(shouting)

HOLLOW KNIGHT - Blessings

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
bbbrrr_it_cold
Always ambivalent, always lurking...
First name: Quagsire

HOLLOW KNIGHT - Blessings

Post by bbbrrr_it_cold »

1 - Bench
2 - Saddle
3 - Cushion
4 - Pillow
5 - Stump
6 - Log
7 - Hammock
8 - Tire Swing
9 - Ottoman
10 - Whoopee Cushion
11 - Dead Thing
12 - Against A Wall
13 - Throne
14 - Roof
15 - Chair
16 - Bean Bag
17 - Couch
18 - Large Rock
19 - Bed
20 - Seat
21 - Under the Shade
22 - Exercise Ball
23 - Toilet
24 - Wooden Crate
25 - Futon
26 - In a Hole
27 - Swing Set
28 - Overturned Bucket
29 - Cloud
30 - Stands
31 - Picnic Table
32 - Inflatable Pool
33 - Air
34 - Floor
35 - Shoulders
36 - Bus
37 - Recliner
38 - Stall
39 - Cathedra
40 - Edge of a Cliff
41 - Lawnchair
42 - Pile of Leaf
43 - Baby
44 - Stagecoach
45 - Loveseat
46 - Pulpit
47 - Pile of Snow
48 - Nothing
49 - Desk
50 - It
51 - Some Tarp
52 - Secret Place
53 - Workbench
54 - Crib
55 - Dinner Table
56 - Beach
57 - Lap
58 - Horseback
59 - Flowerbed
60 - Overturned Milk Crate
61 - Butt
62 - Streaming Racecar Chair
63 - Uncomfortably Close to Someone Else
63B - Under the Stars
64 - In the Mud
65 - At the Observatory
66 - In a Sauna
67 - Knocked Over Opponent
68 - Coffin
69 - Hands
69B - Amongst My Peers
70 - Corner
71 - Tricycle
71B - Exercise Machine
Failures of Hallownest
Failures of Hallownest (2)
71C - Train
The Pathetic Reality of Hallownest
71C (1/2) - Cake
71C (2/3) - I Don't Know
71 (3/4) - I Don't Care
71 (3/4) - Pre-order Extra Content - Dignity
Welcome Back to Hallownest
Hallownest: Class Change
The Sadness of Halrrownest
72 - The Last

Hollow Knight is a remarkable game, easily my top game from 2017. This game quickly became one of my favorites and I've been looking forward to watching our fair raocow play through it. For those who don't know, it is a metroidvania that emphasizes exploration of a vast map as well as surprisingly intricate combat. Here's the steam link.

I think a lot of people excited to watch this (myself included) would appreciate not just spoilers but also hints and advice kept to a minimum. This game is about exploration - not just of the map but of the game's mechanics as a whole. So I'd like to ask that, if you feel you must post hints, tips, tricks, or advice, you at least spoiler them so anyone who would like to play along and learn these things on their own can do so.
As such, I'll put down one here right now.

You can down-slash as well, but only while airborne. This is a helpful technique that will become required later in the game.

Also, this is literally my first time making a thread but no one's made one yet and I love this game so please be gentle...
Last edited by bbbrrr_it_cold 5 years ago, edited 88 times in total.
I have a twitch (where I try to stream most Tuesday and Friday nights): (Don't watch it)
I have a youtube (currently only with stream highlights): (Don't watch it)
I have a twitter (where I say just about nothing): (Don't follow it)
Grounder

Re: HOLLOW KNIGHT - A Bug's Life

Post by Grounder »

At first blush, I'm kind of skeptical this will work out well.

Checkpoint starvation and unclear direction (at least for a while) don't seem like a good mix for raocow to play.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

This will be the third playthrough i've of this game (seen Pink Kitty Rose stream it, and saw quite a bit of LunarJade stream it). This'll be a fun and interesting lp to watch.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Blue

Post by Blue »

Right at the start, an easy-to-find secret with both a reward and an unreachable area foreshadowing later abilities? Tutorializing wallbreaking mechanics by sticking something you want to attack in front of a breakable wall?

Holy crap, does this game know exactly what it's doing.
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by FourteenthOrder »

I impulse bought the game halfway through the video. I knew nothing about this game at all prior to this and I'm looking forward to this.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

love to get to my goty 2017 not long after my (likely) goty 2018
i actually need to replay this myself since i haven't touched it since before there were any expansions so i have even more of the game to uncover now

please for the love of god do not bother with the delicate flower quest though rao omg...

i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

That one early enemy raocow thought did massive damage to him actually only did 1hp. raocow lost his temp health when he used the save.
Which is a really weird, and outright dumb design choice. Really.

raocow must have a really narrow field-of-vision when he plays games. You think something noticeable like a change in the HUD should be readily apparent to some people.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

One thing I want to say is: raocow characters have a lot more to say. After you talked to them do it again and more dialogue will appear. Do it until the character repeats their lines.
[ img ]http://www.loadthegame.com/wp-content/u ... 4jun14.jpg[/ img ]

Night comes and with it terrible horrors.

The hunt begins!
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

I'll probably be avoiding the comments and thread for this series, because this game is super hyped up and I expect half the audience has already played and seen twelve LPs of the game already. But this looks like it'll be a fun LP, so I'll pop in to say hi as this ride gets started! I
underFlo
you spinda right round
First name: Florence
Pronouns: they/she

Post by underFlo »

okay but can we talk about how raocow uttered the words "sans undertale" this just seems so bizarre to me like which alternate dimension did i planar shift into
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

just spent too much time on saltybet's chat lately
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
tirakai

Post by tirakai »

I recommend getting into the habit now of sitting at every bench as you go past them and not waiting until the end of the episode before making a new checkpoint (unless you don't want to respawn there for whatever reason).

I know it was safe this time but you're going to be put back quite far sometimes if you keep just running past them without resting.
RobinLSL

Post by RobinLSL »

Who else is hoping for

early Deepnest

?
First name: Violet
Pronouns: she/her

Post by 10204307 »

I'm hoping for

early Brooding Mawlek. Like, pre-Greenpath at least. He already figured out spike jumping, it could happen!

Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

i was super worried when rao entered the room where you have to spike bounce because that's a thing a lot of people get stuck on but nope he figures it out immediately

i also second

early deepnest

because it would be amazing/a total disaster

also yes pretty much everything in the map store is the first stuff you wanna get, the map marker & quill especially
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Parama wrote: 5 years ago i was super worried when rao entered the room where you have to spike bounce because that's a thing a lot of people get stuck on but nope he figures it out immediately

i also second

early deepnest

because it would be amazing/a total disaster

also yes pretty much everything in the map store is the first stuff you wanna get, the map marker & quill especially
of course he did

this is shovel knight's sequel
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I guess raocow used the knowledge of bouncing off that shield to try slashing the spikes. Good on him! It would have taken me a little longer to figure that out.

I wonder how Hollow Knight ties into Shovel Knight. So far, it looks like a stealth sequel.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

Well, raocow's already basically caught up to/surpassed what I've gotten to in the hour and a half I've spent on this game up to this point (I hadn't even found the non-map shop guy yet), so...now I get to decide how much I care about spoilers.
bbbrrr_it_cold

Post by bbbrrr_it_cold »

The last two things in the map shop - the custom markers - are from one of the DLCs because man did people request those for a while. I've got a good (enough) head for maps, so I've never really had that much a need for the compass. It is still really useful when you're trying to learn the maps. I just went without it...somehow.
On my first playthrough, I accidentally did

early Deepnest

and it was one of the most stressful and tense things I'd ever done. It is also part of what made me truly fall in love with the game.

A brief note on talking to npcs: in addition to them having multiple lines of dialogue, going behind a shopkeeper (or talking to the stag when on the ground instead of on the platform) will yield additional dialogue as well. The stag, in particular, has a new thing to say at just about every location.
I have a twitch (where I try to stream most Tuesday and Friday nights): (Don't watch it)
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Awoo »

Man, this is the coolest Shovel Knight expansion.

Dumb joke, I know, but I couldn't resist

In all seriousness, though, I'm really looking forward to this. It's super pretty and looks like a bunch of fun :3
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Well as annoying as it was to watch raocow blatantly ignore what Cornifer said when he first encountered him about the map shop it was at least hilarious to watch it come back to bite him in the ass this video. Cornifer mentioned that his wife sells a compass.
Sebby19 wrote: 5 years agoraocow must have a really narrow field-of-vision when he plays games. You think something noticeable like a change in the HUD should be readily apparent to some people.
He doesn't really seem to pay attention to most of what's going on when he's lping. He seems to focus his attention one one small point on the screen and misses the rest. Or doesn't even look at the screen rather frequently judging by how often he comments that he got hit because he wasn't looking at the screen.
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

Just so know you, you can also talk to shopkeepers without buying things by walking past where it says "SHOP" to where it says "LISTEN".

You can also return to Dirtmouth from the well at any time just by going to the bottom of the well and pressing Up.

Also, be on the lookout for signs, they are not merely decorative. The Stagway signs are very distinctive and obviously one of the biggest things to seek out when exploring (you can also talk to The Last Stag by stepping off the travel platform and speaking to him that way). The hot spring you started from today was also called out on a sign, as was some other thing you passed by today.

This game was one of my favorite gaming experiences this year. Looking forward to seeing you explore its depths.
underFlo
you spinda right round
First name: Florence
Pronouns: they/she

Post by underFlo »

10204307 wrote: 5 years ago I'm hoping for

early Brooding Mawlek. Like, pre-Greenpath at least. He already figured out spike jumping, it could happen!

dang you were spot-on
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
tirakai

Post by tirakai »

The sketched lines in the centre of the map are from the rough outline of the area you bought from Cornifer, you haven't actually been there yet.
Last edited by tirakai 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
bbbrrr_it_cold

Post by bbbrrr_it_cold »

I hate Mr. Brooding Mawlek. Out of all the early game stuff, he's the one thing that I could just never wrap my head around fighting well. Good on you for persevering through that (and getting there in the first place).

Re. the map:this will become more obvious later, but the areas that look more hand-drawn, such as that large head, are areas that Cornifer has mapped but you haven't been to. I get how this is a touch confusing, but think of it like a zelda map. The rooms are there and they get colored in when you actually visit them yourself.
EDIT: the one time I don't check to see if new posts happen...
Alice wrote:
Sebby19 wrote: 5 years agoraocow must have a really narrow field-of-vision when he plays games. You think something noticeable like a change in the HUD should be readily apparent to some people.
He doesn't really seem to pay attention to most of what's going on when he's lping. He seems to focus his attention one one small point on the screen and misses the rest. Or doesn't even look at the screen rather frequently judging by how often he comments that he got hit because he wasn't looking at the screen.
Missing that specific thing isn't unreasonable in the slightest. Ignoring that lots of people have an amount of tunnel vision when they play games, raocow was in town. He was in a safe place. Why would he need to look at his health there? The first time he'd really need to would be when he was hit, and that's exactly what he did. I get that y'all love ragging on raocow for being unobservant, but I think you could let the dead horse go unbeaten this once.
Last edited by bbbrrr_it_cold 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.