(shouting)

24 Hour Contest #11 - design a level in 24 hours with a given challenge

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Re: 24 Hour Contest #11 - design a level in 24 hours with a given challenge

Post by Mandew »

FrozenQuills wrote: 5 years ago I love that both Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogo and AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA tied for 9th.
Who knew that Mega Sad from ESA was such a good level designer
video games
Ryrir
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Ryrir »

Super Maks 64 wrote: 5 years ago SATELLITE SAGA - 28th by Caracc
Huh. I knew that name was familiar somehow...
Nice to see that some people of the original ASMT team are still around!
this is getting laundromatic
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker

Post by Super Maks 64 »

SUPER MARIO YOSHI RACING -2000- EXTREME AWESOME - 22nd by GlitchMr
Score - 26,5 -10 points penalty for using custom blocks
idol

Fun/Gameplay: 18/25

It’s worth noting this entry was initially disqualified due to breaking the custom block rule. However, because this level was begun before that rule was formally written, it was instead penalized. It’s a really well put together level, with a succinct gimmick and fun execution. I think some of the sections could have benefited from being a bit more interesting than rapidly hitting On/Off, but it was good otherwise.

Sprite Usage/Creativity: 17/20

Utilizes the sprites well, each sprite adds to the highly illegal and controversial On/Off Yoshi Gimmick very well, the only setups I felt were less interesting was the bouncing on a Jumping Grinder early on to hit an On/Off block with real sticky time – those things clip through you like a motherfucker half the time.

Aesthetics: 5/5

Colors are nice. It’s good.

Total: 42/50

Tob

17 / 15 / 03 -> 35 (-10 Penalty)
The level did some good stuff with both the thwimp and the grinder together with the on/off blocks.

Sinc-X

F: 20
C: 15
A: 3
Total: 38/50

Comments:
This is fun, however the sprites feel like a complement to the actual star of the level (the blocks [and Yoshi]) rather than being the stars themselves. Really creative in general though and I'd love to see a longer, more in-depth version of this. Also, just as a note, you can totally skip the last section by jumping up top with Yoshi if he falls down.

Erik

Fun/Gameplay: 15/25
Sprite Usage/Creativity: 14/20
Aesthetics: 4/5
TOTAL: 33/50
Comments:
A pretty good fast-paced “puzzle” level. I really like the usage of the sprites focused in a level of this style, pretty unique. Some really low tolerance for failure on some of these obstacles, though; for instance, the last grinder obstacle in the second section. The sprites feel mostly well used, though the stationary magikoopa could’ve seen some more interesting setups. Got to add that I felt it was pretty short, and a part of me feels like you could’ve tried adding some extra setups without making the level too long.
Cloudy Treetops - 17th by toad64
Score - 29,5
idol

Fun/Gameplay: 14/25

This is an average, rompy quaint level. It’s peaceful, primarily marred by the inclusion of the Pyro Guy who does not do the feeling of this level too well, but dealing with the Pendulum Maces and Shotzo with the NSMB Propeller Block is pretty fun. I particularly enjoyed screens like 05 & 14. However, screen 0E was probably the levels worst setup, as the cluster of the Pendulum Mace, a Green Koopa, a Pipe-Dwelling Pipe Blaster and a Pyro Guy made it a tight and annoying setup to wait through.

Sprite Usage/Creativity: 11/20

The Propeller Block pairs well with the Shotzo, and while the large expanses were often visually bland, it was satisfying to jump over them and have them shoot under the player. Pyro Guy is a tough enemy to utilize well, and I don’t feel as if this level utilized it well really. Pyro Guy works better in larger spaces, not really cramped in tunnel-areas while the player is holding a Propeller Block. The Pipe-Dwelling Bullet Blaster seemed shoehorned in, as it’s only used in a cluster of spaces in the middle of the level only to never return again.

Poor Pyro Guy looks ever-most sickly. The background palette is very calm, but I think something a bit richer and dreamy would’ve done this level well. The foreground is kind of noticeably repetitive, and it wouldn’t have hurt to have included some alternate patterns for the tree. Mostly nitpicks, though.

Total: 29/50

Tob

18 / 09 / 04 -> 31
The level uses the propeller block rather nicely but it doesnt go too much in depth with it or the other sprites.
The Aesthetics are a mix between Vanilla SMW and cutting the edge of VLDC rules. The level isn't too impressive visually
but it has a certain charm that is hard to replicate.

Sinc-X

F: 16
C: 9
A: 4
Comments:
Cute and enjoyable romp; this is a nice breath of air, to just glide around without much worry, but at the same time, gliding around without much worry doesn't put this in a great position to be judged for a contest. Aside from the propeller itself there weren't a ton of things of interest, though the use of the propeller block in conjunction with the pendulums was nice and could definitely have been expanded upon.

Erik

Fun/Gameplay: 12/25
Sprite Usage/Creativity: 12/20
TOTAL: 29/50
Comments:
Kind of a weird case here. I feel like the whole difficulty of the level is trivialized by its main gimmick: the propeller block. Maybe just my opinion, but the whole level would’ve been better off without it; it would make for a better challenge. Or it’s like it was designed without the propeller in mind and that was just added as an afterthought with some sections tweaked.
Ghost in Forest - 23rd by yoshi9429
Score - 24
idol

Fun/Gameplay: 10/25

This level feels mishmashy, introducing 6 sprites in the first 3 screens, with the only real focus walking away from this level being the usage of the SMB3 Stretchs and the YI Balloons. The Stretch setup on screen 2 is incredibly paltry, and might as well not exist at all. The Wave Stream Boos are placed in areas that do not benefit the unique way they move, often escaping their seeming captivity or acting in ways that are both unaesthetically pleasing and annoyingly tedious to deal with from a gameplay standpoint. The first YI Balloon on screen 0E did not spawn the first time around, leading me to just jump to me own demise. C’est la vie huh.

Sprite Usage/Creativity: 11/20

YI Balloons are used in a way in which they exist, but that’s about it. Wave Stream Boos are used poorly (the setup on screen 05 sticks out especially), and the Sleeping Goomba adds nothing of value to this level whatsoever. The SMB3 Stretches are a bit annoying, but at least have some sort of active presence in this level and you’ve attempted to utilize them in genuinely dangerous but still fair ways. The Cloud Drops really don’t add to this much either, as you already should have an aerial enemy in the form of the Wave Stream Boos.

Aesthetics: 2/5

At first glance I had a positive feeling about this level, but quickly realized said positive feeling was just completely impacted by the song, which is pretty jamming. The forest tileset used here is not drawn well, with an incredibly irritating dirt pattern, dark as all hell outlined trees with poor shading, and a noisy uninteresting canopy. The background does not fit either with this, and, while it looks nice, the part above the left eye looks pretty janky and it’s really repetitive. That and its’ palette and the foreground palette do not complement each-other whatsoever. The dark outlined trees wouldn’t be a big issue alone, seeing as Super Mario World itself does that, but the fact that you later have trees that act as Pipes but have the same visual design to a T looks really bad. Overall: not good.

Total: 23/50

Tob

09 / 09 / 03 -> 21
The level uses all the sprites but none of them to their full potential. Also the level is really boring.

Sinc-X

F: 15
C: 10
Comments:
This one is just an enjoyable romp. The sprites are used well and are fun components, but it's not really anything new. In the part with 3 balloons in a row, the first one likes to not spawn at first which is really annoying--jumping in a hole following coins and just falling to death.

Erik

Fun/Gameplay: 8/25
Sprite Usage/Creativity: 12/20
Aesthetics: 3/5
TOTAL: 23/50

Comments:
Some good setups with the stretches and the balloons. Lesser so with the wave boo streams, which might feel annoying at times. On the other hand, the times the sleepy goombas and cloud drops appeared felt more like an attempt to just be able to say “here, I used every sprite provided” more than actually getting to use them in interesting scenarios. Design wise there really is not much to say. The cave sublevel feels really out of place, it clashes graphically with your main forest area, and makes you have to backtrack once you exit it to find another Yoshi coin. The wooden spike appearances don’t contribute really much to the level, and that’s about there is to say regarding this level.
Time to see what I lost against
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

Thanks for playing my entry :).
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

it was a joy to play, no need for thanks!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

You thought that was all I would say about this level.

Fooled you again.

Anyway, the level title and "Thanks for play!" at the end was a reference to Karoshi 2, and the level gimmick was copied from JUMP half, except instead of being puzzle oriented, it was more action oriented. The level I based this on was a really neat puzzle level, and I really enjoyed it, so I was like, what if I made it more action oriented.

The level almost was disqualified for violating the contest rules for using custom blocks. I liked the level gimmick however, so I decided to continue working on the level despite it violating the rules.

(C) 1995 COPYRIGHT on title screen is a reference to Super Mario World NES pirate.

Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

you won in my mind, in which bonus points are awarded for breaking the rules instead
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

So are there any boxes we still haven't seen?
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

Voltgloss wrote: 5 years ago So are there any boxes we still haven't seen?
If there are five boxes, I think we finally saw the last one in the video just before the break.
Super Maks 64

Post by Super Maks 64 »

munt crunge - 3rd by snoruntpyro
Score - 43,25
idol

Fun/Gameplay: 19/25

This is a really fun level with a ton of solid setups. Everything felt really fluid even until a few wonky setups in the second half, one of which I had trouble with was the Sleeping Goomba jump on screen 2. I think this level would’ve benefitted from not having a consistent ceiling, but only utilizing it in places it needed to be used. There were a few other times I bonked my head trying to platform around, and the line-guide section with the ! did not feel good to do as Big Mario. I ended up tanking that hit as I tried to spinjump the lower one and got caught on the higher one anyways. The platforming at the end felt really tight, but I didn’t die so I guess I can’t complain much.

Sprite Usage/Creativity: 17/20

Focuses on what it needs to without feeling pressured to go outside of that. The Wave Boo Streams are used well in conjunction with the moving platforms, and the Sleeping Goombas act as some mix of a Rip Van Fish and the Flurries from SMB2. I was surprised there wasn’t more 1F0 abuse, but it was a pleasant surprise. I noticed a few levels went for the “jump on a jumping up Sleeping Goomba surrounded by munchers” approach, which makes sense because it is a pretty simple setup that comes to mind. But waking them up in order to jump where they are when you’re on Line Guided Platforms, and using them in conjunction with the very well utilized Cloud Drops created a decent experience with a clear understanding of the functions of these sprites and how they can be utilized well. Also good Stretch.

They’re kind of bizarre but in an appealing way. I see no reason to dock them as everything is easy to see and not objectively bad.

Total: 41/50

Tob

24 / 20 / 03 -> 44
This level would get a perfect score in the Meme Category, if there'd be one. It introduces the Cloud Drop really freaking good.
The palettes are a little too weird in my opinion.

Sinc-X

F: 20
C: 19
A: 3
Total: 42/50
Comments:
Excellent use of the spriteset. This is probably the best use of the balloons, being such a key element, and the Cloud Drops are really smartly placed as well. Some of the Wavy Boos were a bit annoying to deal with but that's my only major complaint.

Erik

Fun/Gameplay: 22/25
Sprite Usage/Creativity: 18/20
Aesthetics: 3/5
TOTAL: 43/50
Comments:
Great usage of the autoscroller to create a fast-paced level. Was kind of scared this level was going to be frustratingly hard, but no, it really is pretty fun to play. Some of the greatest usage of all the sprites provided – except the stretch which… well what do I say regarding that cameo appearance (I didn’t subtract points for it) –. The first half starts in a strong note and if I were to complain of something it’d just be nitpicky. The second half I feel loses that strength a bit, with some assholish setups, and some ugly palettes. To pinpoint which ones I hated the most, this screenshot has the two of them. After that it regains up its pace a bit. Really loving this level overall, maybe with those setups swapped for others and with some better looks I could’ve given it The 50.
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

I'm a big fan.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

I look forward to smw contests for two reasons these days. One is the extent to which I can wallow in depressive misery as I contemplate my complete lack of inspiration. The other is MiracleWater's level, which achieves with effortless panache anything I could possible want to accomplish in a smw level. MiracleWater, like Lazy, is one of these level designers who appeared seemingly from nowhere (perhaps they sprang fully formed from the brow of worldpeace) and started making awesome levels. I had hoped raocow would be similarly beguiled, but alas! My intention of cranking some action out of that rusty mechanism, the hype machine, as I tell of a forthcoming collaborative hack by MiracleWater and the famous TASer, gbreezetas, will have to be set aside. And raocow will no doubt continue to be happy with hacks that can exist under his lowering brow unshadowed by any hint of dubiety; hacks that he is completely simpatico with; hacks, in his own bizarre word, that are his 'cheese': Hyper 6, Super Demo World, VIP 4.
dont wanna jihad no more
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

to be fair raocow did enjoy MiracleWater's CLDC entry very, very much
Mosts Awards:
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I mean like yeah I dig what he does in general, and like I've tried to say I enjoy what he did here, I just struggled with *something* that I can't idendify
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

the you tube comments are particularly bad today
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Super Maks 64

Post by Super Maks 64 »

Spinal Tap - 2nd by MiracleWater
Score - 43,75
idol

Fun/Gameplay: 16/25

Hey it’s my rip! That’s fun, right? I can give points for that, right? This level right off the bat sends fear into my soul, showing immense creativity in the first screens has a sinister undertone pertaining to me…, truth be told, Venus Flyin’ Traps and Bouncing Spinies are both some of my least favorite custom sprites made in SMWCentral. I’ve always struggled to ascertain the movement of the Bouncing Spinies…, and these boys being shot off Mount Olympus by this Piranha coward has me all kinds of feeling wrong. But, as any good judge would, giving this level a fair chance, the overall experience was fairly decent. I feel it would have made more sense to introduce the Green Venus Flyin’ Traps first, as they’re ultimately a much easier enemy to deal with. This level is designed well to keep in mind the functions of these miserable bouncing sprites, but sometimes I just found stuff a bit too chaotic to handle well. Screen 0A felt like it had maybe one Spiny too many in the wall of shit it drops on you, which bounce every which way. Screen 0E felt sort of ridiculous compared to the other setups, as not only is it spinjumping on a 16x16 sprite, but it’s spinjumping on a 16x16 sprite moving, all things considered, gratuitously quickly.

Focused and really creative in terms of the sprites used, I don’t have much else to say on the creativity because this level certainly is that. You went in with an off-the-bat vision and produced something unique.

Very pretty, but one too many miscolored blocks than I was comfortable giving a perfect score for. Enjoyed the parallax, visuals & song a lot though! Just wish you put a bit more time into fixing up the Midway & Goal Posts (both could’ve been easily and quickly fixed by just switching them to both use palette 7, lol). Also rip the vines.

Total: 38/50

Tob

22 / 19 / 05 -> 46
Great combination of the Venus Flying Trap and the Spiny Eggs. Lots of interesting set-ups. Some of them were a bit too hard and precise though.

Sinc-X

F: 25
C: 20
A: 5
Total: 50/50
Comments:
This is kind of an incredible thing being such a creative and fun level with these sprites. Everything here is challenging but fair, and super fun to do. You took objectively the worst spriteset option and let it shine, and it really paid off because this is phenomenal. The aesthetic is also nailed.

Erik

Fun/Gameplay: 17/25
Sprite Usage/Creativity: 20/20
TOTAL: 41/50
Comments:
God fuck that was Brutal, yet very fun. An interesting twist with the spiny-spitting venus traps, they ended up making for a much better obstacle than I thought they would be. The monty moles also help spicing up this level. The gimmicks and overall the spiny usage is all fantastic. I do have my complaints though: the water section I couldn’t get past without taking a hit, and putting those two venus traps in the final pipe caught me off guard the first time, forcing me to repeat all the section before (and it isn’t easy). The frustration factor might be too much for some, and at some points it got me pretty Pissed Off, but for the most part this level is fun and doesn’t exceed itself. The length is adequate for the difficulty too.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Ditocoaf wrote: 5 years agoI'm a big fan.
You look a little more like a person than a fan to me.
Leet wrote: 5 years agothe you tube comments are particularly bad today
It's Youtube, comments are basically always bad. The only exceptions I ever really see are specific individuals who make good comments or occasionally the communities for some lpers like Iso or Roahm Mythril.
gbreeze

Post by gbreeze »

morsel/morceau wrote: 5 years ago I look forward to smw contests for two reasons these days. One is the extent to which I can wallow in depressive misery as I contemplate my complete lack of inspiration. The other is MiracleWater's level, which achieves with effortless panache anything I could possible want to accomplish in a smw level. MiracleWater, like Lazy, is one of these level designers who appeared seemingly from nowhere (perhaps they sprang fully formed from the brow of worldpeace) and started making awesome levels. I had hoped raocow would be similarly beguiled, but alas! My intention of cranking some action out of that rusty mechanism, the hype machine, as I tell of a forthcoming collaborative hack by MiracleWater and the famous TASer, gbreezetas, will have to be set aside. And raocow will no doubt continue to be happy with hacks that can exist under his lowering brow unshadowed by any hint of dubiety; hacks that he is completely simpatico with; hacks, in his own bizarre word, that are his 'cheese': Hyper 6, Super Demo World, VIP 4.
Lol now that you are hyped about this hack, we'll really have to deliver :P Hopefully the delicious taste of nachos can live up to the exhilarating experience of taming a wild crocodile (we've certainly used it as inspiration lol).

I don't wanna be all negative nancy here, but the youtube comments were a bit disappointing to read. Not that I'm trying to white knight the MiracleWater level design style, cause I know it's not for everyone. Honestly, I know that the so called "jump team style" doesn't suit everyone and honestly it doesn't matter, I know it's a very particular style and we shouldn't be trying to force our style down people's throats cause that's wrong. But there's a difference between constructive criticism and complaints about the difficulty, or saying this just "isn't my style", and saying "how did this hot garbage get 2nd". The latter comes off as just rude.

I know that the judges' comments can sometimes seem rude, but in reality they are more tongue-and-cheek, humorous spur of the moment frustration. In my opinion, it's perfectly normal for you to get frustrated at a level and still enjoy it. I get the feeling that some people think you must be "all smiles" when playing a level in order for it to be considered a good level. In my experience, however, many of the levels I have enjoyed have been accompanied with expletives and anger (cough Morsel cough levelengine), only to experience great relief and satisfaction when it's all over. But regardless, the levels (usually) end up being an enjoyable experience for me. I think if someone watched me play these types of levels, they will watch a player who is impressed with the creativity, a bit frustrated with the difficulty, and very satisfied when finished. From a viewer experience, however, the creativity is experienced second-hand and thus less appreciated, the frustration is very easily and loudly communicated, and the great feeling of satisfaction is sometimes an exclusive feeling that only the player will understand. I have to wonder if this happens with raocow sometimes; he personally enjoys the level for whatever reason, but the frustration over the difficulty was manifested significantly more than the satisfaction of completing the creative and challenging level.

I'd also like to point out that this serves as a distinction between "fair" hard design (which is showcased well in MiracleWater and morsel levels) and stupid spammy nonsense design (i.e. munchers everywhere, blind jumps, etc.). There is no sense of satisfaction when spamming through a spammy muncher level. However, the immense sense of satisfaction is definitely present when completing a series of ridiculously tough and demanding, yet creative setups, but this can change depending on whether they are machine-like mechanical or naturally flowing. I think the satisfaction of completing a setup (or section) can be influenced by the creativity of the setup, the difficulty of the setup, or simply how fun it is to perform the actions. A lack of the third factor does not prevent the former two from creating a satisfying setup. It's important to note that every single player weighs these three factors with different weights based on personal preference. For many, the fun factor and difficulty factor of performing a section/setup outweigh the creativity factor; these people usually end up not being fans of "mechanical" design. In addition, some people might find a setup so creative and satisfying that it increases the fun factor; for others, the rigid/controlling design and high difficulty decrease the fun factor. Basically the tldr of this is that there's lots of different types of design, everyone is free to make whatever the heck they want because we're all romhacking nerds, and it's not cool to be a rude dude.

I have to agree with everything morsel said. In addition, I think that MiracleWater's lack of "easing the player into the gimmick" is perfectly fine in the world of romhacking. Perhaps if he was a professional game designer (and maybe he is, I mean I sure hope he is lol), than he would have to worry about easing the player into gimmicks, along with coming up with a new original character cause that pudgy plumber guy seems to already be in use.
Nao
Pronouns: he

Post by Nao »

Yep, I agree with what gbreeze and Morsel said mostly. Of course, the youtube comments have been almost entirely positive on MiracleWater's CLDC entry, but almost entirely negative on his 24h entry. This could be (and probably partially is) because of how hard those piranhas are to deal with, but then again the fishes in the CLDC entry were used in really difficult setups as well that create a similar tension. The design style of both levels is basically identical though. So I think raocow's reactions to the level play a huge role for the viewers to judge the quality of a level, while in reality, most of them probably lack the skills to complete either of those levels without tools (and they would both lead to incredible frustration) OR they are part of the niche that can actually play levels like that and the chance is high they'll have similar opinions on both.

What surprised me is the perfect score Sinc-X gave, cause he got really frustrated with the high difficulty of other entries. It's truly impressive to me that MiracleWater managed to convince a judge like that with a level like this.
Zach808

Post by Zach808 »

Those comments... Such mindless groupthink directed at a level that honestly looked pretty fun from what I saw. I feel bad for MiracleWater here, assuming he watches raocow and dares to check the comments.

I’m not saying a bad comments section is never warranted (like when Haimari stopped giving a crap when designing the Hyper VI endgame), but for a few spiny setups raocow didn’t like? Come on.
Super Maks 64

Post by Super Maks 64 »

windy hot breakfast - 1st by Moderator Lazy
Score - 44,75
idol

Fun/Gameplay: 24/25

This is a really really brilliantly put together level, each obstacle takes into consideration how the player would tackle it and felt challenging in a really great way. You really knew how to pinpoint on a few things (Tornado, Mosaic Thwimps, Nets) and get the most mileage you could out of them without creating an overly long and tedious experience. Each setup feels so satisfying to pull off – the only setup I felt was weaker was the one on screen 03 / 02, as the challenge can be easily mitigated seeing as the player is forced into spinjumping when on a Tornado, and can easily just land on the Mosaic Thwimp as if it were not an obstacle at all. The Turn Block setups near the end are very intuitive, giving the player a timeframe to perform an obstacle, but the ability to visualize how things will play out first. Overall a very very strong level, good job.

Sprite Usage/Creativity: 19/20

Pinpoint focused on what it needed to be focused on – you got the mileage you needed out of the Tornado and Mosaic Thwimp, to the point where if any other sprites were utilized here I may have questioned the level being overbearing. The Net Koopas add a nice additional challenge, and every setup you have here is a perfect blend of creative and intuitive. Sometimes less is more, huh?

It looks decent, I’d say there’s small nitpicks here and there such as the minor cutoff with the vines and blocks on top of the clouds, but the palette is really nice and cool feeling that it makes up for it.

Total: 48/50

Tob

23 / 20 / 05 -> 47
Vertical levels with rapid vertical movement are usually hard to pull off without the camera being a big burden but
this level does this really well. The color choice on the clouds is also really well and fits this challenging ascend.

Sinc-X

F: 19
C: 17
Total: 40/50
Comments:
Short but mostly fun, well-crafted and visually pleasing. Smart use of the Thwimps and tornadoes, though as interesting as some of the setups are a few of them aren't really all that nice to play--the vine in particular comes to mind as something clever and neat but something I didn't like having to actually do, and there are a couple other moments like that throughout the stage.

Erik

Fun/Gameplay: 21/25
TOTAL: 43/50
Comments:
What a fun little level. It utilizes the sprites in pretty fun and challenging manners. Level design wise, it’s really fun. A clever usage of the tornadoes and the thwimps. Most setups I felt were pretty balanced, except one after the midpoint which feels like a spike in difficulty (which drops down to normal after said setup). Some other setups had potential but didn’t see enough usage: the throw block idea could’ve been used in more ways than the one you did, and some more creative net setups would’ve been appreciated. And those hurt blocks look really ugly; you should’ve just used munchers or something else. Still, though, a pretty good level, but falls just a bit short of reaching its max potential.
That's it for the contest I guess.
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

I really enjoy the more esoteric naming schemes. That's all I really have to add, the level was neat.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

"man I think I could have put in the entire top 3 without editing in their own video and it still would have been regular length. welp!"

Yeah, I really wish you would stop doing the whole three videos thing,
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

To be fair, it's not like he has any idea of how long each level is before playing them. Gambling on three levels in one vid doesn't always pay off as we've seen numerous times with one-more-level syndrome.

It's unfortunate that the winning levels seemed to realize they wouldn't get a penalty for not using the whole box, while everyone else felt like they had to and generally scored lower. I wonder how many levels used everything because they felt they had to, even if they felt like their level would've been stronger if they'd just focused on a few parts.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

FPzero wrote: 5 years ago It's unfortunate that the winning levels seemed to realize they wouldn't get a penalty for not using the whole box, while everyone else felt like they had to and generally scored lower. I wonder how many levels used everything because they felt they had to, even if they felt like their level would've been stronger if they'd just focused on a few parts.
Didn't snoruntpyro's level use the entire box? Or at least I'm assuming so, based on inclusion of the lone "cheering" stretch ghost at the very end.