(shouting)

JUMP ½ - Half a jump is still a jump

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Re: JUMP log₉3 - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by Arctangent »

that boss bass level would've been made x10000 better if the bass devoured any sprite it came across

which is an idea i might have to steal. from myself. half from myself. some fraction idk how to attribute credit in this context
gbreeze

Post by gbreeze »

Boss baby yoshi bass
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

Arctangent wrote: 4 years ago that boss bass level would've been made x10000 better if the bass devoured any sprite it came across

which is an idea i might have to steal. from myself. half from myself. some fraction idk how to attribute credit in this context
I KNOW, RIGHT!? I had the same thought myself, and was so disappointed it only ate you in a specific situation :(
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Jump around jump around and get down

Post by Awoo »

Boss Bass Bossa Nova

jk it's Fuzz Power

but that track's actually ripped off from one called "Bossa Nova" so ha

nyoro~n
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

SMW will always have the best overworld system.

Too bad SMBX can't replicate this.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
General_Urist

Post by General_Urist »

I agree with raocow: The music in this level sounds bangin' and kinda familiar, but I can't put my finger on what it is.
repairmanman

Post by repairmanman »

The map is one of my favorite things.
Nothing to see here
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

General_Urist wrote: 4 years ago I agree with raocow: The music in this level sounds bangin' and kinda familiar, but I can't put my finger on what it is.
I sounds sorta like this

but not exactly.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

SAJewers wrote: 4 years ago
General_Urist wrote: 4 years ago I agree with raocow: The music in this level sounds bangin' and kinda familiar, but I can't put my finger on what it is.
I sounds sorta like this
-vid-

but not exactly.
That's exactly what it is. Though I can't find it on smwc... Perhaps it was a port made just for this hack.

So THAT MAP. Hahahahahah I love it, that's what happens when you earthquake too much, Demo!
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Arctangent wrote: 4 years ago that boss bass level would've been made x10000 better if the bass devoured any sprite it came across

have it check if the sprite's hitbox is intersecting with the mouth area (varying depending on the direction the sprite is facing obv) by forwarding a custom hitbox that corresponds to the boss bass' mouth (i think?) and the hitbox of the sprite it's interacting ($03B6E5) with to the contact check subroutine ($03B72B) and if it returns positive (carry set) play gulp noise (LoaD to Accumulator #$06 and STore Accumulator to $1DF9) and set the other sprite's status to deleted (STore Zero to $14C8)

and set the boss bass' graphics pointer to closed mouth if it has one for swallowing?

off the top of my head that's what i'd do. it's actually pretty easy, just make sure you're ready to spend some patience debugging and testing to make sure it works properly and optimally.

there are sprites in smwc like the tap-tap the red nose from SMWCP that use custom hitboxes, you could use their code to help guide yourself. you can also find the original sprite clipping routine at $03B69F but it's coded for general purpose so it loads X displacement (how far left the top left corner of the hitbox is from the sprite's top left 8x8 corner in it's spawn point within the level), width (extends right, negative values ($80 to $FF) result in glitches), Y displacement (how far up the top left corner of the hitbox is from the sprite's top left 8x8 corner in it's spawn point within the level) and length (extends downward) from tables indexed by sprite value.

by the top left corner of the sprite i mean the top left of the little [X] that pops up when you place it in lunar magic. for instance, regardless of how its drawn in the graphics routine, the first 8x8 tile it draws is always its "origin point" so to say. so think of it that way (graphics aren't needed for hitboxes i'm just speaking in relative terms)

macros and the like would probably come really handy here because of how the mouth swaps positions depending on whether the graphics are horizontally flipped or not. if you dont use em im coming for your ass.

sorry if any of this is confusing and/or incomprehensible (^^;)

bomberman discus
bomberman is really nice but the games get a bit repetitive to play on long sessions..... i did beat super bomberman 1 once and i have fond memories of playing super bomberman 5, bomberman hero and bomberman 64 tsa on emulator (never liked bomberman 64 1) and bomberman pce on dos (as dyna blaster)

thinking of trying out bomberman world and saturn bomberman for those bangin' soundtracks tho

music for both versions of the submap is scorch n torch from tropical freeze, the beach rendition just goes for a more Costa Del Sol-ish spin on the track in a mix of moodsetting for the beach area and foreshadowing for the later underground lava section

i'm personally glad ASM usage in overworld design is starting to be a bit in vogue again since the days of Brutal Mario and VIP5, but I wish it was more accessible for the common ASMer. last i checked, the patch from VLDC9 was the only functional way to code in new content, as the previous "Overworld SpriteTools" were deprecated (in carol's instance) or stopped functioning altogether (in Alcaro's instance)

i'm sure patches allow for more flexibility in terms of messing with code directly but i dunno... i'd still rather have either a tool or a disassembly. blame my stubbornness

i do have a friend who is super bitter because he loved making overworld designs in the olden days of smwc and now everyone only cares about asm because of vldc9 regardless of how well the overworld is constructed so he can't compete anymore because he's bad at programming but stupidly good at actual map design and tbh i just blame smwc being filled with impressionable children lmaooooo
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

overworld design is literally the least important part of a smw romhack
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

okay...????? so?
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Grounder wrote: 4 years ago overworld design is literally the least important part of a smw romhack
hard disagree like it gives secret exits a purpose
Image Image
KobaBeach

Re: JUMP ξ(1) - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by KobaBeach »

oh yeah i also played neo bomberman
Image Image
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

and, yet again, raocow has destroyed the world

also i meant to post this yesterday, a level concept based off dire dire diet

the same thing but if you eat anything during a level (a mushroom, a flower, tho not a cape) you lose the swimming ability. you violated your diet, mario-demo-boon!
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

Having the beach cave in to reveal the underground map as you exit the earthquake level is a really cool detail. This game is full of neat little touches like that.
Emral
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/

Post by Emral »

Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago SMW will always have the best overworld system.

SMW's overworld system is fantastic and far outclasses SMBX's, but if you phrase a statement like that 2nd paragraph like that you're running the risk of me doing it, haha

SMBX can definitely do it, but it depends on where you draw the line I guess. My own approach would be using a .lvlx file rather than a .wld file, to give a hint of how much I need to circumvent ;p
I do things. You can find them on my talkhaus site. https://enjl.talkhaus.com/
Here is another link. This one lets you draw.
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/draw.html
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago sorry if any of this is confusing and/or incomprehensible (^^;)
actually i really appreciate the guidance and i love knowing more how games tick internally

but i moreso meant in lunalua n~yoron
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

Remember back in world 1 where we had the small fakeout of going into the caves rather than right to the castle when we got to the cliff face? That was a nice cute thing. Then this happens, and man, talk about a much bigger fake-out. I would've honestly originally expected that you get to the beach sandcastle, then after that is another submap where Bowser's Castle actually is.

Instead it turns out it was right there all along, and no amount of sand can cover up literal hell. Man, the earthquake event in SMW is powerful and I love when it gets used for really neat overworld shifts like this. Like, the overworld in a hack isn't really the biggest thing in the large sense but at the same time I've always loved seeing world maps in games and how things all look and fit together, so things like this are always cool, and SMW having an event built in to trigger a major late-game change also fits in with another thing I like of "something big changes in the endgame to the world map in some way." Granted it's probably not fully vanilla and it probably takes some amount of coding to do what's desired right but hey, that's a lot of props to the folks who coded it too.

...That was a lot of rambling to say I liked this.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

That's not a resort. :toaster:
ImageImage
gbreeze

Post by gbreeze »

Validon98 wrote: 4 years ago Granted it's probably not fully vanilla and it probably takes some amount of coding to do what's desired right but hey, that's a lot of props to the folks who coded it too.
You're absolutely right! It's not vanilla. Huge props to worldpeace for coding this awesome event. Also, while we're on the topic, we have worldpeace to thank for the great storehouse items as well. He put them all together and came up with quite a few of the ideas himself as well. He made all the ASM for all the items and it's quite impressive what he was able to make. We are really grateful for his work!

The graphics for the storehouse items were the only thing not made by worldpeace and were instead ripped from various games. For example, the special chuck boots graphic comes from spongebob: revenge of the flying dutchman for the gba.
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

Enjl wrote: 4 years ago
Sebby19 wrote: 4 years ago SMW will always have the best overworld system.

SMW's overworld system is fantastic and far outclasses SMBX's, but if you phrase a statement like that 2nd paragraph like that you're running the risk of me doing it, haha

SMBX can definitely do it, but it depends on where you draw the line I guess. My own approach would be using a .lvlx file rather than a .wld file, to give a hint of how much I need to circumvent ;p
Enjl absolutely would too, he's kind of a force of nature when it comes to bending the engine to his will.

That being said, can we put some kind of moratorium on mentioning SMBX in this thread from here on out? Like, seriously, I thought we were long past this, just enjoy the dang hack without trying to provoke unnecessary arguments
:ehh:
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

So I think two vids ago, raocow was wondering if Dire Dire Diet was above Old New York because theruijed atlantis tiles were the same. I've only eyeballed it, but I think it kind of is!
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

All right, that earthquake level was *super* creative. One of my favorite levels so far. And the way the map completely changes afterwards... it's those sort of totally unnecessary yet absolutely awesome touches that make me love this hack. But I'm kinda disappointed in a way, too... I wanted to see what was inside that sand castle. :P
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

YelseyKing wrote: 4 years ago All right, that earthquake level was *super* creative. One of my favorite levels so far. And the way the map completely changes afterwards... it's those sort of totally unnecessary yet absolutely awesome touches that make me love this hack. But I'm kinda disappointed in a way, too... I wanted to see what was inside that sand castle. :P
sand
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage