(shouting)

HOLLOW KNIGHT - Blessings

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
First name: Violet
Pronouns: she/her

Re: HOLLOW KNIGHT - The Deadly Mantis

Post by 10204307 »

You say you want more magic, but the you never use your hadoken as your first choice on enemies who consistently hit you.
You're forgetting that soul is used to heal you as well, not just for magic. Having Soul Catcher equipped means you can heal much more often.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

raocow wrote: 5 years ago hmm, this is the second time now where the map makes it look like I've done a room when I didn't
the map system is a bit weird but if you don't recognize a place you haven't been there
i don't know why it sometimes fills in rooms all the way like that though

and yeah i agree that this game is designed for loooong play sessions rather than 15-30 minutes at a time but LPs don't work that way unless raocow wants to like, play for hours on end once a week and release the play session over the course of the week or something weird & i dunno if that'd turn out good either

i think you should at least make a habit of keeping notes (or get those markers and mark places you haven't been)
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
bbbrrr_it_cold
Always ambivalent, always lurking...
First name: Quagsire

Post by bbbrrr_it_cold »

Alice wrote: 5 years ago
bbbrrr_it_cold wrote: 5 years agoSecond, as I stated in the op, I'd be very appreciative of people keeping UNSOLICITED ADVICE to a minimum, even if it isn't spoilery.
You could also just let raocow speak for himself. If he has a problem with it he's perfectly free to ask people to cut down on it. Iso's La-Mulana 2 videos have been plagued with someone doing that shit for weeks and it's done nothing but piss people off.
1) I think WarioLand 2 is a perfect example of people being blatantly ignoring raocow lamenting about spoilers/puzzles/advice. So count me unconvinced that such a request from him would be followed to the letter by everyone.
2) I (and presumably others) would like to be able to enjoy this LP without backseaters. I should be allowed to express this want separate from it being word of raocow. And, you know what? If he wants advice, he can ask and people can give, at which point I won't complain. Until that point, however, I think it is perfectly fair to ask for it to be kept to a minimum.

I want to stress that this is a game where the exploration of builds and mechanics is just as important as exploration of the map -

and even more important whereas the dlc is concerned

. Backseating, regardless of the intention, does hamper that aspect of the game. Any player - raocow or otherwise, on the internet or otherwise - should be allowed to experiment how they want to, not how someone else demands.

As a side note...
The quoted post is my first time doing this and I intend it to be my last. As such, I'd really appreciate not being compared to someone who has been doing something similar for weeks and seems to be actively angering people (and presumably is ignoring the angering they are doing). I don't feel as though such a comparison is very fair - it, instead, feels like you taking out your anger toward that person on me.
I have a twitch (where I try to stream most Tuesday and Friday nights): (Don't watch it)
I have a youtube (currently only with stream highlights): (Don't watch it)
I have a twitter (where I say just about nothing): (Don't follow it)
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Parama wrote: 5 years ago and yeah i agree that this game is designed for loooong play sessions rather than 15-30 minutes at a time but LPs don't work that way unless raocow wants to like, play for hours on end once a week and release the play session over the course of the week or something weird & i dunno if that'd turn out good either
That might not be a bad idea actually, as it's not a rule for video playthroughs to be of daily sessions, and raocow himself had past instances of splitting a long session into videos for two days. Maybe once per two days for 1 to 1.5 hours at a time?

Edit:

I think there's a distinction between spoilers and non-spoiler advice, and it's fine for people to give advice wisely if it doesn't spoil. If people are ignoring requests from him, that's a problem of its own, but I don't think holding back advice is that good of an idea either. This game seems to be very long - howlongtobeat.com has 30-40ish hours on average, 60ish for leisure, and I don't think people would want to have the let's play drag further unnecessarily. We would want to avoid situations where the result of the game punishing him is neither fun for the player nor entertaining for viewers.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

bbbrrr_it_cold wrote: 5 years ago1) I think WarioLand 2 is a perfect example of people being blatantly ignoring raocow lamenting about spoilers/puzzles/advice. So count me unconvinced that such a request from him would be followed to the letter by everyone.
Under that logic wouldn't your post actually be even more pointless to begin with then?
As a side note...
The quoted post is my first time doing this and I intend it to be my last. As such, I'd really appreciate not being compared to someone who has been doing something similar for weeks and seems to be actively angering people (and presumably is ignoring the angering they are doing). I don't feel as though such a comparison is very fair - it, instead, feels like you taking out your anger toward that person on me.
That's definitely not my intention. My point was that raocow's an adult and can definitely speak for himself and that people who make comments like yours can very easily become incredibly annoying. The guy on Iso's videos was just a working example people could refer to if they wanted to see what I meant.
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

Even "non-spoilery" advice lets raocow skip the "play around and figure out for himself how things work and what's a strategy he likes" parts of the game.

Poking around and finding your feet is a fundamental part of videogames, and everyone does it differently. A big part of why I watch LPs at all is because thoughtful LPers make it obvious what they're realizing when, and I like to learn how people learn. If audiences just relay their collective experience to the LPer, then the LP ends up less unique.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Watching the player flail around without guidance doesn't always lead to good results, though. This is why the key words were "wisely" and "unnecessarily". You would want to be prudent in steering the advice in a direction that makes the game fun to play and the videos fun to watch.

A let's play is different from playing the game casually by yourself; the thread/comments/Discord chat makes this a collaborative experience. There's a lot less to talk about in this thread if there's no contribution to the effort. Maybe in your case it would help to ignore the advisory comments while watching and meanwhile the player could be less up front on talking about the advice that he took. Or, if he really wants to do stuff solely by himself then he can record a week's worth of videos in a longplay session, as Parama mentioned, and get feedback on his performance at the end of the week.
tirakai

Post by tirakai »

Bumbling about avoiding stuff for a couple hours due to misunderstanding a mechanic might be fine playing on your own but it's not great for a Let's Play.

Also if you're talking about uniqueness an LP that's a more collaborative effort with a little advice on the mechanics and helping keep track of places he hasn't explored yet is definitely the more unique one, Youtube Let's Plays are mostly just "I Play" these days with little to no viewer input.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I just remember others commenting on badge builds in previous games, and no one was called out on that.

I can't express 'I would choose badge A over B and C'?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

There's a middle ground here: putting advice in spoiler tags. That's in fact what bbbrrr_it_cold asked in the OP, although it's not what he asked in response to Sebby. From the OP:
bbbrrr_it_cold wrote: 5 years ago This game is about exploration - not just of the map but of the game's mechanics as a whole. So I'd like to ask that, if you feel you must post hints, tips, tricks, or advice, you at least spoiler them so anyone who would like to play along and learn these things on their own can do so.
Sebby's comment is "advice" and he didn't put it in spoilers, so bbbrrr_it_cold clearly felt they needed to respond. But I personally think they went overboard as follows:
bbbrrr_it_cold wrote: Second, as I stated in the op, I'd be very appreciative of people keeping UNSOLICITED ADVICE to a minimum, even if it isn't spoilery. Let raocow play the game as he wants, experimenting on his own as he sees fit. If he's doing something wrong, let the game punish him for it. Because, trust me, it will.
The OP did not include a request that people keep unsolicited advice "to a minimum." The OP asked that people put such advice under spoiler tags. There is a significant difference. The OP connotes "you can say what you want but just spoiler it please so people don't stumble on it unintentionally" - which I think is a fairly uncontroversial stance to take. But the latest post of bbbrrr_it_cold's comes across - unintentionally, I'm sure - as "thou shalt not speak."

I suggest we go back to folks posting what they want in terms of advice etc., but keeping it under spoiler tags.
bbbrrr_it_cold

Post by bbbrrr_it_cold »

Voltgloss wrote: 5 years ago I suggest we go back to folks posting what they want in terms of advice etc., but keeping it under spoiler tags.
In retrospect, requesting this is what I should have done and I apologize for the apparent kerfuffle I caused.
I have a twitch (where I try to stream most Tuesday and Friday nights): (Don't watch it)
tirakai

Post by tirakai »

You made that fight look incredibly easy.

I suppose the patterns are pretty simple and easily avoidable when paying attention though, it's just a matter of not panicking.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Yeah, not a bad job with that boss there. Though I wonder how things would have played out if followed your friends suggestion and get that stronger nail in the old capital (where you stopped today), first.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
underFlo
you spinda right round
First name: Florence
Pronouns: they/she

Post by underFlo »

Mantis Lords are amongst the best bosses in the game imo, patterns aren't too tough but there's little time to heal and it's great to see you figure out when to heal so quickly.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I'mma credit playing megaman for over a year every day now. once upon a time I was terrible at bosses.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Joseph Staleknight
ABCDs in Katamari Damacy when

Post by Joseph Staleknight »

Whoo, Mantis Lords with the rusty nail! That was certainly something to watch.

Anyway, I haven't gotten the Lumafly Lantern on my own playthrough yet so I might end up waiting on the Capital and the Lords until I get that.
bbbrrr_it_cold

Post by bbbrrr_it_cold »

I really like the Mantis Lords for many reasons, but one of the biggest is the music in the fight. I haven't talked about it too much (mostly because today is the first time we're really hearing any of my favorite tracks) but the music in this game is also phenomenal and really helps. Even the tracks I don't like as much help set the tone.
The Mantis Lords fight music really makes it sound like you're battling some very skilled lords. I mean, the instrumentation of all of the music in this game is fitting of what you'd expect, but I find it particularly appropriate for this fight. And earning their respect upon beating them seems perfect.

Just a shame that you didn't capitalize on that respect and get what I consider to be one of the best charms in the game.

I also really like the music for this new area, but we haven't even seen a title card for it yet so I'll save my ramblings about that until then.
Awoo
~wan~wan

Post by Awoo »

I know it's a small detail, but I just love how cowrao calls soul "milk" so much. It's a nice touch and something that's nice and endearing :3

Congrats on the Mantis Lords, watching this playthrough makes me want to play video games again myself (even though they don't exist)
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

rao i don't know what convinced you that you can't kill the bomb plants but you... you can... just saying...
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
RobinLSL

Post by RobinLSL »

Joseph Staleknight wrote: 5 years ago Whoo, Mantis Lords with the rusty nail! That was certainly something to watch.

Anyway, I haven't gotten the Lumafly Lantern on my own playthrough yet so I might end up waiting on the Capital and the Lords until I get that.
The natural progression of the game is to go straight to the capital. You won't need the Lantern for a while. You don't have to fight the Mantis Lords either (notice that, even though he did it, raocow gained literally nothing from that)

RIP early deepnest. I'm a bit sad, won't lie.

CrispyMWHC
Arrangements in fulminating vective
http://crispymwhc.talkhaus.com/

Post by CrispyMWHC »

I think the reactions I'm most excited for would have to be

his first encounter with a fake grub

Path of Pain

and

The Colosseum

It's been so nice revisiting this game through fresh eyes.
raocow wrote: 3 years ago oh SHIT

THE PROCEDURES
raocow wrote: 3 years ago I can't believe my mystical wizard friend told me to touch grass.
https://www.youtube.com/user/CrispyMWHC -- I play the games for the internet.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Parama wrote: 5 years ago rao i don't know what convinced you that you can't kill the bomb plants but you... you can... just saying...
He did kill one of the earliest ones he encountered. But I'm guessing he must figure them too 'inconvenient' to kill. Same with those shooter plants in the previous zone, doesn't want to bother playing tennis with them.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

Wow, nice job defeating the Mantis Lords with both the Rusty Nail AND not dashing a single time against them! They're such a fun boss fight and I think it was really the point in which I knew I loved the game.

Actually speaking of dashing, I noticed you don't really use dashes in combat at all. You've been making fine progress so far though so maybe you don't need them yet. I always found them to be essential in combat as gap-closers and ways to dodge attacks fast than just walking out of the way. Also to extend the duration of a jump if a particularly long attack goes along the ground. Or heck, even just to dodge enemies I don't feel like fighting like those explosive birds. That last one might be key though, since I don't think you can walk fast enough to avoid their explosion.
bbbrrr_it_cold

Post by bbbrrr_it_cold »

Re. Jiji: You are correct in your assumption that Jiji is referring to the "shades" you leave behind when you die. More specifically,

you can pay Jiji a rotten egg and he'll summon the shade to his room so you can fight it there. If you die in a bad place and aren't sure if you can safely get your geo back, Jiji is your bug. I've never used him, but that's probably because I'm stubborn.

Anyways, City of Tears is a great place. I love the music as a backdrop for your explorations of this place. Each area has two music themes - the standard one and an "action" variation that plays when you're in battle. And I think they fit really well here, particularly because I love piano heavy music like this. I can't tell you the amount of times I put this particular track on in the background while working on DnD maps.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

how 2 git rao 2 bye gud

make shiiiiiiiiiiiny
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage