest takeaway I've had from years of threads and YouTube comments is that roughly 90% of Mario people in the raocow orbit have Mario egos that strongly believe they aren't catered to enough, no matter which side of any given Mario disagreement they fall on, and it tends to make Mario threads decidedly less pleasant to be in than non-Mario threads

But that's just, like, my opinion, man
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

This is something I've always been curious about-- how much does an impression about the level impact gameplay? If one sees JUMP1/2 described as being tamer than JUMP, will the player get irritable after just a few deaths of learning? On the other hand, if a level is described as being the hardest level ever made, will the player get irritable even after hundreds, thousands of deaths?

I think mindset has a ton to do with how much one enjoys a level, which is kind of sad.

More evidence vv
I've watched a stream of someone trying to solve puzzles such as in Maw of the Beast, and he was in the mindset of "I shall finish this game by tonight", leading to impatience and overall bad times. I'm willing to bet that if the streamer played the level at his leisure, he would have appreciated the creativity a lot more.
Mosts Awards:
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I don't remember the original JUMP thread to be this bad, even though the first JUMP had a bit less polish to it.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

The thread isn't that bad. There are a handful of awful posts. That doesn't mean every post connected to them is awful.

You can make it a more positive place by contributing positive discussion instead of metaposting about it from a distance.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
idol
its only scary if its wet
First name: idol

Post by idol »

i haven't read any of the past few pages and im not gonna bother but basically:

jumphalf is just supposed to be a creative and interesting hack. it's more accessible than jump, but that doesn't mean it's super accessible to everyone. it has a difficulty curve that ramps up and when it hits, it hits. much of jumphalf was about the creator and the personality behind each levels mixed with a global hack standard. lolyoshi's levels often have vanilla music and are more influenced by jp hacks - much how he himself hacks. inversely, my levels are usually chocolate all the way around (i saw you is one of the most vanilla non-vldc levels ive ever made, but bossest is one of the few levels with an hdma background for example). my levels reflect my ethos of level creation.

morsels contributions are very morsel, pyros contributions are very pyro. world 7-onwards may be the hardest part, but it's also the shortest compared to the 6 worlds that come before it - 6 worlds of levels that are chalk full of love and creative output.
YelseyKing wrote:But that doesn't mean I think it couldn't be *even better* with a few changes. It's just that the JUMP team seems to be so incredibly defensive and inflexible about it, that I'm finding it *very* frustrating.
what you think is even better many others won't really care about. it's less about being defensive and inflexible and more about the fact that... well, it's already released and with months and months of polish these decisions are fully intended. it's fine to say "fuck smw music", but there's no real avenue here to even debate about whether or not there should've been because the decision was made long long ago. while "jump team" is nearly on its' third iteration now of different people, the core idea of jump team projects is always personality-infused creation. jump team isn't ever going to try to make an smwcp2, or a faceless collaboration hack. chances are, unfortunately for you, that the issues you have aren't going to be resolved in anything made by the jump team. as long as we allow people to inject their personality into their creations, there is always going to be inconsistency. but with this comes passion and love for what these people make. there's a big reason why the quality of jump team projects are as high as they are - there's the freedom of expression and the challenge of level design knowledge together to make something that isn't lazy (unless it's made by lazy), or half-assed, or all-around bland. allowing ones' personality to affect the way they create in a controlled environment is how jump levels are so recognizable.
YelseyKing wrote:Frankly, I understand JUMP team's frustration. They worked hard on the hack, had a lot of stress over it, then some asshole like me comes along and nitpicks.
i think there's a lot less frustration about a random person bitching about the hack so much as the environment (this one) in which it's consistently being fueled, and the animosity of the language used. this hack is widely appreciated many places other than here, other than by raocow or even you in the ways you like it. one person calling it a shitshow isn't gonna make anyone cry - but continuously engaging in a negative environment through pages of arguments over inane things will build up frustration a lot.

i'm kind of taken aback at how like... a community centered around some nice as shit french canadian could boil into something this seemingly hate-fueled, but it's all kinds of bizarre.

anyways boof.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

ft029 wrote: 4 years ago This is something I've always been curious about-- how much does an impression about the level impact gameplay? If one sees JUMP1/2 described as being tamer than JUMP, will the player get irritable after just a few deaths of learning? On the other hand, if a level is described as being the hardest level ever made, will the player get irritable even after hundreds, thousands of deaths?
Well, I certainly don't speak for everyone, but how easy or hard a game is marketed as has an effect on how I go into it. If I know a game is supposed to be hard and unforgiving, I tend to go in very apprehensively... or I just don't play it at all, as I'm not super confident in my own abilities. If I go into it believing it's easy, I'll often find myself taken aback by how hard the game can get at times. If I *don't* know it's supposed to be hard *or* easy (i.e. I go in effectively blind), I'll often find myself doing *much* better than expected, simply because I don't have any preconceived notions about what the game "should" be like.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Leet

Post by Leet »

idol wrote: i haven't read any of the past few pages and im not gonna bother

continuously engaging in a negative environment through pages of arguments over inane things

i'm kind of taken aback at how like... a community centered around some nice as shit french canadian could boil into something this seemingly hate-fueled
It really isn't that bad
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Kilgamayan wrote: 4 years ago Like, as a distinctly non-Mario person, the biggest takeaway I've had from years of threads and YouTube comments is that roughly 90% of Mario people in the raocow orbit have Mario egos that strongly believe they aren't catered to enough, no matter which side of any given Mario disagreement they fall on, and it tends to make Mario threads decidedly less pleasant to be in than non-Mario threads
hard agree, like this shows even on smwc, it's an unbearable place to be if you just want to be a creator

like i kind of feel dread upon trying to do anything with asm compared to like just learning how to draw because i know whatever i make will just be shat on (for not being good enough in terms of level design) or envied (for daring to have original asm and possibly relying on it) by the "hardcore elite" who see through the general opinion and see that it's just "as bad as brutal mario". or ill just be hounded by roberto-likes who will harass me endlessly to code bad megaman bosses for them

at least with furries i can just learn as i go and no one will rake me over the coals for daring to not make super vanilla world 2000 with the best level design ever

most of this is probably bitterness from incidents like me being told i "wasn't a beginner" by noivern just because i knew asm despite the fact i literally paralyze if i try to do literally anything other than code

like i'm legit ashamed of a stage i did a few weeks ago because i feel like its level design isnt as creative as the VIP stage i based it on

ft029 wrote: This is something I've always been curious about-- how much does an impression about the level impact gameplay? If one sees JUMP1/2 described as being tamer than JUMP, will the player get irritable after just a few deaths of learning? On the other hand, if a level is described as being the hardest level ever made, will the player get irritable even after hundreds, thousands of deaths?

I think mindset has a ton to do with how much one enjoys a level, which is kind of sad.
I want to say it impacts a lot like, at least if something is described as being "the hardest thing ever", I kind of know beforehand to just let myself have a break and use tools or just ignore if it gets too much to handle.

OTOH, JUMP half being described as being less harder kind of made me more "receptive"(?) to the game. I wasn't bailing on it halfway (world 3/4 ish) through like I did with the first one, the only reason I haven't gotten past world 3 is that levels got serious and I sort of haven't gotten the strength to go through the rest of the game.

Leet wrote:
idol wrote: i haven't read any of the past few pages and im not gonna bother

continuously engaging in a negative environment through pages of arguments over inane things

i'm kind of taken aback at how like... a community centered around some nice as shit french canadian could boil into something this seemingly hate-fueled
It really isn't that bad
i have to go with idol here, sorry.
Image Image
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

ft029 wrote: 4 years ago I think mindset has a ton to do with how much one enjoys a level, which is kind of sad.

More evidence vv
I've watched a stream of someone trying to solve puzzles such as in Maw of the Beast, and he was in the mindset of "I shall finish this game by tonight", leading to impatience and overall bad times. I'm willing to bet that if the streamer played the level at his leisure, he would have appreciated the creativity a lot more.
Yeah raoguy himself has been evidence for years now that blind-LPing difficult games with a self-imposed time limit on progress is not always a great idea. One Step Forward in particular I think ended up looking worse in "today's" video than it actually is because there were a fair number of poor gameplay decisions that led to deaths and built frustration, which I imagine was further fueled by the length of time spent playing the game. The impatience was especially evident with the jump from the upward-moving platform elevator near the end of the level; a calm and rational mind would expect that it would be silly to not try to jump until the platform hits the peak of its end-of-track leap, but an impatient attitude leads to rushing and jumping early and failing to get enough height to reach the pipe, which causes further frustration, and it becomes a death spiral.

I thought One Step Forward's design was actually very clever and well done and that the difficulty from the vast majority, if not entirety, of the level comes from demanding smart decisions and good execution, even though the level provides ample opportunity for the player to do both.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Leet

Post by Leet »

In the past five pages (estimating, not literally counting) there have been four posts that I think are particularly rude or rude-adjacent. They have been one each from Morsel, Koba, Yelsey and Pyro. Not pages and pages of hate-fueled arguing. I seriously advocate just taking peoples posts at face value instead of assembling a composite mood and assigning it to all the posts. I talked to Yelsey about his post and it was mostly cordial. It was not "hate-fueled". Those rude posts I mentioned were also not "hate-fueled". That's a silly word to use.

To be fair there was a stretch of pages a while back that I didn't read because I wasn't caught up, but that was a long time ago now.

Btw about One Step Forward and Kilgamayan's post, I used the movie theater for the puzzle (I don't like this puzzle sorry) and thus I did not spend a long time working on it, and thus the second half went by super fast for me. So that assessment sounds about right.
Last edited by Leet 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

is the discourse the true final boss of jump
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Nabmeonr890
shuba
First name: Zander

Post by Nabmeonr890 »

All I've gathered from this is that people get really pissed off at criticism of JUMP 1/2. Though I do definitely agree that Yelsey could have worded his posts a little better, being kinda rude.
unban me from smwcentral plzkthx
also wew lad
nothobz
of the jungle
First name: george

Post by nothobz »

i completely forgot that thw entire potion puzzle was just for a yoshi coin. with how long it took me to figure out i misremembered it was for a secret exit or something. :lol:

i cant get caught up on the discourse because i have a full time job and other important social responsibilities, but I noticed in magl3 a lot of the negative comments on levels stemmed from parroting the quick, mild complaints that raocow spit out while playing as if they were deal-breaking mistakes made by the designers. (like, people's specific issues with levels never really went past timestamps in raocow's playthrough, meaning if he himself messed up in a set-up and complained about it the set-up itself was viewed as the problem.)
I've noticed in a lot of the jump 1/2 vids i've watched he's always quick to shift blame away from the level onto himself, and i wonder if this is an attempt at trying to rectify this issue, deliberately or not. or if this is also something im misremembering LOL
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

I can kinda imagine the pain involved here. jumphalf is one of the best romhacks... no, one of the best games to come out of the bowels of the romhacking world. Imagine putting all the effort that went into making everything feel just right (literally, 90% of the time and effort this game was in production for. Just... three whole years spent polishing everything) and what you can't help but hear is nitpick after nitpick. Not even helpful criticism -- just, nitpick after nitpick.

And imagine that, whenever you go and explain the extremely deliberate nature of your design choices (3-years worth of deliberation, it cannot be understated), you're being called out for being "defensive".

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more disgusted I become.
video games
mellonpizza
working
First name: pizza

Post by mellonpizza »

I'm not a YTPMV'er. My goal is towards learning music and eventually making my own content with what I like (in this case ponies). I'm still studying how music works and this is what I can do so far, so to all the ytpmv'ers out there: Please stop following my videos, cause I'm not interested in making chiptune music with your rules you set up on how to make YTPMV's. Also I'd appreciate if you guys would lay off bronies in the comment section, cause these are made for them and not for people who
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

So the first half of WE LOVE PIRANHA was based off of SMW's Awesome, right? I got some strong vibes there.

Also between the double jump level and the the goo level,
and levels we haven't seen yet,
I am extremely happy to see the game continue to introduce concepts even in the postgame. In that sense Jumphalf does feel like the original SMW. It still has levels thay focus on one central concept that (often) are never seen again afterwards.
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

A lot of this discourse is why, again, I've made my own opinions regarding levels by playing the game myself in... well maybe not entirely my own way, but attempting as much as possible to play the game legitimately (if only because I'll admit there's a minor pressure, being a not-quite-very-skilled SMW player compared to most level designers on the JUMP team, to do things "legit," especially when people are capable of doing the whole thing no switches/no store item powerups).

There were levels and times I had a hard time on and bluntly some of the levels up to now have had sections I've questioned, yet there are other sections that were hard I didn't mind trying over and over again. I'm still not entirely sure about that, but like, I'll still say my overall opinion on the hack has been positive, at least regarding the main game, and even though some save-stating was involved in some places, a fair amount of the post game was fun too.

Granted, I have been angrily ranting about certain levels in places outside the Talkhaus, there are bits I still consider unfun (at least for someone of my skill level, I imagine raocow having way more fun with some of the last bits of the game than I have been), though at the same time, I don't want to be mad at the product as a whole, because like all collabs, there's good and there's bad. There's level design sensibilities I like a lot more from some folk than others. And on the whole, I still think like the main game is completely fine with like, maybe an exception or two (Cave of Moving Sponges, etc.). My opinion of the game mainly shifts to "what were people thinking when designing this?" towards the end, as more and more of the difficulty comes up and the design sensibilities of the postgame endgame clash with my own. And... whatever? I'm one person with one set of opinions on a hack being played by a pretty wide audience? And it's not like the game can change or anything at this point. But I still feel giving an opinion is worth something, and criticism, as long as it's made intelligently and doesn't just amount to screening at a wall for ten hours or more, should be considered, though also with JUMP, it's always going to come down to people making what they want to make, so in the end, a lot of opinions and criticisms won't change the kind of personality put into a level.

I don't know where I was going with this. Feel free to call me the craziest. Anyhow WE LOVE PIRAHNA was a weird but kind of a breather level? And... well, I had a lot of troubles with the paste level due to a tiny bit of awkwardness of some setups where you had to quickly let go of jump and then press it again, but that's about it.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Demo has mad bubblegum in her hair now.

Does the weird Momentumizer item actually make the disco-hopping section harder?