(shouting)

COMING UP NEXT now w/ BUCKET.TXT

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
freshtalk

Re: COMING UP NEXT

Post by freshtalk »

Well, if he wants to do it anyway... that's why he has two videos a day instead of one. (Unless Mega Man is still going strong then).

I don't think it's too bad a thing if some games don't catch everyone's attention. I myself have found plenty of series where I usually fast forward a bunch, though I'm sure someone other than raocow always appreciates it too.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

BROS is still there, it's just kinda hidden tucked in between bigger names and hard to see. also not in all caps.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

SAJewers wrote: 5 years ago If raocow wants to play Last Impact next, that's his choice.
Oh, yeah, absolutely. I only suggested he play another game first out of concern but I didn't mean to be a nag about it, apologies if I was too pushy.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
LatexHydra

Post by LatexHydra »

hes gonna play Super Mario Infinity 1 and 2 again? oh no.. If I remember, aren't there tons of extremely long levels, with only one midpoint? Well, still gonna be super hype, it's a really nostalgic hack
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

raocow wrote: La-Mulana
After witnessing A Raving Loon spend an entire year* trying to beat the game blind before admitting defeat and "breaking the seal" (i.e. read spoilers and puzzle solutions), I worry for you.

*A full year streaming the game once a week for 1.5-2.5 hours.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

inb4voltgloss
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

Grounder wrote: 5 years ago inb4voltgloss
yup
i have faith in both raocow and la-mulana that they will meet each other halfway
Zach808

Post by Zach808 »

Oh wow, I kinda remember savescumming, like, half of Super Mario Infinity. I don’t remember that hack being that great, even back then. I can still enjoy quite a bit of Vip4 and even Hyper VI, which both have their fair share of fun, creative levels despite being extremely uneven when it comes to quality. But SMI kinda just bored me while being way too hard.

From what I’ve seen of Last Impact, it at least looks like a ton of effort went into making something interesting, even if the final product badly needs refining. I’d much prefer you play that rather than killing yourself with SMI.
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

Zach808 wrote: 5 years agoFrom what I’ve seen of Last Impact, it at least looks like a ton of effort went into making something interesting, even if the final product badly needs refining. I’d much prefer you play that rather than killing yourself with SMI.
As someone who has played Last Impact, I don't see it going any other way but a trainwreck. I had mentioned it on stream to a few others who have played it, and they agreed. Not to say raocow shouldn't play it, I would like to see it but this needs to be known going into it. I think SMI would go (relatively) better.
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

A trainwreck is more interesting than a train that doesn't move
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

I mean, depends on the kind of trainwreck. The latest release fixed most of (all?) the invisible walls.
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

It just now dawned on me that, in order to ensure the MLDA LP won't be another Thing like the Mario Doomsday LP, we're bumping up what sounds like it's going to be a bigger, 3D Doomsday.

Welp.

I know some folks are probably tired of me talking about feedback etiquette, and I don't intend to spend all of my time arguing in the Last Impact thread when this LP is coming up next specifically so I can focus on making a different game's boss fights better. So I'm just gonna ask this once more, here and now: please try to avoid the aggressive discourse that surrounded past controversial A-sides.

When giving criticism I encourage everyone to think about the context -- how things like raocow's degree of experience with Mario 64 hacks (and 3D platformers in general), his playstyle and preferences, the unique circumstances of the Let's Play format and three simultaneous LPs, etc. impact his experience with the game compared to the average player. I've noticed these things being acknowledged more in the Hollow Knight thread than during past LPs so I'm hopeful that the same consideration will be given to the A-side games as well. I have no reason to doubt that Last Impact has its fair share of serious flaws as everyone's been saying, and if the combination of those problems and the above factors results in a negative experience for rao, well, folks have every right to sympathize with him... But try to keep that separate from general discussion about the game's issues; the games raocow plays deserve to be judged on their own merits and with different ways players may approach and experience them accounted for, not just through cow-tinted goggles.

And please please please keep things civil, especially if the creator ends up joining in on the conversation! I don't know much about Kaze and please correct me if I'm wrong (and I have been wrong about these things before), but as far as I'm aware they're not a member of the greater talkhaus community/raocow fandom, nor were they the one that requested raocow play the hack. And while anything out there and available to play is fair game for feedback, there is a difference between someone willingly subjecting themselves to critique by requesting their work be showcased and unknowingly being put in the spotlight because of someone else signal-boosting their creation. Even if it turns out that the creator can't handle valid criticism and reacts poorly, there's no need to respond in kind -- taking the high road is always an option. Needless negativity doesn't just create a hostile atmosphere for the creator(s) of the game being LPed but their followers and other prospective devs and fans as well; you never know who you'll end up scaring off by being a caustic critic.

Furthermore, while public figures only have so much sway and accountability for what their followers say and do, the reputation of a fanbase can significantly affect people's enjoyment of the person that community is built around. I can't think of good examples off the top of my head but I'm sure folks have seen this before with other LPers, Twitch streamers, and other internet celebrities, and it's also comparable to how people get turned off from games like Undertale or shows like Steven Universe, Rick and Morty, and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure because of their overzealous fans. This kind of backlash isn't fair or logical, but that's just how people work. I'm sure nobody here would want that for raocow, nor do we want him to be held accountable for the stuff that goes on here and take time away from LPing to help moderate the forums (even if the idea has been brought up recently).

Now, as people have pointed out before, a big part of the negativity surrounding these kinds of LPs comes from the Youtube comments, and I'm not going to reach a lot of folks there by preaching about this stuff here on the forums. Short of something like the Doomsday post-mortem video or occasional reminders in the LPs there's not much of a way to get the message across to the majority of the YT-only viewers, but rao isn't obligated to do that kind of stuff and we shouldn't have to ask it of him. There is, however, a fair amount of overlap between the forumites and Youtube commenters. Just as raocow isn't obligated to remind viewers to be civil, non-staff talkhausers aren't obligated to help manage the discourse, but if folks do want to help create a more encouraging social environment they can do so by getting more involved on the Youtube side: inspire other commenters to change their tune by setting an example, and maybe even try to politely re-rail comment threads that get too rude, personal or unconstructive without bluntly policing or dictating the conversation. This is a pretty idealistic solution, of course, but don't underestimate the difference an optimistic attempt can make; even if you can't turn things around, others will still notice and appreciate the effort. It's easy to get overwhelmed and discouraged by sharp comments, but having friendlier voices in there helps balance things out.

TL;DR: if raocow has a rough time with a game it's okay to be upset, and no work should be exempt from criticism. But neither of these things excuse or justify being a jerk about it, and when someone is a jerk it reflects poorly on the community, and unfortunately by extension, raocow. If nothing else please try to be mindful of how your feedback contributes to the social atmosphere, but if folks want to help in a more proactive manner they can lead by example in the Youtube comments and/or try and nudge insulting or unhelpful conversations toward a more positive, constructive direction.

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

Stink Terios wrote: 5 years ago I mean, depends on the kind of trainwreck. The latest release fixed most of (all?) the invisible walls.
Not really, in some cases, it creates more. Though tbf I haven't played Last Impact since that update, just other hacks with the patch Kaze made/used.
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

It's not like Last Impact is going to change in any way -- regardless of when raocow plays it.

And I mean, by all accounts, Hyper VI *should* have been a trainwreck Megaman X6 AND X7 were going to be trainwrecks. raocow survived those games alright. Even VIP 4 was going to be a thing, but the raocow of the modern age managed to surprise us by the many years of experience.

Last Impact might be a thing or a trainwreck -- or it might not actually. I can see some people being angry because the hack was incredibly popular despite being a little bit of a broken mess. That's understandable -- things which are talked up set expectations, often despite themselves. In this ROMhacking world, for better or for worse -- the work is often inseparable from author's attitude towards it.

but yeah being toxic in general has been a bit of a problem (and I'm guilty of that too)
video games
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

At least he's not playing Last Impact and La Mulana at the same time.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Gardenolva
Void and Voir embraced together...
First name: En Gardevoir
Pronouns: Male

Post by Gardenolva »

Did someone already requested SM64 Sapphire?

A.K.A.: En Gardevoir
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

I've just been getting back to the Delightful Enhanced bosses this last week after a string of holidays, family traditions and birthdays. Haven't been keeping up with every video of Last Impact but it's wrapping up soon, right?

Our current status is that the first, third, fifth and final bosses are all roughly 75-90% done. We've brought on an additional programmer to help with the remaining two fights but we're still getting them up to speed with the episode-specific tech.

At this point it may be best to just like, convert the "any of these projects" note into a full-on Tentative A-Side list "(confirmed for LP but not scheduled yet)" and move Mario & Luigi's Delightful Adventure Enhanced in there (also A2XT2 because that's still on folks' radar and Hoeloe's resuming her work on the final devkit preparations). Or something along those lines.

I don't like suggesting this because it feels like having the more tangible deadline of an upcoming LP provides a stronger guarantee that we're still working on it than just our word on the matter, but we've had to extend that more tangible deadline several times now.

SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

i've kind of taken the "any of these projects" list to be more of "unlikely to ever see the light of day, but if by some miracle it comes out, i'm lping it on release".

Better to just reshuffle the list to move Delightful Enhanced down the order.
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

Well, maybe not mess with that note then, but I still think it would be best to just set Delightful aside in some fashion until it's done.

Though if we do just push it further back in the list, what would the new deadline be if we put it after, say, Donkey Kong Country? As in, if everything goes well for rao, what's the fewest days Fishing Season 2 through DKC would take altogether?

Grounder

Post by Grounder »

ok imma be the bad guy and ask you to stop trying to fit yourself into a schedule as it clearly isnt working out for you
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Rockythechao wrote: 5 years ago Well, maybe not mess with that note then, but I still think it would be best to just set Delightful aside in some fashion until it's done.

Though if we do just push it further back in the list, what would the new deadline be if we put it after, say, Donkey Kong Country? As in, if everything goes well for rao, what's the fewest days Fishing Season 2 through DKC would take altogether?
No idea on Fishing Season, Chocolate Island 6, or Mice, but IIRC aterraformer lpd 3mix in 30 or so episodes, so after dkc 1 might take you to after easter? *shrug*
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I think it's appropriate to put it in the undetermined future category until it's ready. It's clearly not done, and it makes more sense to put it in the scheduled lineup after it's finished.
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

Grounder wrote: 5 years ago ok imma be the bad guy and ask you to stop trying to fit yourself into a schedule as it clearly isnt working out for you
That's what I'm saying. Like, I'm asking about pushing it back behind DKC since SAJ called for that, and it's ultimately raocow's call what to do with his own LP schedule so figuring out what each option entails not only determines the time we have to finish the game but factors into rao's decision as well.

But I really do think it would be best to just remove Delightful from the A-Side list for the time being and then slot it back in at like 3rd or 4th or 7th or whateverth place of whatever the lineup is after it's released. Then we can stop having these discussions toward the end of every A-side LP.

Final edit: yeah basically what ano0maly said

raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

yeah I'll be doing that then

take your time with this
the chillaxest of dragonsImage