(shouting)

La-Mulana - Wishbringer

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Sebby19

Re: La-Mulana - Hunter, in Darkness

Post by Sebby19 »

Voltgloss wrote: 5 years ago Stop converting my name into a derogatory term.

This is the third time.
Ah freak, I did it again. I don't know why I keep misremembering your name as that, and defaulting to that. I think its because I see GL*SS, and glass is 1st in line regarding what that could be.

And I don't mean anything derogatory. I see where your coming from, especially when you purposefuly butchered my name the 2nd time I goofed. But I see it as Volt + Glass (which sounds kinda cool, the idea of electric glass).

I fixed your name up there. I think I'm gonna have to type Voltgloss 100 times in a row, now.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: La-Mulana - Beet the Devil

Post by Voltgloss »

Thank you. If you just want to use Volt, that's fine.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Hadn't thought of that. That would be better.

There was a bad joke (a pun) I cut from my last post, since I wasn't sure if you would laugh or not:
it was a lame excuse about glossing over that part of your name :ehh:
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

I believe the Chain Whip is as strong as the knife. If it isn't exactly, it's much more comparable in damage. It's really good that you found it!

By the way, I wanted to make mention of something related to subweapon mechanics, specifically Shurikens. It relates to ammo and ammo conservation. There won't be any spoilers in it, but I'll still put it in a box if you don't want to read it raocow:
So I noticed that you tend to throw a lot of shurikens at one time when you use them. I believe that the game has a cooldown time on enemies for how fast they can take damage from subweapons. This means that even if you throw 3 shurikens in a burst and all 3 hit the enemy, the damage will only register once, maybe twice because of that cooldown. As such, it's better to space out your shots so you can get the most out of your subweapon ammo, since they can get expensive to replenish.
Speaking of subweapons, I'm glad you thought to use shurikens against this miniboss. He's really hard without them as you discovered. I think the Rolling Shurikens also work pretty well, since you can time them rolling off the platform and onto his head with a little luck.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

飛べるのデビルはカッコ可愛い♂
灼熱洞窟の音楽はイースのように聞こえるだぜ
RA☆VI☆O☆RI
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago I don't know if the Chain Whip is stronger than the Knife. Or know any of the damage values for the weapons.
It is either the same or greater from personal experience. This means there's almost no reason to use the knife now except to hit something low to the ground.
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

Is it the same per hit, or the same DPS? Same per hit would still leave an interesting trade-off between range and more rapid attacks.
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Ditocoaf wrote: 5 years ago Is it the same per hit, or the same DPS? Same per hit would still leave an interesting trade-off between range and more rapid attacks.
DPS is probably better with the knife still, but it is not realistic to fight the actually threatening enemies that have started appearing at this point with it because of their movements. You'd basically have to know movements in advance.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Ditocoaf wrote: 5 years agoIs it the same per hit, or the same DPS? Same per hit would still leave an interesting trade-off between range and more rapid attacks.

Chain whip is 4 damage per attack while knife is 3. Knife is slightly faster though so dps is overall about the same. So it's more a contest between short range attacks that can hit low-lying enemies and wide range attacks that can hit a fair distance in front of you as well as a bit above and behind. In most circumstances the chain whip will be superior.

Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

After hearing him mentioned in tablets, raocow meets Pazuzu, and it goes not so well. Pazuzu is a Mesopotamian/Babylonian/Assyrian spirit who controls the west winds. Pazuzu spreads plague and famine, but can also be prayed to for protection; his fearsome appearance scares off malevolent spirits. Pazuzu is depicted in art as a humanish figure with hawk wings and talons. He usually has four wings, a detail kept in the game. One detail (thankfully, for the love off all that is good and just) not kept in the game, is that his member is a snake. The fact that he is the guardian of a whip upgrade is now kind of uncomfortable.

About the chainwhip puzzle.
If you screw up, you can reset the puzzle by talking to a certain out of the way npc, ONLY after defeating what most people consider to be the penultimate boss. By that point though, whats really the point?
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

stealing a demon's dick to use it as a whip to ward off peril would be pretty metal and totally something i'd expect out of mythology so im sad that's not the direction they went for in this game
Image Image
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Koba, you are getting increasingly uncomfortable.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Dizzybelle
Barrel!
First name: (◕ v ◕✿)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Dizzybelle »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago Koba, you are getting increasingly uncomfortable.

ImageImageImage
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

KobaBeach wrote: 5 years ago stealing a demon's dick to use it as a whip to ward off peril would be pretty metal and totally something i'd expect out of mythology so im sad that's not the direction they went for in this game
You're not supposed to leak the Netflix Castlevania season 2 script.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Stink Terios wrote: 5 years ago
KobaBeach wrote: 5 years ago stealing a demon's dick to use it as a whip to ward off peril would be pretty metal and totally something i'd expect out of mythology so im sad that's not the direction they went for in this game
You're not supposed to leak the Netflix Castlevania season 2 script.
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

"But I got a healing lady so it's goo-"
*poof*
"She's gone"

You gave me a real good laugh this morning, raocow. Thank you
Taigiry

Post by Taigiry »

The fairy disappearing right after being mentioned was perfect comedy timing.

But speaking of disappearing, what exactly happened to the chakram? Do they break after a certain amount of uses? Did rao destroy it with the knife? Did it fall into the lava puddle? Been replaying that part of the video, yet I can't figure it out. The description made it sound like, as long as you catch then you can keep using them.
Zinfandel

Post by Zinfandel »

Taigiry wrote: 5 years ago But speaking of disappearing, what exactly happened to the chakram? Do they break after a certain amount of uses? Did rao destroy it with the knife? Did it fall into the lava puddle? Been replaying that part of the video, yet I can't figure it out. The description made it sound like, as long as you catch then you can keep using them.
As far as I’m aware (and I could be wrong), there are some ways to lose your chakrams:

1. Huck one into an enemy that’s so powerful that your chakram disappears like any other subweapon would on impact
2. Fail to retrieve a thrown chakram, by letting it expire after it stops flying and becomes a collectible, or by letting it fall to a lower screen, or by leaving the screen while it’s in midair or waiting to be collected

raocow just happened to

move between screens after throwing a chakram.

KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago Koba, you are getting increasingly uncomfortable.
i act like an obnoxious furry just to piss off aterraformer, making people uncomfortable is my game
Image Image
KobaBeach

Re: La-Mulana - Little Blue Men

Post by KobaBeach »

The Gate of Time was originally a Knightmare II: Maze of Galious (the original inspiration for La Mulana) tribute area. They replaced it for copyright purposes.

This won't be the last we see of it btw

Image Image
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Both areas had the annoying habit of ladders below the floor that you can't climb.

I'm not sure wether to classify the Gate of Time as a Frontside or Backside area, since you technically go through a backside door. Not that it really matters.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Draexzhan
Flair text
First name: Nathan

Post by Draexzhan »

Wow, raocow actually beat that miniboss. I'm quite impressed.

I expected he would beat it without stopping time, but I didn't expect him to do it so freaking soon. I figured he wouldn't do it until he at least had the double jump and fairy armor.

And woohoo! Gate of Time!

I can't help but wonder if he might get into Tower of the Goddess early. It doesn't seem likely at this point, but it's certainly still possible.

Signature text.
repairmanman

Post by repairmanman »

you sure he's going to be doing hell temple?
I'm catching up on the videos. At least he acknowledged that people are upset that he keeps using only the knife
Nothing to see here
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Fairies are cool. You finally saw the last one today. I will spoiler the ones that raocow don't 100% know the mechanics for. They may be highlighted to clarify how they work.

Red - Lasts the shortest amount of time.(?) Constantly regenerates your HP, but you have to move quickly if you want to bring her into a boss fight.
Blue -

Constantly uses the subweapon you have, if applicable. No shields or guns.

Green -

Massively boosts item drop rate from containers and enemies, including containers you already broke before. Enemies tend to drop a lot more subweapon ammo (except bullets), and containers very often drop a ton of coins. Use this to farm money very quickly and you will never have money problems again.

Yellow - Unlocks certain hidden doors. I only know of the Gate of Time entrance that was discovered in today's video.