(shouting)

Spoilers & Backseat Gaming Problem Discussion

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Sebby19

Re: Spoilers & Backseat Gaming Problem Discussion

Post by Sebby19 »

FourteenthOrder wrote: 5 years ago At the very least, I'm want to stay as unspoiled as possible for La-Mulana and several of Sebby's comments there have given things away I would have loved to learn through the videos. :c

Honestly I've just kinda started not reading his posts in that thread, sorry ^^;
Please PM me a list.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by FourteenthOrder »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago Please PM me a list.
I think I overstated things in my frustration. Honestly, looking back, really just this one is the one I was thinking about in particular. What made me stop reading your posts is your kinda fighting back when people ask you to tag things. It just put me in a mode of "better safe than sorry", y'know?
Last edited by FourteenthOrder 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

If I were rena I would've coded it so that everything Sebby posts is in spoiler tags
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

Also the fact is Sebs you may not have had any malicious intent originally but since your failure to use spoiler tags has upset people for a long time, and you've known that for a long time, at this point it honestly is kind of malicious, if only due to disregard.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

FourteenthOrder wrote: 5 years ago At the very least, I'm want to stay as unspoiled as possible for La-Mulana and several of Sebby's comments there have given things away I would have loved to learn through the videos. :c

Honestly I've just kinda started not reading his posts in that thread, sorry ^^;
what are your thoughts with ATMM? I feel like people there have been commenting/posting stuff that are giving away things there too like

someone telling him he can dash downwards

(and that's not to mention the backseating on what dub to use currently going on. Like, him play the way he wants :|)
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

SAJewers wrote: 5 years ago what are your thoughts with ATMM? I feel like people there have been commenting/posting stuff that are giving away things there too like

raocow actually did this in Seismic's stage.

I also think "backseating the dub" is the weirdest thing to complain about because like people are literally only going for what would have the funniest chemistry with raocow, plus everyone's already done English and Japanese is just generic.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

I'm talking more the people in the last video now telling him to go back to the japanese dub.

I think i'm just more used to twitch chat where even a hint of backseating is punished
backseating rules in a twitch channel i frequent wrote:Are you backseating? (See: Giving unsolicited hints, tips, advice, information about the game, or anything of the sort) naeDERP WELL! You may well get timed out for this! Or you already are! Congratulations, you are experiencing JUSTICE! naeWTF Listen. Backseating ruins games for streamers. It's very frustrating to explain and fight against it every time it happens. naeDERP I want to play this game with veergin eyes, learn on my own, and experience the magic that you once did. Respec the LAW.
Last edited by SAJewers 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

the french dub is the funniest one why would you want to go to generic shounen anime shouting

Edit: okay i literally just checked and it's all dumb stupid weeaboos. i vote to ignore them because anime fans don't deserve to be treated with respect

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Because 沢城 みゆきさああああああああああ

I too am surprised that someone would take umbrage with people having voice acting language requests since it has no meaningful bearing on the gameplay, and raoguy's gonna do whatever he's gonna do anyway.

(There's also the economics of "how much should one listen to their fanbase when they literally make their monetary living off of recording themselves playing video games" but that's a separate discussion entirely)
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

like i said, i'm much more used to twitch, where streamers i've watched have very much taken umberage to things like that.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

I figured that was probably it, yeah. I admit I am not a Twitcher so I don't know how frequently streamers (a) prefer not to be told what to do with the games they play, and (b) depend on Patrons/donations/whatever to make a living.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

if rao cared that much about the voice dub he wouldnt have changed it back

bordering on ladder advice complaints here
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

SAJewers wrote: 5 years ago what are your thoughts with ATMM? I feel like people there have been commenting/posting stuff that are giving away things there too like

I'm personally fine with controls stuff being unspoilered, especially if the game never outright teaches you the stuff (like, I played through all of Mega Man 9 like a month prior to raocow's playthrough and didn't realize you could charge the Magma Bazooka until comments in that thread). But, like, it's not hard at all to do something like "Control tip:

advice goes here

" and leave it up to the reader whether they'll click the spoiler.
Like, based on people's varied reactions to things I feel like the safest mindset would be, like, "spoiler tag anything with the potential to be spoil-y, if you think the spoiler's minor or so forth note that outside the spoiler". Maybe?
I dunnoooooo, I'm a person
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

SAJewers wrote: 5 years ago I think i'm just more used to twitch chat where even a hint of backseating is punished
backseating rules in a twitch channel i frequent wrote:Are you backseating? (See: Giving unsolicited hints, tips, advice, information about the game, or anything of the sort) naeDERP WELL! You may well get timed out for this! Or you already are! Congratulations, you are experiencing JUSTICE! naeWTF Listen. Backseating ruins games for streamers. It's very frustrating to explain and fight against it every time it happens. naeDERP I want to play this game with veergin eyes, learn on my own, and experience the magic that you once did. Respec the LAW.
What the fuck is this. If I read this it would make me want to spoil things
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

I guess it just surprises me that this is a topic we have to keep coming back to since 90% of raocow's LPs are blind/semi-blind. It should be a solved issue by now but obviously it isn't. I haven't watched any of the All The Megamen LPs because the series doesn't really interest me, but it sounds like spoilers are extremely bad in the thread and YT comments for them. I just don't get it.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

Not to sound like an ungrateful jerk or a rabble-rouser, but I feel like there's been more public forum staff movement over the most recent wave of complaints than any of the complaint waves before it. That may be part of why it continues to be a problem.

(Obviously I am not privy to what goes on in reports and any theoretical staff forum.)

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

KobaBeach wrote: 5 years agoanime fans don't deserve to be treated with respect
Well, that one trailer for this very game surely agrees with you
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

SAJewers wrote: 5 years ago I think i'm just more used to twitch chat where even a hint of backseating is punished
Ok please stop trying to impose Twitch rules on talkhaus. They're not the same. I explained before why the forums are different from livechat, why recordings are different from livestream, and you shouldn't import Twitch expectations here in a blanket manner without considering those differences.
FPzero wrote: 5 years ago I haven't watched any of the All The Megamen LPs because the series doesn't really interest me, but it sounds like spoilers are extremely bad in the thread and YT comments for them. I just don't get it.
In my view there have been occasional instances of spoiling in ATMM thread but for the most part people are content with it. The problem has been greater in some other threads - or rather, in those other cases the game is more sensitive towards them. ATMM usually sticks to just basic explanation of things as they are introduced in the LP.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

ano0maly wrote: 5 years ago Ok please stop trying to impose Twitch rules on talkhaus.
I'm not trying to impose Twitch rules, I'm saying that's what i'm more used to, and if I were to be flagging things on here for spoilers or backseating, I'd probably be flagging a lot of things here no one else would, which is largely why i've tried to stay away from calling out anything for spoilers or backseating. I have no context for what is OK and what isn't because that hasn't really been defined here, and my only context is Twitch chat, which obviously isn't helpful here. (edit: and largely why i'm asking if something is considered backseating or not)
Leet wrote:
What the fuck is this. If I read this it would make me want to spoil things
Believe it or not, that'sactually pretty standard on Twitch for streamers who want to experience games blind from what i've seen.
Last edited by SAJewers 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

I would love to punish spoilers in the Mulan thread but I have not played the game and not watching the LP lol
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I would say just stating one's preferences on preferred dub is fine. (Je préfère le français.) If you're trying to arm-twist the player to proceeding with the let's play the way you want, that's going too far, but we should be able to state our suggestions and preferences. The player will still decide what to do as he needs to.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

Mata Hari wrote: 5 years ago I would love to punish spoilers in the Mulan thread but I have not played the game and not watching the LP lol
Should we (continue to?) report offending posts, or would that not matter all that much (given how actively involved staff members tend to be in game threads)?

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Mata Hari

Post by Mata Hari »

Always report posts you feel cross a line, slapping spoiler tags on something is a piece of piss. Like even if I don't know the game, if I see something reported for spoilers and it looks like it a spoiler I'd probably just edit some spoiler tags in because it's like who cares. Something that should be tagged but isn't is a problem, something being tagged when it doesn't have to be usually matters a lot less. Plus the 'spoiler threshold' varies so much between people there's no reason not to err on the side of caution.
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: garbage

Post by Awoo »

I just hope raocow has fun :c
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image