(shouting)

Yep.

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Bean
Yep.

Re: Yep. (NP: Make a Good Mega Man Level 2)

Post by Bean »

(2) Tier 1

Well, thanks to some self-inflicted tech issues, Tier 1 was a replay. I guess that's for the best since that allows me to get through the lowest-rated levels all in one place. Skipped one level here for obvious reasons if you know who made it, but I'd rather just let you all see the five stages here along with our Tier 1 boss. These start off as you expect but get somewhat competent as we go along, minus the last one for also obvious reasons. Two stages are okay-ish at least! That has to count for something... right?
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(3) The Arena

It's time to d-d-d... You get the idea. Lots of devkit bosses to fight here in a Kirby-style arena where E-Tanks aren't allowed (or maybe they are as told to me in the comments? Oops.) plus one special peacekeeping robot that's still not that much of a problem. Outside of that, we'll take a look at special pub that we'll be visiting quite a bit in this adventure before finally heading off to Tier 2 next time!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(4) Tier 2, Part One

Well, Tier 2 finally starts with a pair of stages that make mistakes on near opposite ends of the spectrum. One's too short, the other's filled with enemy spam and taking an already tricky gimmick and making it worse with a graphical change. Now that we've got this video uploaded, i guess I'll see you in July. Peace!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(5) Tier 2, Part Two

The Yggdrasil is the most well-known for all the wrong reasons level in the contest. I'd say more, but I think seeing it in motion is just the best way to show what this one's about. Yep.
Bean
Yep.

Re: Yep. (NP: Mega Man X8)

Post by Bean »

(1) Intro Stage - Noah's Park
(2) Gigabolt Man-O-War
(3) Earthrock Trilobyte

I posted the first vid right after raocow's opener since he had issues playing cutscenes on this. Now that he's gotten more than enough distance to finish this up soon, I wanted to go through and play it myself and have been posting vids the past couple of days now. Taking my own order here and just playing for fun, but I bet it'll still wind up being an 100% run because that's just how I roll. Let's do this!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(4) Gravity Antonion

There are a couple of ways of getting around certain issues in this stage. One is to get the armor capsule without having to execute a risky mid-air dash by manipulating the room enough, and the other is how to make the room with those six spiked blocks an afterthought... by not having them show up at all! Picking your own path is a good thing!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(5) Optic Sunflower

This level's all about clearing rooms with high scores or top speeds. Zero and his one weapon makes this trivial, but we're not using him. How did it go? Don't ask. The result still has me a little choked up.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(6) Avalanche Yeti

This vehicle level at least has more going on with it than Gigabolt's grand tour had going for it, but the level itself is still pretty basic. To go from Jet Stingray to this is definitely underwhelming. Boss fight's pretty fun, though, so I'll give this one credit for that.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(7) Dark Mantis

When a darkened stealth level isn't too heavy on either of those elements, you're getting a regular platforming stage with some okay ideas. I like avoiding the spotlights, the side mission to turn on the generator, and even the one near pitch black room if you don't turn on the power. Since there's a revisit in the future, I decided to play the level straight other than getting that one Rare Metal out of the way now.

And man, we're totally into the bosses I'm not good at fighting part of the game now. This dude and his attacks are fast. Yikes.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(8) Burn Rooster

Casual, huh? Anyway, this stage is one of the two ones where you need to actually be paying attention the majority of the way through. I think the camera's zoomed in a bit too much for the descent in the section with all the spikes, but whatever. It's still pretty fun. The boss fight is where things get really heated as Burn Rooster, the dude that would be the best name if he were in almost any other MMX game, can catch you off your guard with his fast attacks.

It's a tough stage, but one that's made easier if you bring in Axl and his Black Arrow move we just took got from Dark Mantis. Hey, I actually know what I'm doing with this order again!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(9) Bamboo Pandamonium

Said this in raocow's thread, but this is my favorite stage in the game. I really enjoy the back and forth you get to do with this mech. Also have forgotten how to break that floor and need to go back and do it in my own time because that's really throwing me off now. Either way, we're taking this ride all the way to the end, and that wasn't too bad overall. Only messed up once before this run happened.

Next time, I'll casually edit all these clips I have together on my computer to get a collection video going. Already uploaded the first final stage together last night and will try to have things ready by the weekend at the latest!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(10) All the Items*

That asterisk means we're going to miss one, aren't we? Well, yeah. It sort of works like that in this one. Still, I'm going to get everything and also show off a secret fight that not too many people knew about until troph-chievements became a thing. Honestly, beating you down what will become six times in one game kind of ruins the whole return deal for you, doesn't it? Eh, whatever!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(11) Jakob - Vile V

Going up? Yes. Yes, we are. Let's stop along the way and destroy everything in sight before facing the hardest version of Vile in this game. Hey, you take out wall jumps, and I'll have trouble. Not like we were doing great against him in previous fights though... Oh well. Casual run!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(12) Gateway - Refights & Totally Sigma
(13) Sigma Palace - Sigma, Lumine, & Ending

Gateway doesn't have much going for it since it's literally a dash down a long space hallway into the refight room. Going with the Icarus Armor and weakness weapons will make this one a breeze.

Sigma Palace, on the other hand, is where all the perilous platforming and tricky boss fights were put into. The game's tried to ram it into your skull all throughout that the bosses rely more on guard breaking and then getting your shots in more than anything else. If you don't do this for three of the final stage's four fights and even on some common foes, you're going to have issues. Even without that, this one's kind of tricky. Glad they gave us an actual level here instead of another boss rush because it was sorely missing in the past two vids.

All in all, X8 is a fun game that I wouldn't put in with the first, second, and fourth X games, but it fits right into that second tier with X3 as a good entry in a series that had lost its way over the last seven years. Shame this had to be the last one!
Bean
Yep.

Re: Yep. (NP: Mega Man 11)

Post by Bean »

(Intro) Opening
(1) Tundra Man

As much as I wish I could talk over this one, I still need to save my strength for actual voice work. In the meantime, I had a chance to replay this game over the weekend and had a good time with it, so much so that I recorded footage of the run. Hadn't given it a go since the week it was originally released, and that was on a different system! Now we're just going to fly through it since it's already done.

Tundra Man's my pick for the best opening stage as the level and boss combined shouldn't present players with too many problems. Things can get a little slippery on the platforming sequence near the end, but that's about it to me. Plus we get one of the best weapons in the game from him right off the bat, so why not start here?
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(2) Fuse Man

Fuse Man is another decent starter stage pick since it's one of the only levels in the game with no pits or lethal spikes. Of course, you'd probably want to be more accustomed to the Double Gear System first, so that's kind of why I bump it to the mid-game usually. Not this time though! Anyway, I think it's a fun level overall with a neat fight.

Somehow, the audio switched to Japanese for this one. I'll definitely have to look into this in the future on the refights.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(3) Bounce Man

The next couple stages are the ones I seem to struggle with the most. This one's more just trying to make the run look semi-efficient as the bouncy balls will send you flying all over the place if you don't know what you're doing. Hold the button down, you jump higher. Just let go of it, and you still bounce lightly. It's easy enough on its own, but when you throw in enemies trying to close in and take you down into pits and the like, it can get a little overwhelming. It's not Plant Man nuts, but sometimes that brain just shuts down at the worst possible moment.

The boss is deceptively difficult, too. Thing is your shots control where Bounce Man moves, so if you're not paying attention, he'll catch you on a wall rebound or when he decides to stop and drop in. His critical Speed Gear move brings back memories of Armored Armadillo from MMX as he'll go flying off the ceiling, floors, and walls like nobody's business. Whew. That was a close one.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(4) Impact Man
(5) Acid Man

Our next couple of vids are a tale of two stages. Impact Man was done at the tail end of our first playing session, and there are definitely some lapses in gameplay judgment at times on the lift sections. Those aren't easy to begin with thanks to all the projectiles being thrown your way, but the whole idea of the boss trying to ambush you throughout the level as if he was a trio of Moles is a neat idea that's executed in a good way. Got some revenge on him at the end, but this one could've gone better.

Acid Man, on the other hand, was a nice level to get back after taking a few hours off to refresh. I like how the level mixes the topside and underwater sections throughout. On the surface, the goal is to try and stop the acid-shooting adversaries from contaminating the chemicals while dropping into the deep usually involves navigating some spiky corridors and fast-moving enemies. It's one of those levels that changes pace up pretty well, and it even does the rare thing of having a shield-based boss not be all that annoying while also a little challenging.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(6) Block Man
(7) Blast Man

Block Man's considered the starting pick by a lot of players, but as was pointed out to me, it was the demo stage. Still, I wouldn't exactly go busters blazing in this one as it's easy to get ambushed by blocks or those enemies that phase in, has a pretty tricky miniboss later in the level, and the boss himself can knock your block off once he goes into his Power Gear mode. They really want you to have a hand on the Double Gear System when you go in, so for those that did play the demo, I could see them learning how to use it since it's kind of wanted in a few parts!

As for Blast Man's stage, it's more about using Speed Gear at times to overcome all the explosions going on around you. One of the silly in-game goals is to not be caught by any containers blowing up in your face, and that's easier said than done when the enemies here are good at lighting them off before you're ready! It's a pretty hectic stage where you'll have to be on the move early and often, and those kind of places just work well with me. Shame the boss is the one that gives me the most trouble out of all of them, but hey, it's not like we're doing a perfect run or anything. Thank goodness!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(8) Torch Man
(9) Gear Fortress 1 - Yellow Devil Mk. III

Here are two stages where you're going to have to be both fast and efficient with your shots. You'll have to blaze a quick trail through the fiery forests of Torch Man's stage on multiple occasions to outrun a terrible tower of flames. To show a bit of that skill that's been lacking, the goal here was to show that all three sections can be handled without having to resort to using Speed Gear. Mission successful, but maybe we should've memorized the rest of the level? Oops.

That wasn't a problem as the Wily stages kicked off, however, as this is easily the best run of the whole playthrough here. So many obstacles want you gone, and that includes some of the terrain that will drop right out from under you. One of the goals in the game is to take out every cannon, cone, and phase-shifting foe in this level, and that's kind of tough to do with the lack of solid ground in spots! Yeah, we're doing that. We're also going to show that the Yellow Devil isn't the worst thing in the entire world here. Helps that his pattern is the exact same as the original, and his new moves just make him an easier target once you learn how to dodge them. Neat!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(10) Gear Fortress 2 - Maverne
(11) Gear Fortress 3 - Refights

The second Wily stage has a few moments where you have to be quick and efficient with your shots as a giant grinder tank is chasing after Mega. The rest of the stage is just a mix of odds and ends we've seen before outside of one last new enemy that gets introduced in the skull pillar things. Have to take out their eyes and mouths before they go down, and yes, they're put right in those timed chase sequences! It's a fun level with a pretty decent boss that reminds me of one that I struggle with in MM5. Still, this one's not so bad, more so if you have Bounce Ball around.

And speaking of weakness weapons, Wily 3 is refight central. It's where the game also sort of just abruptly stops having lengthy stages and gets right to the point. Not sure if they were running low on time or didn't want to put anything major here since that's kind of a tradition. Only strikes me as odd since the Mega Man games with this setup would either be in a second castle, have more than four Wily levels, or would just pack them all into the final level. Think the game could've used an actual third level instead of what they do here, but whatever. Let's get to bashing these bots up the easy way this time around, made even easier with our Power Gear!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(12) Wily Machine #11 & Ending
(Extra) Dr. Light's Trial

Time to whoop Wily's backside into gear once again, and this time around, I mostly did a buster-only battle with him. In the second phase of the Wily Machine fight, you can shoot the gear legs down for an easier target, but that gives you less room to dodge all of his attacks if you do this. In other words, if you want to use weaknesses like Acid Barrier and Chain Blast, go for the legs first. Buster battlers should just stick to riding the missiles. Kind of glad how the final hit landed on the actual battle here. Was hoping I could time that right, and we did! I win!

After beating the game, you unlock a pretty hard challenge that consists of thirty rooms, although two of them are just refresh areas where you can get a couple of extra lives. Personally, the 4th and 13th floors were the ones that messed me up the most when going through this. Too easy to hit spikes or mistime a jump to fall into the pit. But that's why we have weapons, and that's what will let us get through this challenge in the end, and this is the end of a pretty fun playthrough. Been awhile, and it'll probably be a bit before we're back again, so hope you enjoyed it. Later!
Bean
Yep.

Re: Yep. (NP: Mega Man X4)

Post by Bean »

(1) Opening Stage - Sky Lagoon [X] / (1B) Opening Stage - Sky Lagoon [Zero]

It's only been four and a half years since I used this topic. Perfect time to bring it back up since I like keeping the other one in chrono(non)logical order.

In any case, the last time I did a fully showcased series of Mega Man X on the channel, it was 2011. In fact, that was the only year I did that. Not anymore because we're finally taking on my favorite game in the entire Mega Man franchise. What are we playing for?! Well, I just said. It's my favorite game in the entire franchise. Let me show you why and try to do it in style.

X's run is intended to be a full no-damage playthrough with text box commentary. Zero's run will still be skilled and have some no-damage stages throughout, but it's not a requirement. Just refuse to lose a life there is all. That one has my voice over the vids. Our opening stage is a pretty decent one as you get to see both characters' strengths and potential weaknesses that could come into play later. Spoiler, there aren't many weaknesses for either. Ha-ha. Hope you all enjoy the pair of playthroughs here. I know I did!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(2) Jet Stingray [X] / (2B) Magma Dragoon [Zero]

Zero's run was recorded first so that I could take notes in the head on what it'd take to pull of no-damage runs as X. After playing Stingray's stage, I knew that's exactly where I wanted to start since there are a lot of little things that you have to remember and just as many things that can go wrong as you're speeding along. I found the second section and dealing with Jet himself to be the biggest problem... but only on the bike. The actual boss fight is one of the more simple ones in the game for X. Go figure.

Meanwhile, Zero's side of the run had stage voting done for it, and they picked the dragon defect first. No surprise there, but I should've known this dude was bad from the start. After all, what's a street fighter doing up on the Sky Lagoon in the first place? Shame we can't just talk to Repliforce and smooth things over, but the part of the patsies must be played by someone in this game. Anyway, bringing a mech to the match with Magma? That's fun. Ha.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

(3) Web Spider [X] / (3B) Split Mushroom [Zero]

X gets to take on what is definitely the best choice to start with in this set. It's not the easiest stage in the world to no-damage run, and that's because it's one of the longest. Still, that leg upgrade the game practically gifts you early on is one of the best in the series. Its hover will literally carry you over a lot of problems along the way. Web Spider is a chump overall but can get a cheap shot in with his unpredictability on the nets late. Not this time though.

Zero is going to be in a level where it feels like everything wants to take a cheap shot at you going up the visually neat but ultimately kind of boring staircase sections. Funnily enough though, it's not the staircases but our one and only ride up where we show his run isn't going to be a full no-damage playthrough like X's. Look, trying to do that with him would give me more of a splitting headache than our fungi fiend here tries to do, all right? Yeesh.