(shouting)

The Haus of Talk Thread

here's a good place for FRIENDLY, ENJOYABLE, and otherwise very GENERAL discussion!
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Re: Clever, witty, pun-based thread title!

Post by Alice »

Ashan wrote: 5 years agoCan someone tell me why people get so pissed off about banning certain dog breeds?
I think I probably like dogs a good deal more than the average person but I don't understand why people are offended by the idea that a certain dog breed is just really dangerous. Like we easily accept "X breed is very social" and "Y breed is hard to train" but as soon as someone says "Z breed tends to tear babies in half" they go "NO IT'S JUST THE OWNER'S FAULT."

I don't think the idea was ever posited to just violently massacre the breed, you just need to stop breeding them. Let the existing ones die off, it'll take like 15 years and it's over.
Because they can be trained perfectly fine to not do that shit. And it doesn't even take particularly much effort. When I was like 5-6 or so our neighbor had a huge pit bull and I used to play with her all the time. Never had a single issue with her despite our neighbors being very lazy people who didn't even bother trying to train their pets. Pit bulls are naturally aggressive, sure. They were bred specifically for that purpose. If someone doesn't take that into account when getting a pit bull though then those aggressive tendencies won't get nipped in the bud before they become a problem.
bbbrrr_it_cold
Always ambivalent, always lurking...
First name: Quagsire

Post by bbbrrr_it_cold »

We have a Pit Bull right now and she is a CCGC (Certified Canine Good Citizen). She's the example that our local trainer uses in just about all of her classes. And when we get told that we can't have certain insurance policies or that she's banned from wherever (or anything else like that) because this dog - who has never purposely harmed anything - is apparently more dangerous than the almost rabid chihuahua across the street or the dogs that literally mauled our Labrador, it tends to rub people like us the wrong way.

Any dog can be trained to be aggressive and any dog can be trained to not. Picking out a breed and saying that it is naturally aggressive is unfair to anyone willing to put in the basic effort that I think most people should have to do with their dogs. And considering I don't think it would be too much for those bans to instead be on animals that you've had for a certain amount of time that haven't been trained, it seems is highly prejudiced.
I have a twitch (where I try to stream most Tuesday and Friday nights): (Don't watch it)
I have a youtube (currently only with stream highlights): (Don't watch it)
I have a twitter (where I say just about nothing): (Don't follow it)
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Alice wrote: 5 years agoBecause they can be trained perfectly fine to not do that shit. And it doesn't even take particularly much effort. When I was like 5-6 or so our neighbor had a huge pit bull and I used to play with her all the time. Never had a single issue with her despite our neighbors being very lazy people who didn't even bother trying to train their pets. Pit bulls are naturally aggressive, sure. They were bred specifically for that purpose. If someone doesn't take that into account when getting a pit bull though then those aggressive tendencies won't get nipped in the bud before they become a problem.
Is this not the exact argument for the right to bear arms?
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Awoo »

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Alice

Post by Alice »

Ashan wrote: 5 years agoIs this not the exact argument for the right to bear arms?
What? Even if it were I don't see how that's at all relevant. Nor does it do anything to invalidate what I said at all. My point is just because something is dangerous does not by default make it a bad thing. Cars are dangerous as fuck, more dangerous than guns because of the sheer amount of them on the street and how utterly moronic people are. You don't see us getting rid of cars though. The same argument is perfectly valid for pit bulls. More so because we're talking about a breathing living being rather than an inanimate hunk of metal.

If you want to talk about dangerous animals then as bbbrrr_it_cold hinted at, smaller dogs actually end to be FAR more aggressive by a long shot. There's also the ones such as my ex-neighbors' mixed breed (which was mostly German Shepherd) who nearly killed me at one point for simply knocking on their front door.

My point being it needs to be handled on a case by case basis and not generalized. I really don't understand how so many left-leaning people constantly speak out about how it's bad to generalize people then go on to do the same thing with subjects that they disagree with. It's hypocritical at best.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

edit: never mind, I'm trying to get into less internet arguments and this isn't a step towards that, sorry
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

So this sorta came outta no where but in the span of two weeks I got a part time job with my bro. Today was day 2, tomorrow is a day off.

I'm really happy to have finally found a job that I can do that won't cause me problems socially or physically.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Awoo »

Congrats! I hope it goes well for you :3
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I love having free time so I can just spend the whole day trying to distract myself from how lonely I am until I can finally go to sleep and forget about it for a few hours. I'm really making the most of the prime of my life!!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Well, you have to find ways to preoccupy yourself when those thoughts come up. Still, you've got plenty of time to have good times. There's no real time limit on that, especially since you're still way young.

That said though, we do have a Discord if you ever want to talk about random stuff with peeps from here. You're even in that one!
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

speaking of preoccupying yourself, anyone know any games that are comfortable to play one-handed? Because I may or may not be unable to use my right arm for a while. Bike accident.
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
rena
type 2 invested entity
First name: cat
Pronouns: spider
https://rena.talkhaus.com/

Post by rena »

Blivsey wrote: 5 years ago speaking of preoccupying yourself, anyone know any games that are comfortable to play one-handed? Because I may or may not be unable to use my right arm for a while. Bike accident.
i dont know the answer to your question exactly sry but theres a speedrunner on twitch (halfcoordinated) who only plays with one hand
Alice

Post by Alice »

Blivsey wrote: 5 years agospeaking of preoccupying yourself, anyone know any games that are comfortable to play one-handed? Because I may or may not be unable to use my right arm for a while. Bike accident.
Audiosurf or many puzzle games. Bejeweled or Picross or something along those lines.
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

Blivsey wrote: 5 years ago speaking of preoccupying yourself, anyone know any games that are comfortable to play one-handed? Because I may or may not be unable to use my right arm for a while. Bike accident.
i actually found that some racing games can be played with one hand, provided you have a DualShock controller. Automatic transmission, steer with the left stick, accelerate/brake with the right stick.
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

tfw the mario kart drift button can't be remapped, so it's impossible to play with one hand
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Whimsical Calamari

Ivy wrote: 5 years ago tfw the mario kart drift button can't be remapped, so it's impossible to play with one hand
mario kart wii has auto drifting
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Whimsical Calamari wrote: 5 years ago mario kart wii has auto drifting
ah, but that Mario Kart doesn't have auto-accelerate! There isn't a game with both...
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Games are overrated anyways! Anyhoo, how's everyone doing? Those Discords kind of brought down the activity on both this board and a voice acting one I go to, but eh. I still like posting every now and then because you get that extra time to think things over before sending a message out.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Just found this while clearing out some old junk from my room. We should get this added to the list of cycling demos in the header
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I would be in agreement on that.
Dizzybelle
Barrel!
First name: (◕ v ◕✿)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Dizzybelle »

here, i whipped up a transparent version

should be easier to do things with
ImageImageImage
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

bkamakaze wrote: 5 years ago here, i whipped up a transparent version

Ah, you're amazing!
Does anyone have access to adding a header demo? Is rena still around?
Whimsical Calamari

Ashan wrote: 5 years ago

Ah, you're amazing!
apparently rena is still around because i just saw this demo in the header
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Whimsical Calamari wrote: 5 years ago
Ashan wrote: 5 years ago

Ah, you're amazing!
apparently rena is still around because i just saw this demo in the header
Yeah, see the shoutbox. Apparently was added shortly after but I just found out last night. I refreshed for literally like 5 minutes before I was able to get it and then as I'm typing this reply it's the current demo of course
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

Does anyone enjoy the taste of licorice? I certainly don't.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me: