(shouting)

Mega Man - We're Here Forever!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Re: Mega Man 9 - Retro Reboot

Post by Crow »

yeah i think when i played this game like a decade ago myself i never got past this one
it's brutal lol
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

You got the secondary or last-ditch special weapons to use right in the fight with that shark boss. As for the actual ones, Laser Trident is indeed the best weapon of both the back and front of the machine. It's also weak to Tornado Blow which trivializes the part where you're underneath it. Hornet Chaser can also work on the face even though it won't stop the lasers like Black Hole Bomb.

Not the hardest fight in the world unless you get too antsy and jump at the wrong moment. I honestly think the first part is the worst since you still have to shoot those missiles down at the right time to get the hatch to open where you can still shoot it.
galrinal

Post by galrinal »

It's funny to watch this after Caddicarus had so much trouble with those spike jumps in his playthroughs, and see raocow do them in a few tries.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

the music in today's level reminded me that this exists, if anyone wants it

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Ashan wrote: 5 years ago I'm gonna make a guess that the Japanese version wasn't worried about pronouns. i.e. however they phrased the dialogue in that cutscene didn't make it so it needed to be distinguished, and it wasn't really in the scope of the translation team's job to add more logic to the cutscene to change text based on that event.
It probably wasn't the translation team's job to design a fix on the programming level, but at the very least, it should have been their job (or QA Testing's job) to report it to someone that can fix it. What I'm gathering from this given my job sometimes entails quality assurance is that either (a) at least one person along the line was made aware of this issue and didn't care enough to report it, or (b) the translation phase was Not Very Good and introduced this error and the QA phase was Not Very Good and missed it entirely.

This being Capcom, of course, I have no issue believing one of these things is true.
Zummorr wrote: 5 years ago By this point Doctor Wily is a convicted and escaped criminal. He's maliciously tampered with other robot's programing, performed grand theft, international kidnapping, blackmail, impersonation, caused untold damages with his robots, meddled with cosmic ancient evil. The list goes on after that.

Societal woes aside. Not one of Light's 8 robots master thought it might be a good idea to arrest Wily.

And they worried about being useful!
I mean

Mega Man 10 literally begins with Wily showing up at Light's doorstep with "hey let's work together to solve this worldwide problem" and the good guys are all "yeah okay sure" instead of being like "how did you find this address" or "we'll chat with you for a while and totally not stall for the time necessary for the police to arrive"

Clearly Team 9 here is just taking after their superiors
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Every time someone mentions the difficulty of this game I always think "it's not that bad... except for Wily 2 where out of nowhere they make you do a few consecutive precise underwater jumps with a low ceiling corner above you which you're likely to hit your head on."
It's kinda weird and out of place, and it feels more like kaizo-esque difficulty than classic Mega Man difficulty. But if you're careful about it it's not impossible.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

really digging the gotcha trap in tonight's level. 'digging'
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

This game's Wily Fortress is very true to MM2 retro form in that it can suck my fucking nards
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

git gud, losers 8-)
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Did raocow just say "Wily Peyote"?
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Ashan wrote: 5 years ago Every time someone mentions the difficulty of this game I always think "it's not that bad... except for Wily 2 where out of nowhere they make you do a few consecutive precise underwater jumps with a low ceiling corner above you which you're likely to hit your head on."
It's kinda weird and out of place, and it feels more like kaizo-esque difficulty than classic Mega Man difficulty. But if you're careful about it it's not impossible.
Now that confuses me because those kind of jumps even underwater have been in nearly every classic Mega Man from MM4 on. Wily 1 (4), Wily 2 (5), Centaur Man (6), Wily 3's underwater route (7). Guess the thing is you can't cheese this one as easily as you could the others with items or Rush.

I'm more against the Gotcha! traps in this game that are all over the place. Funnily enough with raocow's comment, I don't know which one he's talking about because the game has that many. Ha-ha.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I don't really remember those. But from the original NES Mega Man I'm mostly familiar with 2 and 3. Although there was a while I got really into 5, but I don't remember the don't-bump-your-head-on-the-corner-jump in it
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Super Maks 64 »

At least in this game you can have the spike protection item (that is if you have bougth it and still have it by this point)
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

Kilgamayan wrote: 5 years ago I mean

Mega Man 10 literally begins with Wily showing up at Light's doorstep with "hey let's work together to solve this worldwide problem" and the good guys are all "yeah okay sure" instead of being like "how did you find this address" or "we'll chat with you for a while and totally not stall for the time necessary for the police to arrive"

Clearly Team 9 here is just taking after their superiors
I mean that has bigger problems than that. Like how Dr.Light, a world leading robotics scientist, was caught off-guard by an emerging problem in robotics.

MM9

opens up the whole continuity can of worms at the end anyways.

Also Wily knew their address since MM5, and the automated police were taking a sick day. :P

It's almost as if these things fail to hold up if scrutinized.
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Mega Man 9 - Retrobot

Post by Awoo »

Ashan wrote: 5 years ago git gud, losers 8-)
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

*die
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

oh yeah devil bosses, the worst thing they keep bringing back all the time for no good reason
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Oof, no more E-Tanks, huh. At least you still have the damage reduction item.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

As a part of the level design, randomly bringing back the carrying guy from galaxy man to suddenly kill you right at the end of the room is unfair. As a joke, it's hilarious
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Only bummer for this game is that once you go to the fortress stages, you're locked in. I know the NES ones were like that, but MM7 through just about everything else you've played to this point happened, so it still feels odd. I still get annoyed that you can't switch weapons on the fly in this game more than anything else. Just one of my berserk buttons since I don't like pausing games much.

And yeah, Twin Devil would've taken you down had you not have used the E-Tank. It was unfortunate, but necessary.
Super Llama
Love is stored in the robot

Post by Super Llama »

I'm just gonna leave this here.
Mineyl

Post by Mineyl »

Worst thing about the gotcha' on Wily 3 there is when you don't realize that you can put on Jewel Satellite to kill the enemy after it's attached to you, prompting you to try to PERFECTLY line yourself up with the ladder and the spikes on every one of your first several playthroughs of the stage. That TOTALLY didn't happen to me. Nope. :oops:

As for the devils, I know they gave you a lot of trouble, but they're actually super easy if you abuse pause cancelling. It allows you to score two or even three hits on the eye in a single pass if you're fast enough. Of course, no one expected you to use this trick or even be considering its existence, so no big deal, but it's there! I'm just glad you pulled out the Black Hole Bombs instead of trying to buster duel them. That...would've been something else for sure.
raocow wrote:I don't know what it means, but you're screaming at me and I'm used to that.
Mea

Post by Mea »

Oh wow, they included that pause multi-hitting thing? Now that's a retro throwback I can get behind. Especially on Devil bosses that normally take forever.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

It's not a pause multi-hit, but it allows you to cancel the Black Hole that you opened up with your first shot so you can place a second. It's really fiddly because the core moves so quickly.

The twin devil fight is a travesty and I hate that they felt the need to put in yet another devil, but somehow even more tedious than usual. It should at least be easy to hit his fucking weakness when it finally decides to open itself up.

The "gotcha" moment is almost funny, but not really considering the context. It actually does have one reason to be there: if you trigger it from the moment you go into the screen, it will carry you into the M-Tank instead of spikes. I don't know if it's actually possible to get the M-Tank without its help.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

I appreciate and sympathize with the fact that the gotcha trap is poor design but goddamn if it wasn't funny as hell to watch. I somehow never triggered that guy any of the times I played this game so I had no clue it was coming.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image