(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Ashan »

World 4 castle/A Honeypot Trap was kind of a nightmare. It was especially frustrating that the first time I got to the end of the first half of the level (right before the midpoint) I was having trouble entering the pipe and ended up running into the only bee on the screen because I missed the pipe when jumping into it. But I eventually got through it and went on to complete all of world 5 in a sitting.

When I got to the bullet bill spam level I was kind of dreading it because it gave me a ton of trouble when I played through it back closer to when it came out, but it actually wasn't much of an issue this time once I realized if you bait the homing bullets to shoot to the left and then you run to the right it'll pretty consistently despawn them. Secret exit was a bit more of a thing. I kept running around looking for a springboard to get up to the area with the eaten blocks but I never found one and eventually realized you can just wait for the bullet generator to shoot a bullet at the right height and bounce off it to get up there. Not sure if that was the solution or not but it worked.

World 5 final boss was a lot of fun, but I kind of hated that you have to redo the monotonous task of waiting for layer 3 cycles to go up and down. it wasn't even hard, it was just mindless and put a giant wait between each attempt of the boss. Also I recall on emulator you could see Demo's feet under the blackness in the final phase of the boss but I couldn't see them at all on my CRT so I was basically running back and forth to kick up dust to see where I was. Managed to finish her off the first time I got her under 3 health thankfully.
Also I don't know why there was a random keyhole and springboard in the level. Red herrings I guess?
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Beat Starfox Adventures after many years of playing it then stopping over halfway in, repeat.

It's definitely not a bad game, it just really didn't need to have the starfox logo or characters slapped on it. The final boss fight just felt awkward since you really didn't fly much except to travel to the different areas. So it was very jarring to suddenly have to do that at the end. (My poor hands) The only other complaint I have is aiming the stupid fire blaster move. The control stick is so finicky to aim with.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Man spent a good amount of time in The Frozen Crusade in ASMT today.
I started off with the secret exit since I accidentally found it after dying in one of my runs. Getting it alone took probably over an hour of attempts, I wasn't really keeping track of time. But oddly enough after getting that I was able to run through the whole level and get the regular exit in a single life
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

House of Turner was a horrible nightmare. Kinda neat puzzle in the second half but so much sprite spam all over the level
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Haven't played anything other than the occasional bit of Fire Emblem Heroes in the last couple of weeks now. Kind of sure that's going to change when we pick up Mega Man 11. Not sure if that will be today, but it will be soon.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 5 years ago Gunpoint!
PAC-MAN Championship Edition 2!
Valley!
Skullgirls! Couldn't get into it. Just... it's not an airdasher and the combos are too strict, even in its well-reputed tutorial, I was hurting my hands trying to input them fast enough. Just not for me.

Oxenfree! Spooky teen adventure story. Set on a tiny island, five teens find themselves in trouble during what was supposed to be a beach party when they use an old portable radio to tune into an anomaly. They're subsequently scattered, subjected to hallucinations and weird phenomena, and the whole island gets a Bit Wrong. But you, playing as Alex, can keep interacting with it via your radio. The real draw factor here though isn't the radio, but the conversation system which frequently gives you two to three dialogue options, and the choice to stay silent, which fairly naturally flows - the voice work is great and cutting people off mid-sentence generally flows surprisingly well too. There's also some angst and relationships, past traumas both benign and fatal. It's interesting, and a New Game Plus is recommended if you're not put off by the slow walking and talking the first time around. Not as good as Night in the Woods imo, but very much in the same genre. It's nice! Oh, and not actually that scary - I'm a huge chicken-wuss who couldn't play SOMA, so...

Well. It's time. I've got my backlog of Games I Actually Want To Play under 100, so...

It's time for me to wake up.
Last edited by BobisOnlyBob 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Oxenfree is "pretty fine" the first time through and "boring as heck" on any subsequent playthrough unfortunately

Anyways I started nier automata but died in the tutorial so now I'm mad at the game lol

I'm probably gonna restart on easy just to get past the start because I can't be bothered
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Parama wrote: 5 years agoAnyways I started nier automata but died in the tutorial so now I'm mad at the game lol

I'm probably gonna restart on easy just to get past the start because I can't be bothered
Unless they patched it to fix the stupidity (which they haven't to my knowledge) the intro is one of the dumbest, and weakest, parts of the game. It's overly difficult due to a massive lack in checkpointing which doesn't actually exist elsewhere in the game.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Played through the 5 robot masters in Mega Man 11 today.
When I started the game it offered me some bonus for playing the demo? I accepted and have no idea what it gave me. I noticed I started with like 3 E-tanks, not sure if that was the bonus or that's just how you always start.

The levels are generally pretty fun, but man. It's a pretty known thing at this point how antiquated the lives system is, and it shows more than ever in this game. The levels are incredibly long, they take, I don't know, 10 minutes to complete? So getting to the boss in 1 life then dying and getting a game-over cause you forgot that you went in with 0 lives from the last level is 100x times more frustrating than normal. Bolts are pretty common and lives are fairly cheap at the shop, so it just makes me wonder why there are lives at all. Makes no sense in this game.

It also seems like the knockback makes no sense in this game. It sometimes hits you forward and sometimes hits you backward? It was really frustrating in one stage where I kept falling into bottomless pits cause I was trying to tank a projectile and have it knock me back in the direction that I'll stay on the platform, but then I get knocked forward somehow and fall into a pit and die.

I think the time slowing mechanic is pretty neat. I tend to never use the power up mechanic or whatever it's called, but the time slowing has some very neat usages, and it's a pretty large handicap to not be using it. Especially when fighting bosses. I tend to forget cause I usually play my Mega Mans pretty vanilla, not using special weapons and whatnot very much, but it's pretty necessary for how fast enemies move in this game.

Anyway, yeah. Been having fun so far!
Crow

Post by Crow »

Alice wrote: 5 years ago
Parama wrote: 5 years agoAnyways I started nier automata but died in the tutorial so now I'm mad at the game lol

Unless they patched it to fix the stupidity (which they haven't to my knowledge) the intro is one of the dumbest, and weakest, parts of the game. It's overly difficult due to a massive lack in checkpointing which doesn't actually exist elsewhere in the game.
yeah that's what i've heard but w h e w is that not a great first impression to leave
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Mega Man 11 is fun so far. Two stages down, and two other stages completely failed. The Gear system is a good idea, and I should totally be using it more, but I kind of play it like raocow in that I don't like using stuff much at first, special weapons aside on the stages themselves. The levels are also way longer than I was expecting. This brings back memories of Mega Man 8, except you don't get a mid-stage continue point if you lose all your lives. Yeah, that hurt in my very first stage. Oh well. It's looking like another nice comeback.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Parama wrote: 5 years agoyeah that's what i've heard but w h e w is that not a great first impression to leave
Yeah, it definitely isn't. It took me several tries to get through it myself and it left me considering restarting on a lower difficulty. Then I got through the intro and suddenly the game was actually fairly easy for the most part.

One of these days I should get around to beating it myself. I had a broken quest at one point and because I'd been completing all quests as I went I ended up losing interest in the game. That was fixed at some point but by then it had been months since I last played so I had no idea what I was even doing anymore. Which sucks because other than the intro I was actually enjoying the game quite a bit.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Got through the rest of Mega Man 11 tonight in a couple of play sessions. I have to say that this is a pretty decent set of special weapons in this one. Combine that with the Double Gear system, and you've got some fun tools to play around with. Now for the spoiler stuff...

The stages themselves are really long. Getting a game over late in a stage, or worse, at the boss really hurts. That happened a few times in my run, two of those times being in the first two Wily stages. Ouch. This game will have plenty of times where you lose to both damage or the instant finish you off traps. You have to really think on your feet at times in this one for a first run. Some stages went really well like Tundra, Fuse, and Torch Man, but I had a couple of painful moments and others where I just tanked it to make a tough jump way easier in Acid Man's stage.

Boss fights are hectic as can be with their desperation attacks or forms, and even before that, they have a few attacks each. It's like learning boss fights in phases instead of seeing what attack they're going to do. Honestly, it feels like a combination of Mega Man 8 and Powered Up at times, just with a lot more difficulty all around. Yeah, I can get behind that.

Finally, Dr. Wily is a boss in this game. I was just as stunned as you are now. Whew.

BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Parama wrote: 5 years ago Oxenfree is "pretty fine" the first time through and "boring as heck" on any subsequent playthrough unfortunately
Too true. I decided to be a mute for my second time around, which unfortunately

prevented me from getting the Escape the Loop ending, but there's no achievement for that so I just watched it on youtube

. Staying mute the whole game (besides A-button automatic dialog) does

resurrect Michael, as he assumes you want him to stay, and prevents Ren and Nona hooking up

, which is perfect as that was almost the exact opposite of my first playthrough (

Claire survived both times.

