(shouting)

COMING UP NEXT now w/ BUCKET.TXT

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Re: COMING UP NEXT

Post by Rixithechao »

KobaBeach wrote: 5 years ago
Kilgamayan wrote: 5 years ago Hey, y'all were supposed to wait until the LP actually started before dunking DKC1 into the garbage can :V

I was honestly thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis close to continuing that post with "and then the cycle will repeat with DKC2" but I figured it would be better to wait until DKC1 was over, at least. Do be prepared for people to shit on that game too, though.
I feel like treating a game as though it's a blight on this earth or attacking its creator(s) for daring to make a game that's not very good is rather childish and embarrassing. You can just say "wow i dont like this game" without outright dunking on a game. I hope the raocow fandom is above that, at least the non-reactionary, talkhaus portion.
I wish I could be optimistic but if there's one thing the last few years of LP threads and youtube comments have taught me to expect, it's folks disproportionately trashing the game (or if it's a collab or contest, a level or chunk of the game that raocow had trouble with for any reason besides not understanding the gimmick of a puzzle level) and making personal attacks on the creator(s), with some people even jumping to the tired old "oh so you hate any sort of constructive criticism" strawman when called out. raocow sometimes addresses it in his videos but one or two games later it's back to the vitriol. At times it gets bad enough that people have been driven away from fangame development by the overwhelming negativity, and other folks see these incidents and start worrying about their work getting played by raocow and torn apart by this community.

The thing that gets me the most is that a lot of the folks who get hostile about this stuff are generally pretty kind and welcoming in other occasions. But the moment something bad happens in the LP, off go the gloves.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Some people are just oddly "protective" of raocow, never mind the fact that he is a grown man in his mid 30s playing video games for people on the internet. Him not having fun with a bad game is not going to hurt him. I guess he gives off sort of Moe kind of vibes with his lighthearted commentary and demeanor, and people just feel discomfort at seeing this happy go lucky real life cartoon character break persona and feel actual anger at something.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

raocow has the mind of a child, and if the game is too bad it breaks and he will turn into an adult for a moment - something people actually believe
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

hey i also have the mind of a child until a game is too bad and turns me into an adult for a moment, it's a serious condition

we exist and we will not be silenced
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

CrappyBlueLuigi wrote: 5 years ago hey i also have the mind of a child until a game is too bad and turns me into an adult for a moment, it's a serious condition

we exist and we will not be silenced
shut up and go to your room
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

For however little it's worth, I think the saving setups in the first two DKC games aren't good.

Savestates should mitigate this entirely, though.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Grounder wrote: For however little it's worth, I think the saving setups in the first two DKC games aren't good.
oh worm
Image Image
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

KobaBeach wrote: Some people are just oddly "protective" of raocow, never mind the fact that he is a grown man in his mid 30s playing video games for people on the internet. Him not having fun with a bad game is not going to hurt him. I guess he gives off sort of Moe kind of vibes with his lighthearted commentary and demeanor, and people just feel discomfort at seeing this happy go lucky real life cartoon character break persona and feel actual anger at something.
Oh, yeah, like, I'm well aware of the whole concept of Moe and raocow being it (especially that one creepy post on his TV tropes page), but feeling endeared to an eccentric French Canadian on the internet doesn't excuse his fans being jerks on his behalf.

Don't get me wrong, there are some legit design issues with the Donkey Kong series from DKC1 through 64 -- the games were products of their times, but that doesn't change the fact that some aspects of them didn't age well (especially 64). And people aren't going to like, track down the devs and harass them because raocow had trouble with levels XYZ or anything like that. But I'm still anticipating folks getting disproportionately nasty within the usual community spaces during the LPs.

On the flipside, though, I'm very much looking forward to the Beaver Bother memes and other hbomberguy references when we get to DK64.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Rockythechao wrote: Oh, yeah, like, I'm well aware of the whole concept of Moe and raocow being it (especially that one creepy post on his TV tropes page), but feeling endeared to an eccentric French Canadian on the internet doesn't excuse his fans being jerks on his behalf.
oh no no no i was not excusing them i was actually pointing out how embarrassing it is to be this obsessive of a grown adult who plays video games on the line

Rockythechao wrote: On the flipside, though, I'm very much looking forward to the Beaver Bother memes and other hbomberguy references when we get to DK64.
raocow
SAYS
"TRANS RIGHTS!"
SAYS
raocow
Image Image
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

A lack of perspective is a common symptom of being extremely online
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: COMING UP LATER

Post by Awoo »

raocow plays video games on the internet
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Paragraph wrote: 5 years agoDKC1 isn't that good.

DKC2 on the other hand...
In my opinion DKC1 was a good first attempt at the series. It's heavily flawed but I personally enjoyed it quite a bit still, even if it is my least favorite of the three. Personally I liked DKC3 the most, though i can see why DKC2 is the more popular option for most people.
Classtoise
First name: June
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by Classtoise »

Alice wrote: 5 years ago
Paragraph wrote: 5 years agoDKC1 isn't that good.

DKC2 on the other hand...
In my opinion DKC1 was a good first attempt at the series. It's heavily flawed but I personally enjoyed it quite a bit still, even if it is my least favorite of the three. Personally I liked DKC3 the most, though i can see why DKC2 is the more popular option for most people.
DKC2 is a stellar game flanked on either side by pretty good/decent games.

I guess everyone is just prepping their "actually, dkc is bad" since it's not Mario, Wario, or Touhou.

Also a hot take: Sonic 1-3 are good, Knuckles was alright, and those are literally the only good Sonic games until MAYBE Advance or Mania.

Don't say CD no one had a SegaCD don't lie
:bi_pride: :trans_pride:
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

everyone here's being civil but go off
Image Image
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

i mean if we're all interested in turning this into a Games Opinions thread for a page or two,

i played so much dkc1 when i was a teeny person, especially playing the competition mode with my sisters, but i never beat it until a playthrough with my youngest sister five or so years ago. i was totally in love with the game, and then we immediately moved on to dkc2 and i fell in love with THAT game despite it taking us multiple years to finish it due to a variety of life and living complications

the two of us ended up making dkc2 "our game" in that we play it basically every time we hang out now, even though now we've beaten it three times together. after the first time, we attempted heading back to dkc1, but it felt weird to go back to after dkc2 seemed like such an improvement. just last year though, we tried again, and it was weirdly refreshing to go back to a dkc game with a lot less going on. not less going for it, but less happening and less to do because of having fewer collectables and a relatively more minimalist presentation.

anyway these games are great and maybe i'll fall for dkc3 someday but who knooooows
also the sonic games are good, objectively speaking. thanks
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

To Me As A Kid: dkc3 is hardly any different than 2 and it has an incredible world map system, i was legitimately surprised to grow up and find that people on the internet didnt like 3
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

I played a fuckton of DKC3 as a kid because it was there and I really wanted to figure out all the things in it, but it also really annoyed me with a whole bunch of its levels and for a good long while I could never beat it because I didn't get that one level reversed your controls instead of it being just really strong current you have to fight against, or something.

Later, when replaying it on a lark, I realized that all my frustration was totally legitimate and the game just sucks fucking ass and I wasted way too much time on trying to squeeze fun from it. It's not fun.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Paragraph wrote: 5 years agobecause I didn't get that one level reversed your controls instead of it being just really strong current you have to fight against, or something.
uh no thats totally your fault
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

That is not a debate I'm willing to continue here. My original "DKC1 is overrated" post was meant to be a joke anyway!
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

i cant believe raocow's finally playing wild arms
Image Image
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

and by sheer crazy coincidence, tomorrow is the last super video
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

yump 2 had better come out on 6/9 for wasting this opportunity
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted: