(shouting)

Wario Land 3 - With input from Samus

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
tangy
🍊
Pronouns: any

Re: Wario Land 3 - With input from Samus

Post by tangy »

J. J. W. Mezun wrote: 5 years ago ol'
'gain
e'en
'splain
li'l
'bout
o'
'cause
o'er
You don't have to use as few syllables as possible when typing. Your insightful wario land 3 comments are not the u.s. national anthem
raocow wrote:I am being shot at, and I am being advertised petrol at the same time. We must be in America.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Jesuiscontent wrote: 5 years ago I got some vivid flashbacks of 10-year-old me being utterly confused at that minigame after doing pretty much exactly what raocow did and making Wario faceplant repeatedly.
It took me until today's episode to actually try and parse that sprite and figure out it's Wario laying on his face with his legs in the air. As a kid it always look like he turned into some weird blobby mass and his legs were a giant tuft of hair (his leg twitches and it looked like the hair was flapping)

Speaking of misunderstanding sprites, I always saw the overalls as like a weird alien bug thing where the buttons are eyes and the suspenders are antennas
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arctangent »

Ashan wrote: 5 years ago It took me until today's episode to actually try and parse that sprite and figure out it's Wario laying on his face with his legs in the air. As a kid it always look like he turned into some weird blobby mass and his legs were a giant tuft of hair (his leg twitches and it looked like the hair was flapping)
This reminds me how as a kid I thought that the professor in Wario Land 4 was actually some white-skinned, peach-haired monster woman that was really vain ( i thought the magnifying glass was a mirror ).

Also in Sonic Advance, when Amy was recovering from her faceplant attack, I thought her face was bulging uncontrollably like a bunch of cartoon bruises, not that she was rubbing the dirt out of her eyes.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

To this day I still see bullet bill sprites as having both of their eyes visible on one side of their face like a picasso drawing
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

I'm trying to think of games with an actually engaging golf mini-game (where the main game has nothing to do with golf).

Maybe Dark Cloud 2? I remember enjoying Spheda in that.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

The golf minigame is insanely annoying. It's not too hard to get "good" at it, but it's never FUN.

Also I truly hate the Volcano's base level. The constant running back to the slopes if you mess up a single too-tight button input drives me insane. Especially if you're going for all coins.
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

i think gbc mario golf has a pretty good golf sub-game between all the walking around and talking to people, which is the real meat of the game
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Ashan wrote: 5 years ago

Speaking of misunderstanding sprites, I always saw the overalls as like a weird alien bug thing where the buttons are eyes and the suspenders are antennas
I get you, personally I always thought it was a bunny (with the ears being the suspenders) lol

raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

not gonna like my first second impression was also some kind of creature, but I understood it before I said anything
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Implo

Post by Implo »

Ah, it's amazing. raocow managed to figure red chest so quickly, that it's scary. The first time I played, I lost all the money on this cursed golf minigame without figuring out how to play it. And when I figured it out, it took me 15 min to get a key. It would be better to put golf controls and ladder controls into tutorial. These things are absolutely necessary to progress, but they aren't very obvious.
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

You'd think they would've at least done something like this to introduce people to how basically every golf game works if they had never played any. Seems strange that a Nintendo game of all things didn't help you out on this one haha.
But alas, it could be figured out quickly enough.
Attachments
golf.jpg
golf.jpg (11.13 KiB) Viewed 4034 times
ImageImage
Kitsune Zeta

Post by Kitsune Zeta »

I had a post prepped for today, but Bean decided quoting the game manual counts as spoilers. So I won't post it.
bbbrrr_it_cold
Always ambivalent, always lurking...
First name: Quagsire

Post by bbbrrr_it_cold »

Voltgloss wrote: Some folks specifically don't read manuals because they don't want the manual to spoil anything about the game. Some game's manuals include puzzle spoilers, very obvious foreshadowing of future events/items/bosses/whatever, and other stuff that someone wanting a blind playthrough would prefer to avoid. So, I think that instead of forcing the manual's content on them in an open post, it's better to explain that (i) you're giving a tip that's from the manual AND (ii) put it in spoilers in case your audience doesn't want to read it.
So, I initially decided against making a post about this last night, but after seeing this:
Kitsune Zeta wrote: I had a post prepped for today, but Bean decided quoting the game manual counts as spoilers. So I won't post it.
I feel like I should.

I agree with the idea that, if something in the manual could be considered spoilers, it being in the manual shouldn't give it a free pass. Because game manuals can spoil games. And if a game would properly teach you about something, the manual shouldn't need to spoil it. I remember when I was much younger, I had a game where there was this super neat mechanic that was introduced in a pretty cool way. And it had no impact on me because the game manual pointed it out hours before you could encounter it in a boring way. And it isn't like the manual offered anything that the game couldn't have. The manual simply said something along the lines of "some day, you'll get this. it'll do these things and here's how to do them." And it did kill the reveal the game obviously had in mind.

That and, c'mon,

ispoilering isn't difficult guys

I have a twitch (where I try to stream most Tuesday and Friday nights): (Don't watch it)
I have a youtube (currently only with stream highlights): (Don't watch it)
I have a twitter (where I say just about nothing): (Don't follow it)
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

Maybe this conversation would be easier if we took the word "spoiler" out of it. Un-asked-for advice is a thing we disapprove of. Please put your advice behind bbcode tags that make viewing the text optional, so people can decide whether to accept your offer of help.

Forum feature request: [hint][/hint] and [ihint][/ihint] tags,
that function exactly like spoiler tags, but we can ask people to use them without getting bogged down in arguments about things not being spoilers.
Last edited by Ditocoaf 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Updated the Flowchart. Don't worry, this is as large as it's going to get for these update posts. Next time I'll have the top of the image start lower down. Or maybe I won't include an image at all, who knows. Really depends on what treasures raocow gets next.

I originally had small images next to the treasures, to indicate which ones are behind Bosses, and the Golf Minigame. But then I organized everything, and made the gaps between side by side treasures to small to squeeze anything between them. And still look good.
Then I had the (hopefully) brilliant idea to just change the background. I hope it still looks good?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Ditocoaf wrote: 5 years ago Maybe this conversation would be easier if we took the word "spoiler" out of it. Un-asked-for advice is a thing we disapprove of. Please put your advice behind bbcode tags that make viewing the text optional, so people can decide whether to accept your offer of help.
I feel that the notion of spoiler does matter and I wouldn't say it's as simple as unasked for advice.

I don't think things really come down to such a strict and absolute statement. It realIy depends on the nature of what's being played and the current situation of it. If the player is having a rough day over something that should be communicated after the video comes out, it may not be openly asked for, but the video can be practically asking for it. It's natural to share input on what went wrong or was not grasped in terms of strategy or point. This has been ongoing in the Megaman thread without much problems.

The real crux of the discussion is for people to be considerate and tone things down, using their discretion to be safe. Maybe what could help is unpacking things gradually as the game progresses instead of unloading the equivalent of an instruction manual right at the beginning.

P. S. I do agree that what's in the manual can still be spoilers; not many people go look for a manual if they're playing digitally instead of buying a physical copy like the old days. Instead of posting manual content without spoilers, the better thing to do is to link to the manual for consultation if people want to use it. (Or just use the same spoiler procedures as needed.)
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Ditocoaf wrote: 5 years ago Forum feature request: [hint][/hint] and [ihint][/ihint] tags,
that function exactly like spoiler tags, but we can ask people to use them without getting bogged down in arguments about things not being spoilers.
Or people could not be so literalist that they are unable to use a function if its behind-the-scenes name doesn't exactly describe their precise intention. Kafkaesque adherence to procedure tbh
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
tangy
🍊
Pronouns: any

Post by tangy »

this thread is a mess

wario likes money

raocow wrote:I am being shot at, and I am being advertised petrol at the same time. We must be in America.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Ditocoaf wrote: 5 years ago Maybe this conversation would be easier if we took the word "spoiler" out of it. Un-asked-for advice is a thing we disapprove of. Please put your advice behind bbcode tags that make viewing the text optional, so people can decide whether to accept your offer of help.

Forum feature request: [hint][/hint] and [ihint][/ihint] tags,
I think a better term might be "Backseating".
bbbrrr_it_cold wrote: 5 years ago And if a game would properly teach you about something, the manual shouldn't need to spoil it.
On that note, if I may:

If a game downright requires you to read the manual to teach you something, then the developer has done a bad job in either explaining it or making it simple to understand, since it's wholly possible for the player to not have the manual when they play it. A number of SNES games I got as a kid didn't come in a box with a manual, it came in a clamshell package with just the game and slip of paper outlining the controls (and maybe a one-liner on the plot?).

So yes, the game should properly teach you in-game and not require the manual to explain it (outside of the controls)
Last edited by SAJewers 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

tangeruse wrote: 5 years ago this thread is a mess

wario likes money

GRRRRR SPOILERS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!12
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Kitsune Zeta wrote: 5 years ago I had a post prepped for today, but Bean decided (this) So I won't post it.
Well, raocow doesn't have access to the manual, and the post was marked with peeps getting annoyed at both yours and the other one I took care of. At least I didn't outright delete it. Just put it in an ispoiler box, and don't worry about stuff!
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

After seeing rao play the Golf minigame, I wonder how'd he fair with Mario Golf (64)? I remembered the first time I play Mario Golf, I'd mash the button, and the ball gets shot sideways. And be confused on why my character was disappointed with a score of +8.

As an aside, personally, I find the ispoiler stuff aesthetically ugly. This might be one of the underlying reasons.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

Just FYI Sebby since you asked how the flowchart looks: it might just be my device/settings, but the flowchart is completely garbled on my mobile device.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Leet wrote: 5 years ago To this day I still see bullet bill sprites as having both of their eyes visible on one side of their face like a picasso drawing
I think it was only a few years ago I figured out the bullet bill sprites in SMW had arms, I always saw the flexed arm as like an angry smile.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Voltgloss wrote: 5 years ago Just FYI Sebby since you asked how the flowchart looks: it might just be my device/settings, but the flowchart is completely garbled on my mobile device.
I meant like, do the backgrounds I chose for the treasures behind bosses and Golf look okay?

I knew this would look like a mess on mobile. Sorry about that, but it would actually be harder to work with if everything is smaller. And I think harder to parse some things (unless you squint).
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica