(shouting)

HOLLOW KNIGHT - Blessings

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Sebby19

Re: HOLLOW KNIGHT - Blessings

Post by Sebby19 »

Oof, Pure Vessel shut you down for that many hours. Dang, and I though Grimm gave you more trouble. It didn't seem like Pure Vessel took you that long to 'learn'.

And according to what I read above, the true final boss doesn't gets it's own section (with a 'save' point)? Yeesh.

That fluke charm looks nasty, haha. I had assumed you would get a bunch of small flying homing projectiles. Ewwww.

Are you going to explore that one area people suggested you explore?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I also want to add that depending on the game, some boss rushes aren't for quick wins. The boss rush for Kid Icarus Uprising (Hard mode) took me a few months. Even freaking Kirby's Adventure (3D classic version, specifically) boss rush took a while longer than I would have liked.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Joseph Staleknight
ABCDs in Katamari Damacy when

Post by Joseph Staleknight »

Well, at least we did end on a good note beating the final final boss, simulacrum or not.

Also, for those who wish to see the Godmaster endings (spoilers, obviously):
Normal ending: EMBRACE THE VOID

Alternate ending: DELICATE FLOWER

(Courtesy of CreatorMind)

Either way, it looks like Hornet's gonna have a long fight ahead of her.
So, overall, Hollow Knight was a great game that just suffered from one idea gone wrong. Perhaps if the devs tweaked the difficulty a little more, PoH would have been a lot more passable. Other than that, though, I really enjoyed both watching this LP and playing the game myself. Hopefully, when Hornet's campaign becomes available raocow might set aside some time to play through that as well.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Wait, you're ending it here? Lame way to go. Some of the other peeps will be upset you didn't find that one extra area in the sewers. I think it would have been a good way to wash out the sour taste out.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
freshtalk

Post by freshtalk »

I fail to see how some corner of the sewers would have been vital to the finale.

Anyhow raocow, your efforts to beat this rush was admirable and I am still really glad for this playthrough overall. LPing it the way you do probay meant you couldn't enjoy it quite as much as fully possible, but I'm still happy you managed to have a lot of fun with it.

Also I'm pretty sure taking off Mark of Pride just made things harder for you. It lets you hit farther, not faster!
First name: Violet
Pronouns: she/her

Post by 10204307 »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago Wait, you're ending it here? Lame way to go. Some of the other peeps will be upset you didn't find that one extra area in the sewers. I think it would have been a good way to wash out the sour taste out.
I don't think there's anything raocow missed in the sewers. There was an area in the Resting Grounds called the Shrine of Believers that contains a bunch of message from kickstarter backers, but that's not really important to the finale at all.

Also, the main difference between Absolute Radiance and normal Radiance is that it's a lot faster than the regular version, and most of its attacks are improved. For example, when it does its "ring of swords" attack, it sends out two rings instead of one. The glowing orbs that it shoots are also a lot faster and have better homing.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

Glad you're ending it here. Excellent way to go. Based on the comments I've read, the vast majority of peeps are perfectly content with and grateful for the extent to which you've played this game. I think moving on to a new game is a good way to wash the sour taste out.
warpio

Post by warpio »

for what it's worth I thought the ending to this LP was pretty good. It had to stop somewhere, otherwise the only other option is to spend 100+ more hours grinding the game until you've beaten the final pantheon on all bindings and defeated all Radiant bosses in the basement. And despite Absolute Radiance just being basically a refight with strength+speed tweaked higher and a different 3rd phase where the Void siblings aren't helping you out, it still served its purpose really well as a fitting extremely hard boss fight for anyone that made it passed Pure Vessel in the final pantheon. Because damn this thing actually makes Pure Vessel look easy. What better way to end an LP than with a blind boss battle like that?

My file was near 100 hours played by the time I defeated Radiance in the basement after getting to him 1 time. Other than that, I also defeated Grey Prince Zote in Dirtmouth 11 times, and beat all the Ascended bosses except for Absolute Radiance and beat about 90% of the bottom row of Radiant bosses in the basement. as well as doing the dumb time consuming mushroom quest and the extra delicate flower quests and path of pain etc. I figured this was a good place to stop and not let sunk cost fallacy drive me further just for the sake of a new ending that I could easily watch on youtube.

I dunno I respect this Godmaster DLC a lot I mean it's free and really all truly worthwhile new content can be accessed by getting up to Flying Nosk in the final pantheon, which is still a pretty tough challenge but not near as time consuming as what beating the final pantheon takes. The only thing that actually beating the final pantheon unlocks at the end is a tweaked boss and a new ending cutscene. It's basically just saying "hey here's a bunch of hard stuff you can do it'll always be here in case you want more of this game" more than anything, which is a great way to do extra hard post-game content imo.
tirakai

Post by tirakai »

warpio wrote: 5 years ago It's basically just saying "hey here's a bunch of hard stuff you can do it'll always be here in case you want more of this game" more than anything, which is a great way to do extra hard post-game content imo.
I'd agree with this if they hadn't locked the new ending behind it. If it was a purely optional bonus challenge and the 4th Pantheon had the new ending fair enough, but it's required if you want to see what essentially amounts to the TRUE END (especially if the speculation ends up true and the Hornet DLC's story continues on from this ending).

Ultimately it's a very underwhelming final boss to a challenge that was already a huge waste of time. It's built up so much, requires you fighting every other boss to get there, and even has the final ending locked behind it, but when you eventually get to it after weeks of attempting it ends up just being Radiance except faster and with more health.
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

Yeah, I wish the LP had happened before either DLC, honestly. Coheisiveness is undervalued. Stapling more things onto a finished thing isn't always a positive.

Probably the best best way for Hollow Knight to be experienced is to play it without the DLC existing, get that singular-and-complete experience, then patch the DLC in after you've finished the game if you want dessert. That way, if you don't want dessert, you don't have that unsatisfying "things left on the plate" feeling because you carefully stepped around the big red "DLC Here" door while playing the main game.
bbbrrr_it_cold
Always ambivalent, always lurking...
First name: Quagsire

Post by bbbrrr_it_cold »

OP is finally updated. Sorry it took so long...let's just say that week+ hospital stays suck.

I'll probably comment more when I've actually watched everything.
EDIT: Actually, I don't have much to say that hasn't been said. Good Game, raocow.
Last edited by bbbrrr_it_cold 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
I have a twitch (where I try to stream most Tuesday and Friday nights): (Don't watch it)
I have a youtube (currently only with stream highlights): (Don't watch it)
I have a twitter (where I say just about nothing): (Don't follow it)
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

I think it is fitting that raocow fell into despair and ended his run as soon as Melody left his side.

I was holding out hope that Cornifer would be the secret final boss waiting at the end of the Hallownest Pantheon, but I guess it is just as well that even after defeating gods, he remains out of reach as a potential foe.

Ditocoaf wrote: 5 years ago Yeah, I wish the LP had happened before either DLC, honestly. Coheisiveness is undervalued. Stapling more things onto a finished thing isn't always a positive.

Probably the best best way for Hollow Knight to be experienced is to play it without the DLC existing, get that singular-and-complete experience, then patch the DLC in after you've finished the game if you want dessert. That way, if you don't want dessert, you don't have that unsatisfying "things left on the plate" feeling because you carefully stepped around the big red "DLC Here" door while playing the main game.
I think this is a good point. It's clear that the DLC adds some value for some people who enjoy the game, but I think it also definitely detracted from the cohesive experience that had been so carefully crafted over most of the game, and that can be a net negative for some. In this case it felt particularly egregious because I think the game's strongest points are in the world-building and atmosphere the game creates, where having a complete, cohesive experience is especially important. With regards to the Godhome stuff, maybe implementing it as a series of boss rushes available from the start menu rather than hidden within the game world itself would have worked to still offer the content to those who want the added challenge while also preserving the original game.

It was still fun to see raocow learning the intricacies of combat and having fun chipping away at the pantheons for a while as its own thing, though.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I did some reading and apparently there is a single NPC raocow never met. It's a non-hostile, sentient Fluke.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

Oh yeah, damn... raocow would have gotten a kick out of her.
Plutia
Plutia too cute

Post by Plutia »

]
In case anyone wants to see what a clear run of the Pantheon of Hollownest looks like that isn't by someone ludriculously good at the game.
Reverning

Post by Reverning »

I'm sorry, I promised this last night, but I was super busy. There's actually a very good chunk of lore we still need to cover, and Absolute Radiance, and the endings, even if you watched them, warrant an explanation. The fight does end differently when you fight her in Pantheon of Hallownest, and it is now largely considered the game's true ending.

The Godseeker
Godseeker wrote:Blasphemy! Rank blasphemy!

Thou crawler! Thou cringer! Thou smallest of the small!

By what right dost thou trespass here, in this home of the Gods? Shrivel away and begone! Begone!
Pictured above is the Godseeker after you free them from their coffin in the Junk Pit, unconscious, but not dead. The Godseeker came from a foreign land (The Land of Storms), after they, in their own words, were forsaken by the ones they worshipped.

(The Land of Storms is a secret area unlocked after you complete every Pantheon Binding.)
A secret dream you can only randomly see when you enter Godhome also adds a bit more context.
Seeking any "god" to deliver them from the silence, they took the Godtuner (in code: the Godfinder) and wandered, finding Hallownest and attuning themselves to the "gods" within. By the time you stumble upon them, they've already finished this part of the task, which is why they give you the tuner freely.
Awake Godseeker wrote:Creeper. Dost thou see it? Shining. Brilliant. Our Godtuner.

Thou covet the Godtuner. Desire beyond desire! Take it then, for We have ascended beyond it. No need for such an instrument.
It shouldn't be lost on you that the entirety of Godhome takes place inside the Godseeker's dreams. This is the entire conceit of Godhome. Seeking the higher beings of Hallownest...
Godseeker, about Pale King wrote: Even long departed, We feel the afterglow of the God-power that sat this throne... It lays heavy upon this kingdom.

That lingering power alone was beacon enough to draw Us to Hallownest. How bright it must have been to mortal bug stood before it.

A God so strong... Yet erased so completely. How could it happen?

God-king, you reduced your form to match Our meagre shells... But why shed so majestic a whole?

Surely, your true immensity could have inspired devotion all the more!
...and channeling any energy they can use to reach that level, the ritual of the Pantheon is a vehicle to ascend to the highest, purest dream. Absolute Radiance. In their mind, the god of gods (original title drop).
Godseeker, about Hollow Knight wrote: Show reverence, o meagre one. Show fear! Thou approacheth a great and terrible God.

Though its worldly body be bound and defiled, the glory of its pure form endures, ruler of this pantheon. Its endless power shall attune Us to the one greater still, a God of Gods!

Meagre one, dost thou imagine thyself the equal of this God? Dost thou imagine thyself made in its image? Thou assume a similar shape, and the deep echo within thee seems familiar...

Ahh! What thoughts are these? Thou sow blasphemies in Our mind, wretch! Begone! We pray that the God of nothingness silence thee forever!

O bound one, thy silence nearly deafens Us. Foolishly we feared thee, yet only by thine providence shall We find the one We seek. The God sleeping within...
Now that we've covered all of that, we need to take a complete left-turn and talk about flowers.

The Delicate Flower
Taken from the Queen's Gardens. It glows faintly with pale light.

The flower is very fragile and will be destroyed if you take damage or ride the Stagways.
After completing the Grey Mourner's quest, more flowers will bloom at the Traitor Child's grave in Queen's Gardens. These can be taken and offered to a number of characters, although the ones with lore-relevant dialogue are White Lady and the Godseeker.
White Lady wrote:Ah, what precious gift it offers, though alas I shan't accept.

Not of me that flower, nor of this kingdom. Far it travelled to reach this place, brought by one beloved, fair knight of lands serene.

There is rare power hidden in those frail petals.

To hold it so close, one must surely be unaware of its nature...
Remember those two lines.
Godseeker wrote:An offering? Yes. The Crawler makes an offering to Us. Rare bloom, tiny and pure. No God, though. No godliness. But still...

What does Crawler ask for in return? To touch? Our thick, gleaming hide? To see? See the exquisite face beneath Our mask? Such strange prayers!

No. No! Crawler presumes too much. The gift is Ours. Kept by Us. But Our mysteries will be preserved.

Gods. Many shapes, they assume. This bloom, then? A splinter? Cast-off? Refuse of something greater?

No. No tune. If it sings... We can not hear it.
Now that we've addressed this, we can talk about the endings.

Remember back to the ending of Pantheon of the Knight, when you were acknowledged in the void. You've become powerful through this ritual, more powerful than anything the Godseeker expected. You go to Radiance in her true domain, and with no help from your kin, channel the full power of the void to tear her to shreds. (It's vicious.)

Then, this is where the endings diverge.

A (no flower): The void is overwhelming, and that darkness spirals out from there, consuming everything in its path.

B (flower): The void is overwhelming, but as the darkness flows out of the Godseeker, it's repelled by the light of the Delicate Flower's petals. Leaving only the shining flower to remain.

In the process, freed from the clutches of the Radiance, Hollow Knight escapes the Black Egg, standing imposingly in front of Hornet.

It's currently widely believed this is the stinger for Honet's upcoming DLC story.

I've apologized every time for how long these are, but I really wanted everyone to know this. I think it adds value to the story, and Godmaster does have really interesting lore if you look for it. It's just too easy to get caught up in the Pantheons.
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: HOLLOW KNIGHT - Goodbye, Melody

Post by Awoo »

I'll miss you, Melody :'c

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

Reverning

Post by Reverning »

wellthen.PNG
wellthen.PNG (467.57 KiB) Viewed 4373 times

Surprise announcement from Team Cherry!

https://twitter.com/TeamCherryGames/sta ... 5464599552
LatexHydra

Post by LatexHydra »

O shit that came out of nowhere. Excited to see this
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

i don't expect this will be played until at least 2020 but heck yeah more hollow knight
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

first look though, not necessarily release

edit: unless I'm reading the post wrong ?
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Reverning

Post by Reverning »

IT'S NOT DLC IT'S A WHOLE SEQUEL

Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I wonder if they'll include that one area they cut from the first game (Bone forest, was it called?)
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

Sebby19 wrote: I wonder if they'll include that one area they cut from the first game (Bone forest, was it called?)
Sounds like it, going by this one youtube comment:
Yggdrasil Amatsu wrote:Looks like you utilized the Forest of Bones area from the early version of Hollow Knight, plus the giant spider. Really happy to see that, and ecstatic about the new game!
hyyyyype
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)