(shouting)

Re: Donkey Kong Country (La-Banana)(The Great Kongo Bongo Civil War)(LP Subforum Thread one thou- er, make that 999)

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Re: Donkey Kong Country (La-Banana)(The Great Kongo Bongo Civil War)(LP Subforum Thread one thou- er, make that 999)

Post by Mandew »

I like all of the GBA maps except for Vine Valley's. That one feels like it lost a big chunk of itself in the transition.

also man, now that I see how the SNES DKC maps look like when its pieces are assembled, it really puts in perspective how much work went into their stunning composition.

and while GBA maps are neat, seeing them this way feels less like a journey through treacherous terrains and more like a walk to the cornerstore.
Last edited by Mandew 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
video games
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: Donkey Kong Country (GBA) - banana sundae

Post by KobaBeach »

Blivsey wrote: 5 years ago GBA maps
I'm sorry but these just look extremely worse overall
The originals have that fantastic realism aesthetic going on, but the GBA ones just look like cheap 90s CGI cartoons, for example the official Donkey Kong Country cartoon

Vine Valley looks aesthetically pleasing as a place I'd like to visit, but compared to the original it just Doesn't Even Compare!!

Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

I didn't see it mentioned anywhere in either the YT comments or this thread, but there's a weird shortcut in Slipslide Ride that feels more like a glitch than anything. Just above the first bonus room (the one at the very start of the stage), if you look near the top of the screen, you can barely make out a weird blue blast barrel. You can only enter it with DK's longer reach, and it warps you to the same place in the stage where you exit the last bonus room. It's not *that* significant of a shortcut, and it was removed in the GBA remake, so like I said, it feels like a glitch. But. *shrug* No idea. It's something I rarely see mentioned anywhere, either.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Petzi

Post by Petzi »

Canadians are the beaver's natural predator
Oui oui. Je suis très jambon.
Taigiry

Post by Taigiry »

Blivsey wrote: 5 years agoGBA Maps
Those honestly look pretty bad. They have such a brightly saturated look, giving them a pretty cartoony appearance that it clashes with the more realistic in-game graphics. If anything, I'd expect the maps from the Returns series to look like this. And Vine valley isn't even recognizable. Like, I'm used to the DKC2 GBA maps and while I've never been a fan of those either, I gotta say they at least aren't as bad as the DKC1 ones.
Isrieri
Creatively Bankrupt
Pronouns: Male

Post by Isrieri »

raocow I feel you on crocotpus chase, man: Those stupid squids in the last room killed me so many times...

I think its because everything else in the game moves in very predictable left/right patterns and, as a kid, the squids jutting around feels like the most unpredictable and erratic movement in the whole-wide-world plus they pop up out of nowhere so I always got super tensed up and afraid. Almost as afraid as the bees.

Also, why does the ostrich have a bird head hanging from it's belly?
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

YelseyKing wrote: 5 years ago I didn't see it mentioned anywhere in either the YT comments or this thread, but there's a weird shortcut in Slipslide Ride that feels more like a glitch than anything. Just above the first bonus room (the one at the very start of the stage), if you look near the top of the screen, you can barely make out a weird blue blast barrel. You can only enter it with DK's longer reach, and it warps you to the same place in the stage where you exit the last bonus room. It's not *that* significant of a shortcut, and it was removed in the GBA remake, so like I said, it feels like a glitch. But. *shrug* No idea. It's something I rarely see mentioned anywhere, either.
Any warp past world 2 is removed in the gba port, and levels without warps had them added in, 100% not a glitch
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

As a kid, I found Crotopus Chase to be the most stressful level in the whole game. Although those squids gave me one game over on the level, that was the only time that they killed me. I found the croctopi to be the biggest hurdle because I kept going the wrong way and ending up in the places where they were supposed to enter as they stopped moving. The first part of snow mountain is the part of the game that I remember the best because I replayed it so many times.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Petzi wrote: 5 years ago Canadians are the beaver's natural predator
They had it coming.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

