(shouting)

Re: Donkey Kong Country (La-Banana)(The Great Kongo Bongo Civil War)(LP Subforum Thread one thou- er, make that 999)

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: Donkey Kong Country (La-Banana)(The Great Kongo Bongo Civil War)(LP Subforum Thread one thou- er, make that 999)

Post by KobaBeach »

raocow wrote:Psychic Crown
it's called SLAVE CROWN

edit: also you missed a great opportunity to say "the credits were written by ultimecia" by never playing ff8
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

Somehow this game didn't quite have the charm I remember from Horikawa's LP.
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Monkey Kong Country (La-Banana)(The Great Kongo Bongo Civil War)(LP Subforum Thread one thou- er, make that 999)

Post by Awoo »

KobaBeach wrote: 5 years ago
raocow wrote:Psychic Crown
it's called SLAVE CROWN

edit: also you missed a great opportunity to say "the credits were written by ultimecia" by never playing ff8

Kurse all SeeDs

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Swarming like lokusts akross generations. You disgust me.
Image Image
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I suggested to rao in a PM that the DKC Competition cartridge might make a nice bonus episode, but looks like that is a no. Oh well.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Taigiry

Post by Taigiry »

Finally caught up and... I remember some of K. Rool's attacks being faster?
TCRF wrote:European
Europe v1.0

K. Rool's behavior is a bit different: after the cannonballs drop from above, he will immediately throw his crown instead of just standing there for a while.
The mine carts have less momentum, making those levels much more difficult.

Europe v1.1

Fixed the bugs that were fixed in US v1.2.
Well, good to know i wasn't hallucinating.

As for Chimp Caverns, I only remember it because of how anticlimactic the whole place is. Even then, I only remember Tanked Up Trouble and Platform Perils. What a weird world.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Falky wrote: 5 years agoThe bonuses in 2 and 3 are generally more sensibly-placed anyway.
Yeah, it's the actual warp barrels that are weirdly placed. Some of them are in such out of the way and random locations it's a miracle anyone ever actually discovered them. Like the one immediately above an off-screen bonus barrel in the first world of DKC2 (at the very beginning of the level nonetheless) or the one in the swamp world where you have to use Dixie's helicopter spin to spin under one of the first platforms in the level, where you'd normally be expecting nothing but a death.
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

Alice wrote: 5 years ago
Falky wrote: 5 years agoThe bonuses in 2 and 3 are generally more sensibly-placed anyway.
Yeah, it's the actual warp barrels that are weirdly placed. Some of them are in such out of the way and random locations it's a miracle anyone ever actually discovered them. Like the one immediately above an off-screen bonus barrel in the first world of DKC2 (at the very beginning of the level nonetheless) or the one in the swamp world where you have to use Dixie's helicopter spin to spin under one of the first platforms in the level, where you'd normally be expecting nothing but a death.
I think you’re thinking of something else, there’s only Warps in worlds 1 and 2
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

MonkeyShrapnel wrote: 5 years agoI think you’re thinking of something else, there’s only Warps in worlds 1 and 2
Yeah, I mixed up Topsail Trouble in Gangplank Galleon with Slime Climb in Krem Quay. Though I think that the one I was originally thinking of was Mainbrace Mayhem anyways. Looking it up, that's the one I was visually thinking of, though both are accessed in more or less the same fashion anyways.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Leet wrote: 5 years ago Wait, there's a GBC port that's a distinct thing from Land? What the hell I never heard about this in my life
Didn't know this either, and I LP'd Land. By the way, Donkey Kong Land is amazing, apart from having terrible graphics. It is a completely original game that has nothing to do with DKC's level design, everything is unique, and it even features some new tilesets. DKL is also very much an in-between game in the sense that a lot of DKC2's level design philosophy blends into it, and that makes the levels go by faster, have more flow, a lot more jumping from enemy to enemy, and you don't have to stop and do precise platforming nearly as often.

Everyone should give it a look, it's a really neat Game Boy game.

EDIT: Oh yeah and most of the soundtrack is also original, give it a listen it owns (except for the

godawful cloud levels

, don't listen to/play those)

EDIT²: Just put this one on again. Dat energy. And yes, there are

skyscraper levels.

Last edited by Paragraph 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Good thing for you is all the DK Land games are Coming Up Next.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Eh, I personally did not enjoy DKL1 at all and I 100%ed it, sorry.

If anyone else does, power to them though!
Image Image
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago Good thing for you is all the DK Land games are Coming Up Next.
Oh, I didn't know that. I'll put spoilers in then, sorry!

Everyone should try DKL anyway, it really pleasantly surprised me :)
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

No, no, you don't need to do that.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

Sebby, can you not dissuade folks from using spoiler tags if they want to? There's literally no harm in taking a "better safe than sorry" approach, and actively encouraging the opposite attitude is only going to make things worse.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

are we gonna re-use this thread for the future DKC/DKL games, or use new threads?
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I'm feeling it might be best to start over fresh considering this thread's beginnings
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Yeah, it's not like you decided to marathon the DK games like Megaman.

And if you did, you already missed the 3 arcade games.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Are we using this thread for the DKC trilogy or is someone making a DKC2 thread? :absorbtion:

Also, which emulator is raocow using? I ask because there's a reason ZSNES is not recommended (more than usual) for this game in particular.
For some reason, with ZSNES if you enter a rotatable barrel and spin it, you can't stop it - it just keeps spinning on its own in whichever direction you last picked. I remember a long ago a person doing let's play getting burned by this.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

scroll TWO POSTS UP
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.