(shouting)

Rayman Origins (please see manual for origin story)

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Re: Rayman Origins (please see manual for origin story)

Post by Ditocoaf »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago Seriously Tangeruse, if you're going to report me every dang tine, do us both a favor and just block my posts. It'll save everyone a lot of agony.
You know what'd actually save everyone a lot of agony? Formatting your tips like this:
alternate universe Sebby19 wrote: Welp, since you've accepted to speedtrail all the levels, here's a couple movement tips if you want them:
1)Dash attack: Attack while running to get a good burst in speed. Jumping out of a dash attack will keep your momentum into the air. And if you dash attack down a slope and jump, you'll go even faster!
2)Down slam bouncy objects to be sent farther and faster.
Nobody would report you, you'd still get to say what you want, and raocow and all other readers could choose whether they wanted a tip or not.
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

If you give raocow one of these bad boys he's gonna have the time of his life.
My first introduction to the new rayman games was the challenge app that came before Legends for the Wii U, so by the time I got the game I was already in the habit of doing fast strats.
Attachments
IT0619.jpg
IT0619.jpg (30.96 KiB) Viewed 4021 times
ImageImage
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

The reason I don't format my posts like that is because in my mind that is inherently contradictory. I'm basically going "I have something helpful I want to say!", and then immediately hide what I want to say (Unless it's an enormous text dump). It's all or nothing.
___________________________________________________________________________________

I remember the Challenge App on the Wii U. It was pretty fun! Think I even got top 10 once. I wonder if I saved that as a Miiverse post...
Anyways, watching the ghosts of the other competitors was a sight to behold. When they say Rayman Origins and Legends are momentum based games, they weren't kidding! Everyone was bunny hopping everywhere, and I eventually joined in with them. It took days to figure out all the details.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago The reason I don't format my posts like that is because in my mind that is inherently contradictory. I'm basically going "I have something helpful I want to say!", and then immediately hide what I want to say (Unless it's an enormous text dump). It's all or nothing.
That's interesting and all but it really doesn't matter because it's not your LP
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago The reason I don't format my posts like that is because in my mind that is inherently contradictory. I'm basically going "I have something helpful I want to say!", and then immediately hide what I want to say (Unless it's an enormous text dump). It's all or nothing.
So. Let me see if I get this straight. You flagrantly break the rules, in defiance of what many, many people have asked of you -- including raocow himself -- because you think it makes your posts "look bad", and yet, you act completely mystified as to why so many people are angry with you. Telling them to "stuff it", as you so eloquently put it in the WL3 thread, does not help matters. You want people to see your posts, but not everyone *wants* to have everything spelled out for them.

Why do I -- and others here -- seem to be singling you out, when other people have done the same things and worse? At least for me, it's because of your haughty "I'm above it all" attitude, particularly when you're the one who created the LP thread. Being the person to put up the thread does not mean you get to dictate raocow's every move, nor does it make you his "co-pilot", and it certainly doesn't give you a blank check to annoy everyone else on the forum.

I get it. We *all* get it. You're excited and passionate about certain projects. You're knowledgeable about these games, and just want to make the LPs go smoothly. But this isn't the way to go about it. If raocow asks for help, or there's absolutely no way he'll figure something out on his own, by all means, share your knowledge. Otherwise, it's best to hide it. Remember, raocow goes into these things blind and prefers it that way, and other people may be playing along with him, and similarly not want you holding their hands.

Now. ano0maly has made a separate post for the discussion of spoilers and what can and should be done about them, as they've been a frequent topic of discussion cluttering the various LP threads. Hopefully, we can all come to some sort of peaceful agreement on this.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

so am i wrong for liking rayman as a design? i always thought it was a cool character design, and the idea that it was initially a workaround for having a "stretchy-limb" character without having to draw out all those stretchy-limbs is clever to me
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Blivsey wrote: 5 years ago so am i wrong for liking rayman as a design? i always thought it was a cool character design, and the idea that it was initially a workaround for having a "stretchy-limb" character without having to draw out all those stretchy-limbs is clever to me
rayman is a good design raocow is just a loser who is wrong and incorrect :rao:
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

nymphs
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Paragraph wrote: 5 years agoThis game is The Best Platformer in my book because it 100% nails what I worship in my platformers: gameplay flow. In almost every level, you NEVER have to stop even for a second. Every single obstacle is time so you can just GO.
So it's like Sonic if Sonic didn't have level designers that went "we have this really fast character built around going fast, what kind of levels should we design? Maybe ones that penalize you for going fast?"
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Alice wrote: 5 years ago
Paragraph wrote: 5 years agoThis game is The Best Platformer in my book because it 100% nails what I worship in my platformers: gameplay flow. In almost every level, you NEVER have to stop even for a second. Every single obstacle is time so you can just GO.
So it's like Sonic if Sonic didn't have level designers that went "we have this really fast character built around going fast, what kind of levels should we design? Maybe ones that penalize you for going fast?"
It's pretty much this, yeah, but Rayman is also not so fast that you often have almost no way of reacting to upcoming obstacles unless you already know about them beforehand. You could theoretically do a no-stop superflow run of almost every Rayman Origins level blind, by reaction alone, and that is a phenomenal accomplishment. At least once you have understood all the movement techniques and how the basic setpieces work (waterspouts, red boils that shift level geometry, enemies you can bounce on/dash-attack through).

I actually quite like the DIMPS Sonic games (Sonic Advance, Rush, Colors on 3DS...) because they're quite good at the "never stop" thing, though that's often at the cost of being able to control them at all - you're sent through a bunch of loops and boost pads and could probably just lay down the GBA/DS for a while. Then, because of the speed, you just gotta know when to jump and/or boost forward at the end of an automatic section, or fall down to a lower path. It's not perfect. Sonic Generations is easily the best Sonic game because it allows you that kind of speed with proper forewarning and you can just go, go, go.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Blivsey wrote: 5 years ago so am i wrong for liking rayman as a design? i always thought it was a cool character design, and the idea that it was initially a workaround for having a "stretchy-limb" character without having to draw out all those stretchy-limbs is clever to me
I'm with you.

A few years ago Ubisoft gave away Rayman Origins away as part of their 30th anniversary, and i've been wanting to play it, but I don't want to bother to install uplay to just play it. Seeing this lp has been nice.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

@Yesley: It:s less 'make the posts look bad', and more 'mental hangup' I need to get over.
I apologize for the 'stuff it'. that was the height of my anger.

Just to give you a heads up, the most I plan to say in the future is: "Ohh, this character is from this past game". Is that okay? That shouldn't require spoilers (except for Rayman himself).
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago "Ohh, this character is from this past game". Is that okay?
I doubt raocow is gonna do "all the raymens" any time soon so yeh

that said you reminded me, Betilla got quite the makeover in this game.

She used to look more like a floating circus tent:
ImageImage

My theory is they basically spliced her character design with Ly the Fairy from Rayman 2/3 and then put her clothes through a shredder, because Ubisoft are too keen on those stretch-and-squash animations :sandwich:
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

This level is weirdly hard to get all the Lums on. Some of them are way tougher than others!

Same for the time trials - depending on how good you are and what you're good at, some might give you a lot more let than you'd expect (again, like today), some might be weirdly hard. It's to be expected.

Something you noticed already: you can control yourself on the loading screens. As your computer is pretty good, you don't get much time, but it's nice just to see how the physics work - how quickly you can get a running start, how run-attack-jump and so on interact.

And a qol thing: you can speed up the lum filling animation at the end of levels. Hold the Jump button, I think?
tirakai

Post by tirakai »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago @Yesley: It:s less 'make the posts look bad', and more 'mental hangup' I need to get over.
I apologize for the 'stuff it'. that was the height of my anger.

Just to give you a heads up, the most I plan to say in the future is: "Ohh, this character is from this past game". Is that okay? That shouldn't require spoilers (except for Rayman himself).
Posting about what's a reference to previous games as they show up in the LP is fine, as long as you're only talking about things we've seen and not also post about or something that references it from a future level or Legends or whatever.

Seriously, if it hasn't appeared in the LP yet, don't mention it. If you really can't judge on whether a future thing should have a spoiler bar or not or can't bear how spoilers look on your post, don't say anything about it at all.
tangy
🍊
Pronouns: any

Post by tangy »

Betilla doesn't have it the worst when it comes to clothes-shreddage though

raocow wrote:I am being shot at, and I am being advertised petrol at the same time. We must be in America.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Have you seen what happened to Betilla in the reveal trailer?

As for the lums (why does the manual insist they be pronounced looms?), they debuted in Rayman 2. The story behind them is that they are the shattered pieces of The Heart of The World, and there are 1000 of them. The next few games ran with that as well. But since after 3 levels in this game you've already collected 850 of them, it's safe to say they ignored that part.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Ditocoaf

Post by Ditocoaf »

I'd pronounce them "looms" because they're little balls of light. luminous lums Illuminate.
Ditocoaf

Post by Ditocoaf »

Luminous Lums illuminate rooms. How many lumens does a ruminating Lum illuminate if a ruminating Lum illuminates luminously?
Katazuki
wawa
Pronouns: whomst

Post by Katazuki »

One level a day? Oh boy, this is gonna be a long LP.

Who has the most?
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago Just to give you a heads up, the most I plan to say in the future is: "Ohh, this character is from this past game". Is that okay? That shouldn't require spoilers (except for Rayman himself).
That's fine. I'm also not telling you to *never* offer advice again, just think first about whether it might be perceived as spoiler-ish. I know, the spoiler tags are kinda clunky, but spoilered text is as easy to view if you want to as it is to ignore if you don't, so when in doubt... use it. Anyone who wants to see what you said, will, and those who don't... won't get angry with you.

Anyway, that's the last I'll hopefully be saying about this matter. Back to the LP discussion.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Should we tell him how many levels are in the game? I'll just be vague and say 1-a-day would equal 2 months, at this rate. Though I believe once rao reaches some of the 3-Electoon levels, and that one locked one, he'll be able to go through a few in one day.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Crow

Post by Crow »

i don't think raocow will be inclined to stick to strictly one-a-day with all the levels, or if he gets a good full exploration done in one shot
i don't know if it's explicitly a spoiler to say how many levels are in the game considering the steam page (and iirc the game box - don't have it on hand) both basically give a number but i'd say not to say anything
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

There's 246 Electoons which raocow noticed and commented on, I think that's a good measure of how much time it will take and better than "number of levels". We have seen that in some levels it's easier, in some harder to get everything including medals, and we've seen that there's levels with only three Electoons which naturally are shorter than the six-and-time-trial-and-medal ones.

It's gonna be fine either way because this game is wonderful and raocow already likes it, by the end people will clamor for more instead of saying "thank God it's finally over".
Crow

Post by Crow »

And by clamoring for more you mean screaming for raocow to play the somehow even better sequel right? :rao: