(shouting)

JUMP ½ - Half a jump is still a jump

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Sebby19

Re: JUMP 2^(-1) - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by Sebby19 »

Funny how the Jolpemuda traingle is situated high above the water, but still causes shipwrecks.

I wonder where are the plane wrecks, I think they would have it worse.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Re: JUMP sin(30) - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by Mata Hari »

what the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? i'll have you know
Ryrir
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Ryrir »

My level was played today!

It was made pretty much during a timespan of three weeks after aterraformer announced JUMPhalf, with the specific instruction that "this time around, it's going to be an actual VIP-like collab, specifically in the style of VIP 1-3". Well, that didn't happen!

On the chance that I might come across as overly defensive here, I do believe that it's important to consider this context. When I think of VIP 1-3, I think of primarily two types of levels: Either wacky ASM gimmicks that barely work and are glorious because of it, or weird little filler levels that, seen through the lens of today's design standards, come across as a little bit off.
They don't really follow a theme or central gimmick, but instead just present the player with a series of vanilla obstacles that don't really have much to do with each other. They kind of feel like the author was just looking through the object and sprite editors in Lunar Magic, seeing what they can find and putting it in their level, which to me is a charming way of designing a level.

For reference:

So yeah, that was the type of level I wanted to do. Looking back at it, I think I actually achieved this goal to the best of my ability, though I do think my level ended up more cramped and claustrophobic than perhaps I intended.

As the goals of the project continued to evolve, with different leaders taking the helm and whatnot, a lot of levels that were similar to mine got heavily redesigned or even straight up scrapped, in order to raise the quality of the hack and make everything more concise in general. I think my level is one of around five that 'survived' this process? I'll leave the question of whether or not that was the right decision for other people to decide.

Oh, one last thing: That dragon coin raocow couldn't find caused a lot of other people a lot of problems. To me personally, the coin guide that appears and leads you to the left when you hit the P-Switch is a pretty clear hint though. Author bias maybe?
this is getting laundromatic
Nao
Pronouns: he

Post by Nao »

You achieved your goal pretty well I think, as I got immediately reminded of the early VIPs with your level. Although it could've been a little less cramped indeed. Crampedness and item usage reminded me a bit of ASMT, though.
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker

Post by Super Maks 64 »

Bombs Away is an interesting rearrangement of SMW Loop2 Donut Plains 3.
It's also the title screen level but raocow couldn't have known that since he last loaded the game from the title screen 3 weeks ago :V

Battlefield of the Three Kingdoms is apparently a historic reference, but I don't have enough knowledge to explain it.

Too bad you haven't played if my heart were a bridge level as Boon (nor ever so far in this lp).
I doo too think that it succeeded in being a VIP level and that the 2nd Yoshi Coin is well hinted at.

Also I appreciate today's video's tags
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Bombs Away gave me massive agita.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

Ryrir wrote: 4 years ago Oh, one last thing: That dragon coin raocow couldn't find caused a lot of other people a lot of problems. To me personally, the coin guide that appears and leads you to the left when you hit the P-Switch is a pretty clear hint though. Author bias maybe?
Possibly- I watched the video and I genuinely never noticed the coin guides, because I was so affixed on where Mario was located, and the fact that progression was with the obvious invisible ? block. The peripheral vision just never registered that it was anything out of the ordinary. I assume that's what happens to people- they only notice it through peripheral vision, and since it's just coins on the ground, it never really registers as anything.
General_Urist

Post by General_Urist »

I agree with raocow, That fire flower police siren lamp looks really stupid.

"if my heart were a bridge level" hmm? I worry about the state of your heart.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Nimono wrote: 4 years ago
Ryrir wrote: 4 years ago Oh, one last thing: That dragon coin raocow couldn't find caused a lot of other people a lot of problems. To me personally, the coin guide that appears and leads you to the left when you hit the P-Switch is a pretty clear hint though. Author bias maybe?
Possibly- I watched the video and I genuinely never noticed the coin guides, because I was so affixed on where Mario was located, and the fact that progression was with the obvious invisible ? block. The peripheral vision just never registered that it was anything out of the ordinary. I assume that's what happens to people- they only notice it through peripheral vision, and since it's just coins on the ground, it never really registers as anything.
to add to that: it's yellow coins on yellow pipes. yellow on yellow. if your eyes are busy with something else, that will definitely not track.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I turned off the fireball powerup because it seemed really distracting
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I like the evolution of the old joke "Oh, there's cutoff, this hack would never be accepted at SMW Central"

Now it's "Oh, there's clash, this episode would never be accepted at the SMBX forums"
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

Is the "police siren" graphic the same regardless of what skin you're using?
Also, I'm curious why that graphic chosen to denote a flamethrower charge.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Having watched the actual video now, is there a bit in the Romance of the Three Kingdoms where there's like a duel or something because otherwise that puzzle before the midpoint feels fairly out of place to me personally but maybe not to otherrs

...if that's what the level is even trying to represent in the first place, I have no idea!
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Just wanna note that sin(30) is not 1/2 it is approximately -0.988

No degree symbol implies radians
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker

Re: JUMP sin(30°) - Half a jump is still a jump

Post by Super Maks 64 »

Blame the Windows calculator for not showing the symbol and instead having a button that you have to click to switch between DEG, RAD and GRAD that I never noticed before
J. J. W. Mezun

Post by J. J. W. Mezun »

Not to be a fly in the soup, but I can't help noticing how o'erused the "hop on enemies floating o'er an abyss to delay yourself while waiting for the rest o' the level to move into a traversable state" has become by this point. I think 2 levels in this video 'lone use it. Which is striking for levels made independently by different people.
Wenn alle stehen bleiben und anstarren
und sagen, <¿Warum musst du so sein?>,
schaue ich ihnen einfach in die Augen
und sage ihnen, dass ich von Fledermäusen aufgezogen wurde.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

J. J. W. Mezun wrote: 4 years ago Not to be a fly in the soup, but I can't help noticing how o'erused the "hop on enemies floating o'er an abyss to delay yourself while waiting for the rest o' the level to move into a traversable state" has become by this point. I think 2 levels in this video 'lone use it. Which is striking for levels made independently by different people.
It's a very basic thing for a hack to do, especially for a Mario one. They were all implemented fairy differently here, too.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I've definitely seen it more in this hack than any other. I don't really have an issue with it, but it is curious that so many people did that in this project in particular. Maybe people were trying out other people's levels and liked the idea and it just snowballed? I don't know anything about this project's development.
Shard1697

Post by Shard1697 »

I was just watching 11 and I sincerely, after playing SMW since I was like 8 years old, only just realized that these
are portholes in the background and not big weird mysterious eyes that probably belong to an octopus or something
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Those are hula hoops cause pirate love hula hooping
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

The development and historical story behind Battlefield of the Three Kingdoms is extensive.

The level is supposed to parallel one story, where Huang Gai sent ships that were lit on fire to burn Cao Cao's ships (which were all lined up in a row). This happens at the end of the level, where the ships burn, and the fire also reaches a castle.

There were many, many versions of this level before I came up with something that I was satisfied with. The first half used to parallel a story where Zhuge Liang used straw men as a decoy to borrow 100,000 arrows from the enemy-- so, Mario fires 3 shells at a ship, and then later there's many shell kicker traps. I scrapped this to just make a level with lots of boats and shell kickers instead.

The second half of the level went through many iterations: a water level with tide (reference to the "east wind" that Zhuge Liang summoned to make his attack work), a level with variable layer 2 scrolling and autoscroll, a Yoshi-feeding puzzle, etc. This all happened over 2016-2018, and by the end I settled with having boats that rise up and down, which wasn't ideal, but I wanted to be done with the level by that point.

I'm glad that raocow enjoyed it a lot and compared it to VIP. Actually, in VIP6, there is a level with burning ships too, although who knows if that game will ever come out...
Mosts Awards:
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

Pretty much everyone I've seen has gotten tripped up on that, so I dunno, I'll admit I'm the kind of person that when I see a p-switch section, I'm looking forward at where the very obvious coins I need to turn into blocks is going, and it took some prodding to even notice that there was any sort of coin trail leading to the left. That's just me though.

I do really like the level otherwise, it's definitely got that early VIP weirdness to it but not in a bad way. I dunno, I guess I'm just fine with these kinds of levels showing up and giving a nice break from the more wild ASM-hacky levels. That seems to, weirdly enough, be a big thing with world 4 so far honestly. I think it's the world with the highest density of "this feels like it's right out of a VIP" levels.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
churine
Pronouns: she/her

Post by churine »

ft029 wrote: 4 years agoThe first half used to parallel a story where Zhuge Liang used straw men as a decoy to borrow 100,000 arrows from the enemy
Wait, don't be hasty...
Wait+dont+be+hasty+this+must+be+koumeis+trap+_33b24848883fd93e7d6b8466af4cca2b.jpg
Wait+dont+be+hasty+this+must+be+koumeis+trap+_33b24848883fd93e7d6b8466af4cca2b.jpg (44.91 KiB) Viewed 3267 times
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: JUMP sin(pi) - Half 'n Half

Post by Awoo »

This hack had better have raocow dodging beefsteaks at some point or I'm going to be sorely disappointed.

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

ft029 wrote: 4 years ago I'm glad that raocow enjoyed it a lot and compared it to VIP. Actually, in VIP6, there is a level with burning ships too, although who knows if that game will ever come out...
That stage is based and named after the Battle of Red Cliffs as well
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*