(shouting)

JUMP ½ - Half a jump is still a jump

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: JUMP 1:2 - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by KobaBeach »

動くスポンジたちの洞窟 story

lolyoshi made a japanese hack inspired level and he was like "hey lion can you translate a thing for me" and i was like "k" and he was like "i want to name this stage The Cave of the Moving Sponges but in Japanese" and i was like "k its ugoku na suponji tachi no doukutsu" and he was like "ty" and then ryrir was speaking about it to eye and she was like "remove the na you're making it an imperative negative form of ugoku otherwise" and then they fixed it and then ajioshnskljz
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

Cave of Moving Sponges is probably the first level in the game I was so frustrated at how wonky the platforming was to use save states on, outside of like, the dragon coins in Brothers in Arms? Layer 2 sponge block shenanigans really are something else in terms of just, how they handle. First half is fine at least, but the second half with vertical ratchet scrolling... eesh.

Party in the House was neat though, and... I'm gonna go with "In Search of Lost Taste" for that second one, but that was pretty alright too (though that last rock race could've used a proper reset instead of just needing to kill yourself, which... okay, that admittedly also was something I ended up using a state on as well because that was a good place for a reset door, but the actual race itself was neat).
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

Validon98 wrote: 4 years ago I'm gonna go with "In Search of Lost Taste" for that second one
Agreed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Search_of_Lost_Time
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Re: JUMP cos(π/3) - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by Ashan »

I would have never noticed on my own that the structure at the end of the rock race is an olympic podium but that's a nice touch.
Valentine
[b]the[/b]
Pronouns: she/her
https://valentine.talkhaus.com/

Post by Valentine »

why doesn't the vertical section of sponge cave allow you to scroll downwards it is like the most pointless design decision which made me absolutely not enjoy playing the level at all.
:trans_pride:
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

Party in the House is inspired by one of the worst VLDC levels ever made: levelengine raging

As for the cave of the animated sponges, I really enjoyed the stress and thrill in the second half. The careful player can analyze the setups above and make a plan before executing it. However, I think the level was out of place for the hack despite how polished and well thought out the level was. Oh lolyoshi... we miss you.
Mosts Awards:
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I have no memory of having trouble on the second half of sponge level. But I did have a lot of trouble with the secret path.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I don't know why everyone decided that ratchet scrolling is bad for this level in particular. It just wants to keep you moving, which is not something I've ever seen people take issue with.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago I don't know why everyone decided that ratchet scrolling is bad for this level in particular. It just wants to keep you moving, which is not something I've ever seen people take issue with.
Jump sliiightly short or overshoot?

Die with no justification and start all over!
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

It's not with no justification, it's with the justification that you did the jump wrong

That description is how jumping over lava works too
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

New Bitmap Image.png
New Bitmap Image.png (91.74 KiB) Viewed 4186 times
Let this nonsense serve as a warning to those who seek to explicate the intentions of others. The true history of this level name is that Lazy wanted to reference 'cave of lost pride' from smwcp (for some reason) and I said he should give it the eventual title as it spelled dug-out (a synonym for a cave).

suponji was an excellent level and I hope lolyoshi in his seclusion is gratified that people are shitting on it because they can't rise to the occasion and play a bit better for a couple of minutes.
dont wanna jihad no more
Nao
Pronouns: he

Post by Nao »

What happened to lolyoshi?
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago I don't know why everyone decided that ratchet scrolling is bad for this level in particular. It just wants to keep you moving, which is not something I've ever seen people take issue with.
It's mainly that it's done with awkward bad feeling layer 2 platforming. My problem with the level is honestly entirely that second half of deciding "okay we had an okay level idea up to now, let's now do it vertically and with ratchet scrolling and make some of these jumps the most awkward thing in existence to do."

Rising to the occasion to do good platforming is fine and all and I'm fine with hard platforming, but when it's hard because it feels really awkward to do, then it's not great.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Rextep
Pronouns: him/her

Post by Rextep »

morsel/morceau wrote: 4 years agosuponji was an excellent level and I hope lolyoshi in his seclusion is gratified that people are shitting on it because they can't rise to the occasion and play a bit better for a couple of minutes.
the latter should come as no surprise LOL

Talkhaus players need to 8-) get good 8-) ????
bad sig change now year 2018
repairmanman

Post by repairmanman »

Pretty sure you were supposed to use the blue block to first hit the block up top, and then use it after activating the p switch to hit the on/off block from the side. you just cheesed it with the disappearing p-switch
Nothing to see here
Lazy_
druine

Post by Lazy_ »

about NOJUNP NOLIFE [sic]:
gbreeze initiated the level and I helped him out a bit. The gimmick was directly inspired by this Sokobansolver level, which became sort of infamous for being insanely hard to beat toolless. The level name is lifted from Super Mario :P:P:P.

Also, it's kind of hilarious how half of the setups in the second half refused to function the first time raocow saw them. Fortunately, it didn't seem to impede his playing experience too much.
@the image morsel posted: Good to know the youtube commenters will even disparage you for giving your level a silly name.
is there an integer overflow when you become 256 years old
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: JUMP HALF - Half a jump is JUMP HALF

Post by Awoo »

Rextep wrote: 4 years ago Talkhaus players need to 8-) get good 8-) ????
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

Lazy_ wrote: 4 years ago @the image morsel posted: Good to know the youtube commenters will even disparage you for giving your level a silly name.
i really hate hate HAAAATE this idea that your level name has to make 100% perfect sense and explain the content of what you see. Why can't we have names that are JUST silly? :(

In any case... The puzzles of the levels were really awesome today! When we first went through World 2 castle, I was convinced the secret exit was gonna be a massive pain- but then raocow did it relatively easily, with very few issues from the blocks themselves! I quite like that, provide a CHALLENGE, but not a stupidly hard challenge.
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: JUMP a HaLf - Half half half Half HALF

Post by Awoo »

Nimono wrote: 4 years ago
Lazy_ wrote: 4 years ago @the image morsel posted: Good to know the youtube commenters will even disparage you for giving your level a silly name.
i really hate hate HAAAATE this idea that your level name has to make 100% perfect sense and explain the content of what you see. Why can't we have names that are JUST silly? :(

because Dodge the Beefsteak *HAS* to mean something that's huge and significant and symbolic

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Nimono wrote: 4 years ago
im unironically for the idea of just naming everything things from "piss" and "i'm gay" to the sort of stuff lazy and idol put on their levels. it's a lot more interesting than Vanilla Plains #69. it'd probably piss off someguy but i dont care?

sokoban is a weird guy.
Image Image
Implo

Re: JUMP |(√(-1))/(√(-4))| - Half a junp is still a junp

Post by Implo »

To be honest I was expecting today levels to be 1 level videos. I had really hard time with both of them and I died a lot in the first one. But the real nightmare was switch palace. Weird precision needed with item interaction and babysitting items were the worst. After watching raocow video, I know I did things wrong. Going with 2 items, jumping and dropping 1 item forward, then falling onto second item and that way slowly progressing forward wasn't correct solution. It was really tedious, but back when I played I had no idea how else to beat a level. And I felt that this level had similar difficulty to the hardest levels from original JUMP. Seriously, I wonder why people are saying that JUMP HALF is easier than original? It doesn't feel that way for me.
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago im unironically for the idea of just naming everything things from "piss" and "i'm gay" to the sort of stuff lazy and idol put on their levels. it's a lot more interesting than Vanilla Plains #69. it'd probably piss off someguy but i dont care?
yeah same here. I prefer names that have to do with the level, but only if it's in the form of a joke, like how "Cave of Moving Sponges" was rendered into Japanese, or "i saw you in the forest" when the level's about saws. Barring that, joke names like that level's are a very close second!! Definitely infinitely better than like, "World 5-4" or "Wet Upperhalf 3" or even "Rocky Cave". Something that makes a funny joke or pun is always better than something direct!
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Nimono wrote: 4 years ago "i saw you in the forest" when the level's about saws

i didnt even realize that i thought it was just idol being vaguely ominous as she always is
Image Image
Nao
Pronouns: he

Post by Nao »

Implo wrote: 4 years ago To be honest I was expecting today levels to be 1 level videos. I had really hard time with both of them and I died a lot in the first one. But the real nightmare was switch palace. Weird precision needed with item interaction and babysitting items were the worst. After watching raocow video, I know I did things wrong. Going with 2 items, jumping and dropping 1 item forward, then falling onto second item and that way slowly progressing forward wasn't correct solution. It was really tedious, but back when I played I had no idea how else to beat a level. And I felt that this level had similar difficulty to the hardest levels from original JUMP. Seriously, I wonder why people are saying that JUMP HALF is easier than original? It doesn't feel that way for me.
I don't think puzzle levels were considered much when making these claims. They vary from easy to really difficult in both games, depending on the player's experience with specific mechanics, too. Most of them (atleast in JUMP1/2) are not very punishing though and the more difficult ones have movies in case you can't figure them out.
The hardest levels from JUMP included kaizo-like obstacles (Pixel Perfect) or a marathon with precision platforming (Depraved Stronghold), which I don't think anything in JUMP1/2 comes close to.
gbreeze

Post by gbreeze »

MODERATOR LAZY R VRY SMART