(shouting)

Mega Man - We're Here Forever!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Re: Mega Man ZX - There Can Be Only One

Post by Ashan »

freshtalk wrote: 5 years ago Be sure to pick a boy named Grey next time just for tiny continuity's sake. It's a small thing ultimately.

ZX is great, and it along with Star Force might have been one of my big gates into stuff like fanfiction and making OCs back then.
It's interesting how much overlap the ZX games have with Star Force. I think I mentioned this earlier in the thread when ZX started, but they were doing 2 Mega Man series at the same time with very similar concepts of the Mega Man being a regular kid (I actually don't know how old Aile/boy Aile [Maile?] are supposed to be) that merges with some other entity that makes them into a superhero.
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Megaman Zed is the story of a metal swordman with sentience that befriends a human girl and eventually a romantic relationship is almost implied. They live with eachother in a place that used to be safe, but now has been invaded by enemies, so they have to stay hidden. The human girl never seems afraid of Zed.

PS: Sorry if any of that is spoilers.
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Paragraph wrote: 5 years ago I agree with your assessment that the level design just isn't all there, raocow. Most of the areas are just corridors with some flavor of enemy in the way, sometimes there's stage hazards, but never anything really special. The Zero series is way better at having varied, interesting levels with challenging and inventive enemy placement, and that's why I prefer it.
I've honestly felt this way about every X game from 4 onwards as well as every zero game, the more combat-oriented games just don't seem to be able to have decent platforming
X6 is like the notable exception, except that one had crappy platforming instead of fun platforming
to say i'm looking forward to finally getting to the new classic series games is an understatement
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

What disappoints me the most about ZX is how utterly regressive the plot is. The Zero series was very well-crafted in that regard, even as far as each individual boss having interesting motivations and personality.

And now we're back to vague anime spiels about EVOLUTION!! and that's just meaningless, generic garbage.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

A few of the shots in those cutscenes were straight out of Evangelion, which is maybe telling in regards to other aspects of the plot
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Shard1697

Post by Shard1697 »

Stink Terios wrote: 5 years ago What disappoints me the most about ZX is how utterly regressive the plot is. The Zero series was very well-crafted in that regard, even as far as each individual boss having interesting motivations and personality.

And now we're back to vague anime spiels about EVOLUTION!! and that's just meaningless, generic garbage.
also we're back to "mavericks" just meaning "bad violent robots" after all the development of that term and what it actually means to kill rebelling intelligent robots in the zero series
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Stink Terios wrote: 5 years ago What disappoints me the most about ZX is how utterly regressive the plot is. The Zero series was very well-crafted in that regard, even as far as each individual boss having interesting motivations and personality.

That evolution stuff has been in the games as far back as Zero 2. Go back and count how many times the phrase "the new world" popped up in those or those that just talked about Elpizo & Weil's glorious plans. They were still pawns even if they had personalities previously. It's always been the same thing with the bots being brainwashed or thinking they were in the right, same as always.
Zambo Ace

Post by Zambo Ace »

I think that's a pretty uncharitable take.

The plot in Zero games was largely about fighting against an oppressive government that routinely killed people to maintain power.
The plot in ZX is about fighting against an oppressive corporation that routinely kills people to acquire power.

Aside from plot details like the world of ZX having solved the energy crisis and robo-racism, the biggest difference between the two is largely in presentation. In the Zero games people talked about how the citizens were complacent in Neo Arcadia, but you never actually meet any (barring some refugees in Z4). In ZX, you actually spend time walking around an inhabited city and speaking with people. Several of them tell you how safe the Bad Snake Man has made the city. A little kid tells you how his mom is pressuring him to grow up to become a suit in the local Villainous Evil Company.

It might be generic, but it ain't any more meaningless than Zero was. The fact that Serpent couches his efforts to seize power as him "evolving" from a powerless dude to a ruling "Megaman" doesn't change that. Dude wants to be in charge, like Weil and Copy X before him.
Chirei

Re: Mega Man ZX Advent - The Last Mega Man

Post by Chirei »

It's this game!

I don't know what is up with the sound, but maybe try to look for a fix? The entire game is basically voice acted so there's going to be a lot of scratchiness at this rate.

With the Pause Menu now telling you all of your moves for each form, i'm now out of a job. Hooray!

Grey is a Reploid, so that's why he gets "Re" for his base form. Ashe is a human, so she gets "Hu". It's also why he has his "scarf" which are his plugs always hanging out and why does no one question this
Super Llama
Love is stored in the robot

Post by Super Llama »

I got some real bad news.

Grey's English voice actor was in X7. He was X's voice actor, but also the voice actor for a certain...OTHER reploid.

Also, one important thing you miss in Ashe's storyline at this point is her insatiable quest for booty.

Reverning

Post by Reverning »

Grey's a good boi.
freshtalk

Post by freshtalk »

Ashan wrote: 5 years ago It's interesting how much overlap the ZX games have with Star Force. I think I mentioned this earlier in the thread when ZX started, but they were doing 2 Mega Man series at the same time with very similar concepts of the Mega Man being a regular kid (I actually don't know how old Aile/boy Aile [Maile?] are supposed to be) that merges with some other entity that makes them into a superhero.
I like them both a lot, and I'm sure the rehular person gaining superpowers is a reason why lotta people at a specific age latch onto them.
It is pretty amusing and also cool how both Nintendo DS Mega Man games just did their own take on Kamen Rider.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I haven't started playing Advent yet so I probably won't have much to say for this playthrough, but regarding the voiceovers:

The Japanese version of the first ZX did have voice acting alongside the text, but the North American version (I don't know about the other versions) took out the voice acting because it might be confusing to have Japanese voiceovers during English text boxes. English voiceovers weren't prepared for this game. Now with ZX Advent we do have English dub. And I'm just expecting it to be jarring when the first game had Japanese voices and the second game has English voices, particularly for shared characters, with different voice actors of course.

X games did that at times as well, I remember X6/X7 doing that, but those two had quite contrasting presentations so you can treat them as completely different things, whereas Advent does feel like a direct sequel.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Oh it is a shame to miss out on those Ashe scenes especially as they'd be voice-acted

Anyway this is the good game I remember
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Man, evil research labs have some incredible tunes playing on their PA systems.

Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

Oof, that crackling. As others said in the youtube comments, them snaps 'n pops are an emulation issue, but yeah the muffled, low-quality audio was definitely a thing while playing it on an actual DS. Idk what the storage was like for DS cartridges but with how much audio there is between the two characters' stories -- it's not just Grey and Ashe but other characters have a lot of different lines as well from what I remember -- I'd imagine some significant compression would be necessary to fit it all in. Though, it's always possible there may have been higher-capacity cartridges and Capcom just didn't want to pay the extra manufacturing costs...

Regardless, I remember enjoying the voicework in this game back in the day. It's not really good, but it's far from the worst I've heard and it has a goofy charm to it. That being said, this and the first ZX were my first experiences with this franchise's efforts at voice acting so maybe I'm a bit nostalgic for the novelty it had for me at the time.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

FWIW, it seems melonDS emulates the audio fine? (though I don't have a cartridge to test on a real ds)

worse case, you can switch emulators

EDIT: apparently, he fixed it, per patapon spotzone
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Ashe :(

Billy is the best MegaMan character name ever btw
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Shard1697

Post by Shard1697 »

it's a giant dogu robot!

grey's voiceacting for "What have you done to me!?" is extremely funny
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Super Llama wrote: 5 years ago Grey's English voice actor was in X7. He was X's voice actor
100% recognized this as soon as he started talking.
He sounds like Justin Roiland doing the Morty voice except not intentionally making it sound like a pathetic whiny child, it's just happening to come out like that.

Also that icon on the monitor in the database room looks to be a Star Force reference. It's the insignia on Mega Man's chest in that series, I think it's supposed to be a constellation.
(putting images in spoilers cause they're big; not actual spoilers)
Unless that's like a regular occurring symbol of whatever this group is. They look pretty similar either way, and both series were releasing games at the same time.
Shard1697

Post by Shard1697 »

Ashan wrote: 5 years ago
hey grey why the long face
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

What happened to the aspect ratio? Did the resolution get misconfigured when switching games or is it slightly different naturally and the emulator kept ZX's resolution?

Anyway, while I didn't mind the first time I played the game the audio quality is just... so jarring. It's amazing how we get MM8/X4 quality voice acting this late in the franchise.
It's even slightly worse in this game, it sounds like it was recorded out of a dumpster.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

The DS's sound chip just isn't very good, is a big part of it.
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Stink Terios wrote: 5 years agois it slightly different naturally and the emulator kept ZX's resolution?
How could 2 DS games have different aspect ratios or resolutions? They're made for the same hardware.
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

Ashan wrote: 5 years ago
Stink Terios wrote: 5 years agois it slightly different naturally and the emulator kept ZX's resolution?
How could 2 DS games have different aspect ratios or resolutions? They're made for the same hardware.
Both the SNES and PSX can have different resolutions between games, it's not too much of a stretch to think this might apply to the DS for sone god—forsaken reason.