(shouting)

Wario Land 3 - With input from Samus

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Veruchai
Theoretically invisible

Re: Wario Land 3 - With input from Samus

Post by Veruchai »

Just want to quickly mention that I was pleasantly surprised by wario land 2 and this one looks to be similarly impressive so far.
I'm hoping and expecting this map gimmick to get increasingly complex.
Really looking forward to this LP.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

watching rao completely fail to understand how to make wario visible again for several minutes was mildly unfuriating
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Griflion
I'm gonna chomp ya!

Post by Griflion »

You told him explicitly that in N2 stuff changes after he noticed that not much changed in N1. Which isn't that bad of a spoiler but still is. I just hope that these "little advices and hints" will not turn into full spoilers/solutions.

Now you also told us/him that there's nothing to do there for a while. That even makes me wonder why even tell him to check it out again, when there's nothing left to do there. That was basically wasted time in the recent video, which would have been fine if he decided to check it out himself(could be the case, isn't clear in the video).

tangy
🍊
Pronouns: any

Post by tangy »

im nightposting

Sebby it is just better to tell raocow nothing than to use your judgement on whether what you're saying spoils a game you know inside out
raocow wrote:I am being shot at, and I am being advertised petrol at the same time. We must be in America.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Grounder wrote: 5 years ago watching rao completely fail to understand how to make wario visible again for several minutes was mildly unfuriating
It is absolutely nonintuitive, though. Playing myself I spent at least as much time in that level.
J. J. W. Mezun

Post by J. J. W. Mezun »

003. N3 The Vast Plain - Gray

Fresh, green morn ~
we can't see ourselves
'neath the clouds.

004. W1 Desert Ruins - Red

Cold fall tombs ~
the only sound is
robot whirrs...

005. W1 Desert Ruins - Gray

Bright, warm morn ~
sand grabs my ankles,
covering...

---------------------------------------
I apologize if I spoiled anything in my last comment. I figured I was vague enough about anything not already done & that the music coin thing was a quality o' life tip.

I definitely don't want to spoil anything, 'cause I'm legitimately looking forward to that classic game o' "Let's yell @ raocow through the monitor-o-rama". "If I can't get the chest while invisible for the 1st few minutes, keep trying for many minutes, e'en though I 1st came here while visible". To be fair, as raocow points out, not being able to open the chest while invisible & turning invisible by going through pipes is arbitrary, & I can see how one would have trouble figuring this out if they didn't have the luxury o' reading the manual, as I did.

Fun fact: that scientist who throws the potions, called "Mad Scienstein" in the English translation, is Dr. Arewo Shitain, the prospector from Wario Land 4 ( as well as a character from an obscure Japanese-only Game Boy game called For Frog the Bell Tolls ).

1 thing I find cool 'bout "The Vast Plain" is how it coheres to the concept o' invisibility: @ the start there's a cloud enemy, Teruteru, who grabs your face & makes you unable to see your surroundings, which is only a detriment, & then you have potions that turn you invisible, — the exact opposite — which is usually a boon.

These subtle twists from good to bad o' status effects based on context is why I prefer the invincibility o' Wario Land II & 3: it completely o'erhauls the idea o' "getting hit" so that there is no true concept o' getting hit. E'en getting stunned by a Spearguy can be beneficial in some rare cases. It also better fits the idea that getting hit can sometimes be good as it makes getting hit less punitive, a problem that Wario Land 4 had ( which, interestingly, raocow complained 'bout then, too, despite his claim now that health would be better ): Wario Land 4 wasn't able to distinguish well which enemies you should let hit you & which you shouldn't.

I should also add that, as I think somebody's already mentioned ( I think raocow himself, actually ), wasting time is ultimately all traditional death in video games does, anyway, & in most games it's far mo' time-wasting than Wario Land 3's limited version, & that the slowness o' the zombie status effect isn't tied to that. E'en when you're s'posed to be zombie & succeeding @ the game, the zombie's slow.

'Cause "The Temple" only tells you what level to try next, not what specific treasure, I've ne'er been sure whether the game considers the gray or red treasure o' "Desert Ruins" to be the 4th treasure in sequence. I will note that, 'cause o' how the levels are laid out, if you get a treasure per time-o'-day change, you'll naturally start "Desert Ruins" @ night, where you get the red treasure. I don't know if this was done on purpose, to subtly show off to the player how nonlinear the game can be, e'en with the treasure colors.
Last edited by J. J. W. Mezun 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Wenn alle stehen bleiben und anstarren
und sagen, <¿Warum musst du so sein?>,
schaue ich ihnen einfach in die Augen
und sage ihnen, dass ich von Fledermäusen aufgezogen wurde.
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

It's fun watching raocow learn how to play the game on his own :D

Tomorrow we find our first Powerup treasure, and begin the true Metroidvania-ish-ness of the game: BACKTRACKING TO OLD AREAS!

By the way, a fun thing to try casually, not recommending raocow do this, and I'm putting it in spoilers- only look if you honestly want to know!!
The game's collision stuff is WEIRD. If you stand at JUST the right point, do a shoulder bash at the wall, and turn around at literally the last possible frame, you clip into the wall by one pixel. If, at this time, you also jump immediately, you "store" the clip. At the apex of your jump, turn back around. If you did it right, and the wall's low enough (just barely out of the reach of your jump), you will suddenly be on top of it. You can use this to get N2 A Town in Chaos Red at the very beginning of the game, when it's normally a midgame treasure! But wait, where's the Red Key? This only gets you access to the chest... Well, you know that room raocow kept trying to jump on the enemies to get to the top of, where there's a donutman up top? If you stand up there and jump at the proper time, you can actually catch a donut even though you were intended to get up there to get one! If you cleared out the lower part of the stack of blocks, you can then smash the solid blocks with Fat Wario, and down there lies the Red Key. Surprise, you just got a treasure early! Of course, it does nothing yet- it triggers with another treasure you don't have access to until much later! But you can use this clip on many different walls, and it's instrumental to the any% speedrun of the game! It's a pretty cool thing to try out!
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by FourteenthOrder »

SAJewers wrote: 5 years ago i have a feeling we need 60fps
No, that's just how it works. Completely invisible to the player, just with occasional flickers into visibility every few seconds and dust from jumping and dashing still visible.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Paragraph wrote: 5 years ago
Grounder wrote: 5 years ago watching rao completely fail to understand how to make wario visible again for several minutes was mildly unfuriating
It is absolutely nonintuitive, though. Playing myself I spent at least as much time in that level.
i mean, it would've taken a while to figure out if he hadn't already done it like literally a minute before :P
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

Griflion wrote: 5 years ago You told him explicitly that in N2 stuff changes after he noticed that not much changed in N1. Which isn't that bad of a spoiler but still is. I just hope that these "little advices and hints" will not turn into full spoilers/solutions.

Now you also told us/him that there's nothing to do there for a while. That even makes me wonder why even tell him to check it out again, when there's nothing left to do there. That was basically wasted time in the recent video, which would have been fine if he decided to check it out himself(could be the case, isn't clear in the video).

tangeruse wrote: im nightposting
Sebby it is just better to tell raocow nothing than to use your judgement on whether what you're saying spoils a game you know inside out
Agreed on both accounts here. This game isn't so complex that we need tons of advice and hints. It's no Hollow Knight. It's really good about directing the player to where they next need to explore, and if he bumbles around inside the levels that's just what happens as a new player to the game. If he's having severe trouble with some concept in a week's time (which I doubt since again this game isn't too complicated), then we can start giving him some hints and mechanics advice.

I wanna see this charming game go unspoiled as much as possible.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

I agree with the above post and the posts it quotes.

Remember, those who want to offer gameplay advice: All that's being requested here is for you to put such advice in spoiler tags. That's literally one extra mouse-click.
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago Erh-hmm

-raocow already noticed the day-night changes, so not a spoiler.
-He has no reason to return to the Peaceful Village naturally, for a while. Let alone regrab the Grey Key.
-Peaceful Village is a standout example of the day-night cycle. Best see it now, than later. But its just a suggestion

I didn't spoiler because none of that IS, in my opinion. People are reading too much into things, jeez.
Not to get too involved, but I'd just like to bring up something you seem unaware of- namely, that your opinion of what is or isn't a spoiler differs greatly from the commonly held opinion. And unfortunately, it's not the speaker's opinion that determines whether they're giving out spoilers, but that of the listeners.
Take to heart the knowledge that your post was actually reported, and simply err on the side of caution in the future.

Unrelatedly, this is my first time in the thread and I gotta say: I love what you're doing with the first post. That's gonna be so cool.
I don't really get it but okay
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

Voltgloss wrote: 5 years ago Remember, those who want to offer gameplay advice: All that's being requested here is for you to put such advice in spoiler tags. That's literally one extra mouse-click.
Emptyquote. We have multiple spoiler options on this forum, let's use them when necessary.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Everything about the spoilers has already been said so I'm not going to add anything besides how astonished I am that this needs to be repeated in every other LP thread

Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Grounder wrote: 5 years agowatching rao completely fail to understand how to make wario visible again for several minutes was mildly unfuriating
As someone who hasn't played the game it feels incredibly unintuitive. There's no actual logic to suggest that going through a pipe is what you need to do in order to deactivate invisibility. It feels like one of those things that should wear off after a certain amount of time.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

I agree it's not intuitive, but let's cover the sequence of events again:

-manages to become visible at the wrong time and doesn't really register what he did
-after becoming invisible, struggles to figure out how to become visible again
-manages to become visible but in the wrong place and doesn't think "oh it's the pipe" rather than the area transition
-deliberately avoids jumping down into the area with the pipe that made him visible before, and even says that he's not jumping down there
-eventually goes "I think I turned visible after that guy pushed me down in the pit" and then theorizes that it's the pushing that did it, not something that happened in the pit

I mean, yeah, I get that he wasn't really paying that close attention, but that doesn't make it less painful to watch that happen when you know what he should be doing.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

As a viewer I was totally lost too and it's not the first time the game's taught an unintuitive mechanic by force so far, really
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

There was a point where he was hopping over the pits trying to figure out what to do and he goes "well I don't want to fall down there" and I pulled out my phone and started screwing around cause I knew we were gonna be here for a while
Zach808

Post by Zach808 »

Ah, the memories of me trying to find out what to do in this game. It's all flooding back. I remember faffling about trying to find out how the invisibility worked too.

I also could not figure out duck jumping as a kid, so I spent hours trying to get the desert daytime key just charging at the wall.
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

Ashan wrote: 5 years ago
There was a point where he was hopping over the pits trying to figure out what to do and he goes "well I don't want to fall down there" and I pulled out my phone and started screwing around cause I knew we were gonna be here for a while
lmao same
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Updated! Started a legend for different categories of treasures.
Everything is coming along nicely. Once the legend is completed, I'll be able to spit these out sooner, instead of making temp alterations to the master flowchart.

Until the flow chart becomes more complicated later on, because of course it will. Every metroidvania opens the sandbox eventually.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Kitsune Zeta

Post by Kitsune Zeta »

Apparently quoting the fucking manual is spoilers. Fine then.
Last edited by Kitsune Zeta 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

Kitsune Zeta wrote: 5 years ago Right, so here's a couple things that may not be immediately apparent
Well we can't have that now can we. Good thing you're here to fix Nintendo's terrible oversight.

[this post has been edited to contain 5% less sarcasm]
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Kitsune Zeta wrote: 5 years ago I actually had a bit more that I was gonna say here, but I think that would be better suited for tomorrow's video (unless raocow gets hammered by the game too much and ragequits on the very next level, which I really don't see happening.).
Or you could just listen to everyone else and not do this thing no one wants.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Sebby19 wrote: 5 years ago Since you figured out how to climb off ladders, Can

Strangely, We
Kitsune Zeta wrote: Right, so here's a couple things that may not be immediately apparent Not
Give him info he doesn't already know? Let rao figure stuff out. Didn't I ask this on day one? Come on now.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P