(shouting)

Chocolate Island 6 - 1st

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Re: Chocolate Island 6 - 3rd and 2nd

Post by Ashan »

I'm surprised that Waluigi level scored as high as it did. It's very very polished and I can't point out anything it did "wrong" -- hell, it looks like it could have been ripped straight out of the first world of an official Nintendo game. But I figure the goal of the contest is to make a level that really stands out as its own thing. And I don't think anyone would remember this level if it was amongst a bunch of other levels in a real game. There are plenty of other levels even near last place that were very nice looking but just uninteresting in level design. I don't know what this one did different to stand out amongst those ones.
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Chocolate Island 6 - 3nd and 2rd

Post by Awoo »

Ashan wrote: 5 years ago I don't know what this one did different to stand out amongst those ones.
Well, it used Waluigi nyoro~n

I dounno though. I haven't read Nimono's judge's score's list('s)
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Nimono

Re: Chocolate Island 6 - 3nd and 2rd

Post by Nimono »

Awoo wrote: 5 years ago
Ashan wrote: 5 years ago I don't know what this one did different to stand out amongst those ones.
Well, it used Waluigi nyoro~n

I dounno though. I haven't read Nimono's judge's score's list('s)
It was basically carried by me and noivern loving the feel of the level nyoro~n

It genuinely had nothing to do with Waluigi for me (despite being a M A S S I V E Waluigi fanboy). I just tend to kinda like rompy levels.
Classtoise
First name: June
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by Classtoise »

Ashan wrote: 5 years ago I'm surprised that Waluigi level scored as high as it did. It's very very polished and I can't point out anything it did "wrong" -- hell, it looks like it could have been ripped straight out of the first world of an official Nintendo game. But I figure the goal of the contest is to make a level that really stands out as its own thing. And I don't think anyone would remember this level if it was amongst a bunch of other levels in a real game. There are plenty of other levels even near last place that were very nice looking but just uninteresting in level design. I don't know what this one did different to stand out amongst those ones.
It might just because my opinion but I like levels that feel like they could be "real". I feel like that's the purpose of level contests.
:bi_pride: :trans_pride:
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Points off 1st and 7th place for copying each other with the obscure PC-98 music choice
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

That seemed like a really enjoyable level. Might've been too busy at parts, but i don't know if that just my perception now since i'm kind of under the weather.
Regardless, it was fun to watch! :rao:
Attachments
this is it.jpg
this is it.jpg (62.8 KiB) Viewed 1897 times
ImageImage
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Chocolate Island 6 - 1rd

Post by Awoo »

Now Weegee is thinking with portals
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Classtoise wrote: 5 years ago
Ashan wrote: 5 years ago I'm surprised that Waluigi level scored as high as it did. It's very very polished and I can't point out anything it did "wrong" -- hell, it looks like it could have been ripped straight out of the first world of an official Nintendo game. But I figure the goal of the contest is to make a level that really stands out as its own thing. And I don't think anyone would remember this level if it was amongst a bunch of other levels in a real game. There are plenty of other levels even near last place that were very nice looking but just uninteresting in level design. I don't know what this one did different to stand out amongst those ones.
It might just because my opinion but I like levels that feel like they could be "real". I feel like that's the purpose of level contests.
Unfortunately I have identified several components of waluigi level that could not be real. I will now list them out in order. 1. waluigi doesnt exist. 2. blocks dont float. 3. the world is not two-dimensio
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Chocolate Island 6 - 1st

Post by FourteenthOrder »

Wow, that was super cool. A little busy at times, but the combination of the gravity gimmick and snake blocks was super clever!

I thiiiink FrozenQuills's level is still my favorite, but that was a fantastic note to end on.
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

DAY 14: 1st
------------------------------------

WINst - idol - neil degrasse tyson

Nimono:
Design- 38/40
Comment: A really fun, well-designed level overall! It does have some problems with timings causing you to get hit or get way too close to it for comfort, but overall, very nice! My favorite part was the...well, honestly? The whole level! I can't find a single spot I like more than others!

----------------

Creativity- 30/30
Comment: I love how creatively you used both wrapping AND gravity-changing! Even the boss used it! Gave a nice spin to the usual Boo Boss! It was quite disorienting to me, but that's solely my own problem, not your level's!

----------------

Aesthetics- 30/30
Comment: Music's a bit too loud compared to SFX for my tastes (and my stream's but that's not important), but overall, I love what you've done aesthetically. It feels like some mecha-space area, or like you're in a computer! My favorite graphic was the F A B U L O U S Kamek-Missile. ...I am left wondering, though: WHY IS EVERYTHING BUT THE KOOPAS SHY GUYS!? Even the Boo is a Shy Guy! Have they taken over space!?

----------------

Overall: 98/100
Torchkas:
Design:
What I like about this level is that you managed to introduce some mechanics rather eloquently. Everyone's familiar with the block snakes, so you don't spend time on designing around its basics. The blocks that remove the snakes are well placed and aren't unfair when they're introduced. The fact that the snakes can just suddenly go faster irks me, you could have introduced that better. The upside-down gravity switching was well done, although I had quite a difficult time with it. Because everything is flipped the physics feel a lot different, and some of the hardest sections of the level are done upside down. I feel like perhaps there should have been a bit more balance between the difficulty of the upside-down sections and the regular gravity sections. The portals were a good addition and were introduced properly. That was a nice touch to the level.
The boo boss was made extra challenging by the addition of the gravity blocks and the rocket shy guy as well.
Creativity:
The way in which you incorporated gimmicks into your theme was very well done. I like how you gradually introduced more ideas as you went on, not to overwhelm the player. The things that you did put in there were good ideas.
Aesthetics:
Aesthetically I think this level was kind of all over the place. It had a lot of visual noise which made it hard to focus on where you were landing and what was in your surroundings. I liked the palette though, and it didn't seem like any of the graphics clashed with others. You could have perhaps done a little better with using less vanilla graphics.
72/100
Wakana:
Design: 31/40

A very well thought design imo. The creativity helped you lots, and the
level was a very good fun play despite the insane difficulty, which
bringed it down a bit. I would've make the level shorter after the
midway point, I feel that right now, you made it too long after it.
Something else that would've helped here is to introduce your mechanics
in a more peaceful way. Explaination: you did it well with the snake blocks,
there isn't much stuff going on, and the player manages to figure out how
the mechanic works and how he's going to behave correctly depending on
future situations.
You didn't do well with the reverse gravity blocks and with the "portal"
teleport, instead, where the ambience around them was too crowded and the
player's attention was bringed elsewhere. You still get what x does, but
if you don't get it right away, you die. It's pretty much a "trial and
error" level: learn what x does on the fly, 80% chances you die. Restart
hoping you don't die there again.
To sum it up though, a nice level but frustrating.

Creativity: 29/30

Speechless. I've never seen so much fancyness inside a single level. Yes,
it's kinda crowdy (that's why no full score), but dam I loved how you use
each element to make trippy sections that work so neatly.
Not much more to add.

Aesthetics: 17/30

Visually, your level was busy. On a first impact it's kinda confusing, but
playing the level hopefully makes you get the hang of it. The layer 3 (I
assume the white stars?) was a bit too distracting, as well as all the
flashy stuff going on in the level.
The music choice was okay for the level theme, but too loud; it contributed
making the whole aesthetic factor too much of a mess.

OVERALL: 77/100
Noivern:
Design - 37
Creativity - 29
Aesthetics - 29
Total - 95
Comments - Oh man this entry was great. It used both gimmicks seperately and together in interesting and varied ways. Aesthetics were phenomenal. But there are a few problems that keep this level from being stellar. For starters, you changed the yoshi coin graphic in the status bar but you didn't change the regular coin graphic. Two of the red stars are placed just above a pit, but surprise they're safe to grab! Only, I didn't realize this until my second playthrough, when I savestated before taking a leap of faith. And finally while the Boo boss was interesting, the theme from the rest of the level continued playing through it when it really needed something more tense, and the wrong theme played when the level ended.
---------------

And thus ends the contest! ...Well, except for the level that got disqualified for being impossible to complete.
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

Does anybody know the name of the song used in MOTEL?
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Man that was great. The level itself and that Big Boo fight was one of the most creative I've seen in a long time. If I had one nitpick, it's that the tileset has a lot going on and it makes it really hard to distinguish what are important objects you need to interact with and what's just decorations or regular tiles. I didn't even notice the green gravity-flip panels the first time raocow interacted with one, I thought it was part of the background. And it'd probably have stood out more if not for the fact that there's the background hexagons with moving stripes that are kinda similar-looking, as well as those yellow laser-beam walls that look like they should hurt you but seem to just be solid.

But regardless, it's absolutely top-tier. Great job on it!
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

Yeah, if you without context showed me the portals, the black-with-colored-dots floor, and the hexagons, and asked me "which of these objects are solid?", I don't give myself good odds of guessing correctly.

Deserved the win anyway!