Taigiry wrote: 5 years ago
Blivsey wrote: 5 years agoGBA Maps
Agreeable Opinions
Don't forget that the saturation issue in particular was an attempt to make things more visible on an unlit GBA screen... but yeah, I agree the SNES maps are overall better, especially since every GBA map seems to be set at midday. I'll give Vine Valley credit for those cool Echidnaopolis statues at the bridge, though
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

Seeing all the maps together like that, it strikes me that the Kong family is really dedicated to putting up signs that say "caves".
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

I could've sworn every wprld in dkc1 had five levels and a boss. Huh. Guess that's just trie for the sequels?
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Blivsey wrote: 5 years ago I'll give Vine Valley credit for those cool Echidnaopolis statues at the bridge, though
diva-isnous

EDIT: Torchlight Trouble would be a lot less bad if it wasn't for the seizure feature
Last edited by KobaBeach 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

w1 has 5
w2 has 5
w3 has 6
w4 has 6
w5 has 7
I'm pretty sure w6 returns to only having 5 though
video games
Blivsey

Donkey Kong Country (GBA) - d! k! airpods! on!

Post by Blivsey »

• Torchlight Trouble: Above the exit
  • Rope Bridge Rumble: To the left of the second tire after the first bonus area
    (this is my favorite photo in the game and i cant properly explain why)
That screen-flashing in Torchlight Trouble was fixed in the Virtual Console versions as part of Nintendo's ongoing Bright-Flashing-Lights-Reduction spree. We're all thankful for it.

Really Gnawty is bigger in the GBA port! And instead of high jumps, he leaps to the end of the screen, becomes invincible, and drops stalactites across the screen! He is still an easy boss but bless his soul he's trying
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

Kremkroc probably bribed the planning department.

There was also something else I wanted to say but I forgot what it was.
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man

Re: Donkey Kong Country (GBA) - d! k! airpods! on!

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

Blivsey wrote: 5 years ago Really Gnawty is bigger in the GBA port! And instead of high jumps, he leaps to the end of the screen, becomes invincible, and drops stalactites across the screen! He is still an easy boss but bless his soul he's trying
The Stalactites thing is so bizarre, did the Rare team working on the port not notice that boss fights take place outside?
Where are the stalactites growing, on clouds?
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

but the background is black................................................................................
Image Image
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

KobaBeach wrote: 5 years ago but the background is black................................................................................
There’s clouds in the background

KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Gonna be real, I always just thought they were in a cave????

GBA version is pitch black, however. WARNING OBNOXIOUS INTRO

Image Image
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I never questioned where the banana piles were. They were just in an ominous banana arena
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Blivsey

Post by Blivsey »

psst that video's also a good way to see the remade queen b. fight
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

The fights take place in the Banana Realm.

but yeah ngl I thought they were caves myself up until I had the outside pile realization on video 2 of this LP. Even then the clouds are like nigh-impossible to make out, hadn't noticed them until y'all pointed them out and even then I had to look up the background rip on TSR
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Fun fact: When Diddy does his 'lose minigame' animation, his sprite physically moves forward as he stomps down on his hat.

Fun fact 2: In today's 2nd level, if you stop on a stationary platform and let the moving one go forward off screen, the Kong's will play their losing animation, and you'll lose a life.

Fun fact 3: If Diddy is at the edge of the scaffolding when the above happens, he'll throw his hat down into the pit, and jump off to chase after it! You will lose 2 lives this way.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mata Hari »

raocow I have an important question, viz: do you intend to use episode names from the cartoon as a title gimmick for one of the sequels

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago Fun fact: When Diddy does his 'lose minigame' animation, his sprite physically moves forward as he stomps down on his hat.

Fun fact 2: In today's 2nd level, if you stop on a stationary platform and let the moving one go forward off screen, the Kong's will play their losing animation, and you'll lose a life.

Fun fact 3: If Diddy is at the edge of the scaffolding when the above happens, he'll throw his hat down into the pit, and jump off to chase after it! You will lose 2 lives this way.
quoting this because it's fun to know and it's the kind of post that I personally would hate to have stuck at the bottom of the page if I had written it.