). If I wanted 100% achievements I'd have to play through a third time, pissing off everyone and optionally

erasing Claire

but eh, probably not gonna.
Parama wrote: 5 years ago Anyways I started nier automata but died in the tutorial so now I'm mad at the game lol

The intro is the hardest. I have never beaten it on Hard mode, despite coming extremely close multiple times. Dying to it once or twice on Normal is fairly typical. It's a beautiful and strange game and absolutely worth your time, and the intro is good in its own way but god damn the difficulty is not
Crow

Post by Crow »

i mean i just played it on easy, aka "the game plays itself" mode
i already did everything except the later phases of the boss at the end & i'm gonna play the rest on normal just
what a bad note to start on
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Bean wrote: 5 years ago Got through the rest of Mega Man 11 tonight in a couple of play sessions. I have to say that this is a pretty decent set of special weapons in this one. Combine that with the Double Gear system, and you've got some fun tools to play around with. Now for the spoiler stuff...

The stages themselves are really long. Getting a game over late in a stage, or worse, at the boss really hurts. That happened a few times in my run, two of those times being in the first two Wily stages. Ouch. This game will have plenty of times where you lose to both damage or the instant finish you off traps. You have to really think on your feet at times in this one for a first run. Some stages went really well like Tundra, Fuse, and Torch Man, but I had a couple of painful moments and others where I just tanked it to make a tough jump way easier in Acid Man's stage.

Boss fights are hectic as can be with their desperation attacks or forms, and even before that, they have a few attacks each. It's like learning boss fights in phases instead of seeing what attack they're going to do. Honestly, it feels like a combination of Mega Man 8 and Powered Up at times, just with a lot more difficulty all around. Yeah, I can get behind that.

Finally, Dr. Wily is a boss in this game. I was just as stunned as you are now. Whew.

I finished off my first playthrough last night as well. I think basically everyone who plays this game is coming to the same conclusion that the stages are way too long for the lives system to still be the same one used in the other games.
For the boss desperation moves, I find that toggling in and out of time slowdown mode is the best way to deal with them. You kinda just wait for them to make a move or come near you, turn it on, get out of the way of whatever they're trying to do, then shift back to regular time, and repeat. It takes a bit for the time shift gear to become second nature, but it's a really neat mechanic once you get used to it, and I think a LOT of enemy moves were created with it in mind.

Also I basically never use the extra strength gear mode. Just didn't find a good use for it I guess.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I couldn't bring myself to use the Speed Gear for regular bosses the first time around. I always like fighting them buster only then, too. It was worth it. Man, there were some fun fights there.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Bean wrote: 5 years agoI couldn't bring myself to use the Speed Gear for regular bosses the first time around. I always like fighting them buster only then, too. It was worth it. Man, there were some fun fights there.
Judging by Roahm Mythril's lp, not using it seems like a bad idea for at least some of the bosses. Speed Gear would've made a few of Torch Man's more annoying attacks dodgeable.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I definitely used it for Torch Man's stage, that's for sure. Oh, that video was painful to watch in spots because of how he doesn't use the charge shot, but that's just the way he plays. He definitely got the stage by the time he had his winning run.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Super Mario Party is all right. It's basically a cross between the Wii Resort titles and Mario Party: Star Rush. It's still not the same as the old ones that people liked, but there are definitely a lot more hints of it shining through than there were in 9 and 10, that's for sure. The minigames have also been fun, so I'd say it's a fine enough addition.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

ok

super benbo quest is an amazing game

you all should buy it while it's on sale

well worth the money

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Spent some time working on getting some achievements in MM11 last night. I wanted to do the one where you don't buy/use any items but I misread it to mean you can't buy then use items, so I just avoided the store for the whole playthrough, but I was still using E-tanks I picked up in levels near the end.
Turns out it meant you can't use any items period, which makes sense I guess. But I wasted a playthrough and was pretty mad when I didn't get the achievement after beating the game.
Joseph Staleknight
ABCDs in Katamari Damacy when

Post by Joseph Staleknight »

Still have to finish up Hollow Knight, but in the meantime I'm just playing a couple of simple casual/puzzle games. I currently have the RKS games on my Steam, but they're pretty brutal. (Exhibit A: Dying to Liebea and her stage multiple times.)

Also can't wait to pick up Guacamelee STCE for the Switch this coming weekend so I can try for another 100% run.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I put a decent amount of time into trying to complete Dr Light's Challenge in Mega Man 11 today. Got as far as room 27 or 28 at the most, where I just had no idea how to deal with one obstacle. I'm sure I'll get it eventually but god damn, each attempt takes like 16 minutes when I get that far
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

what the heck even is the original crash bandicoot's difficulty curve
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage