(shouting)

Mega Man - We're Here Forever!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
freshtalk

Re: Mega Man X Legacy Collection 2 - Double Trouble

Post by freshtalk »

The fights in Nornal Mode in of themselves would be just fine enough if it you could turn off the limited lives or lack of health refills. Obviously those things make it killer for the way these LPs are recorded.

Too bad this Easy Mode is so mindless that it's now not that great to watch for me for entirely different reasons. I mean, I'm sure it might be tough for someone who hasn't played most X games, which isn't gonna be most people who play it...
Super Llama
Love is stored in the robot

Post by Super Llama »

X Challenge as a whole just feels like wasted potential. Just think if, instead of both bosses just doing whatever they feel like, they actually coordinated to do sort of Pandora/Prometheus-style combination attacks. Like Frost Walrus planting ice spikes all over the ground while Chill Penguin does his wind thing to try and push you into them. It would make the fights tough but fair instead of just a chaotic, unpredictable mess.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

when a game journalist wants an easy mode tacked on to something, they really mean this
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Super Llama wrote: 5 years ago X Challenge as a whole just feels like wasted potential. Just think if, instead of both bosses just doing whatever they feel like, they actually coordinated to do sort of Pandora/Prometheus-style combination attacks. Like Frost Walrus planting ice spikes all over the ground while Chill Penguin does his wind thing to try and push you into them. It would make the fights tough but fair instead of just a chaotic, unpredictable mess.
I was thinking of the Herculious & Kuwagust brothers in the MMZ2 final level.

It would have been interesting if a given boss has somewhat easier patterns when both bosses are present so that you can strategically decide whether to eliminate one first or not.
Christopher Lloyd wrote: 5 years ago when a game journalist wants an easy mode tacked on to something, they really mean this
I wonder what James Davenport's reaction was to the now meme-status tweet. (The originator of the tweet was eventually amused at the meme and self-parodied it.)

Edit: Found a relevant tweet from him
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Super Llama wrote: 5 years ago X Challenge as a whole just feels like wasted potential. Just think if, instead of both bosses just doing whatever they feel like, they actually coordinated to do sort of Pandora/Prometheus-style combination attacks. Like Frost Walrus planting ice spikes all over the ground while Chill Penguin does his wind thing to try and push you into them. It would make the fights tough but fair instead of just a chaotic, unpredictable mess.
He sort of does. This is what happens at about half health. Normally the pull string is a non issue but if you don't clean up Walrus's junk with the plasma shot, you are going to have some trouble.

I know you mean a custom asset attack, and I would have liked to see this too.

I cannot say the same for a lot of these other fights, though...

EDIT: Something odd i'm going to point out is that at some point, we are going to start seeing graphically altered arenas. As in, the actual size is different. This is odd given the non effort in a lot of other things...
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Man I really need to get the X Legacies, this looks fun as hell.

Super interested to see how 3-3 works out, based on the preview!
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

oh hi vile oh bye vile
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

Do you think Cyber Peacock stays up all night working on his posing?
If I were a video game boss I'd do the exact same thing.
Reverning

Post by Reverning »

I think I'd be in favor of the idea of doing the fights on Normal in Practice Mode with a completed file (if I understood that correctly?).

Easy is...kind of hard to even appreciate, imo.
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

raocow actually didn't do 3-1 and 3-2 much differently than you'd do them on Normal, but it just took half as long.

He also took the weapon set I used when I finally beat this level - the Soul Body is invaluable against High Max. It is the only weapon that goes through his shields without destroying them, stopping him from going into rage mode.

Doing some testing... I think i've decided that in order to possibly sate the hunger of those bored by the curbstomp, I'll instead dispense some facts about weapon damage to complement the showcase of this mode. I'll go back and retroactively do some of the ones I missed later, probably.

Just a reminder:

Lemon = 1 damage
Plasma Ball = 1 damage
Half charge = 1.5 damage
Z-Saber = 1.5 damage
Full charge = 2 damage

All damage values were tested on Normal.
To get Easy damage, multiply values by 2.
To get Hard damage, halve the values and round up.

Damage values are listed as (Uncharged)/(Charged)

-World 3-

*Note 1: Acid Burst and Speed Burner are very hard to use on this stage. the acid bubbles will simply refuse to come out in water, and stop on the surface of water, making it extremely difficult to damage either boss.

Speed Burner shoots two particles uncharged when under water, and is ineffective charged, as X just forgoes all common sense and dashes into the enemy, taking contact damage. You have to bait the bosses into jumping in order to hit them with the charged Speed Burner.

**Note 2: High Max will take the same amount of damage from Special Weapons whether he is enraged or not. It is possible, but extremely difficult to hit him with charged special weapons when he is not enraged, though.

When enraged, it is possible to clip High Max twice with one use of Soul Body just like Cyber Peacock, just as raocow demonstrated in the fight. The charged Frost Tower also hits him twice with one cast, totalling a whopping 12 damage.
Last edited by Chirei 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

Chirei wrote:
LunarRainbowShyGuy wrote: 5 years ago That aside, I thought of more I wanted to say about this mode since yesterday. I've seen people calling the bosses in this mode damage sponges, but I actually kind of like the amount of health they have. Some bosses, like Commander Yammark, had too little health in their original games to do much at all, let alone be a threat, so it's nice to see them have a chance to show off what they can do. Not that it matters much in easy mode, but... well I've talked enough about that already. (Though even in this video I feel like Yammark got to do more than he usually does.)
I liked the custom healthbars in X6 and I am sad they have never done this for any other game.

Yammark looks like he has a thin build, and i'm sure you noticed, he will spam the screen with absolute garbage if you let him move. If you use anything but the plasma shot on him in X6, you'll find it's very hard to keep up with the garbage.

They absolutely needed custom health in here or something, not letting every single boss have the same insane healthbar.
Oh I didn't realize that was only an X6 thing. I guess that shows which X game I'm most familiar with. Still though, I've seen some of the X6 bosses do things I've never seen them do before, though I guess the health of the bosses could be toned down a little bit while still having enough to show off their moves (just not as much as easy mode, which I still can't get over how easy it is).

Anyway, this stage is the first to feature bosses outside of each games 8 mavericks. I didn't find 3-3 too bad even on normal, though my aforementioned familiarity with X6 probably helped. Also, since raocow mentioned it, I like that they made a little blurb to go with every stage. I always like seeing plots to video games regardless of whether it's something grand or just an excuse to fight some bad guys, so I appreciate this one little thing that they could easily have gone without.

Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Here's the chart for World 1 Vol 2:

-World 1-

*Note 1: Guard Shell is difficult to attack with. It has to block a specific projectile with seemingly no standard definition, and therefore wildly differs per battle. It will attempt to counterattack with a projectile per item blocked, but may not fire all the shots if it absorbs too many things too quickly. Here are the possible things you can block with an uncharged Guard Shell here:

1-1: Chill Penguin's fully formed sculptures, Frost Walrus's icicle shower, Frost Walrus's icicle shards
1-2: Wheel Gator's jaw bullets, Bubble Crab's bubble ring
1-3: Wire Sponge's fully formed string beans (You're reading this right. It won't protect you from being shot at. :( )

**Note 2: Fire Wave is very difficult to use here. It has absolutely no hitbox under the water, so it is ill-advised to use it even though it can damage both Wheel Gator and Bubble Crab. If you absolutely must hit them with it to experience it, you have to trick Crab into jumping while the water is low, and for Gator you have to get him under half health, then have him do his screwdriver attack near the top of the screen while the water is low.

***Note 3: Despite also being a fire move, both versions of Rising Fire function perfectly fine under water and oil...

****Note 4: Web Spider's web holding him up before he goes into desperation phase can be cut with the Twin Slasher, just like in X4. Doing this with either version of Twin Slasher will cause him to fall and take two very rapid hits of 7+4 damage. This is represented by the third damage value, a total of 11.

It is also possible, with insane timing and positioning, to hit him with both the Twin Slasher and cut his web, doing the combined total of both values. This allows him to be theoretically defeated in as little as two attacks on Easy.
LunarRainbowShyGuy wrote: Still though, I've seen some of the X6 bosses do things I've never seen them do before
If it helps any, all the X6 bosses here in X Challenge are fought as if they were Lv4, and thus have their complete moveset.
Last edited by Chirei 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Gardenolva
Void and Voir embraced together...
First name: En Gardevoir
Pronouns: Male

Post by Gardenolva »

Btw why Vol.2 and not Vol.1 again?

A.K.A.: En Gardevoir
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I had it installed due to earlier atmm videos, no real other reasons
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Gardenolva
Void and Voir embraced together...
First name: En Gardevoir
Pronouns: Male

Post by Gardenolva »

raocow wrote: 5 years ago I had it installed due to earlier atmm videos, no real other reasons
Oh ok I can dig that.

Also every 3rd World comes with the "story" bosses rather than just 2 of the main Mavericks you can fight, which makes sense since you fought Vile/High Max in World 3 then Firefly/Armadillo in World 4.

A.K.A.: En Gardevoir
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Armored Armadillo? More like Soft And Cozy Pillow! :partygator:
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Being able to press buttons and watch bright lights happen is a simple, and timeless concept that Mighty No.9 failed to grasp in every way. The fact that this distorted travesty ass bootleg unbalanced side mode can do it better is a testament to how bad it was as a kickstarter.

-World 2-

*Note 1: The Aiming Laser acts differently on Storm Owl. It cuts through his i-frames and hits him multiple times for rapid ticks of 1 damage. If you are hit during the firing animation, the beam will be cut short, and Storm Owl will not recieve the full damage.

The listed damage here is the full amount that can be achieved by hitting him with the full duration of the laser on each mode. Note that the charged version will not start registering damage until a while after the beam fully extends from X's arm cannon.

**Note 2: The Skiver has no real damaging "weakness", so Shotgun Ice is the closest thing he has to a real weakness that does damage. Because he is an X5 boss, he has extremely low amounts of i-frames, allowing well-timed Shotgun Ices off the small arena of 2-2 to chop him down extremely quick due to his massive hitbox, all while not sacrificing dodging mobility. This would not be possible on his original arena, as there are no walls to crack Shotgun Ice on.

***Note 3: Because X5 and X6 bosses have the shortest i-frames in the game, it is possible to hit them up to 3 times with the charged Aiming Laser, for a potential total of 9 damage. It is very difficult to do it on Axel Rose, so just stick to something else. This is a decent opener on Commander Yammark, and possible on The Skiver if you can aim the beam while dodging his tackles.

-World 4-

*Note 1: Neither version of Crescent Shot will cut Wire Sponge in half if used as the finishing blow. :(

**Note 2: raocow actually discovered this secondary weakness on his own! Also, due to the lengthy i-frames Izzy Glow gets when hit by Tri-Thunder, it is actually far better DPS to just spam ELECTRO WALL to defeat both Armadillo and Dr. Glow quickly, as X5 bosses do not gain extra invincibility when hit by secondary weaknesses and retain their almost nonexistent i-frame count.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

X4 and X5 are the X games I'm least familiar with by far, and so the bosses from those games tend to give me more trouble than most due to me having to learn their attacks with next to no memories from their original games. Here in particular Magma Dragoon gave me a good deal of trouble, but once I took the time to learn his attacks I managed to get through this stage without too much trouble.

Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Am I crazy in thinking that Pickle Man had a sliced-in-half sprite in his original game? Cause here when he got sliced it looked like they just ripped the sprite in half
Super Llama
Love is stored in the robot

Post by Super Llama »

Ashan wrote: 5 years ago Am I crazy in thinking that Pickle Man had a sliced-in-half sprite in his original game? Cause here when he got sliced it looked like they just ripped the sprite in half
That's just the way it looks in X2

Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

If nothing else, I appreciate this game using the real non-stupid X5 Maverick names, instead of the fake stupid ones.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

What did you just say about Duff McWhalen
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

You heard exactly what I said about Tidal Whale's pseudonym.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

i will admit to liking dark dizzy

the rest are either so bad they're good (in the right context) or just kinda bad
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage