(shouting)

cldc 2018 - layers

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
idol
its only scary if its wet
First name: idol
Pronouns: she/her

cldc 2018 - layers

Post by idol »

with doomsday having ended,,, something new will emerge tomorrow. some people talked about a hype thread,, so here it is.

there it is, in all it's light scheme glory! i'll give you a hint,,, it's gonna be a wild inconsistent tornado of an adventure. and also i made this thread earlier than raocow wanted, but i think it's about high time to knock god off his peg a lil.

edit; and,,, it's up! raocow is lping the recent chocolate level design contest run over on smwcentral.net. there are 35 entries, in my recollection the bottom three are normal, the top 3 are normal, and the rests rankings are randomized. it's a kinda weird touch, but it fits a weird series like this. the entries all had codenames (of which today's video had one) in order to semi-anonymize for the judges (noivern, fpzero, and blind devil). that's it!

CLDC 2018 - 1 - apples
CLDC 2018 - 2 - ghost sled
CLDC 2018 - 3 - friendly little key with friendly little feet
CLDC 2018 - 4 - controllable math
CLDC 2018 - 5 - pepsi cans
CLDC 2018 - 6 - oxygen
CLDC 2018 - 7 - autopause
CLDC 2018 - 8 - screen-edge scrolling
CLDC 2018 - 9 - removing the ability to move
CLDC 2018 - 10 - mmmmmm
CLDC 2018 - 11 - stamina
CLDC 2018 - 12 - fish
CLDC 2018 - 13 - hammer
CLDC 2018 - 14 - fish puzzle
CLDC 2018 - 15 - homing
CLDC 2018 - 16 - mushroom inside an egg
CLDC 2018 - 17 - propeller
CLDC 2018 - 18 - '—'
CLDC 2018 - 19 - ten shots per screen
CLDC 2018 - 20 - cat family
CLDC 2018 - 21 1st place - layers
Last edited by idol 5 years ago, edited 20 times in total.
Grounder

Re: The Next Mystery raocow LP

Post by Grounder »

that chocolate level design contest 7 thing, yeah?
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

its Yump 2

featuring GAYER SHT just in time for pride month
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

Ivy wrote: 5 years ago its Yump 2

featuring GAYER SHT just in time for pride month
Unfortunately, YUMP team (not to be confused with JUMP team, they still want to include GAY SHT in JUMP half) quickly removed this stage like 2 days ago just in time for this LP.

Last edited by Sugar 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

we're bumping mice up? or what
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Super Maks 64 »

GlitchMr wrote: 5 years ago Unfortunately, YUMP team (not to be confused with JUMP team, they still want to include GAY SHT in JUMP half) quickly removed this stage like 2 days ago just in time for this LP.
Is YUMP 2/1 really in development?
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

my money's on Mario Bros. for the arcade
video games
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

idol wrote: 5 years ago with doomsday having ended,,, something new will emerge tomorrow. some people talked about a hype thread,, so here it is.

there it is, in all it's light scheme glory! i'll give you a hint,,, it's gonna be a wild inconsistent tornado of an adventure. and also i made this thread earlier than raocow wanted, but i think it's about high time to knock god off his peg a lil.
By the way, for reference, this was the original thread, before this has started, if posts before seem unusual.
Mandew
d'yo

Post by Mandew »

darn, it wasn't Mario Bros. for the arcade
video games
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

I was hoping donkey kong 3 for the sharp x1
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

Okay, so, @raocow, there is a secret exit in Lespna1's stage. You may want to do it or something.
Mandew
d'yo

Post by Mandew »

One thing I loved about "Cave M. Ghost Manor" is the abrupt screen transition, showing just a slight bit of potential with that New Super Mario Bros. ghost house music. I wish it used more creepy tracks and jarring tracks to take advantage of that.

Otherwise, level was super weird haha
video games
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

Well, that sure was a level.

A very janky level that would've taken less effort to not be janky, but uh

yeah that really was just the definition of something kinda below average that was actually brought down by the creator's attempts to make it more special than it actually is wasn't it
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

GlitchMr wrote: 5 years ago Okay, so, @raocow, there is a secret exit in Lespna1's stage. You may want to do it or something.
I said this for MAGL3 and they should really state how many exits are there in the levels
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

hey guys i'm just gonna submit my romhack i've been working on for the contest i hope i win
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

My guess is that the blocks around the key-and-keyhole can be broken with fireballs.

Also I have to assume that lava in the weird "jump around off the top of the screen" moment was intended to move up and down with the rest of the platforms.

What's up with the Twin Fort level? This submission feels like a work-in-progress snapshot from some larger play-as-Kirby hack the designer is developing.
Wind Fish

Post by Wind Fish »

I would have preferred the mystery LP being VLDCX. :twisted:
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Wind Fish wrote: 5 years ago I would have preferred the mystery LP being VLDCX. :twisted:
Last I recall, there were talks of doing a top 60 collab ROM, but I haven’t really followed SMWC in almost a year now so I don’t know if it ever took off/is still happening.
Wind Fish

Post by Wind Fish »

S.N.N. wrote: 5 years ago Last I recall, there were talks of doing a top 60 collab ROM, but I haven’t really followed SMWC in almost a year now so I don’t know if it ever took off/is still happening.
I heard that too. I don't think anything came from it. There's no visible progress as far as I can tell.
idol
its only scary if its wet
First name: idol

Re: Chocolate Level Design Contest 2018 - apples

Post by idol »

stuff with vldcx is kind of h

anywys here's some stuff.

Cave M. Ghost Manor
Placement: 35th
Codename: Kirby
Author: Lespna1

Judge comments:

FPzero:

Fun Factor: 6/30
Presentation: 5/20
Creativity: 3/10

Total: 14/60

Comments:
This level has no clue what it wants to be. There's just a random assortment of custom sprites throughout the level never used in interesting ways but instead just there as flavor or window dressing I suppose? You've got the spike hat guys from Yoshi's Island, running dudes from Super Mario Land and Metroids that drain your timer all just tossed in without much care for consistency or level design. Not only that, but the graphics were buggy in places, there was massive slowdown in places where there really shouldn't have been, there was floating lava, the layer 2 section was placed way too high and was constantly scrolling the player off the top of the screen... I could keep going but the point is that this level is just not good. You need to choose an idea and stick with it instead of using a lot of different things and not doing anything interesting with them.

Noivern:

Far too incoherent for a single level. It tries a lot of ideas but none are implemented properly, like the key segments where the keys aren't hidden very well, or the moving layer 2 section except the moving is completely unnecessary and wastes time. It also felt really empty.

Total: 16

Blind Devil:

Fun: Honestly, the level has too many design flaws that detract a lot from the experience, starting with item babysitting. Right in the beginning, the player should carry a key to a spot where you need a springboard to progress. Then, in the second section, the player needs to trigger the blue P-Switch timer by touching P-blocks which look solid but aren't (more details covered on presentation topic), get a key and carry it back where a door is located - or alternatively, keep going right until they find another key and a key teleport block to get the very easy secret exit. If you carry on through the regular path, you get to the midway point which is connected to a moving layer 2 maze with Metroids section. And now we get into another issue. In this section, the maze moves up and down, but it goes too far up, blocking the player's sight. They have to wait it move back down in order to progress safely. Finally, there's a boss room with two spitting-fire Urchins that take like five seconds to beat in the first try. Summing it up, most of the gameplay experience is negative overall, so the fun factor is seriously affected.
Fun points: 11/30

Presentation: There's absolutely no graphical cohesion. The player graphics are cartoony Kirby graphics, and some sprites use either vanilla-styled, YI graphics, there's the Metroid sprite with Metroid graphics, an alternative SMW-like tileset for the first level section, YI graphics for the second section, and another totally different graphical style for the Layer 2 and boss rooms. Not only that, but there are glitched stuff, like right in the beginning, the ghost house entrance is completely garbled, there are teleport blocks with bad palette and wrong tiles, the fire-spitting Boo that looks like a Gusty but when it spits a fireball it looks like a Fang bat, and the reskinned shelless Koopas that look like the OW Mario, but when stomped, look like squished shelless Koopas. What's more, there's cutoff, notably in the last screens of the moving layer 2 section, more precisely the floating lava, and caped Kirby (the cape floats attached to nothing when Kirby is falling). And as mentioned before, there are the P-blocks that look solid, but they actually aren't, and are used to trigger the blue P-Switch timer (also noting that there was no indication of their behavior). Not only restricted to graphics, the sprite setup is too varied and inconsistent. Firstly, it starts with YI Grunts, but then there are SML Tokotokos, the fire-spitting Boo that totally doesn't look like one, the Metroids and then the Urchins. Now, music-wise, the unsampled choices are okay, and the songs don't break anything. But once again, more consistency issues: you used different songs for each sublevel when you could have sticked to just one, except for the boss room, of course. What's more, after you defeat the Urchins, the song played isn't a victory fanfare - it is SMW's water level theme. The level has no gimmick - instead, it's centered around being a normal, creepy ghost house level. But that concept didn't make much sense at all, given all graphical, musical and sprite inconsistencies. The only good parts here is that at least you don't have bad palettes for most part, and that you actually made Kirby's hitbox make sense despite not using a more proper health system. But it doesn't make up for all other problems pointed out. The level lacked a lot of polishing.
Presentation points: 3/20

Creativity: There weren't any interesting or innovative setups in the level at all, just some obstacle and sprite placements apparently with no thought, item babysitting moments that could be avoided with more clever usage of resources and, well, that's pretty much it. You could have done much more and better with less resources, could have explored better their behaviors, but unfortunately you did the opposite.
Creativity points: 2/10
----------
Total Score: 16/60
my random thoughts before watching the video:

this level was fucking bizarre, and the next level is gonna be a trip too. this contest has two of the most wild last place entries ive seen in a contest. theyre not even outright bad,,, okay, well they are. but not in an infuriating way where its boring, contrived, hard as hell, or designed poorly. theyre just both so abstracted from regular level design ethos. this level really amused me though. lespna kinda posted a big rant in the contest forum about getting last place, but god it be like that huh. i gave it the codename kirby (i assembled the roms for the judges) because i saw a kirby. i promise some of the other entries have more interesting codenames.

ok time to watch vigeo

edit; oh god when he got to the overworld that reminded me. lespna1 seemingly either built this in his own currently existing romhack, he just used a level from his own existing romhack, or he made an entire hack for this. i played through as much of it as i could ,,,, its about what you'd expect. and yeah this level had random blocks that give you more time, and broken graphics versions of this sprite.
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker

Post by Super Maks 64 »

Wind Fish wrote: 5 years ago
S.N.N. wrote: 5 years ago Last I recall, there were talks of doing a top 60 collab ROM, but I haven’t really followed SMWC in almost a year now so I don’t know if it ever took off/is still happening.
I heard that too. I don't think anything came from it. There's no visible progress as far as I can tell.
VLDCX spoilers
There's this:
And this:

Also that level sure was a level.
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

Yeah SMWC is working on VLDCX behind the scenes but they're not going to like break their backs over getting it out quickly.
Anyway, as idol mentioned somewhere, what's kind of fascinating about this contest is that there really isn't any super boring levels; you can argue that each one has a unique identity.
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
Wind Fish

Post by Wind Fish »

idol wrote: 5 years ago stuff with vldcx is kind of h
How can you say such things? You are part of the top 10 in that contest.
Super Maks 64 wrote:
Wind Fish wrote: 5 years ago
VLDCX spoilers
There's this:
And this:
Oh nice! So there is progress after all. I like the simplicity of the menu.

Almost halfway done, judging by the second video.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Super Maks 64 wrote: 5 years ago VLDCX spoilers
There's this:
And this:
Yeah, that's pretty much the last thing I saw from it. Wasn't sure if it got anywhere there. Still love it though!
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Technically, raocow could always play VLDCX in the same individual-ROM style that we know and love and is being done here for CLDC. Especially since VLDCX would be a collab at best, and knowing raocow, he'd want to play every level anyways. also my level barely missed the cutoff for making it into a collab
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)