(shouting)

JUMP ½ - Half a jump is still a jump

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
gbreeze

Re: JUMP (1/4 + 1/8 + 1/16 + 1/32 + 1/64 + ...) - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by gbreeze »

The first half is actually somewhat related to the 2nd half. Both make frequent use of throw blocks and are both autoscrollers. Also, I don't think it's that big of a deal if two sections of a level aren't super related, as long as they're fun
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

That death laugh kinda scared the hell out of me at first
freshtalk

Post by freshtalk »

I'm voting this one as the best of the switch palaces. Every section is so neat and feels so good to get through.
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

So according to the quick calculations I did and like, actual usage of Wolfram Alpha, the answer is actually neither of the given options. It's 5.66 repeating if you do it in the direct order listed, or 10.66 repeating if done with normal order of operations. Turns out the integral of 1/e^x from 0 to infinity is just 1. :V

(Outside of that, it's a neat level)

EDIT: I was horribly mistaken and as pointed out, there is a floor function, which actually does make the correct answer 6.2 (rounded to the nearest tenth). I am a fool who has never seen anyone use floor in an integral but well there's a first time for everything.
Last edited by Validon98 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
repairmanman

Post by repairmanman »

oh lol, someone already did the math.

I agree that it's wrong
Nothing to see here
cozyduck

Post by cozyduck »

Sorry folks, but it's 1/e^floor(x). The math seems fine.
Implo

Post by Implo »

Blue Switch Palace - I actually done the room with stacking math platforms differently. Instead I combine them in the same way like math platforms in the first room in second half. This way I created wide platform and I could run+fly to door. I didn't knew that stacked math platforms can give Mario momentum to fly. It's not like this game ever really inform about that.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Spicy take: the first half of the switch palace, the obstacle course, was cool and all, but the second half, the puzzles, were so well-made and had enough content that the first half could probably have been cut. But I understand why you wouldn't cut it, because it was still good. I suspect I'm just aggressive in cutting stuff.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Mata Hari wrote: 4 years ago Spicy take: the first half of the switch palace, the obstacle course, was cool and all, but the second half, the puzzles, were so well-made and had enough content that the first half could probably have been cut. But I understand why you wouldn't cut it, because it was still good. I suspect I'm just aggressive in cutting stuff.
There was enough material for anywhere from 2 to 4 whole puzzle levels, but as the epic-length last switch it was still worth being kept together. Especially since the halves were segmented very nicely and were almost never punishing.
churine
Pronouns: she/her

Post by churine »

its okay it was long because the palace was clearly for 4 switches at the end :demo:
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Re: JUMP |(6.2-6.3)*5| - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by Crow »

Can't wait for the pink and orange switch palaces, though the purple is my personal favorite
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

What music track plays in that ice forest level? It’s so familiar to me.
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

MonkeyShrapnel wrote: 4 years ago What music track plays in that ice forest level? It’s so familiar to me.
Bouken Desho Desho, OP1 of Haruhi Suzumiya. But not the best quality version of it ever...
MiracleWater

Re: JUMP |ζ(0)| - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by MiracleWater »

Mata Hari wrote: 4 years ago My initial assumption was that the gimmick came first and then the creator decided there wasn't enough mileage in it
In short, no. The disparity in design between the two halves was purposeful. I feel a good comparison would be something like 'Scaffolding Scuffle' from JUMP (though a much better level than my own)—the first half being a challenging platformer and the second half throwing in a wild gimmick, while keeping the theme of sumo fire. Similarly, I tried to keep the theme of throw blocks throughout.

You could also consider the second half as more of a pseudo boss rather than part of the level itself.
Last edited by MiracleWater 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I will concur that this switch palace was great and the jokes were very funny! Great job, author!
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

The switch palace might've been a bit long, but damn, it was impressive.
ImageImage
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

Wow, I'm glad raocow showcased all the puzzles in an outstanding way, and thanks for appreciating the puzzles and jokes! The level went through more iterations than I can count because I was never satisfied with the puzzles I made for the 2nd half. It started off as a maze through the hub with some kaizo-y shell babysitting; I made it easier, but it was still too tricky for controller users; then it became a 1-up babysitting challenge (all of which I hope will be in JUMPbeta). Finally, after much procrastination, I made the mini flight puzzles here. Although it's a little long, I'm very happy with the final product :D

Some more dev story: I made the first half of the level when I had not learned calculus yet, so I googled difficult integrals and put
, which, 2 years later, I realized was quite easy. So, I replaced it with the hardest integral I could think of that was succinct due to space limitations. But, a few weeks later, I realized this integral doesn't even require calculus!
Using the Riemann sum definition, the integral turns into the series 1 + 1/e + 1/(e^2) + ..., a geometric series.
Finally, here's the image if you clip yourself into the 6.2 and 6.3 area:
Mosts Awards:
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

I'd love to know what the music in Rude Bridge is, it's really good.
repairmanman

Post by repairmanman »

I don't think you can actually do the integral without the riemann sum(now that I have been shown that it was floor and not just square brackets).

Was the joke at the end of the penguin spanking level that the chuck spanked demo?
Nothing to see here
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

dev comm for RUDE BRIDGE:
How did Night of Semiramis get so low? That level was amazing... It had everything. It was simply put- sexy. And it was 42nd? Just a few videos ago there was Level 102 with 10 bonsai bills all like "I HOPE I WIN!!!1!". Although it was through the internet powers of raocow, I really REELY liked it. I considered entering a level, but it wasn't going to be as good as this! How did it earn 42nd? Why not top ten? Are the other levels really that eye-melting? Granted, 41 was nice too... Is the community really that good? This is a really exciting problem for a nerd like me!
video games
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: JUMP (1^(√2))/(8^(1/3)) - Quarter jump is half a half

Post by Awoo »

Oh, man, Bumpty! It's so neat to see them again, just like that e-reader level from ages ago that's still one of my all-time favorite raocow LPs
So is this game now, too, more SMBX than SMBX? :rao:
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Mandew wrote: 4 years ago dev comm for RUDE BRIDGE:
How did Night of Semiramis get so low? That level was amazing... It had everything. It was simply put- sexy. And it was 42nd? Just a few videos ago there was Level 102 with 10 bonsai bills all like "I HOPE I WIN!!!1!". Although it was through the internet powers of raocow, I really REELY liked it. I considered entering a level, but it wasn't going to be as good as this! How did it earn 42nd? Why not top ten? Are the other levels really that eye-melting? Granted, 41 was nice too... Is the community really that good? This is a really exciting problem for a nerd like me!

strongbadman wrote: I'd love to know what the music in Rude Bridge is, it's really good.
Underworld Forest from Last Bible III. Overused music track on SMWC as of recent years (seems to have died out by now).
Still need to play more MegaTen games

Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Re: JUMP (1^(√2))/(8^(1/3)) - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by FrozenQuills »

yeah the ice/sky map is ugly after unlocking everything. I totally did that for replay value, yep :)
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
Filbi
A Hobbit
Pronouns: they/them

Re: JUMP (13 Mod 6)/(35 Mod 3) - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by Filbi »

"I can't wait until this forest is not recognizable as a forest anymore."
world3.png
world3.png (460.02 KiB) Viewed 3043 times
raocow, despoiler of nature
I change this sig every year for Advent