(shouting)

Mega Man - We're Here Forever!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Re: Mega Man Powered Up - A Challenging Side Story

Post by Leet »

Plutia wrote: 5 years ago for what it's worth, I think it's a good thing zelda classic is semi-obscure, as if it got immensely popular, it'd probably get shut down
Yeah, pretty much anything that gets media attention gets shut down while pretty much anything that doesn't is safe; it (and, say, smbx) being left alone is definitely good for ZC/its community/us/etc. But it's also really frustrating to see inaccurate narratives being shaped into the public consciousness. So I'd rather places like polygon just stayed away from fangames altogether, since it isn't possible to report on them safely. It's kind of a messed-up situation though.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Yeah, that's just how these challenges go sometimes. Some are two seconds long, others are freaking gauntlets. Now you get to the fun part of all this tomorrow. I don't know if you'll be able to keep doing five as you go along, but I'm rooting for you to do your best here!
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

mega man hecks
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

mega man should have never ever EVER thought about including a wall jump in his game and in this video essay i will
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Kincyr
HONK!

Post by Kincyr »

Leet wrote: 5 years ago
Plutia wrote: 5 years ago for what it's worth, I think it's a good thing zelda classic is semi-obscure, as if it got immensely popular, it'd probably get shut down
Yeah, pretty much anything that gets media attention gets shut down while pretty much anything that doesn't is safe; it (and, say, smbx) being left alone is definitely good for ZC/its community/us/etc. But it's also really frustrating to see inaccurate narratives being shaped into the public consciousness. So I'd rather places like polygon just stayed away from fangames altogether, since it isn't possible to report on them safely. It's kind of a messed-up situation though.
according to the official FAQ, ZQ has already been recognized on TechTV's The ScreenSavers and EGM magazine. so it did have media attention for a while.
plus, Nintendo has been aware of ZC for years, but ZC has already become something original, it hasn't been simply a remake of the NES LoZ for a long time, so a DMCA notice or C&D would do little to affect further development and be pretty much pointless.

heck, one likely reason why AM2R got shut down so late (aside from it turning out that there was an official remake in the works) is that history shows that fan-remakes rarely get anywhere near finished so sending a C&D early on is often unneccessary.

anyway, back to the topic of Mega Man: who knew that the key to surviving a bullet hell heck was simply to Fire Man it
Plutia
Plutia too cute

Post by Plutia »

i know for an absolute fact nintendo knows about ZC because site mods said in a discussion that at least one disgruntled banned member tried to report them to nintendo to try and eliminate ZC but it didn't work

what I'm putting down is that while ZC got a little bit of buzz, it never got enormous buzz like how AM2R did.

also I'm pretty sure ZC could in fact be legally taken down if nintendo wanted to do it, since it comes with the first quest, IE Zelda 1 itself.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Nintendo's sent DMCAs to all kinds of fangames before, the contents don't matter. It wouldn't have to contain zelda 1 for them to go after it if they wanted to, but they don't, presumably because they have plausible deniability of knowing about it (even though we can prove otherwise, as just demonstrated).
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

probably wouldn't be that hard for them to release it under a different name without the zelda assets either.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

shame the pendulums are so janky

some of the deaths are totally on rao though
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Hammers or pendulums are the worst. You have to land in the middle of them, or they'll push you off. They don't show up too much, but when those things do, they're my least favorite obstacle in this game.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Cut Man's "hah!" jump voice sample sounds exactly like the Mega Man one from Mega Man 8
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

It's been forever since I've played this game but iirc isn't there some kind of speed setting for the pendulums in the level editor like with the block generators and conveyor belts? If so, that begs the question: why introduce them moving at max speed in the challenge mode???
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Well, it is Cut Man's last challenge, so that's probably why it's so bleeping fast. So far, I think the hardest ones for each character we've seen are Mega's 7th (Octo Battery) and Cut Man's last (Pendulums) challenges. Trying to remember which ones gave me the most trouble years ago is basically coming down to just seeing it in action and going, "Yep. That was the one." both times. Ha-ha.
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

Rockythechao wrote: 5 years ago It's been forever since I've played this game but iirc isn't there some kind of speed setting for the pendulums in the level editor like with the block generators and conveyor belts? If so, that begs the question: why introduce them moving at max speed in the challenge mode???
i mean, they correctly predicted how they'd be used in user levels, so
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

the game clearly expects you think in advance rao, charging through and hoping it clicks is not gonna work well :ehh:
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Going to second Grounder's take on things here because I just watched the remaining five challenges to remember what they were. Hoping you can go in tomorrow with a fresh mind because just like today, there's a lot of puzzling platforming when Guts Man's involved.

Positioning 100% matters with Guts Man, too, as Hard Headed Hero could've been done without as much frustration with well-placed block drops. The end is the roughest part though since there's no getting around it, and your brain is going to think to jump when you crack a block. The idea is to headbutt the top right one open, crack the right bottom block on the landing and run over to the middle one. I panicked but still somehow pulled it off, so yeah, that one's definitely the worst of the five you did tonight.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

today rao waits 46 minutes

nah but seriously good job today!
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

To make that last challenge go faster, Guts Man doesn't slow down if you toss those blocks while he's still hopping. It's basically how you get past that triple stack of blocks and onto the conveyor again without having to wait for nearly a minute. Other than that, good work. A lot of these challenges just come down to thinking or planning things out for the slow ones and reacting for the super quick moments.

Either way, it's totally trial and error.
Crow

Post by Crow »

Grounder wrote: 5 years ago today rao waits 46 minutes
this is why raocow can't become a streamer
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

that's right raocow, in order to beat the saltiness, you need to have the GUTS!
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

My personal biggest problem with these challenges, respawn timer aside, is how long they all are. I'm not super into challenges, but I did a few of the MM10 and Shovel Knight ones because they're so punchy. Powered Up makes some of them almost entire levels, and with how hard they are, it gets insanely grating having to redo the by-now rote beginning parts, just to have another attempt at a finicky jump or puzzle thing at the end, where you might not even quite realize how to even do it. I absolutely understand getting frustrated by this kind of design, it's just brutal.

That aside, I think it's hilarious that the big eye thing is very reminiscent of Kaizo-style "Mario dies on the story screen because thwomps fall" setups. To me at least.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

So, I assume you never figured this out judging by the fact that you were still surprised you couldn't make blocks on the lightning generators, but I'm like 99% sure from observation that Guts Man isn't "making" block, he's pulling them out of the ground. Which is why he can't "make" them on elevator platforms, lightning generators, etc. The mechanic probably makes more sense in the main game where you're usually on normal ground and in-universe you could imagine there'd be lots of rocks under the floor you're on, but it was programmed to only require him to be standing on at least a single block of a block they consider to be "ground" to rip rocks out of the ground. So that looks pretty weird in these YouTube hack levels where you're summoning giant 4x4 blocks out of a 1x1 tile, and even less sense when you're summoning another block out of the previous block. But it seems as if the level designers wanted to push the boundaries of what could be done with the mechanics given to them by the engine, and that's what was ended up with. But there is logic to where and when you can summon blocks!
Crow

Post by Crow »

Grounder

Post by Grounder »

COBC...

Oof, what a weird outlier.
some guy on yt wrote:This is reaching kaizo levels.
This is an exaggeration, though. Maybe don't use kaizo in place of "Dark Souls of X" because it's just as clear that you have no idea what you're talking about.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage