(shouting)

La-Mulana - Wishbringer

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Sebby19

Re: La-Mulana - Little Blue Men

Post by Sebby19 »

If I remember correctly, I think the fairies in the original went like this:
-Red: Heals you.
-Blue: Healed you even more
-Green: Healed you in small increments, over a long period of time.
-And then Key Fairy.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

"i'm just dead. there's nothing i can do." wow, real depressingcow hours today

seriously though, nice job beating zu!!! they're a real pain in the butt zone act 2 and it's real impressive to take them down with your current toolset, even with the chain whip
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
maou shoujo
devil girl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by maou shoujo »

Regarding money chests being found in weird locations, most of them are locations that would have held MSX roms in Classic. Not all Classic rom locations became money chests, and not all money chests are at rom locations, but the majority of them line up. Like a venn diagram with a lot of overlap. Without looking it up, I believe Classic had more roms than Remake has money chests.
occasional watcher of the lets plays
CrappyBlueLuigi

to my knowledge, the original la-mulana had literally every game konami made for the msx as the roms you could find everywhere, so i wouldn't be surprised if the remake's money chests don't compare in number. especially since i think a few of the msx roms' locations were given to the software you can find and buy in the remake
Filbi
A Hobbit
Pronouns: they/them

Re: La-Mulana - Beet the Devil

Post by Filbi »

Kleetus wrote: 5 years ago After hearing him mentioned in tablets, raocow meets Pazuzu, and it goes not so well. Pazuzu is a Mesopotamian/Babylonian/Assyrian spirit who controls the west winds. Pazuzu spreads plague and famine, but can also be prayed to for protection; his fearsome appearance scares off malevolent spirits. Pazuzu is depicted in art as a humanish figure with hawk wings and talons. He usually has four wings, a detail kept in the game. One detail (thankfully, for the love off all that is good and just) not kept in the game, is that his member is a snake. The fact that he is the guardian of a whip upgrade is now kind of uncomfortable.

About the chainwhip puzzle.
If you screw up, you can reset the puzzle by talking to a certain out of the way npc, ONLY after defeating what most people consider to be the penultimate boss. By that point though, whats really the point?
Pazuzu is also a recurring demon lord in Dungeons & Dragons and other RPGs, and was the possessing demon in the movie The Exorcist!
I change this sig every year for Advent
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

raocow going in and out of eden is going to be really funny when he finally decides to go there and realizes within 15 seconds he can't do anything yet

i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

Following up on my hunt for a good download of the SC88 soundtrack from earlier:

After hunting for a while, I came across this in the wayback machine.

I'm pretty sure that "la-mulana MP3" folder had what I want, but I can't for the life of me find a link that isn't broken. sigh.

Again, the entire thing is on Youtube, but with compression crust and some early fadeouts from what I remember.

e: Found a torrent!! It has zero seeds! I want to die!
e²:Internet Archive has saved the day
Last edited by Stink Terios 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

Throughout this video I was thinking to myself "raocow, just give up, you can't beat Zu without

the Lamp of Time.

" I feel a bit silly now. Also we should talk to the achievements about spoiling upcoming abilities.
Anyway double dose of mythology time.

Zu/Anzu/Zu Wardo is like Pazuzu an ancient Mesopotamian wind spirit, this time of the southern winds. Zu is depicted as a bird, sometimes with a lion head like in the game. In his most well known story, Zu steals from the gods the Tablet of Destinies, which probably was not as cliche of a name for a mystic artifact 3500 years ago as it is today. The Tablet of Destinies is a legal document, its functionally a deed to creation, so by stealing it Zu becomes sole owner of the universe. The gods go, beat up Zu, and get the Tablet back.

The first mini-boss is Peryton, an odd one to talk about because it originates from modern literature rather than ancient myth or occultism. The Peryton (Peritios in the original Spanish) first appears in Jorge Luis Borges's Book of Imaginary Beings, a bestiary on animals from various mythologies. The Peryton is claimed to originate from a medieval manuscript, but as the manuscript is unknown it's usually assumed Peryton is an invention of Borges. The Peryton is a deer bird hybrid and lived in Atlantis before its destruction. Peryton's were prophesied to lead to the downfall of Rome. Those last two points are referenced in the Vita version bestiary where it speculates " Perhaps this is what brought ruin to the Atlantean people?" One last note, the human figures the Peryton makes in the fight are supposed to be shadows; the Peryton casts a human shadow until it kills a person, creepy.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

godDAMMIT
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Dare I ask what the negative reaction is for?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
CrappyBlueLuigi

Chirei wrote: 5 years ago Image
la-mulana talking directly to me after learning i only know how to beat it because i watched deceasedcrab's lp five times
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

hahahahaha that meme has legs
CrappyBlueLuigi wrote: 5 years ago la-mulana talking directly to me after learning i only know how to beat it because i watched deceasedcrab's lp five times
aw shit actually me too. Damn.
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

Alot of folks seem pretty surprised that raocow beat Zu without Chaos Control.

It seems more likely that the player will bash their head against him than figure out how to get the time-stop power. When I played through I would have never found that ability without assistance, so I beat Zu without it on my first playthrough.

Honestly, how he managed to parse out that there was an orb in that hallway that quickly seemed far more incredulous.
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Zummorr wrote: 5 years ago Honestly, how he managed to parse out that there was an orb in that hallway that quickly seemed far more incredulous.
I don't think it's that odd. He encountered a similar hallway with a similar setup and just applied a similar tactic there.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I don't think I ever found the Ankh Jewel for the Twin Labyrinths. You can always use one from another field to fight the Guardian, but that doesn't really fix the problem.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Someone ban

steam achievements

for non-hidden spoilers :lol:
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat
Pronouns: He

Post by ZephyrBurst »

During my first playthrough, I beat Zu right around the same time raocow did, just bashing my face against it until winning because I was unsure of what else to do at the time.
I'm expecting raocow to fight an early Baphomet, though he's honestly well equip for it. I think he'll figure out the witch puzzle soonish, though I only say this because his path for this segment of the game is so similar to my own.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: La-Mulana - Moonmist

Post by KobaBeach »

「よし、楽園を探検するの時間だ!!」(doesnt explore eden)

instead we got macro anubis and his fart clouds
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

Hm, I forgot Anubis has either some kind of requirement to damage him, or he can only be damaged by a weapon you didn't try. Did you try the whip or axe on him? I think you only tried knife. Legitimately can't recall if this is the answer or not, because I remember from LM Classic that he didn't have a damage requirement and figured that was going to be the case today if raocow made it. This portion of the game kinda got shuffled around a lot between Classic and Remake.

At least you found the axe! It's extremely powerful but slow like you saw. But its wide, slow swing means it has a huge hitbox to damage enemies with to compensate.

Unrelated spoilered comments:
Man, I was disappointed he didn't go one screen up after solving the walk-through-walls puzzle in the Chamber of Extinction. That right there would give him things to do.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I'm so happy you found the Axe! That was my favorite weapon to use in this adventure. It's insane strong, and I think it being a 'slow' weapon is an advantage in itself, since it stays on screen longer, killing everything in it's massive attack arc. I loved jumping and attacking from a high ledge, smashing the axe onto the ground.
The vertical range on the startup is also pretty tall. Way better than the backswing of your whip.
However, I thought the axe was weapon #3, but your inventory suggests its #4. Hm.

Weapon Fairy didn't do anything since you had the sheild equipped.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
CrappyBlueLuigi

FPzero wrote: 5 years ago Hm, I forgot Anubis has either some kind of requirement to damage him, or he can only be damaged by a weapon you didn't try. Did you try the whip or axe on him? I think you only tried knife. Legitimately can't recall if this is the answer or not, because I remember from LM Classic that he didn't have a damage requirement and figured that was going to be the case today if raocow made it. This portion of the game kinda got shuffled around a lot between Classic and Remake.

you need the book of the dead to be able to damage anubis.

Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Barring the part where you have to do that exploration thing, you basically have the game beat between owning chakram and the axe. I think it's completely optional, so you could have gone through the whole game without finding it.

It has the widest swing of all the main weapons and deals the most per hit out of everything you have now. Just for the wide swings alone, it will never become irrelevant.

It's really more like a halberd...