(shouting)

HOLLOW KNIGHT - Blessings

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
First name: Violet
Pronouns: she/her

Re: HOLLOW KNIGHT - Blessings

Post by 10204307 »

A quick note on Sly - in his second phase, his saws are exclusively based on proximity. He does the saw whenever he gets close to you, and can do this several times in a row if you stay too close to him.

Edit: Also, in regards to charms, Dream Weaver might be helpful for you- it drastically increases the speed at which you can dream nail and generally gives you enough milk for two heals or two spells. For bosses that can be staggered (which is most of them) this can be really useful for getting emergency milk when you're out. It's especially useful against Failed Champion, since he's right before Nightmare King Grimm, and you really want to be full on health before you get into that fight.
Reverning

Post by Reverning »

I'm a fan of the dash slash because it has the most horizontal range. It's definitely got its uses.
Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago Could someone dump a current damage chart again? Since rao's been wondering what does more damage. I've been curious for a while, myself. Also include those rocks that fall down.
Sure, here's the base values:
Pure Nail Damage wrote:
  • Basic Swing: 21
  • Dash Slash: 52
  • Great Slash: 52
  • Cyclone Slash: 64-147 Total
This one warrants an explanation. You can extend the Cyclone by tapping the attack button. It can be massively effective if used at the right time.
Fragile Strength doesn't benefit the damage of the Nail Arts, but Fury of the Fallen does.
Something I also forgot to mention last night, if you like using a lot of Nail Arts, Nailmaster's Glory is a very useful and inexpensive equip. For just one notch cost, those quick charge hits on bosses like White Defender would be super super easy.
Spell Damage wrote:
  • Shade Soul: 30 per hit
  • Descending Dark: 60 Total (15+30+15)
  • Abyss Shriek: 80 Total (20+20+20+20)
The Shaman Stone charm improves Shade Soul's and Descending Dark's damage by 30%, and Abyss Shriek's by 50%, but more interesting, it also increases the hitbox size.

Miscellaneous: Sharp Shadow deals the same damage as your nail, but it doesn't benefit from Fragile Strength. It does get a damage buff from Dashmaster, one of the hidden interactions.

I don't actually know how much damage the falling barrels do. I can't find that anywhere.
Last edited by Reverning 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

How about other attacks provided by the charms? Like the ones that replace Shade Soul, for example?
I should have asked for a complete damage chart.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Shard1697

Post by Shard1697 »

Flukenest replaces shade soul with 16 flukes(9 if you have the weaker version of the spell) that each deal 4 damage, 5 if you have shaman stone.

So that's up to 80 damage if you shotgun bosses with it, which is... a lot. The only time normal shade soul can match this is when it also has shaman stone and is used against a boss that gets knocked back and doublehit by it. Also slightly more than a fragile strength great slash/dash slash, and without the charge time.

It's still weaker than shaman stone shriek, but less situational since they don't need to be above you.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

And those little buggers are homing, right? Shame raocow never demoed it.

My favorite bosses would have to be Soul Master, and then Sisters of Battle. Both are prime examples of a Teleport Spam boss, and a Wolfpack boss.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000

Post by 10204307 »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago And those little buggers are homing, right? Shame raocow never demoed it.
They're not homing, they just kinda flop around very briefly.
XionGaTaosenai

Post by XionGaTaosenai »

I think you would get a lot more mileage out of the armor if you were more aggressive with spells while you had it. You keep saving your milk for "healing" when you can't do that until after the armor is already gone, and it seems like most of the damage you take stems from wanting to always be in the boss's face to deal damage - being more willing to put distance between you and the boss and throw spells for more damage would probably help the armor's longevity (at least until you run out of milk and have to get close-up to collect more).
RobinLSL

Post by RobinLSL »

Shard1697 wrote: 5 years ago Flukenest replaces shade soul with 16 flukes(9 if you have the weaker version of the spell) that each deal 4 damage, 5 if you have shaman stone.

So that's up to 80 damage if you shotgun bosses with it, which is... a lot. The only time normal shade soul can match this is when it also has shaman stone and is used against a boss that gets knocked back and doublehit by it. Also slightly more than a fragile strength great slash/dash slash, and without the charge time.

It's still weaker than shaman stone shriek, but less situational since they don't need to be above you.
Fragile Strength doesn't boost nail arts, sadly.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

if you're gonna be grinding grimm
please, please also go find the scary boss you haven't fought in the pantheon and practice them as well
i don't even know if it's a spoiler to say but you know they're coming
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

so fighting as a mage is completely ludicrous. Some bosses just *melt* at your damage and you get to stay at a relatively safe distance away most of the time :shock:
the chillaxest of dragonsImage

Post by 10204307 »

Yeah, I love doing spell builds in this game because it really makes you feel powerful. I don't know what exact build you're using, but I enjoy pairing Shaman Stone with Soul Catcher and Soul Eater, because then you get 22% soul from each hit, which is almost enough to cast a spell (or in other words, two spells every three hits). Of course, the notch cost means it's risky, since you won't have room for Mark of Pride or Quick Focus, but if you're looking for raw offense there are few builds with higher DPS.
Reverning

Post by Reverning »

RobinLSL wrote: 5 years ago Fragile Strength doesn't boost nail arts, sadly.
Oh, right, I had Fury of the Fallen in my head when I was typing up my chart, thanks for the reminder.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Uhh so which is the more recent video this time?

It's fine for a few-seconds-long snippet to indicate there's no new progress, but when a full length video doesn't have number labeling and there's two videos a day, it gets confusing.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

to make it even more confusing: the one that's just the title screen was recorded after but set to appear first.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Joseph Staleknight
ABCDs in Katamari Damacy when

Post by Joseph Staleknight »

I believe "sadness of harrownest" was first because he mentioned that later would be the more fun video. What raocow said.

But yeah, I guess this LP's not much longer for this world. Just a demo of the finale of PoH and that's it.
tirakai

Post by tirakai »

the Pantheon of Hallownest really isn't something you can just take a few attempts and get it done, it's something for people to spend multiple weeks on if they've finished everything else but really don't want the game to end.

I think the ideal way to show the challenge probably would've been to just do a couple attempts to see what kind of challenge it was (until you see the Sisters of Battle and Winged Nosk essentially) then going straight to the save file to see the final boss, it's really not worth the time investment for anyone but the craziest fans.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

As I've said elsewhere:

A vital skill when attempting extremely difficult challenges is to recognize when is the right time to put them away and move on to other things. Today, raocow shows he has that skill. Good on you sir.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

No one can blame you for walking away
But too much rejection, uh-huh
No love injection, nothing
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

I mean, I was against it from the start but you put up a good effort anyways

Maybe something to try and do in your free time? The big issue is the pantheon doesn't -really- begin until like, the last few bosses lol and it takes 40 minutes to get there
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
freshtalk

Post by freshtalk »

I just feel like this is a sorta sad reminder that with the way raocow does things, he can't really play games on his own time or terms.

Not saying he necessarily needs to change or anything though, just one of those things that are when you play three video games a day for a living.

Whatever else though, this was a really fun playthrough from the beginning. I even really enjoyed everything including most of this godmaster stuff, and I think it'a good to be experimental with how you might format these LPs.
tirakai

Post by tirakai »

Honestly I think fifth Pantheon should've just been all the Godmaster bosses, something like

Pale Lurker (sure it's not technically considered a boss, but it essentially is one, and it's got more health than a bunch of the early bosses)
Oro & Mato
Sisters of Battle
Sheo
Winged Nosk
Sly
one of each Eternal Ordeal Zote minion because why not
Pure Vessel
final

Pantheon of Hallownest would still be in the game of course, but it should've been an entirely optional extra challenge and not required to see the new final boss and ending.

Post by 10204307 »

Personally I think the final pantheon could've just been a collection of the most "impactful" bosses, without stuff like Massive Moss Charger and Flukemarm that just pad out the time. Harder bosses like Hornet 2 and the dream bosses could stay in the pantheon. I think you could narrow the pantheon down to less than 20 bosses using this metric.

I'm a bit sad to see Hollow Knight go, but I'll admit that it's probably a good idea to just put the game down rather than agonize over conquering this one last challenge. It's incredibly difficult and incredibly long, and the fact that you've gotten as far as you did really shows that you've gotten pretty skilled at this game. I hadn't really been expecting you to beat it because I haven't either.
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

At least he's going to do the actual final boss so we can go out on some kinda finality. Will you be looking at the ending in a video too? I'm sure someone can prepare a link or something.
Reverning

Post by Reverning »

I'm not sure if everyone wants to know at this point, but the Final 3 of the Pantheon are Nightmare King, Pure Vessel, and

Absolute Radiance

. There's a Godseeker segment about the Pale King before Pure Vessel, so you get to go into that fight with full HP and cocoons.

I'll do a big write-up on that, the Land of Storms, the Delicate Flower, the endings, and whatever other assorted lore tomorrow night.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I watched Hollow Knight videos once in a while on an on-and-off basis, so I didn't always know what was going on. And as someone watching this way, I felt that it was enjoyable and easy to watch the series of impressive boss fights. I can see that for people keeping up with this let's play, the pantheons may feel like repeat content, but for me, the boss marathons made a good summary of an important aspect of the game, given that the game is basically a giant boss collecting quest.