(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Ashan »

BurntTenda wrote: 5 years ago So I'm guessing that NSMBU Deluxe doesn't have Blue and Yellow Toads, but just one toad then?
There actually is blue Toad, but he's a skin for Yellow toad. When you're selecting yellow Toad on the character selector, you can hold L to make him blue. But you can't have 2 people playing as each Toad, it's just an option for the single person who plays as Toad.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

hod - indie action/adventure/explory/metroidvania type thingy? something like that. uhh anyways so far it's pretty cool, i love the aesthetic & how the puzzle solving alters the world a lot of the time, good fun so far even if the combat feels kinda shakey
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Been going through Spyro 2 Reignited and gave NSMBU Deluxe a shot. Don't mind Wii U ports, but I'd rather see 3D World make it over since that's sort of the great one.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Recently started a new game+ of Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana while waiting the last few days before Kindred Spirits: Full Chorus releases. Infinity mode is rather absurd. I'm playing on nightmare difficulty but since this is a new game+ I kept my armor and levels/skills from the end of the game and yet enemies still deal enormous amounts of damage despite Adol being level 92 or 93. I know infinity mode makes enemies more difficult and I'm on the second hardest difficulty but this seems a bit absurd for a character near the max level and wearing the best armor he can obtain. The first enemy you encounter in the game hits for around 600 damage when Adol has around 4300ish hp at that level. I kinda dread seeing how nasty the end game boss is going to be because that thing is already above the max obtainable level anyways. (It was level 112 or 113 iirc while the enemies at the beginning of the game are like 1-3.)
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I ended up 5-starring NSMBU Deluxe last night, which I hadn't done before in the original release of the game.
It was honestly kinda easy and anticlimactic. I don't know if I'm just good at the game or what, but I remember back when NSMBWii came out, I 100%ed that game and I recall having at least something of a challenge in some post-game levels and with getting some of the star coins. But with this game, I had to look up the location of I think 1 star coin (which was hidden behind an invisible block in the middle of nowhere) and just which levels a few secret exits were (and also the location of another secret exit in one level, which was incidentally the same level as that coin I couldn't find).
As for actual execution, I really didn't have trouble with any level in the game. Even the final-final level of the game isn't a challenge at all, and it seems like they didn't even try to make it one. I've never heard anyone mention before about this game being really easy, but also I've never really heard anyone mention anything about this game at all, cause it's not like it really broke new ground or anything.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I kind of think NSMB U and NSMB2 are both inferior to their predecessors. The U game remixes a lot of stuff that Wii did, and I think that Wii one did better while NSMB2 was just more about coins in a series where collecting coins isn't even that big of a deal. Level design was also just there.

Speaking of sequels that are inferior, while I enjoyed the presentation more, I have to say that Spyro 2 was a little on the weak side compared to the original. It's not bad or anything, but the game kind of felt disjointed with only a couple of challenging parts in total. Not a fan of swimming in that one, but at least they got most of the stuff out of the way early. First one would be like an A- to this one being a straight up average C. Hope the third one's better, but that'll be for a bit later on down the road this month.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Just played and beat Iconoclasts, on the Switch. Good game, but it does have some notable flaws. I am still trying to find the last item for 100%, and that not including the secret bosses I have to find. Glad I didn't pay full price for it.

Once that is done, next up is Golf Story (was also on sale). I've heard good things about this one, I hope it lives up to what I heard.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
CrispyMWHC
Arrangements in fulminating vective
Pronouns: he/him/his
http://crispymwhc.talkhaus.com/

Post by CrispyMWHC »

Been playing Smash and KH Union X for shits and currently fighting my way through World 7 of ASMBXT.

Think I'm gonna jump on Zero Ranger next.
raocow wrote: 3 years ago oh SHIT

THE PROCEDURES
raocow wrote: 3 years ago I can't believe my mystical wizard friend told me to touch grass.
https://www.youtube.com/user/CrispyMWHC -- I play the games for the internet.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Yeah, I can tell the developers didn't have time to test the camera for one particular side character in Spyro 3 at all. It randomly switches to a top-down and bottom-up view when you approach a cave, and there are totally enemies or hazards in the way in spots here. If it wasn't rushed out the door, I'd be having a blast with this one. As it is, that camera issue and the odd controls on vehicles are bringing down what would be a solid game in a big way.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Beat Spyro 3 last night. It was a mix of being good at times and just plain not good in others. Overall, I had a lot of fun with the trilogy, but unlike Crash, this is one series that started at its peak and went on a small downward Spyro into being average at best as it went along.
Crow

Post by Crow »

Replaying Recourse, a 3D puzzle game thing-y
They basically remade the entire game and added shinier graphics + a lot of new puzzle elements and it's kind of like playing a different game to some extent, but at the same time some of the same puzzles and elements are still here so it's still the same game but it's like, a really bizarre experience now
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Well, raocow's run has me playing through Rayman Origins again. This is the first time I've tried a solo deal though, and I've got to say, you have to be a lot more careful when you don't have that extra player to bring you back. But going for the 350 Lums is still the same since you need those extra hearts. In fact, it's easier since an extra heart would go to any player that doesn't have one first. Here, it's all on you.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Been playing the Bowser's Inside Story remake every once in a while since it came out.

It seems like one of the writers of this game really liked the term "KO" because they use it so much, including as a verb which is weird.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Finally got through Rock Maiden FC. That was an enjoyable experience.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Finished off Bowser's Inside Story. I forgot how good the final boss music was!
I don't think I'm gonna even look into Bowser Jr's Journey cause it looked to be the same as Bowser's Minions from the Superstar Saga remake, and I don't think I even finished that cause it was kinda boring.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Final Fantasy 9 is beaten.

My thoughts:
Besides the battles being slow and otherwise sometimes causing my characters to die by putting in a command 15 seconds ago only to find out the enemy used a thing that would cause me to die if I attacked, this game didn't have too many problems. Story was good, Characters were varied with some cutes, learning skills was fairly obvious. Some status effects weren't really explained and abilities were at times too expensive to really be usable. Quina is a lovable doof, Steiner is a doof. :P
Had an overall enjoyable time. As such, here's my rankings (ordered numerically within rankings):
5/5: 6, 9
4/5: 5, X
3/5: 1, 2
2/5: 7, 8
1/5: 3, 4
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Hooked up the SNES Classic thing to see if it works. Looks like it does. Always would go for official emulation over the other methods if possible, and it's part of the reason I've been putting off SMW and Yoshi's Island for so long. Guess I could try to hook it to the capture card this weekend and see if that goes better than my attempts at getting the N64 and card to work together for me yesterday.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Before I moved out of my parents place, I had a CRT tv in my room that I pulled out of a back alley, got some good mileage out of it for a few years (still have it too).

When I got the SNES Classic, I didn't have much choice but to find a way to use the CRT, since my dad was being arbitrary and woudn't let me use their HD TV. So I bought an adapter that let's you plug in your HD cable on one end, and AV cables to the other.

It, kinda worked. It would often have trouble starting up at all, either showing solid blue or green, or multicolored snow (weird). Otherwise, it played fine (and I laugh at the available CRT option).
But the strangest thing that was a common occurrence was when starting a game from the main menu. The SNES would crash at that button press. And it wouldn't crash if I used an alternate button to start (or the replay feature). Sometimes. It was very specific about it.

Not an issue anymore, since I moved out and my parents were nice enough to buy me an HD TV with airmiles. Though I haven't plugged it in there yet since I still had unfinished business with the Wii U, and now the Switch.
I'm just worried if I damaged the SNES Classic with that converter. Everytime it crashed (even during normal gameplay), it was always at a specific button press.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years agomy dad was being arbitrary and woudn't let me use their HD TV.
You're gonna give the TV a virus, son
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Yeah. Capture card works fine with the SNES Classic. Looks like I have a few games I can use official emulation on should I choose to. Really, it's just Yoshi's Island and SMRPG, but that's at least neat to know that it can work now. Just have to find the right settings on the card to get decent quality and proper picture size is all.

Also slowly finishing up my Rayman Origins run. On the second tour of the water world now.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 5 years agoAnd as for PC games... well, looks like I may have to make another backlog attack soon...
Hello 2019! Been a while since we spoke. Last we left off, I'd finished Return of the Obra Dinn and gotten myself a PS4. I'm still regularly playing Warframe, which I won't mention here until I do the next bunch of key things, but that's been pacing me somewhat, and I've been playing Super Smash Bros Ultimate intermittently, and Puyo Puyo Tetris as and when. Additionally, I've been playing a series of microgames made for an art game project called Meditations, which is extremely hit-and-miss. They're 1-to-5 minutes long and are sometimes just toys, not even games per se, and other times they're surprisingly nice. Others have actively left me annoyed, but that's how hit and miss they are. Anyway, onto the list of games I've played so far this year!

RiME! I received this as a gift from a friend, who wanted me to see if it was any good. It's a colourful, Ico/Shadow of the Colossus looking game where you play a small boy wandering around an island and... solving light and shadow puzzles, clambering up walls Assassin's Creed style, and pushing boxes around. It also has perspective puzzles, though these are far and few between. If you like artsy games, you may enjoy it. I thought I would. I did not. This game is... insufferably pretentious. I say that as a fan of Team Ico games, a fan of Nier: Automata and The Witness ffs. RiME is neither big nor clever. It's being sold for £30 right now (thankfully my friend bought it at a huge discount) and clocks in at a measly 5 hours with little actual gameplay, and a condescending and vague story. Spoilers ahead: The Chapter titles are

Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression and Acceptance

and the whole story is about

a dad mourning his son who drowned at sea

, or in other words,

you were dead all along and the whole story is a metaphorical purgatory

. Thoroughly unsatisfying. Peak moment: swimming in an ocean while an angry bird pursues you. Unsafe on the surface, and unsafe below. A brief scene of genuine tension, otherwise lacking. It does have a few cute setpieces, including a cute fox and a robot/golem like entity, but the payoff for them is cheap heartstring-grabbing pablum. I will admit it's been over a month since I played it, and every time I think back to it my opinion sours more. When I first finished it, I was uncertain, and it was seeing the aforementioned chapter titles and this full-spoilers article that absolutely cemented my opinion that I'd wasted my time. Very disappointing. Could have been so much better, instead it just left me bitter.

Horizon: Zero Dawn! Or HorZeD as I took to calling it, as it turned into a lot of horsing around on robot cows/deer/rams. Despite being made by Guerrilla Games, the Killzone developers and exclusive Sony partners, this is for all intents The Ubisoft Game. You know the one - big wide open sandbox, an epic story, towers to climb, mysteries to solve, places to clamber up, a map full of icons to collect and history to unveil. And yet I genuinely think it's done it better than any Ubisoft Game I've played to date, any Assassin's Creed from the first to the fourth, and has more character and charm than most of them put together. It's not a particularly challenging game, but fighting and hunting the mechanical animals that roam the post-apocalyptic verdant tribal society world of HZD is always fun and engaging. Great combat, simple but satisfying stealth (good thing that all these red plants exist for our flame-haired protagonist to crouch in!), and a genuinely engaging story to learn about. Sure, Aloy is unrealistically heroic and well-adjusted for a girl raised by one man in the wilderness, an exile from what would've been her tribal society, but she's still a damn fun and fairly original hero to play as. Even the subtitle of the game and the robot dinosaurs are well justified in the story. Still not sure why it's called "Horizon" though. If you own a PS4 and you even remotely enjoy third person action adventure romps like Assassin's Creed, Uncharted or even Zelda - In fact, it's uncannily similar to Breath of the Wild in many ways! - then this is an absolute must-buy, must-play. Strong recommendation.

Kingdom Hearts III! I waited the better part of a decade for this. I'm one of those lore-digging aficionados. I turned 30 last year, and yet here I am, writing about my experiences of Anime Boy Sora and his friends Donald and Goofy as they go on a quest to uh... Obtain a nonspecific and vague power that Sora had and lost in the previous interquel title, Dream Drop Distance. Oh boy. My sympathies go out to anyone who didn't play every single Kingdom Hearts title up to this point and watch all the recaps - even the ones for the bloody mobile/browser game, Kingdom Hearts X/UX. The Disney Worlds are fantastic, beautifully realised and fun to explore, even in the ones which are shot-for-shot retellings of their corresponding film where Sora just sort of exists on the periphery, instead of being involved in a new story set afterwards. The trailers showed off snippets of every single world, so I'll just say them here - Monsters Inc and Toy Story's worlds were my favourites, being original stories and environments extending on their existing worlds. Frozen was probably the weakest. Pirates of the Caribbean was interesting but could have had a longer main story to justify its open world design, same as Big Hero 6. Combat is floaty but fun, and Situation Commands are mostly great except attraction flows, which neither attract nor flow - they're way overpowered. Challenge is very low, and I may come back to this in a year to play it at Lv1 on Proud. It does satisfactorily wrap up the story and many loose plot threads, though not quite as well or as elegantly as it could've. It's fundamentally a good game, and scratched a decades-long itch, but it's not a great game. It's ultimately a glorified PS2 game and I'm happy with that. More elaborate thoughts will have to wait. Oh, it's a little on the short side though - I beat it at 40 hours on the nose at a meagre Level 39, compared to prior games which typically took 10 levels and 10 hours longer. I can only recommend this to a fan of the series or someone who's already played the collections of the titles - if you're looking to get into the series, buy Kingdom Hearts: The Story So Far before considering this. Or maybe wait for the hypothetical bundle of The Dark Seeker Saga containing all 12 games.

Semblance! Cute little indie platformer about deforming the very platforms themselves by dashing into them, and being a squishy blob fighting back some sort of crystalline infestation that is bothering your squishy land. Slingshotting and clever deformation. About four hours long. Simple and sweet. Buy it cheap and have a little fun. I think it may have been attempting to tell a story at one point with the cave paintings? Regardless, it's cute and not too taxing. It's no Stephen's Sausage Roll, but not everything can be that good! (Have I mentioned that Stephen's Sausage Roll is the best puzzle game of all time, alongside The Witness? I feel like I don't mention this enough.)

With that, I'm actually not sure where to next - I still have a fairly large library of games to get through. I'll pop them under a cut if anyone feels like suggesting something.
SWITCH
  • Lumo
  • Octopath Traveller
  • Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition
WII U
  • Bayonetta 2
PS4
  • Wipeout Omega Collection
  • Darksiders III
PS3
  • Haze
  • Heavenly Sword
  • El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron
  • Infamous
  • Demon's Souls (Return to and Actually Finish)
Xbox 360
  • Gears of War Trilogy
  • Final Fantasy XIII
  • NieR
  • Halo: Reach
PC
  • Many minor indie games
  • Subnautica
  • The Witcher III
  • Rain World
  • Watch_Dogs 2
  • Mad Max
  • I'll take any suggestions honestly
Last edited by BobisOnlyBob 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Crow

Post by Crow »

Yeah RIME is not very good, even worse replaying it to get the achiecements lol
I know Semblance as the game responsible for the orb meme in the last GDQ mostly

Recently - Chaos;Child, another VN from the makers of Steins;Gate. Has some of the same pacing problems as that one but the story gets interesting a lot quicker, though there are also some kind of gross/gory moments (especially the very first scene) but overall I'm enjoying it so far, just feels a bit slow
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

I saw some of the Chaos;Child anime, and a recap of Chaos;Head that was released as an "episode zero" for Child. It was intruiging, but didn't really hook me and dropped it after six or so episodes. I've watched all of Steins;Gate and Robotics;Notes and none of them have quite won me over - I wonder if the VNs would be better for me. Speaking of VNs...

Subsurface Circular! A text adventure game about robot laborers on a robot-exclusive subway, and the investigative work you perform as one of these automata from the comfort of your seat, chatting to other Teks and raising discussion points. Classic keyword-based system, where concepts and talking points replace the adventure game inventory. Some slightly stilted puzzles exist amongst the more general conversational ones, although they tend to be either brute-forcible or have an optional guidance mode to help. About two hours long with a narrative that's short, sweet and satisfying. Had one particular part, a reference to a previous game of the same creator, that had me utterly beaming - a stealth sequel! How charming. The 3d backdrop visuals are also quite nice, and the machines surprisingly expressive given their lack of facial features. Worth a try if you like short form sci-fi. Emphasis on the short, though.
Last edited by BobisOnlyBob 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Decided to crack into Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ on the Switch. I haven't played Isaac since before any of the DLC was out, so there's a ton of new content I'm not familiar with. I'm playing pretty casually, I don't want to relive the anxiety of trying to get all the achievements like last time I was playing, cause Edmund McMillen makes people pull off some pretty insane stuff to do that.

Also, hoo boy the Switch does not like some of the effects in this game. Butt bombs and this new bio hazard item both do some kind of screen effect that just destroys the framerate and slows the game down for as long as they're onscreen.
Crow

Post by Crow »

The anime of Steins;Gate is better than the VN tbh, but it still takes until about the halfway point to get really good