(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
Bean
Yep.

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by Bean »

That's because X4 is the best... or at least a very good game. X2 is also pretty good, and that's the one I moved on to next. I also tried out one of those X Challenge dual boss battles. Kind of fun and reminds me of a few fights the official series has, although the enemies do have a bit more health than I'd like. Then again, so does X.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

I really despise the Icefire Treetops field in La-Mulana 2. In my opinion it's the worst field (potentially not counting any fields I have yet to reach) across either game, and that's including Hell Temple from the first game. Hell Temple had some dick moves in it but Icefire Treetops feels like one gigantic dick move.

Much of the field is covered with ice making maneuvering much more difficult. On top of this most of the enemies (other than bats which are just annoying) are fairly durable, do decent damage, and are rather difficult to maneuver around even without the ice around. Most of the rooms are fairly cramped on top of this too. Then there's all the traps and shit all over the place. Spikes, lava, instant death lava, and many of the enemies are lined up just right to knock you into one of those things. (Not to mention at least one instance of a trap where the floor falls away dropping you into the instant death lava. Wouldn't be an issue if you had any time to react but it's instant.) You also have to swim through a lava-filled passage to even reach the grail point when I have no idea where the ice cape is in this game.

I'm pretty sure more than half my deaths across my entire nine hours of play time are in this single field.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

oh yeah the icefire treetop is balls awful, the left half is about the only tolerable section of the entire area, the right half and the lower area can both heck off

i'm 17 hours in and still have yet to encounter more than 3 bosses but i've been to the majority of the fields to some extent now
and i know -where- the next boss is but i just cannot for the life of me figure out how to trigger it even though i already have the item i need & should have fulfilled all the necessary conditions? whatever game
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Alice

Post by Alice »

Parama wrote: 5 years agooh yeah the icefire treetop is balls awful, the left half is about the only tolerable section of the entire area, the right half and the lower area can both heck off
I honestly prefer Hell Temple to Icefire Treetops. At least I'm to the point where the stupid poison lava isn't quite instant death. Though with everything in the lower part being seemingly designed to get you knocked into the lava, that kinda quickly adds up.
i'm 17 hours in and still have yet to encounter more than 3 bosses but i've been to the majority of the fields to some extent now
and i know -where- the next boss is but i just cannot for the life of me figure out how to trigger it even though i already have the item i need & should have fulfilled all the necessary conditions? whatever game
I've beaten two guardians now and know where a third one is. I have no idea what I have to do to be able to survive the intro before the guardian even summons though. I also know where two more ankhs will be but don't have the items necessary to trigger them. I still have three spare freaking ankh jewels though.

Finally spent one only to immediately find an additional one afterwards... I made a crap load of progress today but I feel like I've accomplished basically nothing. Explored two entire new fields as well as large swathes of a few others and still have no idea where I should go. I did find an easter egg though:
https://i.imgur.com/zpJEnEg.png
Location of it:

I believe it's the spot directly under the Yggdrasil entrance of Icefire Treetops on the map. You enter it from the upper left side from a room that has a bunch of vases along the top of it.

Not embedding because you can probably guess what field it's in if you see it. I don't know how to get any of those rooms to work though. I have three of the associated apps and whether they're equipped or not (including equipped by themselves) the rooms are just empty.

Spoilered list of approximately what I accomplished today though:
Current equipment

Upgraded to chain whip, got the gale fibula, defeated second guardian and got the scalesphere and the necklace from Alsedana (or that might've been the face thing above the crystal skull, I got the necklace two spots over from the grail too though) for it, got the rapier, got rolling shuriken, got caltrops, bought the pistol, Vajra (whose effect I'm actually not certain of), I think I got the power gloves this session, the valkyrie outfit, and the second sigil.

I found the Annwfn guardian, located the ankh rooms in Icefire Treetops as well as the Hall of Malice, got several apps including snapshot, and got the first three mantras and fifth one despite not even having the Djed Pillar nor having any idea where to obtain it.

I also discovered that the ice giant whatever field appears to be two separate fields. I have the map for one side and pretty much explored it and then through the Blood Corridor you can reach another one which has a yeti, an unkillable ice lady, and then in the next room over an unkillable miniboss. Pretty much completely explored the Immortal Battlefield (I think I know where the ankh room for that is but I wasn't really paying attention so I could be mistaken), the Gate of the Dead I think it's called (though the tablets said there's two guardians and I've only discovered one. I also have no idea how to solve the ankh puzzle there but I think I did locate the ankh room which I suppose makes four ankhs I know the locations of if these two are accurate), and I'm assuming that past the cavern where I got the valkyrie outfit and one of the mantras there's an explorable area, though it's pitch black at the moment. I also discovered an area in the upper/upper right of Icefire Treetops which appears to have backside grail point like the Immortal Battlefield but I have no idea how to reach it. There's super fast currents of ice water in the way.
I really have no idea where the hell I should even be going at this point though.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Did a run through of X5 using exclusively Zero. He's kinda insanely overpowered for every boss except for the black devil thing you fight in one of the final stages. I was able to run through all of the final stage, boss rush, and Sigma in one life basically just by spamming the air spinning slash thing.
I DID find levels harder with him though. Being that it's usually safer to take out the enemies from a distance but you're kinda required to fight up close with Zero (and his gun is way too slow to be of any use)

Had fun though! Now onto... X6... wooooooooooooooooooo
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

That's a very nice way the ice decided to fall there.
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Since Ashan's doing this one, I decided to join in on the fun. Got myself trapped by going the wrong way in Shark boy's stage, but there were a couple of good moments.

Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Play testing is like... Expensive and time consuming.

Don't have to fix bugs if you never find out about them!
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 5 years ago Momodora: Reverie
Scalak
SOMA
Gone back to Xcom 2 with a fresh set of mods and a sense of optimism I'm expecting to be crushed shortly :lol:

Also playing Sekigahara, the board game, against a friend via https://www.yucata.de/en
Last edited by BobisOnlyBob 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Crow

Post by Crow »

again reaching a point in la-mulana 2 where i feel like i really have a lot of stuff locked off by one item in particular and i don't even have a clue where this one is, great :lol:

but there's like, a sequence of three items i know where they are that i can all get right after i get this particular item
and it'll blow the game wide open for me again

curse you,

mysterious vase or whatever

HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

Reached Tokyo Destiny Land in Shin Megami Tensei. I don't have much of the game left but I have enjoyed the ride so far. I am Law-aligned.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Parama wrote: 5 years agoagain reaching a point in la-mulana 2 where i feel like i really have a lot of stuff locked off by one item in particular and i don't even have a clue where this one is, great :lol:

but there's like, a sequence of three items i know where they are that i can all get right after i get this particular item
and it'll blow the game wide open for me again

curse you,

mysterious vase or whatever

Honestly that's been how most of the game has felt to me so far, lol. My typical method of progression is make a little progress, get stuck for awhile and go back to every single field looking for anything I've missed, after multiple passes finally find one thing I overlooked, make a little bit of progress (all too often it's usually progress in one area which ends up leading to just a dead end), and then repeat the whole process. Like the

Djed Pillar

. I knew I needed it to progress, finally got it and started following the hints regarding places I knew I could use it, and those places basically turned out totally useless to me.

It's actually annoyed me to the point where I started doing this to keep track of everything:
This is more than just the tablets it currently shows. It also includes npcs and shops too. (Though at the moment the only field I've completed is Yggdrasil.) I'm also using it for the Dark Lord's footprints puzzle as well as interesting stuff like my diagram of the way the

Corridor of Blood

works.
Crow

Post by Crow »

Yeah I figured out the

corridor of blood

a while back and made a map but I already have it memorized anyways, haha

There's a few places with puzzles I feel like I should be able to solve but haven't yet, I need one specific item still to (I think?) activate the next boss ankh and it's the one locked behind several other items i all know how to get and know where they all are :lol:

There's also two minibosses I have access too but don't think I have the tools to defeat (one I know for sure I don't, because I know what I need, the other I'm not sure though

I've only looked up one thing so far and only becsuse I was completely stuck from making any more progress anywhere by it, don't really feel too bad about it either because it was kind of jank
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

I'm also on the La-Mulana 2 train, having played 1 almost a decade ago. It's quite the step up, but still retains some of that bullshit "charm" that the first game had - namely, the instant death traps everywhere. Spoiler of where I am so far:

Just got the Egg of Creation in the Takamagahara Shrine after killing my third guardian, and I'm pretty much lost at this point. I started rotating the Corridor of Blood and found like 3 areas that I didn't even know existed, so I guess I'll check them out. I've also solved the puzzle to unlock the Chain Whip, but there's a block in the way of it that I have no idea how to get past (looks like you need to get some sort of ability that shrinks you..?)

I also agree with the previous posts about Icefire Treetops being literal ass.
Crow

Post by Crow »

i feel like i'm again on the cusp of blowing the game wide open but at the very least i've

been dicking around the underworld for a while & making a lot of progress there, though i have yet to find the "first" gate somehow, despite knowing where pretty much all the rest are. if i can find the vase of storms or whatever i have a sequence of 3 items i can go right to getting as a result (pretty sure i know where they all are & 100% know what they all are) but that's the roadblock isn't it. i have the spike ball whip & all the sub-weapons now, though (and all the main weapons barring maybe one more whip upgrade? not sure)

i have a billion notes to go through now, though. need to find what i'm really looking for
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

I just finished Metal Gear Rising Revengeance.
Oh my goodness. What a ride.

Like it's the most awesome, stupid, brilliant, thing I've experienced recently.
I'm astounded that the game came out in February 2013 and yet touches so much on topics relevant in 2018 haha.

It's definitely the best Metal-Gear.
KTB
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by KTB »

As I mentioned in another thread, BioShock Infinite. I'm definitely super late to that party, primarily because around the time it came out I more or less had a somewhat negative impression of FPS's in general, but these games alone very quickly turned that around for me. Extremely fun game, on top of the fact that it has a surprisingly fascinating plot. I finished episode 1 of the DLC but the ending of that was such a mindscrew for me that I'm taking a brief break before finally finishing the series as a whole with episode 2.

Other than that, I'm also loving La-Mulana 2 (because I just can't stay away from whatever's trending at the moment). I don't have much to say other than that this game is every bit as awesome as the first one, and that includes the soundtrack, of course. I can't believe I'm saying this but I actually kind of look forward to the Deceased Crab LP of this just for old time's sake.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

In a brief moment of having time to play something other than Fire Emblem Heroes, my bro and I got in an hour of Go Vacation on the Switch yesterday. It's kind of funny that the island has the name Wii in it since it was on that system originally. Didn't play it back then, but it was kind of fun for what events we did like Snow Tube Bowling.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Welp, finished off X6. As expected it wasn't very good. The music is almost completely non-memorable and bland, the levels are all just like flat "run forward and kill the same enemies over and over again," the bosses seem to all be easiest if you just spam charge shots or the Z-saber on them, there's typos all over, the story makes no sense, the cutscenes are too long, the nightmare gimmick is not a fun challenge -- it's just huge inconveniences, and their idea of challenging sections are just spamming enemies in super inconvenient places (looking at you, totem pole section with annoying vertical moving hover platforms).
Infinity Majinion is the spammiest, most trash boss of possibly any Mega Man game I've played. Both fights with him I basically just stood inside the big mess of blobs and clones and out DPSed him.
And Blaze Heatnix's stage is probably the worst Mega Man stage in any game I've played. It's literally just spamming the same lazy, uninteresting mini boss over and over again. Who thought that would be fun?

They also hid the armor capsules way too well, and it seems as if you literally need the Shadow armor to beat the game or the first post-game stage you just can't get through. And it ends up putting you in a boss fight that's incredibly inconvenient to fight with the required armor. And even after getting all the armor pieces, I didn't end up wanting to use anything other than the Falcon armor (aka the STARTING ARMOR) because it had the best charge shot.

Also can i say the double-tap a direction to dash is a huge mistake? At least when you're in the air. I don't think this was just in X6 but I really noticed it getting annoying in this game. There is literally never a time where I wanted to air dash by double-tapping the direction buttons. But it kept accidentally triggering because I'm trying to precisely place myself mid-air so I double tap a direction and suddenly X flies off to the side and off a cliff or into an enemy. I looked in the settings for a way to turn this off and there didn't seem to be anything. It made me very angry on pretty much every play session.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

They didn't give you an option to disable the Command Dash/Double Tap Dash option until Zero 4 for games that have that feature. I didn't know it happens on the air dash in that one though. Yikes.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Oh is THAT why it was only a noticeable issue in X6? Cause I don't remember ever accidentally triggering the air dash in X4 or X5 but I figured maybe there just wasn't as many situations where it mattered. But that would make sense if X6 is the only one where you can double tap in the air to air dash.
Yeah, it's a horrible feature. It totally goes again the ability to precisely move yourself in midair. I was constantly air dashing into bosses when I'd jump towards them and try to position myself to hit them with the Z-saber.
Crow

Post by Crow »

i am now playing guacamelee 2

turns out it's good
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 5 years ago Gone back to Xcom 2 with a fresh set of mods and a sense of optimism I'm expecting to be crushed shortly
Finished XCOM2 on Standard - not gonna go back to it for Classic until I pick up War of the Chosen, which may not be for a while. It's good, it's just not quite as good as XCOM: EU or EW.

I started and very rapidly finished Ironclad Tactics! But it turns out the DLC is included for free now, so I'm doing the additional campaigns. Not sure I'll bother going too deep into NG+, it seems staggeringly hard and more chance-based than I'd like.

I'm thinking of playing though The Darkness and The Darkness II back-to-back after that as part of my long-standing console backlog.
Last edited by BobisOnlyBob 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Sonic Mania Plus. Been playing Encore Mode which switches up the locations of the Special Stage rings, adds more enemies, and loses the lives system for having a set of five characters that you can flip between either manually or with item boxes. Believe you get a game over if you lose all the characters, but I wouldn't know right now. Got through the first three zones without losing anyone so far.