(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by KobaBeach »

i beat dragon quest again yesterday and now i'm at hamlin in dragon quest 2

grinding for money and to get moonbrooke up a few levels
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Getting there!
Slimeman01
Minecraft Lore Creationist
First name: Matt
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Slimeman01 »

Ashan wrote: 5 years ago Getting there!
Honestly, it's worth it with the lost to intentionally try to break the game or reset for pyro/host hat. It's that brutal
:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Slimeman01 wrote: Honestly, it's worth it with the lost to intentionally try to break the game or reset for pyro/host hat. It's that brutal
I'm not sure if you missed the point of that post but I have everything done except for Greed Mode and Greedier Mode. I also got a 2 win streak with The Lost. He's not bad now that he has Holy Mantle, he's actually pretty OP cause you'll pretty much always get devil deals since you'll never lose a red heart (since he has none), and he gets them for free. Plus free Curse Room access, as long as you don't get hit by anything inside of one.

Keeper on the other hand is a bit of a thing. I did manage to get a few of his completion marks in a play session though. Including Delerium who I assume will be the hardest of all of them!
metasomnia?
butts

Post by metasomnia? »

I started Xenoblade Chronicles 2 in the last week of January and I'm still playing it

Help

I'm in NG+ and still have three rare Blades left to acquire and max out, and some quests I didn't finish during the first run. After that I'm gonna start Torna: The Golden Country and that's going to eat my life

Also I have like three games sitting right near the end or on the two-thirds mark and I should probably go back and beat those ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I did it, nerds
Slimeman01
Minecraft Lore Creationist
First name: Matt
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Slimeman01 »

Ashan wrote: 5 years ago
Slimeman01 wrote: Honestly, it's worth it with the lost to intentionally try to break the game or reset for pyro/host hat. It's that brutal
I'm not sure if you missed the point of that post but I have everything done except for Greed Mode and Greedier Mode. I also got a 2 win streak with The Lost. He's not bad now that he has Holy Mantle, he's actually pretty OP cause you'll pretty much always get devil deals since you'll never lose a red heart (since he has none), and he gets them for free. Plus free Curse Room access, as long as you don't get hit by anything inside of one.
Wow, I completely forgot to specify that it was for Greed/Greedier. My bad!
:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Slimeman01 wrote: 5 years ago Wow, I completely forgot to specify that it was for Greed/Greedier. My bad!
Oh, got it. But also I did Greed and Greedier with him last night and it was... kinda easy? For the regular floors, coins are constantly spawning since that's the gimmick of Greed Mode, and those are just heals. And for Ultra greed, every time he hits you you drop coins, so you can always just heal. The Lost on the other hand, I'm basically just breaking the game with D20. I beat Greed Mode with him and got a breaking run in Greedier Mode, went into the Ultra Greed fight with a double-charged white card while holding Chaos Card (so I could use it for both phases with an extra shot if I missed) but for some reason I could never get him to throw the card properly and missed every time. And eventually died cause I had to fight him regularly with a not amazing build.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Woo finished with The Lost
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Started playing Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice yesterday. The controls feel pretty good but also I don't think I understand the combat yet and I'm having trouble now that I'm getting into the first real bosses. I'm kinda playing it like Dark Souls right now which I don't think is how you're supposed to for the most part.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Started playing Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy which I haven't played since way back when it was only on the PS2. Immediately ran into the most frustrating part about the game: It's a great game but it feels really poorly balanced at times.

Ie: Getting several health restores almost immediately after starting the game when you couldn't possibly realistically need them but then from that first area until way past the first save point you don't get anymore health restores despite needing to climb a wall with enemies that will try and attack you and you can't defend against, go through a cave with these laser eye things (which are mostly trivial to deal with actually, other than the part that involves grabbing on to a wall and climbing past some which is much slower and kinda obnoxious because of it), then complete a puzzle section afterwards to get your first item. After that you have to find your way to this cave, go through it, grab another item, then fight some enemies. You get no health restoration during any of this. I was already down to a little under half health when I reached the save. When I reached the fight against the enemies I was at one health.

So the enemies spawn, I attack, my attack apparently falls short (it looked like it connected though), I immediately die, and... I'm back at the save point which was a good 10-15 minutes before that. Granted since I figured out how to do everything between those points it would take like half the time but it's still frustrating. Why are there NO health restores during all of this? Or if there are they're not in any obvious locations. At the very least the game does a garbage job of communicating it if it is in fact possible.

I remember feeling much the same when I originally played it. The controls felt a little clunky at times but if you could get past that and deal with the annoying balancing issues it was a great game.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I'm kinda more understanding Sekiro at this point I think? But also I'm still not great at dealing with basic enemies. The combat is really complex, it's kinda like Dark Souls except parrying is kinda mandatory and also there's a few different types of parries that need to be used for different attacks. And I'm still not really understanding any of them. I've gotten through several bosses including what I think are 2 "major" bosses. And oddly I had less trouble with those than I did with what I guess are called the mini bosses which are usually just regular enemies but with way more poise (or whatever it's called in this game) and have to be killed with 2 deathblows.

It's a strange system. On rare occasions it seems like enemy health matters, but in most it's more like the goal is to make them stagger so you can pull a finisher on them, making health pretty useless. I think I might enjoy it if I figure out the controls, but so far I'm 11 hours in and still don't feel super confident I have.

In Isaac news, I finished off a couple more of the hard challenges required for the 100% achievement. One of them involved playing through a run and beating the Lamb without picking up any coins, bombs, or hearts. I played as The Lost since he can't take hearts anyway and gets free devil deals and basically got carried through the game because I got a first floor Daddy Long Legs and second floor Gnawed Leaf, which basically meant I could just walk into a room and press nothing while all the enemies died. Later on got a few orbitals that helped with that as well.

And last night I did the Ultra Hard challenge which was kinda dumb. If you're not familiar with this challenge this is all the rules, of which there are many. After a few attempts I got D4 at the beginning of a run, which when used would often reroll me into a few health up items which was the closest thing I could get to healing, and it would also occasionally give me a pretty good damage output build (and sometimes a horrible one too). Regardless, I'm glad to have it out of the way.

I think at this point I've completed the most difficult achievements. Those being all the completion ticks for The Lost and Keeper, the Marathon achievement for beating the daily run 5 days in a row, the no coins/bombs/hearts thing I mentioned earlier, and the difficult challenges which people says are Ultra Hard and Speed (which I did earlier without much thought). I think the only one that might be hard now is 5 Nights at Moms which is getting a 5 win streak with 5 different characters, but I think that's doable (not to jinx myself). Also completing the found items list, mainly cause I never get angel rooms cause I'm too trigger-happy with devil deals.

Also I realize I wrote WAY too much about stuff nobody's interested in except for me.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

shut the f up you are valid and what you're interested in is fascinating and id love to hear more about it and i believe in that you can beat every game you play because you're fucking captain n

Anyway I woke up thinking of Planet Robobot so I played some Kirby's Dream Land again.
Simple, but fun. The bosses are kinda carol-y but I actually don't mind that unless they're egregiously bad (Seven Memes, Neo VIPdeath, Lightgazer). I completely forgot I beat Extra Game :)
Image Image
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

I beat the

Lord of Shadows

in DQXI at around 95~ hours.
Boy howdy is this game long.
I've gotten to the post game and that's also not going at all how I expected it to.
It's a very interesting post game.

Honestly, its more of a 3rd part to the story. I can't say I expected time travel.
It's interesting having Serena not be overpowered again.

Here's to another 50 hours of the game probably.
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Oops, I started Circle of the Moon again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Can't wait to get ill again and end up dropping it.

Also at Alefgard in Dragon Quest II.
Grinded for the Wizard's Wand but it turns out it's pretty pointless in the Famicom version unless you want a way for someone in your team to cast Sizz (Firebal [sic]) in exchange for pretty poor attack power (which is like why). Eh, I got experience out of it.
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Supercleared the first world of Kirby Trans Allies Star Allies. Got it as an early bday present (I'm 22 tomorrow).

Money's short because of business at their restaurant going quiet, so my sister, my brother and my mom had to each pitch in to buy it, and it was also a 45€ used copy rather than a 60€ new copy. I kinda feel bad about it, but they wanted to buy me something. Still...

Hope I can manage to buy Battle Royale and Extra Yarn someday.
Hopefully with money of my own. Or just mod my 3DS, either or, I've purposely kept it from updating for that purpose.

Switch cards don't taste that bad, y'all are just babies. (← Drinks coffee everyday and prefers dark chocolate over milk chocolate)
Image Image
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

After getting to 2 bosses in Sekiro that seemed to be impossible I finally did some Googling to figure out what the hell I was doing wrong, and the key thing I was missing is that blocking makes your posture restore faster. It was probably explained somewhere at the beginning of the game but I was learning so many new mechanics that I don't remember if it did, and it turns out that's a pretty important thing to know. I never even tried it cause I was so used to Dark Souls where blocking does the opposite, and makes stamina recover slowly.

Once I figured this out, I managed to take down a boss I had been getting murdered by without doing like any damage to it in previous attempts.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

I got the Kick Boots in Castlevania: Circle of the Moon, but I keep dying in the Eternal Corridor.

Also got a few moons in Lake Kingdom in Super Mario Odyssey, working on Wooded Kingdom now.
I kinda wish Odyssey didn't have like 20+ moons per Kingdom, it makes them feel meaningless.

I guess they needed a good way to reward exploration but...
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Since I've barely had any time to make traction in Wargroove, I started up Blaster Master Zero 2. For a stealth launched game, it's looking pretty fun. I think I like the idea of smaller hub area maps more than the whole trip through an interconnected world like the first game had.
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Holy fuck, was I on a roll last night*

First, I picked up a run of Dead Cells. Now, before this, I had yet to defeat a boss in a run. In the Ramparts, I pick up an L-class weapon (Explosive Crossbow), and suddenly ran the floor on the game. I not only beat the first boss, but also the second…and had I not fallen into spikes in the room before the final boss (Hand of the King) and lost my insta-revive, I would’ve cleared the run for the first time. And this is despite having only two of the runes (weed and teleport runes)

Had some dinner, then played Sonic Mania. I’ve been grinding on getting all the Emeralds (Special Stage access is hard and really goes against playing with the flow of the game), and this one particular emerald (the sixth) was giving me ire. I finally get it after figuring out the trick after two tries. Then I got to the final Emerald…and got it first try. Decided to continue the game to its conclusion.

Man, it was good last night O:

*Exception: Trying out Tetris 99. First try 77th despite not knowing how to quick drop. Second try 93rd ):
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Started Wild ARMs 2 and made it to the Telepath Tower. Will do it tomorrow.

This game has:
1) a messy translation
2) a jrpg plot about

the protagonist having to face his literal inner demons as he is close to becoming the main villain

3) Pokémon TCG style portraits for the bestiary
4) a literal anime OP and ED that play whenever you load a save/start a new game and finish a session, respectively

This game is literally the late 90s-early 2000s anime experience burnt onto a CD.

Overall its pretty good, the graphics have taken a massive leap from the eyesore that was Wild ARMs 1, the music is even better, the 2D sprites on a 3D plane look reminds me a lot of Breath of Fire III (and IV, but I haven't played that one yet orz), it's just the story is a bit awkward to parse with the much too rapid pacing and awkward translation. Then again, JRPGs.
Image Image
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I'm actually surprised you think Wild Arms 2 looks better than the original. The minimalistic look was more appealing on the eyes than polygons everywhere deal the sequel had. I do enjoy the game outside of the worse music and definitely worse translation since the gameplay is neato. Maybe I was just disappointed with the presentation since these two games were released four years apart.

Going to give Blaster Master Zero 2 another go tonight. Finally have what looks like a fun, short game to go through that won't require much thinking. Considering how out of it I've been the last couple of weeks, that's appreciated.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

look i thought hydlide and milon's secret castle weren't that bad, so Clearly my priorities are fucked up (either that or rpgs are just like pizza to me)

Edit: beat super street fighter ii as ryu
Image Image
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Finished off Sekiro today! Final boss took me I think a good 2 or 3 hours of attempts across 2 play sessions. Fun game, but very challenging.

It's the Dark Souls of Dark Souls
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

hhhhhhhhhhhh i booted up actraiser sometime ago and now im at aitos 2 hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

EDIT: beat it
Image Image