(shouting)

request grab-bag

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.

i am a dog weasel ?!

very yes
50%
yes
23%
no
16%
very no
11%

Total votes: 240

Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Re: request grab-bag

Post by Ditocoaf »

I agree with Leet in supporting games that are smaller and weirder and further from the spotlight, over The Big Indie Hit Of The Season That All Ten Thousand Youtube LPers Are Playing Simultaneously. I've enjoyed the Hollow Knight and Celeste playthroughs, but it's a much more unique and special enjoyment when raocow plays something like Jiggly Zone or this:
The Doctor wrote: 5 years ago
Plus (though this isn't always the same games on either side of the spectrum) sometimes like five small games can be LP'd in the same time it takes to LP one big one, so the cost/benifit is a thing to notice. I like Hollow Knight but I don't like it five times as much as Escape Goat or Hyper Light Drifter or Mibibli.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

keep in mind that for the most part the games on the b-side coming up list are games that people (saucepans) requested raocow play, and publicly showed for support for their playing, out of a very long list that included many smaller titles. For reference, here's the entire list of games that part of the last patapon vote, and here's the final vote tally. While the vote system may have had it flaws (that's up for debate), people wanted to see those games.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Ditocoaf

Post by Ditocoaf »

SAJewers wrote: 5 years ago keep in mind that for the most part the games on the b-side coming up list are games that people (saucepans) requested raocow play, and publicly showed for support for their playing, out of a very long list that included many smaller titles. For reference, here's the entire list of games that part of the last patapon vote, and here's the final vote tally. While the vote system may have had it flaws (that's up for debate), people wanted to see those games.
I know, the vote was the vote and I'm not saying to overturn it. Just making the case for my preferences. I suppose I'm getting a head start on campaining for the next vote. And maybe I'll influence one or two people in what sorts of games they think to bring up in this thread.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Remember raocow has a habit of just inserting whatever he feels like, in between games that were voted on.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Ditocoaf wrote: 5 years ago
SAJewers wrote: 5 years ago keep in mind that for the most part the games on the b-side coming up list are games that people (saucepans) requested raocow play, and publicly showed for support for their playing, out of a very long list that included many smaller titles. For reference, here's the entire list of games that part of the last patapon vote, and here's the final vote tally. While the vote system may have had it flaws (that's up for debate), people wanted to see those games.
I know, the vote was the vote and I'm not saying to overturn it. Just making the case for my preferences. I suppose I'm getting a head start on campaining for the next vote. And maybe I'll influence one or two people in what sorts of games they think to bring up in this thread.
That may not help if you do it here, considering quite a few saucepans don't view the talkhaus.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Sure is great that the talkhaus is abandoned then

People are just gonna vote for Games They Like (Superstar Saga) anyway, which means Popularity, which means that if people suggest something weird it will always be overturned by a somewhat more mainstream game

I just remember when we looked down on LPing games that were being LPed elsewhere and in fact the SMB playthrough was delayed for several years because of how big it was on YT at the time. Doesn't mean that LPing Celeste was a bad decision, or that currently-popular games shouldn't be played, so it's not like that attitude was always right, but what's our identity if we start looking down on weird games? I always found the talkhaus' and raocow's tastes to be pretty punk and I don't know if we are exhibiting that punk spirit as much anymore.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

leet please stop being a hipster
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

I should probably correct myself: while some never registered on the talkever, some used to frequent the talkhaus but don't anymore (or just lurk)

Also, there were hours of discussion on games in the patapon spotzone during the vote. There was lots of debate on games, though mostly on whether or not it would make for a good raocow lp, as raocow had stated that votes should be for games people legitimately thought were good games and would make a good raocow lp.

Games like Hallow Knight and Celete and whatnot were voted not because it the hot new thing, but because people legit thought it would make a good and fun raocow lp (or, at least, that's what we were told to do by raocow)
Leet

Post by Leet »

Grounder wrote: 5 years ago leet please stop being a hipster
You got me! I took my time to articulate my point by talking about the history of the community and why I'm contrasting the present with now, and specifically outlined the stances I shouldn't be mistaken for taking, only for it to still be an opening for gotcha meme posts! Hahaha, this is the most good faith conversation xD

Is it really that hard to just take people at their word on the internet and talk about it like humans
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

I mean you're complaining but jiggly zone happened all of a month ago so I guess raocow doesn't play weird obscure games ever

Alternative take: raocow should do a redux of big fish legend
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Leet wrote: 5 years agoYou got me! I took my time to articulate my point by talking about the history of the community and why I'm contrasting the present with now, and specifically outlined the stances I shouldn't be mistaken for taking, only for it to still be an opening for gotcha meme posts! Hahaha, this is the most good faith conversation xD
I think that was meant more as a joke than anything but the way you were talking in that post honestly did come across as rather hipster-like, lol.
Leet wrote:I just remember when we looked down on LPing games that were being LPed elsewhere and in fact the SMB playthrough was delayed for several years because of how big it was on YT at the time.
I get what you mean but this is basically word for word something an actual hipster would say.
Leet wrote:what's our identity if we start looking down on weird games? I always found the talkhaus' and raocow's tastes to be pretty punk and I don't know if we are exhibiting that punk spirit as much anymore.
Also since I'm already making a post I may as well try addressing this bit too. Does the talkhaus actually look down on weird games now? Because I don't recall anything but people being excited for Jiggly Zone. And the All the Mega Mans may have something to do with it feeling like there's less of those sorts of games as well. Between the Patreon list frequently (but not always) populating both the A-side and B-side then Mega Man as the C-side it seems like it's more of a saturation problem than anything.
raocow wrote: 6 years ago A-Side: Wario Land 3, Mario and Luigi's Delightful Adventure, Mario 64 Last Impact, Fishing Season 2, 8 Powers (full version), Chocolate Island 6, Super Mario Bros 3Mix, stick mice in my head and then beat my head in witha hammer and let them back out, Donkey Kong Country, P-Switch: The Legendary P-Switch, Virtual Boy Wario Land, Bros, Donkey Kong Country 2, butt.smc, Super Mario 63, Donkey Kong Country 3, Super "Mario" World 2, Mario 64 hack to be determined, Donkey Kong Land, one of 30-something the Super SIG Worlds, New Super Marisa Land, Donkey Kong Land 2, Vip6? , Yoshi's Archipelago, Donkey Kong Land 3, ascetic mario 3, Super Demo World The Legend Continues, Super Wakana Land, DK64

** note: any of these games may be pushed aside in the case of the release of a major project, including but not limited to: jumphalf, maglx3, vip6, production2**

B-side: Rosenkeuzstilette (&Freudenstachel), Necrosphere, Rayman Origins, La-Mulana, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, Distorted Travesty 3: Epilogue, Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure, 1000 Amps, Iconoclasts, A Rose in the Twilight, Crash Bandicoot Classic Triolgy, Kirby 64, A Hat in Time, Copy Kitty FINAL
Mostly the A-sides that are relevant here (though I'm admittedly completely unfamiliar with quite a few of the B-side entries so they could fit as well) but quite a large chunk of his to-play list here seems like it'd fit what you're calling for.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Rosenetc, Necrosphere, and A Rose in the Twilight are all pretty decisively "not big mainstream indie games" imo

So I mean yeah,
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Leet

Post by Leet »

It wasn't my decision to delay the SMB LP, dude. build a time machine and bring it up with past raocow if you think that not wanting to LP a trending game is "an actual hipster thing", i think it would have been fine to play, and i made this very clear in my post

Also yes wow there are lots of cool punk games being played by raocow still I know. That is also a "gotcha, you are wrong!" point, can you please just look at this as a conversation and not a thesis to be proven wrong, I never said "we literally never play a certain type of game anymore". I just. Wanted to voice my take, I wasn't looking for "so you believe this, huh? huh? huh? is that what you believe?". ridiculous hyperbole like "oh, so now we can't say this ever again anymore?" as if I'm an authority is just so confrontational for no reason

E: actually alice's post was pretty normal about that point, so no problem with that part of her post. I have looked at the to-play list a lot and, i mean, yeah i am excited for a lot of the A-side stuff for this reason!
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Leet wrote: 5 years ago
Grounder wrote: 5 years ago leet please stop being a hipster
You got me! I took my time to articulate my point... Is it really that hard to just take people at their word on the internet and talk about it like humans
That's what I did when I replied to you on the previous page...
Leet wrote: 5 years ago Doesn't mean that LPing Celeste was a bad decision, or that currently-popular games shouldn't be played, so it's not like that attitude was always right, but what's our identity if we start looking down on weird games?
But we're not looking down on weird, niche, obscure stuff. We should not rule out those games and consider more than just the new popular stuff, but intentionally trying to pick out obscure games doesn't seem necessary. If a good idea is well-known, so be it.

And there are efforts to help balancing things out. raocow's personal picks (as opposed to the patreon votes), where informal community suggestions can have some sway, is a way to balance that out.
Ditocoaf

Post by Ditocoaf »

SAJewers wrote: 5 years ago I should probably correct myself: while some never registered on the talkever, some used to frequent the talkhaus but don't anymore (or just lurk)
Also, some use the talkhaus! I do, for one. Don't make the mistake of thinking of "the people active on the patreon discord" as all of "the people who chip in to rao's patreon". The former is just a subgroup of the latter.

(I'm technically in both the patreon and the general-use discord groups, but I don't use discord much so have only visited them a few scattered times.)
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Ditocoaf wrote: 5 years ago
SAJewers wrote: 5 years ago I should probably correct myself: while some never registered on the talkever, some used to frequent the talkhaus but don't anymore (or just lurk)
Also, some use the talkhaus! I do, for one. Don't make the mistake of thinking of "the people active on the patreon discord" as all of "the people who chip in to rao's patreon". The former is just a subgroup of the latter.

(I'm technically in both the patreon and the general-use discord groups, but I don't use discord much so have only visited them a few scattered times.)
Yeah, I meant patrons who don't use the talkhaus. Sorry, I worded that badly.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

I'm a little bit surprised raocow's never actually lped one of those yet. It's not his usual genre of game but they're the exact sort of ridiculous he likes.
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

So I think I mentioned this game a while back, but a friend of mine kickstarted this singing adventure game called Wandersong back in 2016 and it just released last week on Steam and the Switch. I haven't gotten around to playing it myself yet, but it seems like the game's getting good reviews and my brother's been having a lot of fun with it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/530320/Wandersong/

Edit: Started playing it, can now confirm it's really good
Last edited by Rixithechao 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

play luigi's mansion you cow-ard
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
TheFinalSentinel
Low rates,%Percent%signs%, I dunno
First name: £ٌœ'ƒھ‡ح¼円Qف-‹";ôىù♪ïظ§»ھ
https://thefinalsentinel.talkhaus.com/

Post by TheFinalSentinel »

So Iji apparently got two new endings early last year.

I might be way behind the curve here, but any plans to pick Iji back up to do them at some point?
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I mentioned that in the original Iji topic. But the biggest change is the Pacifist weapons. This changes the strategy away from "Take rockets to the face and kill everyone with splash damage"
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
LatexHydra

Post by LatexHydra »

I've posted about Massimo here before, but don't think I did it justice describing it. This hack is an underated gem, and a lot of people seem to overlook it, because of certain reasons. There's only 1 other LP of it on youtube, which is mostly negative about the game. It has a really empty and errie atmosphere to it, which the music helps with tons. It plays more of like a metroidvania type game, or puzzle game, than it does a traditional platformer, but it does contain a bit of platforming. It's also pretty short I belive. I dunno, I could just be wearing nostalgia goggles, but I think there's really something special here.
ImageImage
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

mostly negative? can I ask why, do you think ?
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
LatexHydra

Post by LatexHydra »

For mostly SMWCentral-y reasons I feel, like "there's cutoff" or "grammar errors". "too empty" may be a little true, but it works really well with the atmosphere the hack is aiming for. I think that its just something that needs a certain mind for appreciating. it's kinda one of those "experience" type things imo. It might not be for everyone, but for me, the whole atmosphere of the hack and low fidelity aesthetics really tickle my fancy. A more polished hack, that most people will agree is good is like a song you'd hear on the radio, high production value, more appealing to generally most people, where massimos sort of like some super niche genre like I dunno, harsh noise or something, that only the most hipstery hipsters would enjoy.