(shouting)

La-Mulana - Wishbringer

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: La-Mulana - Everybody Died... except for me!

Post by Awoo »

So what did destroying that giant's eye actually do?
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Re: La-Mulana - Everybody Dies

Post by Voltgloss »

Awoo wrote: 5 years ago So what did destroying that giant's eye actually do?

It activated the Icevator raocow observed later on.

ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat
Pronouns: He

Post by ZephyrBurst »

So that was a great moment watching raocow knife the floor to the Silver Shield almost immediately after buying the fake one.
Chirei

Re: La-Mulana - All Roads

Post by Chirei »

the real la mulana begins when the player begins manufacturing weird solutions to puzzles not intended by the developer and almost succeeding, thus eliminating the need for the ruins to do any work to confuse them
Draexzhan
Flair text
First name: Nathan

Post by Draexzhan »

Alice wrote: 5 years ago
SAJewers wrote: 5 years ago

according to the patapon spotzone, he can solve it with what he has:

Annotation 2019-04-04 222207.png

they said they just tested it, and it works.

I've tested this myself on several occasions and never successfully managed it so I don't think it's intended. It has to be pixel perfect apparently.

Well I guess this was resolved today.

Fun fact: That entrance to the Twin Labyrinth from Temple of Moonlight can be rendered inaccessible if you step on the platform below that chunk of wall that falls when you put a bread on the dais. The platform would shatter and then the chunk of wall would fall uselessly to the ground below and you'd never be able to reach that ladder. Luckily for raocow he avoided that.
Signature text.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Jumping physics: You cannot ever change directions in the air, unless you happen to stop your momentum with a wall.
This sorta applies with blue and red water, as you noticed, but at least you can reverse, eventually.

One detail to notice is that the bats between the frontside and backside areas look different. In the original, backside bats simply looked meaner. In the remake, it looks like they have red lips?

As for that one tablet warning you about weapons in the Temple of Moonlight, I think it specifically said "Do not use weapons within the woman" No mention of Mother here.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago In the original, backside bats simply looked meaner. In the remake, it looks like they have red lips?
It's a single giant red eye. From the Bestiary: "Description: A one-eyed bat. Normally, animals exhibiting cyclopia are worse off, but these ruin-dwelling bats can outfly their two-eyed counterparts."
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Maybe I just prefer the older sprites.
At least they fixed things so the bats don't blend into blue backgrounds (which was the majority of OG La-Mulana).
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

THAT'S SO KAIZO!

also rao if you dont start checking rooms for eyeballs instead of just whacking away i s2g
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

Getting smashed by the Sun dias is a rite of passage, as evidenced by the achievement for it.

I know it might be weird to say, but it's ok to discover that you can't do anything in an area at that moment. It means you have less places to explore to find the next big path forward. Like today for instance, you discovered that you can't progress further in the Tower of Ruin without some kind of augmented jumping/mobility abilities, and you discovered that there doesn't seem to be anything else to do in the Graveyard right now. That's actually a good thing since you're checking off more dead ends for the future.

Hey Voltgloss, (completely unrelated spoilers)

What's the hint that the Flare Gun room exists? Because I know it's there from all my playthroughs, but does a hint exist? It's not shown on the Inferno Cavern's map iirc, so are you just expected to find it by accident while hitting walls?

FPzero

Post by FPzero »

Christopher Lloyd wrote: 5 years ago THAT'S SO KAIZO!

also rao if you dont start checking rooms for eyeballs instead of just whacking away i s2g
To be fair, a lot of times there's nothing to really suggest what will cause an eyeball to fire lightning. Like, eyeballs in rooms with the weapon capsules are pretty obvious, but why are those pillars in the Tower of Ruin "sacred"? The sequel was a bit better about tying their presence to things in a room.
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

FPzero wrote: 5 years ago Hey Voltgloss, (completely unrelated spoilers)

What's the hint that the Flare Gun room exists? Because I know it's there from all my playthroughs, but does a hint exist? It's not shown on the Inferno Cavern's map iirc, so are you just expected to find it by accident while hitting walls?

1. The NPC in the Inferno Cavern (whom raocow already found) says: "Two weapons are kept in this land. One lies beyond Pazuzu's guard. The other lies in the Serdab of Light, which extends from the pit of flames."

2. The three-screen-tall pit with the shooting-out flame jets is the "pit of flames." Reading the map in any of those three screens gives the room name as "Pit of Fire."

3. The line of rooms shown on the map, extending out from the middle of the Pit of Fire, are called

"Pazuzu's Room" on the map. So, the prize at the end of that line of rooms is the weapon that "lies beyond Pazuzu's guard."

4. So that leaves another weapon in a location (the Serdab of Light) that, per the NPC, "extends from the pit of flames."

And the wall to break to reveal that location is the wall at the bottom of the pit of flames.

You do need to hit walls, but there's an indication where to hit. Also, there's no Eye of Judgment in the room in question (none at all in the entire Inferno Cavern in fact) so the player can really go hog-wild hitting walls in this field.

The one last oblique hint is the part of the manual that explains how the field maps work: that each is 20 rooms that can be collapsed into a 5x4 grid. The Inferno Cavern map shows only 19 rooms; so 1 must be hidden somewhere. And collapsing the 19 rooms shown into a 5x4 grid leaves a hole exactly where the hidden room happens to be.

FPzero

Post by FPzero »

Voltgloss wrote: 5 years ago
FPzero wrote: 5 years ago Hey Voltgloss, (completely unrelated spoilers)

1. The NPC in the Inferno Cavern (whom raocow already found) says: "Two weapons are kept in this land. One lies beyond Pazuzu's guard. The other lies in the Serdab of Light, which extends from the pit of flames."

2. The three-screen-tall pit with the shooting-out flame jets is the "pit of flames." Reading the map in any of those three screens gives the room name as "Pit of Fire."

3. The line of rooms shown on the map, extending out from the middle of the Pit of Fire, are called

"Pazuzu's Room" on the map. So, the prize at the end of that line of rooms is the weapon that "lies beyond Pazuzu's guard."

4. So that leaves another weapon in a location (the Serdab of Light) that, per the NPC, "extends from the pit of flames."

And the wall to break to reveal that location is the wall at the bottom of the pit of flames.

You do need to hit walls, but there's an indication where to hit. Also, there's no Eye of Judgment in the room in question (none at all in the entire Inferno Cavern in fact) so the player can really go hog-wild hitting walls in this field.

The one last oblique hint is the part of the manual that explains how the field maps work: that each is 20 rooms that can be collapsed into a 5x4 grid. The Inferno Cavern map shows only 19 rooms; so 1 must be hidden somewhere. And collapsing the 19 rooms shown into a 5x4 grid leaves a hole exactly where the hidden room happens to be.

Thanks, I didn't think about room names giving away the hint. He hasn't gotten into the habit of checking room names though, so we'll see how long it takes for him to find it.

Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

So here's my story about playing the original:
Before downloading, I knew I wasn't going to be able to finish the game. With the game being hyped up about its 'old-time difficulty', I was okay with that. Ofcourse I still wanted to try it.

After messing around with the 'beginning' of the game (mostly the first 4 fields, as I defined earlier), I decided to try to make up a self-imposed Challenge Run, which is a bit strange when you never beaten the game. "Can you simply reach the final field, without defeating any of the 8 Guardians?"
The answer is: Yes you can, but it wasn't easy, obviously. Especially when I experienced only a quarter of the game! The most notable restriction out of all of this was that the warp between the Temples of the Sun and Moon was my only way into the backside of La-Mulana, for a very long time. It became pretty much a daily ritual to trek my way through both pyramids, and then walk my way everywhere. And I didn't mind.
As mentioned before, Elmac (boss #3) rewards you with the Bronze Mirror in the original. But the mirror would have been almost useless anyway since Backside Doors don't open until you defeat the Gaurdian whose # matches what's above the door.

After succeeding that mini-goal, I then proceeded to beat Guardians... 1 through 5? Maybe I did beat all 8? My memory is fuzzy if I even reached Guardians 6-8, but I can say I did play a very large chunk of the game. I know I didn't reach any of the endgame stuff, but not sure how close I came. I do remember reaching the end the of Endless Corridor, but I can't remember if I acessed its Backside version. Probably.
Last edited by Sebby19 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
FPzero

Post by FPzero »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago As mentioned before, Elmac (boss #3) rewards you with the Bronze Mirror in the original. But the mirror would have been almost useless anyway since

Backside Doors don't open until you defeat the Gaurdian whose # matches what's above the door.

This is kind of a spoiler because

while he knows what the Mirror does, raocow has not yet made the connection that the bosses open them NOR that the glyphs above the doors are numbers

As for your self-imposed challenge, it is pretty interesting that you're able to make it as far into the game as you say you did.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I think the rules regarding Backside Doors slightly changed in the remake. Unless I'm wrong. Not a big deal either way.

One thing I forgot to say about the challenge is that I could've fulfilled it much earlier than when I finally did. Ofcourse, I was playing blind. In more ways than one.

If you must know,

the entrance in the Chamber of Extinction is the earliest point you can reach Shrine of the Mother. Even though you really can't explore the shrine beyond the door, it kinda counts

But yeah, I was so glad I was able to reach my goal, since I didn't even know if it was possible when I made it up.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

tag stuff with spoilers when people tell you something is a spoiler. how many goddamn times does this need to be repeated.

i honestly think that entire post is incredibly spoiler-y in general and should be totally spoiler'd but

and i know i'm right because it was already reported before i got to it
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago Not a big deal either way.
For the millionth time, this is not for you to decide.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago I think the rules regarding Backside Doors slightly changed in the remake. Unless I'm wrong.
quick check on google says how to get the bronze mirror changed, but nothing i can find on if backside doors changed.

for future reference: https://lamulana-remake.fandom.com/wiki/Change_List (note: may contain spoilers?)

edit: also, can we please remain civil here?
Last edited by SAJewers 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

i will say, the existence of an achievement named "This is La-Mulana II" implies the existence of a "This is La-Mulana I" and for my special request I would like to see raocow experience it
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I think the name of that set of achievements is a Deceased Crab quote. Right?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years agoNot a big deal either way.
When are you finally going to learn your lesson? The mods have been absurdly lenient with you as it is when it comes to your spoiler habits. If everyone is saying it's a spoiler then you should just go with what they say rather than digging your feet in yet again.
maou shoujo
devil girl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by maou shoujo »

Parama wrote: 5 years ago i will say, the existence of an achievement named "This is La-Mulana II" implies the existence of a "This is La-Mulana I" and for my special request I would like to see raocow experience it
It's unlikely to happen by accident at this point.

It's getting squished by the falling giant statue in the Mausoleum.

occasional watcher of the lets plays
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

I just realized that Lameza can get Xelpud's e-mails while inside the ruins. This means Lameza can still get an internet connection while far underground in a realm where conventional rules of space do not appear to apply.
Dizzybelle
Barrel!
First name: (◕ v ◕✿)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Dizzybelle »

Kleetus wrote: 5 years ago I just realized that Lameza can get Xelpud's e-mails while inside the ruins. This means Lameza can still get an internet connection while far underground in a realm where conventional rules of space do not appear to apply.
he just has a really really long ethernet cable
ImageImageImage