(shouting)

What games are you playing?

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: What games are you playing?

Post by SAJewers »

Picked this up in the Steam Sale: https://steamcommunity.com/app/810780/

Not bad, though I wish you could rebind keys.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Happy they put twelve Street Fighter games on the same disc. Only bummer is that they're all the arcade versions which means no World Tour mode for Alpha 3 and weaker sound for 3rd Strike. Other than that, yeah, this is a fun collection for what it is.
Slimeman01
Minecraft Lore Creationist
First name: Matt
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Slimeman01 »

So I got Mario Tennis Aces, and wow is this game good!
I love the mechanics of the game, they're super fun to learn and master (The only problem is that I'm really bad at using/defending against them)
The story mode is also really cool too, if a tad difficult (Again, I'm really bad)
:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
warpio

Post by warpio »

I just played through Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion. It's inkredibly fun. The ink swimming mechanics lends itself really well to 3D platformer level designs. In addition to this DLC pack being very meaty, it's also WAY harder than the main game's single player content in both of the Splatoon games. It feels like this is where the designers finally got to flesh out all of their ideas that only got used once or twice in the main campaign and stuff that wasn't done at all yet.

And just when I thought I was done, I find out there's

a super hard extra boss

, as well as an extra completionist goal of beating every level with each weapon that's available for it. Usually each level has a recommended weapon, an "easy mode" weapon, and a "hard mode" weapon. So now I'm gonna go and beat all of the DLC levels with every weapon just because I can't get enough of this game's single player content it's just that good.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

I played Bayonetta a bit yesterday since it was on sale. I see why people like it but it has some infuriating design decisions. Specifically introducing new enemies who attack during their intro cutscene then giving you control back just in time to get hit by said attack as well as having enemies you're expected to dodge with tight timing (the first alfheim portal challenge in particular here) but not only not telegraphing some of their attacks (the most difficult ones to time at that) but also only giving you about a tenth of a second to do so.

I also really despise the dog enemies introduced in the third chapter. Their idiotic roar attack seems to be undodgeable and if you're meleeing them which seems to be the only effective way to kill them you're stuck right next to them stunned when they roar and can't really get out of your stunned state before getting hit. They can also garb you in their mouth if you're in any state other than dodging and this attack is not only instant but also not telegraphed as far as I could tell.

There's also one annoying spot in the third chapter where you have to run across a collapsing bridge. At the other end there's an upwards path going off tot he right. This is the only visible path you can see but it's not the right path. You can only find the right path by ignoring that path altogether and staying on the collapsing bridge, something that the game heavily implies you don't want to be doing.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Trying to finish Kirby's Blowout Blast since it's another short one, yet I keep only playing the game for 15-20 minutes at a time. Go figure.
warpio

Post by warpio »

Bean wrote: 5 years ago Trying to finish Kirby's Blowout Blast since it's another short one, yet I keep only playing the game for 15-20 minutes at a time. Go figure.
If you go for all platinum scores that game gets pretty intense. It becomes more like a puzzle game where you have to figure out how to maximize your score in every situation. If you just care about beating it, it can be over in like an hour.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

warpio wrote: 5 years agoIf you go for all platinum scores that game gets pretty intense. It becomes more like a puzzle game where you have to figure out how to maximize your score in every situation. If you just care about beating it, it can be over in like an hour.
Been going for all golds since that unlocks their EX stages. I figure that's good enough for my level of skill. I don't do challenge runs as much as I used to!
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Finally got around to playing Celeste. Been having a ton of fun so far!
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

Finally got around to finishing up Persona 4. I liked it but not one of my favorites.
Picked up Legend of Heroes: A Tear of Vermilion again and played it a little. Not a big fan of it but it doesn't seem like too terribly long of a game so I might just try to fly through it
Alice

Post by Alice »

HatKid wrote: 5 years agoFinally got around to finishing up Persona 4. I liked it but not one of my favorites.
I thought the characters were generally more likable than Persona 3's. There were a handful of game mechanic changes from P3 that were definitely a good choice too. I though the Dark Hour was more interesting than the Midnight Channel though. Can't say anything on P5 yet though since I don't have a Playstation to play it. (Hopefully the rumors of it getting a pc port are true.)
HatKid

Post by HatKid »

Alice wrote: 5 years ago P5 ... (Hopefully the rumors of it getting a pc port are true.)
I thought P5 was good. I mostly liked the music but some tracks seemed like they were missing something to make them more interesting. I didn't quite get through all the Confidants but they weren't terrible. The palaces were not too terrible except for right at the end where the last 2ish felt really long and boring. The items and equipment are a bit expensive for the amount of money you get from battles... Unless I just didn't battle enough because I usually am quite underleveled in RPGs. A PC port would be great :D
Alice

Post by Alice »

HatKid wrote: 5 years agoI thought P5 was good. I mostly liked the music but some tracks seemed like they were missing something to make them more interesting.
I mostly don't recall P4's soundtrack but P3's was one of my favorite video game soundtracks. Especially the ones during the final two battles.
The items and equipment are a bit expensive for the amount of money you get from battles... Unless I just didn't battle enough because I usually am quite underleveled in RPGs.
I know the feeling there, lol. I'm not a big fan of grinding so I tend to be massively underlevelled myself. When I beat P3 my highest level character was only level 70 or 71. Most guides tend to recommend level 73-75 for all characters.

I actually reached it around level 63-64 instead but just couldn't beat it so I ended up going on a quest for some good personas and a few levels along the way. (Which was still a fairly high level for me in an rpg all things considered.) Ended up mostly using Mithra who I used all the stat boosting cards I'd gotten throughout the game on so it ended up with 99 in every stat except luck and then fell back to Surt for times when I needed fire. (My Mithra had the three other elements and Megidola. I also had Loki for light and dark iirc though I never really used him.)

Levels ended up being less of an issue for me in P4 due to a rather extended quest to obtain the Alice persona. Turned out to be an enormous pain in the butt so by the time I got to the end of the game my party was already at a good level.
HatKid

Post by HatKid »

Alice wrote: 5 years ago I mostly don't recall P4's soundtrack but P3's was one of my favorite video game soundtracks.

I'm not a big fan of grinding so I tend to be massively underlevelled myself. When I beat P3 my highest level character was only level 70 or 71.
I only liked a few tracks from Persona 4. Most of its soundtrack just didn't appeal to me. However P3's OST and also P1 and 2's OSTs are some of my favorites.

I had to have some grinding sessions in P4 because I was like 10 levels lower than the recommended level for the dungeon boss. When I played P3P, I got to the final boss with my character at level 80 and the rest of my party at like 72ish. Part of the level discrepancy might be because I like to evenly level all party members and because I went hunting for those stupid gold shadows so I could get their medal things but they hardly ever appeared :cry:. When I played FES, I think everyone was around level 73. I guess I wasn't really underleveled in P3.
When I tackled the final dungeon in P1 PSP, I was like 10 levels lower than I probably should have been because the boss kicked my butt to the moon and back but I at least could expedite the grind with cheats. However in P1 PS1 I was pretty much screwed because I couldn't get any exp cheats to work and I didn't wanna just use infinite hp cheats so I had to suck it up and grind out 20 or so levels. Never again.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Took a very short break from recording a project to finally do the last set of stages on the normal route in Kirby's Blowout Blast. Got all golds in those, too, so I guess I'll be doing the EX stages next time I play. Took around two months to play this game for a little under two hours to get to that point, but it's still fun enough for what it is. Oops!
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

been mostly just playing a lot of celeste to do the golden strawberries, because i'm an idiot but i'm at 194/200, so... something's going right somewhere
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

20XX came out on the Switch yesterday. Think I'm going to play some co-op on it a little later and see how it goes.

And it went well! Game's got some style and a heaping helping of difficulty to go along with it thanks to some procedurally generated levels. Keeps things interesting since you only get three tries before you go all the way back to the start, but you can buy upgrades for another run if you're feeling up to it after losing.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

So i managed to beat the final boss in Rain Project, but got kaizo'd during the cutscene as it was still in the process of doing a final attack. :/

*screams*

EDIT: having said that, i'm calling the game beaten. Maybe one the next patch is out i'll re-beat it
Last edited by SAJewers 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
underFlo
you spinda right round
First name: Florence
Pronouns: they/she

Post by underFlo »

gettin' into Splatoon 2 again, such a fun game.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
warpio

Post by warpio »

Spinda wrote: 5 years ago gettin' into Splatoon 2 again, such a fun game.
Same here. I'm still not done with the Octo Expansion since I want to go for the extra challenge of beating every stage with every available weapon, but I'm also getting more into the Ranked mode now since I found out the Splosher Machine is a really good weapon.

Other than that, I've also been replaying Kirby & the Amazing Mirror, because I've only played through it once over a decade ago and I've forgotten about most of it since then. It's really interesting once you get the hang of how the map system works... and I like how despite being a Metroidvania game with multiple transitions between areas, you can pretty much fully 100% each Area in the game before moving onto the next and just treat each Area as its own self-contained maze level.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Haven't had much time to play games lately, but I picked up Octopath Traveler last weekend.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Started Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze last Sunday. Been playing 1 world/day after work, so tonight I plan on starting and finishing World 5, assuming the difficulty doesn't ramp up significantly over World 4's swimming shenanigans. Loving the look and feel of the whole game, but still never quite as comfortable with DK's basic movement (without Dixie) as I feel I should be. Always lose a few lives to really simple mistakes every checkpoint.

Oh, and I'm playing the Switch version in Original Mode (no Funk here)
Last edited by BobisOnlyBob 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

Sonic Mania Plus is good. Real good. Still getting a hang of Ray despite 100%ing as him, and Mighty is amusingly broken.
Also, the new Metal Sonic boss: it's an improvement, but wow is it easy to just fall off and die out of nowhere.
Still have yet to Encore. I might do it after I beat the game as Mighty, or I might wait til I've beaten the other 3 characters again.

Kirby Star Allies is a thing, too. Not bad, but very Nintendo formula. Not even Kirby formula at this point (that was Return to Dreamland, which I loved the few times I got to play it) - It feels similar to New Super Mario Bros almost.
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

100% Finished DKC: Tropical Freeze today! Started last Sunday, finished today - and barely played yesterday - that makes this a One Week Kong Quest Completed!

Bought Sonic Mania Plus but probably will hold off on that, too much platformer for now. Might go back Into The Breach or might pick something random from my excessive library.
Last edited by BobisOnlyBob 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Felt like playing Symphony of the Night again since it's been a long time since I have. This time, I'm going with the PSP version for the different dub. Just wanted to hear how it played out.