(shouting)

Rayman Origins (please see manual for origin story)

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Rayman Origins (please see manual for origin story)

Post by Arctangent »

man it's still bugging me that they changed the fairy's design into something that's basically just checking off all the marks on the fanservice waifu list
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

yeah but i'm gay
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

Leet wrote: 5 years ago yeah but i'm gay
i mean, same but the game's art style doesn't really let me appreciate it and it's not like that sort of design couldn't be scrounged up from a million different sources

if they really felt like they needed the extra sex appeal for ... whatever reason i feel like they could've gone with something a lot more creative and with a lot more character than just hot girl in fetish wear whose face ( but not anything below the neck, of course ) looks like a pancake because the art style is extremely stylized

i can give some points for her not just becoming a lamppost with beach balls attached but even that's kinda lukewarm in this day and age
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

It's funny because it seems like every other character in this universe is some crazy composition of shapes, recognizably alive but not really human, and then she's just a human with wings and a swimsuit.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

:sparklythings:

Parama wrote: 5 years agothe requirement to kill all the enemies in a set to get any reward for it
pure Gradius!
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

The Chest levels are pretty great!

Except when you are playing multiplayer, then they are the worst things ever since the timing of the moving level parts becomes really wonky.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Oh god I've never even thought about trying to do multiplayer tricky treasures. That sounds like The Worst.
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 5 years ago Oh god I've never even thought about trying to do multiplayer tricky treasures. That sounds like The Worst.
It was The Worst, but it wasn't unbeatable with my group of 3. Superjenius/Josh Jepson got kinda destroyed by the jank though.

The main issue is that

Dash attacks used to gain instant momentum

and regular attacks to clear paths cause you knock all the other players around like pinballs.
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

the thing about those treasure levels is that

they really, really want you to play them exactly the way they want, and if you're ahead or behind their schedule, weird things happen with how the level's sequence progresses. if you're too fast it can be as much of a problem as being too slow

the sequel has a much better and more fun idea for "levels that force you to follow a script", though

convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

going slow is a dijiridoon't nyoro~n
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 5 years agoOh god I've never even thought about trying to do multiplayer tricky treasures. That sounds like The Worst.
With two players, it's definitely manageable. There are some parts where you can revive a downed partner if they mess up at one point to give yourself more than one chance at the chest in a run. It can make the difference every now and then. Just don't try running at the same spot because one of you will inevitably punch the other.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

The music levels in the next game even turned off team attacks, becuase otherwise they would be impossible in multiplayer.

It looks like these timetrails are going to force rao to get good at the game. Maybe things will be easier if he switches back to Rayman? Despite Globox being the largest playable character, I believe the hitboxes for everyone are the same. So his larger size might be throwing you off.

The Electoons first appeared in Rayman 1, and largely serve the same role here: Stuffed into cages by the baddies and have to be rescued. You'll need to rescue enough in order to combat the dark tenticles coming out of the Land of the Livid Dead, and then create bridges to the next world (before the entire Glade of Dreams falls apart at the seems. Got to tie it together somehow!)
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

If you haven't beaten this game, don't enter!

Should I mention Mr. Dark in this game? Ubisoft did show him off briefly in one of the trailers, and he is listed as one of the characters on the game's official website. The tricky part is that he doesn't ACTUALLY appear, it's simply the Magician being a fanboy of him, and is assuming his identity. It'd be weird if I go: 'Mr. Dark returns in this game!', since that would look like I'm spoiling something. But then I'm afraid if nothing is said at all, raocow will have NO idea what is going on once he reaches 'The Reveal' level, since all the context was removed from the game.

Should I say something or not?

ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

we've established that you shouldn't by now sebby
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Well, saying 'Mr. Dark is in the game!' isn't really a spoiler, that would be purposeful misdirection. I'm just asking for some folks blessing here.

ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
The Hero Hartmut
First name: Garreth

Post by The Hero Hartmut »

Is it so important to mention? Would the experience somehow be that much worse for raocow when he gets to that point, without being told that particular bit of context now? Maybe bring it up when he eventually gets there, is my own recommendation.
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

i remember that riviera lp that was pretty fun
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

yeah the time trials can be really inconsistent as to which ones are harder for those who don't really know the speed tech of the game that well
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

The Hero Hartmut wrote: 5 years ago Is it so important to mention? Would the experience somehow be that much worse for raocow when he gets to that point, without being told that particular bit of context now? Maybe bring it up when he eventually gets there, is my own recommendation.
According to sebby, yes. But you know what

it's raocow's fault for not playing rayman 1 first and/or devs fault for not introducing him earlier

so might as well just let him be confused. Or, alternatively, just

show the info from the site without much extra context

, but, you know, I can't seem to actually find that content in question.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

You're right, the only part of the official website that remains is the 'buy now' section. All other section redirect to Rayman Legends now. Welp, that put a kibosh on one part of my plan (unless I use the wayback machine, but I'm to lazy).

I guess I'll just link to the Beta64 video at the end of all this.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

Going through all the levels multiple times normally wouldn't make for a particularly exciting video, but ending each video with the time trial works really well. Seeing how everything comes together and flows so well after raocow has practiced and learned the level is a different enough experience and the type of thing we rarely get with raocow's blind LP style that it puts a nice punctuation on each of the videos. I'm really enjoying it.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Hearing raocow mention the delay between dash attacks reminded me of something. Now, this might be a Legends only tech, but I think if you dash attack into an enemy (or destructible wall), you can immediately do another dash attack before the first one even finishes, and raise your top speed while you're at it.

The Teensies: These short blue guys are the common magical folk in the Glade of Dreams. One of their main abilities is opening portals to other parts of the land. You first meet a bunch of them in the beginning of Rayman 2, but unfortunately the were cramped in tight quarters for so long, they forgot who their King (the Grand Minimus) was! And they've argued since that game. I'm not sure if they've figured it out by now...
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Globox Origins (please see manual for origin story)

Post by Awoo »

Go Frogman, Go!

Hey, raocow, you forgot to check what you unlocked last time! I'm sure a bajillion people have already told you this and you've already recorded the thing for tomorrow so you've already checked it by now but you didn't do it today so I'm super ANGERY you didn't do it and will tell you in a long winded long comment here in this thread!

Hey, bird, you're here. How's that feel?
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

I think that what's not immediately obvious is that the dash-run thing you can do isn't actually intended? Or at least the chest stages seem to not acknowledge it - if you don't do the dash run thing the level will stay fairly scripted throughout and you won't end up ahead of where the game expects you to be.

Also I think this entire level is designed to be playable without gliding, which is also kind of a trap the game gets you into because it gave you glide only two levels ago :P
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

wind continues to be rao's immortal foe

in a different way than usual this time at least
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage