(shouting)

Wario Land 3 - With input from Samus

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Re: Wario Land 3 - With input from Samus

Post by Crow »

hey raocow! did you know?y ou play as wario in this gamwe, i t may not be mmediately apparent tho!!!
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

talk haus sucks
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

pholtos wrote: 5 years ago
You are being over sensitive. My post there was a QoL tip that the game NEVER tells you about, or ever require you to use. Ask youself, what are the chances rao will try Down+B on a ladder, especially now?
And explaining the coloured coins isn't some earth shattering revelation. Just a hint that they are, hints. The game itself never explains them, either. Can you figure them out if you give it a long hard thought? Maybe, but rao is talking and playing a game, more important things to think about than ponder that.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

ah, yes, call everyone snowflakes, a great way to show that the fault lies in everyone else and totally not an immediately obvious asshole move

especially with the full implications of saying that after a mod had directly warned you about his very thing, that's sure to go over well
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago
pholtos wrote: 5 years ago
You are being over sensitive. My post there was a QoL tip that the game NEVER tells you about, or ever require you to use. Ask youself, what are the chances rao will try Down+B on a ladder, especially now?
And explaining the coloured coins isn't some earth shattering revelation. Just a hint that they are, hints. The game itself never explains them, either. Can you figure them out if you give it a long hard thought? Maybe, but rao is talking and playing a game, more important things to think about than ponder that.
Then say they are quality of life and use ispoilers. Let rao decide if he wants to learn about them. Otherwise don't say them.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Leet

Post by Leet »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago Ask youself, what are the chances rao will try Down+B on a ladder, especially now?
1) he would probably do it on accident at some point and it would be funny

2) you have to think about people other than yourself. from your perspective, these may be sensible things to tell a new player, and honestly maybe they are, but you are not the only source of information. your two minor tips + another user's minor two tips + another user's minor two tips = a large amount of tips indeed

3) the point is also less this specific information but trying to change the culture here so that people just hold off without being told, for the sake of future LPs such as la-mulana. you've already stated approximately 20 times your thoughts on that LP, so i'm expecting you to spoil the whole game under the excuse of "just doing him a favor" when that comes around. but if y'all could just learn to Not in the first place, we won't have to have that conversation then.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Ahh, two more reported posts. I don't *want* to have to do anything drastic, but I can tell this is seriously annoying people, so please stop with the unspoilered "helpful hints". The "spoiler" and "ispoiler" tags are your friends. Use them, and people will stop getting angry with you.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I've edited both posts that were reported to me and put them in ispoiler boxes instead of outright deleting them this time. I would ask that you all don't spoil gameplay stuff in this playthrough as it is a fresh run for raocow.

While we do talk about stuff in the Mega Man thread, it is only after the fact. In other words, talk about what was seen in the video, not what raocow didn't do. If he misses something, he misses something. Okay?
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Sebby, the problem is that when you have these games you really like (Soldexus, Iji, Wario Land games) and you create the thread, it seems like you want total ownership of the LP, and wanting to be the sole authoritative expert in the room. People have said time and again to err on the side of caution with spoilers.

Even if they are helpful hints and quality of life, if it's not urgent for him to know right away, try letting raocow experience things for himself for at least a few videos before stepping in. Don't preempt everything.

And if there's something in particular that's really recommended for him, I would suggest that you leave the tip or information in a spoiler and put a highlighted message saying "raocow feel free to read what's in these spoiler tags if you need help (or) I recommend you read this if you're (insert condition here)". I plan to do that in an upcoming LP.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Wario dies at the end
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

i agree that some of us (maybe myself included) have been overly helpful

however, the ladder thing really shouldn't be a hill you're willing to die on

at that point, IN MY OPINION, you're actively looking for something to get upset about
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

Oops! Looks like the game messed up and included some things that aren't immediately apparent! raocow might have to discover them naturally or figure them out, which as we all know isn't a normal part of playing videogames. Good thing Sebby and a couple others are here to fix the problem!
Grounder wrote: 5 years ago i agree that some of us (maybe myself included) have been overly helpful

however, the ladder thing really shouldn't be a hill you're willing to die on

at that point, IN MY OPINION, you're actively looking for something to get upset about
If that was the only thing nobody would be upset, but it was called out as a sign that Sebby's pattern isn't changing even after being practically begged to change.

We're trying to get through the point that nonobvious mechanics, and the discovery of them, are a part of videogames. Maybe Sebby likes to play his games after researching them thoroughly, but most of us like to stumble on things, earlier or later depending on happenstance. And the fight continues because Sebby demonstrates repeatedly that he refuses to accept that, or even try to adjust for the fact that many feel that way.
Last edited by Ditocoaf 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Blue

Post by Blue »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago Maybe, but rao is talking and playing a game, more important things to think about than ponder that.
yeah man definitely

when i'm watching a guy play a thing blind, i 2000% do not want him to ever have to try to figure things out on his own. it's way more important that he follows the walkthroughs provided by the users rather than

y'know

play the game blind

i mean he can play the game blind at any time ever, it's not like a first unspoilered playthrough can't be done at a later date after having beaten the game once or twice
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Abstract scenario: You are playing a game for the first time, no other context. And someone slips a minor spoiler. But if you have no other context, would you know its a spoiler?

3 things I've seen people have taken issue so far:
1) Suggestion to revisit Peaceful Village. I already stated my defense, but whatever, I've let that go.
2) Ladder thing: How is a gameplay mechanic mentioned in the official manual a spoiler?
3) Coin thing: When will this be relevant at any other time other than now? Not like mentioning it ruins the 'aha' moment. I feel if someone else mentioned this fact, there would have been no fuss.

I feel like you guys are making a mountain out of a few molehills. Of course, some of you are thinking of previous topics. I'm thinking about them too, and that is in the back of my mind when I type.

Do I have any more 'tips' planned. Exactly one, but I'm waiting for it to become relavent later. And it's more of a reminder of what he saw in WL2.
Is this last sentence vague enough, or do I need to spoiler that too?

Sorry, it took me 1 hour to think and type this post out. Goodnight.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago Sorry, it took me 1 hour to think and type this post out. Goodnight.
Sebby, think about this:

1. It took you 1 hour to think and type out this defense.
2. If you simply added ONE MOUSECLICK to each of your advice posts - a mouseclick on the "ispoiler" button - then you would never have had to spend that hour thinking and typing out this defense.
3. You therefore do YOURSELF a favor by simply putting advice under spoiler tags.

You continuously react as if you are being told not to give advice. That is incorrect. You are being asked to put advice in spoiler tags. It's literally one extra click. I don't understand why that seems to be so hard.
Sebby19 wrote: Do I have any more 'tips' planned. Exactly one, but I'm waiting for it to become relavent later. And it's more of a reminder of what he saw in WL2.
Is this last sentence vague enough, or do I need to spoiler that too?
You do yourself a favor by adding that one mouseclick to spoiler it. So, yes, I think you should spoiler it too.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago 2) Ladder thing: How is a gameplay mechanic mentioned in the official manual a spoiler?
This is a point I think is worth some extra discussion, as it has ramifications beyond this particular game.

First: Sebby, it would have helped if you had at least said up front that this "quality of life tip" is something expressly revealed in the manual.

Second: everyone else, yes, Sebby is correct that this tip is expressly revealed in the manual. For those who would like to read the manual, it's here. The tip appears on page 4 in describing the game's controls.

Third: personally, my preferred approach here is to say something like "If you want it, here's a quality of life tip about movement that is explained in the manual:

quality of life tip goes here

." Some folks specifically don't read manuals because they don't want the manual to spoil anything about the game. Some game's manuals include puzzle spoilers, very obvious foreshadowing of future events/items/bosses/whatever, and other stuff that someone wanting a blind playthrough would prefer to avoid. So, I think that instead of forcing the manual's content on them in an open post, it's better to explain that (i) you're giving a tip that's from the manual AND (ii) put it in spoilers in case your audience doesn't want to read it.
Leet

Post by Leet »

"Because this one particular spoiler is minor, You Are All Just Sensitive" is such a showing of literalism

Yes it's Ladders that are what we care about, not the users' attitudes, good reading guys. take an english class

Taking the most basic conception of the subject of discussion and going haha can't believe people care about this is so stifling, nobody is allowed to discuss anything complex without reminding everybody how they got there - actually knowing this place I doubt even that would work

Maybe forums are bad after all
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

come to discord
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

I never thought I'd ever see backseating in a youtube let's play.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

I got some vivid flashbacks of 10-year-old me being utterly confused at that minigame after doing pretty much exactly what raocow did and making Wario faceplant repeatedly.

I don't know how obvious it was supposed to be at the time (maybe it was for the japanese audience?), even though today pretty much every golf video game uses a variant of that swing bar.

Awoo
~wan~wan

Post by Awoo »

Owl Control

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

Ah, golf. One of the strangest additions to a game like this. I'm not sure I totally like it because while it's mostly harmless it is so unrelated to anything else you do in the game. Does golf even have an ingame tutorial? I completely forget if it does or not. Was it on the pause menu during a game of golf?

A very minor golf controls hint:
If you press and hold Right before your shot you can pan the camera over and preview the course before you hit the guy, allowing you to plan out your shot. This can be done before any shot, not just at the tee.
I could say more on mechanics of golf but I think I'll wait for now and see how golf goes the next time.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

i get the feeling that someone wanted to make a golf game instead but got shuffled over to this project
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
J. J. W. Mezun

Post by J. J. W. Mezun »

006. W2 The Volcano's Base - Gray

Gray fall day ~
under the canyons
stressed zen dolls.

007. N1 Out of the Woods - Red

In ol' woods,
afternoon golf with
a new cave.

---------------------------------------

Watching raocow struggle with the golf game reminds me 'gain that e'en then, newly in the 21st century, games still expected you to have read the manual, which is the only reason I didn't struggle with this golf game as a kid when I 1st played this. As raocow points out, the game doesn't 'splain how to play the golf game. This is strange, since, as raocow shows off, this game does bother to show you how to use every powerup with a detailed tutorial video. It makes me wonder why they didn't just make a li'l tutorial video for the golf game.

I'm surprised raocow complains 'bout the ( true ) arbitrariness o' having a golf game here, but not the randomness o' the memory-match or that weird # guessing game in every level o' Wario Land II. Then 'gain, maybe it's 'cause that game did it every level, while this game just drops 1 into the 7th treasure.

You have to give raocow credit for figuring out how to get to the "Volcano's Base" boss so quickly, though, as the way to get there while rolling isn't obvious. I believe it took me a while to figure out as a li'l kid.

For anyone curious, the boss in "The Volcano's Base" is a Daruma doll ( or Dharma doll ), a traditional Japanese doll inspired by the founder o' Zen Buddhism. The barrels it sits on are inspired by a Japanese board game caled "Daruma Otoshi", where you stack 4 wooden wheels with a Daruma face @ the top & try bopping the lower pieces out from under the Daruma face with a tiny hammer without causing it to topple o'er. This makes "Doll Boy", as this boss is known in English, surprisingly 1 o' the least absurd elements in this game.

Finally, an obscure, meaningless fun fact:

when you get a colored coin, its color matches the chest it's closest to. Thus, that coin he got next to the boss pipe was gray. I swear that coin always appears right there when I play this game.

Last edited by J. J. W. Mezun 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Wenn alle stehen bleiben und anstarren
und sagen, <¿Warum musst du so sein?>,
schaue ich ihnen einfach in die Augen
und sage ihnen, dass ich von Fledermäusen aufgezogen wurde.
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

That boss is so frustrating to me. Sometimes I get it perfectly on the first try. Sometimes it takes me forever to beat it because it keeps bopping me with hammers I don't notice coming.

also I see raocow did what I prefer doing to the moles, too- bopping them to death :twisted: