(shouting)

Super Mario Bros. 3MIX - Tippi and Count Bleck

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Super Mario Bros. 3MIX - Tippi and Count Bleck

Post by Leet »

Last edited by Leet 5 years ago, edited 33 times in total.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Sebby19

Re: Super Mario Bros. 3MIX - sayonara sakana-sensei

Post by Sebby19 »

So the Warp Zone was removed on the right side of the 1-2 section, but what if there was a secret on the left side?

Hey rao, can you get on the ceiling and then run left, please?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Leet

Post by Leet »

I don't think there's anything there...?

Anyway yeah the star coins are worth getting for reasons.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

Nah, the warp zone was moved to being the Side-Room where the third Star Coin is and is just by itself. I mean, the Warp Zone is definitely way more iconic than water generic bonus room was there in the og!
video games
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Super Mario Bros. 3 VIP & WALL MIX - sayonara sakana-sensei

Post by Awoo »

Happy Superb Owl (control) Sunday, everyone!

yay sportsball

1-1 remakes are pretty dang overdone, that's for sure. That world map music is trying its best, so please don't be too hard on it!

At least it's not this:
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

I played this years ago and only remember some details. Between raocow and the GDQ thing I feel like I ought to play it again, I remember having a lot of fun with this.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

imagine unironically getting salty over smb1 remakes in a series tribute hack
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Leet

Post by Leet »

Grounder wrote: 5 years ago imagine unironically getting salty over smb1 remakes in a series tribute hack
imagine only being able to respond to criticism by repeating it in 4chan meme format

i'm trying to write a paragraph that explains why frontloading your game with repeat levels is boring to anyone who's played a good amount of mario hacks, but it's pointless to respond to posts like this. talk in good faith or not at all
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Leet wrote: 5 years ago
Grounder wrote: 5 years ago imagine unironically getting salty over smb1 remakes in a series tribute hack
imagine only being able to respond to criticism by repeating it in 4chan meme format

i'm trying to write a paragraph that explains why frontloading your game with repeat levels is boring to anyone who's played a good amount of mario hacks, but it's pointless to respond to posts like this. talk in good faith or not at all
what should have been done to represent mario 1 then?

the only things i can think of are bringing in the mario bros special levels or you vs boo, the latter of which would be way too intensive for the mario 3 engine
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Leet

Post by Leet »

Just make original levels styled after mario 1...?
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

1-1 remakes were beaten to death 7 minutes after the inception of romhacking. This game was released in 2014.
The entirety of Super Mario Bros. is not represented within 1-1/1-2, you can pay tribute to it in other ways, like the Bowser fight encountered later.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

you both may as well drop out until we get to

sunshine

then because this hack is not for you at all
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Oh hey. I played this hack a while back, when it was new. Impressive ASM skillz, but the level design is rather mediocre. Too many remakes of stages from other Mario games, and the original stages aren't terribly inspired, either. The Star Coins were also far, far too easy to find, at least for me.

That said, I did have fun with it, on the whole. I just couldn't help but feel like it was more of a "proof of concept", to serve as the basis for future hacks.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Leet

Post by Leet »

Grounder wrote: 5 years ago you both may as well drop out until we get to

sunshine

then because this hack is not for you at all
I've 100 percented the entire game. Surprisingly, I can criticize something and enjoy playing/watching it at the same time (as can raocow). This shouldn't be a foreign idea.
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Super Wario Bros. 3MIX - sayonara sakana-sensei

Post by Awoo »

YelseyKing wrote: 5 years ago I just couldn't help but feel like it was more of a "proof of concept", to serve as the basis for future hacks.
Maybe it would benefit from being Betterified? :catplanet:
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: Super Mario Bros. 3MIX - the second episode

Post by SAJewers »

I mean, to be fair, it is called "3Mix".
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

I'm really amused by both the episode name theme and the names raocow gives the levels in the description.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I'm doing those strictly by memory so look forward to me getting one wrong sooner or later
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

There were definitely stages in SMB3 that could be completely ignored at no cost.
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

imitation is the sincerest form of flattery but replication is the most boring

that's the issue with this game so far, i feel. i get it, this supposedly picks up later (?), but this is a phenomenally dull way to start if it does. you want to open your videogame by making the player want to play more, not make them say "oh is this just remake city? meh"

unfortunately experiencing it through "watching a series on youtube" only makes it worse
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
princezane

Post by princezane »

Blivsey wrote: imitation is the sincerest form of flattery but replication is the most boring
True and fair point.

Personally, I've seen this a few times via GDQ, Mitch, etc. and I guess I've always looked at this game as more of a documentary
"Let's walk through the evolution of the Marios from NES through Galaxy, but only using 1 engine and some clever ASM"
instead of a "romhack with obvious influences" so to speak
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

I think the ghost house actually did something interesting by mixing rooms from levels that weren't close to each other, and even having things in one room affect another.

Could have been built on more, but the root idea is pretty cool. The interesting part of it doesn't strictly require remaking rooms, granted, but if you're remaking rooms anyways for whatever reason, then it would be better to do it through connections like that instead of "look it's 1-1, now it's 1-2".
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
warpio

Re: Super Mario Bros. 3MIX - the bowser killings

Post by warpio »

It's kinda neat seeing how different the SMB1 levels feel when you actually need to explore and find the dragon coins in them. It's reminding me of how Super Mario Bros Deluxe added a mode that incentivizes seeking out all the bonus rooms in order to find all the red coins and the yoshi egg in each level. as well as the "get as many coins as possible" mode which pushes you even further to learn where all the bonus rooms and coin blocks and hidden vines are at... man I liked that game a lot I wouldn't mind seeing raocow do a playthrough of it lol.
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

yeah, Super Mario Bros. is a very dynamic experience. It's so different depending on how you chose to take on the game.
video games
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Put your hand up if you've never beaten Super Mario Bros legit without either warp zone or the A+start trick on the title screen

o/