(shouting)

Super Mario Bros. 3MIX - Tippi and Count Bleck

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Grounder

Re: Super Mario Bros. 3MIX - i don't have any purple coins

Post by Grounder »

Yeah, I recommend that you either do more than one world a video for the easiest bits or just get a savestate at World 0.

I don't recall these being interesting (and even forgot them entirely until they popped up).
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Hopefully the other types of comets are introduced. Besides the Purple Coin and the red Daredevil comets, there was also the orange Speedy comets, which gave a strict time limit. Galaxy 2 took this one further by sometimes giving you 10 seconds to live, and you had to collect clocks to survive.

There was also the yellow Fast Foe/Double Time comets, which increased enemy and hazard speeds. Finally, the blue Cosmic Clone comets. Galaxy 1 simply had you race 1 starry clone to the goal, while Galaxy 2 instead has multiple clones follow behind, copying your movements.

Galaxy 2 also had 'Romp' comets, which put you in a small arena of enemies.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago Hopefully the other types of comets are introduced.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Re: Super Mario Bros. 3MIX - over 9000 (galaxy)

Post by Alice »

Classtoise wrote: 5 years ago
Super Maks 64 wrote: 5 years ago
Classtoise wrote: 5 years agoI'm sure this thread will find some way to blame the game for this.
What lead to raocow resetting the game was a pretty rude Star Coin placement; it was right before the midpoint with no way to die if you missed it and getting it required disobeying coin guides in a blind drop, so yes, you could blame the game for that.
Careful you don't pull anything stretching like that.
If I recall correctly the midpoint immediately after the coin couldn't be avoided so it really was bad design on the designer's part. You can't exactly tell that the coin is coming up, the coin guide leads you away from it, and you have no chance to die (other than time out) without hitting the midpoint first. I don't think raocow's workaround was any better but the issue here was clearly the game, regardless of raocow's bad decision-making skills.
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

SAJewers wrote: 5 years ago
Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago Hopefully the other types of comets are introduced.
my smile and optimism, gone
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

I think that ground texture is the Gutsman blocks.
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

freshtalk wrote: 5 years ago I think the purple coins thing is kinda neat, but the red comet ones where you just play the level again without getting hit is really lame.
100% accurate to Galaxy then, daredevil comets suck.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I guess the author had no choice but to make them suck to preserve the extreme accuracy exhibited by everything else in this game. I have not run "making fun of 'accuracy' as a supposed design goal" into the ground enough yet
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Clyceer

Post by Clyceer »

Lives don't even do anything in this whole comet section of the game, do they? I mean, they prevent the game over screen, but there are no checkpoints to preserve. Building up lives is solely for once we finally get to the middle star in Star Road, I guess.

I also have to wonder if it would be a better strategy to do all the daredevil comets first. On the one hand, you'd be able to keep your powerups between the coin comets. On the other hand, you'd have to listen to the daredevil comet music all at once, which may not be worth it. :)
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

So the yellow coins during the purple comet sections are indeed counted. But do they give you a 1up if you cross 99? That is the real question.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

Leet wrote: 5 years ago I guess the author had no choice but to make them suck to preserve the extreme accuracy exhibited by everything else in this game. I have not run "making fun of 'accuracy' as a supposed design goal" into the ground enough yet
actually, a lot of the Daredevil Comet sections in the original were much shorter- off the top of my head, there was only one in the entire game that asked you to replay the entire level from start to finish: Melty Molten. I wanna say Bouldergeist was the same, but probably not. 99% of the time Daredevil appears, it's to ask you to fight a boss without getting hit. A fair, short challenge. This....just asks you to replay a whole level without powerups. Something that may naturally happen in 2D mario ANYWAY.

So it's not so much accuracy as much as "hey this idea is cool we should totally do it lol" and forgetting the ramifications on fun
Leet

Re: Super Mario Bros. 3MIX - attn: mr. mephisto

Post by Leet »

To be honest I don't really think the purple coin levels are that much better, just shorter. Yeah, having to collect coins adds an extra element in theory, but the coin placement has been so boring that in practice you're just playing the level normally again anyway. At least the no powerup levels actually add a challenge.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

Here raocow, see if you prefer the original tracks.

Purple coins:

Speedy/Daredevil:

thenintendobox

Post by thenintendobox »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 5 years ago
freshtalk wrote: 5 years ago I think the purple coins thing is kinda neat, but the red comet ones where you just play the level again without getting hit is really lame.
100% accurate to Galaxy then, daredevil comets suck.
well technically there was only 1 daredevil comet in the game that had you do an entire level with just 1 hp, all the others were just boss refights
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

AuraLancer wrote: 5 years ago Here raocow, see if you prefer the original tracks.
yes

I mean it helps when we don't loose instruments for the nefarious act of 'jumping' and 'collecting coins in a coin collecting level'
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

He could've atleast implimented the Speedy and Fast Foe comets. Maybe even adding clocks or green berries is't too far out of the question.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

Maybe, just maybe, not having the comets all together would've been a better idea.
ImageImage
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker

Post by Super Maks 64 »

AuraLancer wrote: 5 years ago
I really thought that these were SiIvagunner's high quality rips until I clicked on them.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Silvagunner's channel was nuked a month and half ago.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker

Post by Super Maks 64 »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago Silvagunner's channel was nuked a month and half ago.
It's now back though.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

so these are basically the *definition* of padding, right? can anyone think of a more blatant example? legit curious because man I sure can't
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Question: does anything special happen if you win the card game?
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Leet

Post by Leet »

Voltgloss wrote: 5 years ago so these are basically the *definition* of padding, right? can anyone think of a more blatant example? legit curious because man I sure can't
Games where you have to play the whole thing again to actually get an ending?
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Leet wrote: 5 years ago
Voltgloss wrote: 5 years ago so these are basically the *definition* of padding, right? can anyone think of a more blatant example? legit curious because man I sure can't
Games where you have to play the whole thing again to actually get an ending?
The random encounter rate in Breath of Fire IV?
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Classtoise
First name: June
Pronouns: she/her/it/its

Post by Classtoise »

Considering some of the absolute trash he's played in the past, I think raocow is being a little unfair to an otherwise risk-free Mario 3 romhack.

Like his rant about "does he know why people play games" is kind of especially out considering we all had to sit through what felt like 50 episodes of ASMBXT """postgame""" introducing us to characters we'd never see played ever again.

Or literally the entire Distorted Travesty series

:bi_pride: :trans_pride: