(shouting)

JUMP ½ - Half a jump is still a jump

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: JUMP 'n Half

Post by Awoo »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago
Nimono wrote: 4 years ago "i saw you in the forest" when the level's about saws

i didnt even realize that i thought it was just idol being vaguely ominous as she always is
You never...

Saw it coming,
Did you? nyoro~n
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Re: JUMP |(√(-1))/(√(-4))| - Half a junp is still a junp

Post by Crow »

Those were some rad puzzle levels today tbh
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Re: JUMP 'n Half

Post by Voltgloss »

Awoo wrote: 4 years ago You never...

Saw it coming,
Did you? nyoro~n
i see what you did there

am i doing this right
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

I think sensible non-pun names that describe a level are preferable to silly names with no relation to anything whatsoever, but I also think that level names is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay far down the list of SMW Things Worth Getting Into a Tizzy About.

Regarding the vertical section of Spongeland, I would have to go back and rewatch the level, but I seem to recall that it always gives the player a breather space before they have to execute any series of difficult jumps. If a player has a chance to see everything coming plan, or if an offscreen obstacle is set up in such a way that a reasonable reflex/reaction based in the heat of the moment will get the player through, then the difficulty is fine even if it's really hard. Only when there are traps offscreen that are difficult/impossible to address without knowing about them in advance they're coming does the difficulty creep into the unfair BS area.

Today's puzzle levels were both super cool beans. I liked raoguy immediately forgetting that he accidentally knocked the shell into the block the goomba was sitting on and blaming it going wrong on the innocent kicker turtle in the first level.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Implo

Post by Implo »

Nao wrote: 4 years ago I don't think puzzle levels were considered much when making these claims. They vary from easy to really difficult in both games, depending on the player's experience with specific mechanics, too. Most of them (atleast in JUMP1/2) are not very punishing though and the more difficult ones have movies in case you can't figure them out.
The hardest levels from JUMP included kaizo-like obstacles (Pixel Perfect) or a marathon with precision platforming (Depraved Stronghold), which I don't think anything in JUMP1/2 comes close to.
Let me explain. I'm aware that the switch level has resets and no time limit, so it should be more approachable. But it's not the case. You need to have big amount of precision that the hardest levels in JUMP had. And resets and no time limits means that you can get stuck on this level for eternity. If one level take me almost 1 hour with savestates, then for me it's indicator that this is very hard level. Similar amount of time took me exactly the hardest levels from JUMP. And I was forced to reload savestates a lot just like in this level. You know, not everybody has this good precision and understanding of the puzzles like raocow.
Nao
Pronouns: he

Post by Nao »

Implo wrote: 4 years ago
Nao wrote: 4 years ago I don't think puzzle levels were considered much when making these claims. They vary from easy to really difficult in both games, depending on the player's experience with specific mechanics, too. Most of them (atleast in JUMP1/2) are not very punishing though and the more difficult ones have movies in case you can't figure them out.
The hardest levels from JUMP included kaizo-like obstacles (Pixel Perfect) or a marathon with precision platforming (Depraved Stronghold), which I don't think anything in JUMP1/2 comes close to.
Let me explain. I'm aware that the switch level has resets and no time limit, so it should be more approachable. But it's not the case. You need to have big amount of precision that the hardest levels in JUMP had. And resets and no time limits means that you can get stuck on this level for eternity. If one level take me almost 1 hour with savestates, then for me it's indicator that this is very hard level. Similar amount of time took me exactly the hardest levels from JUMP. And I was forced to reload savestates a lot just like in this level. You know, not everybody has this good precision and understanding of the puzzles like raocow.
Understanding of the puzzles is one thing. But having played this hack myself, I'm not sure where levels like the switch palace require any precision, especially comparing to lategame JUMP levels seems ridiculous to me. It's just puzzle solving, the execution itself is rather simple (if you do the right things). I also don't understand what you'd need savestates for in that level, they seem to achieve nothing?

If this took you as much time as the hardest levels in JUMP, maybe you're just bad at solving puzzles but fairly good at platforming? Which is fine of course, but I think you speak for a small minority of players there.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Implo wrote: 4 years ago Seriously, I wonder why people are saying that JUMP HALF is easier than original? It doesn't feel that way for me.
because I was actually able to beat this game
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

Petition to change all the "M"s in the forum to Ns.
(Once this petition is certified, it'll now be called a forun.)
ImageImage
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Demo will be called Deno then. I don't think that would fly.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

I feel like there was another level recently that had an optional door... but I don't remember what was behind it for some reason... what was it again? Eh, maybe it doesn't matter
Implo

Post by Implo »

Nao wrote: 4 years ago Understanding of the puzzles is one thing. But having played this hack myself, I'm not sure where levels like the switch palace require any precision, especially comparing to lategame JUMP levels seems ridiculous to me. It's just puzzle solving, the execution itself is rather simple (if you do the right things). I also don't understand what you'd need savestates for in that level, they seem to achieve nothing?

If this took you as much time as the hardest levels in JUMP, maybe you're just bad at solving puzzles but fairly good at platforming? Which is fine of course, but I think you speak for a small minority of players there.
Well, I agree with you that some puzzles for me may be hard to understand, but in this level was different story. While I understood most of the puzzles may be hard for me, in this level I understood their solution pretty fast. I just had huge problem with execution, because it requires high amount of precision. Like with next switch palace I had much less problem: it's more puzzling, but it requires less precision. For example hitting yellow block with shell while standing on hand tiles. I understood immediately what I need to do, but it took me 10 min to execute it. Or jumping over explosion tiles with shell. That was weirdly difficult. It's so easy to destroy shell. I used savestates, because all parts of the level requires high amount of precision and if I would play without savestates, it would took me few hours to beat this level. I'm not ready for that.

Also have in mind that for a person who uses savestates, punishments aren't a problem. The real problem is execution of the level. This level was just too precise for me to play legitly.
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker

Post by Super Maks 64 »

I'm late to the discussion, but

The biggest problem with the Cave of the Moving Sponges for me is the lazy layer 2 scrolling code which has no acceleration/deceleration at all and doesn't move Mario or the sprites horizontally with it. This isn't really an issue in the first half, but it's really present in the second half where most of the jumps are made more awkward due to that. I don't mind the vertical scrolling however.
The worst part is the secret exit path which has even jankier layer 2 movement that doesn't even stop for a frame and the fact that it uses Pitchin Chucks with it doesn't help at all.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Piesonscreations wrote: 4 years agoPetition to change all the "N"s in the forum to Ns.
(Once this petition is certified, it'll now be called a forun.)
But all the Ns are already Ns?
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Re: JUMP sin(π/((3^2)-(3^1))) - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by Voltgloss »

So why does Koopa Hiking Trail claim to have only one exit?
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

Voltgloss wrote: 4 years ago So why does Koopa Hiking Trail claim to have only one exit?
It's a mistake that will be fixed in the eventual update.

Oh while I'm posting: The p-balloon in the cinema is supposed to be a lifefarm. Hover directly above the kicked shell and you'll rack up lives fairly fast.
this is getting laundromatic
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Voltgloss wrote: 4 years ago So why does Koopa Hiking Trail claim to have only one exit?
mindgames
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

So I solved that puzzle in the cinema differently, and I am 99% certain I did it in a bit more unintended way (maybe? maybe), but there is a very small fraction of time where if you bring a shell into that pipe, you can quickly place it down right in front of the pipe, run forward, grab the mushroom and star, let the star run out, then hit myself with the shell. It's very tight and I ended up killing the shell with the star a lot, but it is possible.

I realize now that maybe I was being silly. Probably. Didn't think about getting the baby Yoshi down but I guess this just means there's an alternative, way harder than you'd think variation on solving this puzzle.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by FourteenthOrder »

As of today raocow's now passed me, I need to get back to things

But that secret exit seemed really fun.
General_Urist

Post by General_Urist »

Damn that bovine, killing oodles of innocent hikers! For real though, raocow's Koopa hopping was pretty great!

Bowser's Cinema seems quite an interesting thing. I hope we'll get to see some of the movies eventually!
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

I like how you take a star warp, and suddenly... FF7 music, yo.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: JUMP sin(π/((3^2)-(3^1))) - Half 'n Half

Post by Awoo »

YelseyKing wrote: 4 years ago I like how you take a star warp, and suddenly... FF7 music, yo.
This guy are sick

Srsly though Cait Sith's theme really works well on SNES instrumentals. This whole hack's soundtrack is pretty amazing
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

Alice wrote: 4 years ago But all the Ns are already Ns?
This took me a bit to get, not gonna lie. :slow:
ImageImage
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Re: JUMP sin(π/((3^2)-(3^1))) - Half 'n Half

Post by YelseyKing »

Awoo wrote: 4 years ago Srsly though Cait Sith's theme really works well on SNES instrumentals. This whole hack's soundtrack is pretty amazing
It is indeed. SMW hack music has come a long way, it would seem.

Also, that's not the only FF7 song in today's video. That beach map uses the Costa Del Sol theme.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Oh, oh! raocow, what does 8-bit Mario look like with a P-Balloon?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
gbreeze

Post by gbreeze »

YelseyKing wrote:
Awoo wrote: 4 years ago Srsly though Cait Sith's theme really works well on SNES instrumentals. This whole hack's soundtrack is pretty amazing
It is indeed. SMW hack music has come a long way, it would seem.

Also, that's not the only FF7 song in today's video. That beach map uses the Costa Del Sol theme.
That's actually not correct. It's a completely different song, but there's no way of telling that from the vid today because he didn't stay on the map long enough.