(shouting)

Mega Man - We're Here Forever!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
AlchemistHohenheim

Re: Mega Man X5 - The End of the Mega Man X Series

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

Heavy Sigh wrote: 5 years ago Game Script: Sigma: Here I am. You can challenge me at anytime. I have delightful news. I've recently acquired a new partner. He has been very supportive. He seems to have created quite a few robots. And he gave me the toughest body that you will ever see. You got here sooner than I expected, so it is not yet complete... But...it is enough to defeat you... He is an excellent partner... I believe you two know each other... In fact, he used to be a comrade of yours. He was very persistent about you... and that makes him very helpful to me. You see X, there is someone other than me...who hates you... Now feel our combined rage and die! ...But not before suffering horribly, ha ha ha! ...Goodbye, X!

Better Translation: Sigma: Over here. I have no intention of hiding anymore...You see, I found a new benefactor; and he has showered me with more blessings than I could have ever asked for. He spent so many years of his life building robot after robot...and now he's working on his masterpiece! He has granted me the ULTIMATE body! Now, you came earlier than expected, so it's not finished...but it's still MORE than enough for you! There are no words to describe how much my friend hated you; so now, there's only one thing I can do. You shall drink long and deep of our combined hatred, X! DIE!!

This block of text is rather unusual. Sigma uses the ENGLISH word for "partner" instead of using the Japanese equivalent... then using the JAPANESE equivalent the next time he says partner as an attempt to sound fancy, like a Bond villain or something.

Also, Sigma is VERY deferential here, to the point where he’s more like a little kid talking about his awesome new buddy, than world wrecker Sigma.
I'm surprised you didn't comment on the bolded line. It honestly sounds like the official translation is trying to imply that Sigma's mysterious benefactor is...Dr. Cain, I guess? He's like the only character that that description could remotely apply to (it certainly doesn't describe Dr. Wily).
Last edited by AlchemistHohenheim 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

Stink Terios wrote: 5 years ago The song in this stage sounds extremely similar to Invisible Full Moon. Maybe ZUN took it as inspiration?
Very likely to be the case.
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

AlchemistHohenheim wrote: 5 years agoIt honestly sounds like the official translation is trying to imply that Sigma's mysterious benefactor is...Dr. Cain, I guess?
Oh, like Dr. Cain could ever keep his identity secret. Why, he can't even utter five words without throwing in the odd "Dr. Cain!"
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

AlchemistHohenheim wrote: 5 years ago
Heavy Sigh wrote: 5 years ago Game Script: Sigma: Here I am. You can challenge me at anytime. I have delightful news. I've recently acquired a new partner. He has been very supportive. He seems to have created quite a few robots. And he gave me the toughest body that you will ever see. You got here sooner than I expected, so it is not yet complete... But...it is enough to defeat you... He is an excellent partner... I believe you two know each other... In fact, he used to be a comrade of yours. He was very persistent about you... and that makes him very helpful to me. You see X, there is someone other than me...who hates you... Now feel our combined rage and die! ...But not before suffering horribly, ha ha ha! ...Goodbye, X!

Better Translation: Sigma: Over here. I have no intention of hiding anymore...You see, I found a new benefactor; and he has showered me with more blessings than I could have ever asked for. He spent so many years of his life building robot after robot...and now he's working on his masterpiece! He has granted me the ULTIMATE body! Now, you came earlier than expected, so it's not finished...but it's still MORE than enough for you! There are no words to describe how much my friend hated you; so now, there's only one thing I can do. You shall drink long and deep of our combined hatred, X! DIE!!

This block of text is rather unusual. Sigma uses the ENGLISH word for "partner" instead of using the Japanese equivalent... then using the JAPANESE equivalent the next time he says partner as an attempt to sound fancy, like a Bond villain or something.

Also, Sigma is VERY deferential here, to the point where he’s more like a little kid talking about his awesome new buddy, than world wrecker Sigma.
I'm surprised you didn't comment on the bolded line. It honestly sounds like the official translation is trying to imply that Sigma's mysterious benefactor is...Dr. Cain, I guess? He's like the only character that that description could remotely apply to (it certainly doesn't describe Dr. Wily).
I think that line was the translator getting confused and thinking Mega Man and X were the same robot, combined with thinking Sigma's spiel about how much Wily hated X meant they had known each other instead of it just being Wily gettin mad about Light's superior robots from beyond the cyber-grave.

which is kind of excusable, as in a tweet by the translator...
"For localization with text editing u get files in rough English translation w/deets on number of characters/lines, etc & vague description."
"Most of the time I had no idea what was happening as there was no real information regarding game play or scene, so I had to wing it."
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

Overall I don't hate Megaman X5 but man, it's where the Megaman X series really starts to wither.

One thing that bugs heh me about this game is that many of the sprites, effects, and animation seem really low effort, especially compared to Megaman X4.

The main thing that irks me though is how this game has a bunch of obtuse ideas that don't really mesh well with a simple 2-D platformer.

Things like how you don't actually get any power-ups from Dr.light capsules until you get the whole set, or how your plot route is an RNG roll! This game has weird things like how the enigma cannon can actually succeed.
Even the whole boss level mechanic, which is taken to obnoxious levels in the final level. It all just seems X-traneous. Not to mention many of the levels are pretty bland or bad.

I liked this LP and I enjoyed raocow's insight that the best thing this game does is send off the MMX series.

But man, the most iconic thing in this entire game, besides The Duff, is the X versus Zero fight and it's over the dumbest thing ever. And all three versions of the boss fight are terribly unfun.
From a narrative stand-point, isn't it supposed to be the climax of the story?

Zero was built by Doctor wily to destroy Megaman and free robots from their intended purposes. And Megaman's desire for peace leads him to paradoxically fight his friend, the source of mavericks.
It removes all narrative weight when our duo's clash costs nothing, pushes nothing forward and is forgotten moments later.
But egh, it's robot boys, not Shakespeare.
Cosmo Fishhawk

Post by Cosmo Fishhawk »

It wouldn't have had narrative weight regardless, and this wouldn't have been a good conclusion to the series either, simply because nothing has any stakes when death is entirely meaningless (same problem as American superhero comics, Supernatural, just about every Shonen ever made, etc). We know Sigma will be back infinite times because we've seen him come back four times previous, we know Zero will be back because we've seen him come back two times previous (which likewise means any of the heroes could come back from the dead at any time, too).

If they actually put some effort into developing some different overarching threats for X to face (past maybe X2) instead of just "Oops, lol, hijacked by GanonSigma again!" maybe things would be different.
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

So as a sidenote, I remember hearing that Inafune had to abruptly change things once he found out X6 was being made, but as it stands the ending of X5 still links up pretty seamlessly with the beginning of Mega Man Zero 1 (radically different art-style aside).

Though I guess the biggest changes were probably made to the backstory of the Zero series as a whole, rather than specifically to MMZ1.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

If it had been the last X game, it would've been the worst of them all, but we have the next two to look forward to for that while this can remain the most disappointing instead!

Other Ending Spoilers:

In the bad ending where Zero goes maverick, Dr. Light deletes all memories of Zero from X's system. It fast forwards to just one week later where he and the hunters are repairing Earth and gets into a conversation with a bot about what X's dream is. He responds that he wants to create a utopia where humans and reploids can co-exist, sort of hinting at what will happen in the next sub-series.

In Zero's ending, he just thinks about his past while lying on the ground broken, mostly the cutscenes from X4 presented in still frame shots before saying that he think he has to die to restore peace. It literally ends with him saying "Goodbye, X..."

Sigma's weaknesses are close to what they were in X1 which I'm not sure if it was meant to be an allusion to or not. Tri-Thunder for the first phase like how Electric Spark worked back then and Spike Ball for being the closest spherical-based weapon to Rolling Shield for the final phase. But yeah, too much talk about trivial stuff, not enough talk about stuff that mattered. Also, now that it's over, Dynamo is the most unnecessary bot I can think of in the entire franchise. Two fights, and he's never seen again in the game. For all the finality stuff, they sure did leave some things open for no real reason.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

No one as utterly extra as Dynamo can possibly be considered "unnecessary."

Frankly, Dynamo should have taken Iris's spot in the MMX Collection promo material.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Cosmo Fishhawk wrote: 5 years ago Zero will be back because we've seen him come back two times previous
One of those times was an optional gameplay/story choice.
Zummorr wrote: From a narrative stand-point, isn't it supposed to be the climax of the story?
No, this is obviously the falling action/conclusion.
Heavy Sigh wrote: Game Script: X: …………

Better Translation: X: …………
Can we have a round of applause for the translation team?
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

Oh right, this game was supposed to be where Sigma actually, for real, died. Since he spread himself so thin all over the world, he lost the ability to recover.

And then X6 happened.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

man, it's been a long road but the all the mega men series is finally over...

i'd like to take this time to reflect on the series, which of the LPs in the series was your favorite? i'm partial to DOS 3 and Xtreme 1
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Parama wrote: 5 years ago man, it's been a long road but the all the mega men series is finally over...

i'd like to take this time to reflect on the series, which of the LPs in the series was your favorite? i'm partial to DOS 3 and Xtreme 1
My favorite was Super Adventure Rockman.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Regarding the confusing text, I took it as metaphorically viewing Dr. Wily and Dr. Light as entities whose lineage went down through their robots; in other words, "Dr. Wily used to know you, Dr. Light." Similar to how Serge seems to confuse Rock and X.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Leet wrote: 5 years ago Regarding the confusing text, I took it as metaphorically viewing Dr. Wily and Dr. Light as entities whose lineage went down through their robots; in other words, "Dr. Wily used to know you, Dr. Light." Similar to how Serge seems to confuse Rock and X.
What if Sigma or Wily or Serges are actually confusing Rock and X?
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

xnamkcor wrote: 5 years ago What if Sigma or Wily or Serges are actually confusing Rock and X?
Well they're definitely confusing the audience and the translators, so...
Blue

Post by Blue »

So the final boss is Sigma, but it's Gamma with both hands, and his shots are nightmare Suzy and a variation of the Wily Capsule from 7? That's really neat.

It's kind of a shame the game's kind of ass, but man, they had loads of clever callbacks and ideas in this. Just a shame about the actual execution.

Although, the crap execution is pretty understandable if even the credits aren't sure who the second planner was, or if there even was one.
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 5 years ago
xnamkcor wrote: 5 years ago What if Sigma or Wily or Serges are actually confusing Rock and X?
Well they're definitely confusing the audience and the translators, so...
Yeah. It is rather...

Irregular

※Drops Mic※
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I'll Octopardon them since they didn't get much time to translate this or X6.
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Bean wrote: 5 years ago I'll Octopardon them since they didn't get much time to translate this or X6.
I've heard that leaving the Japanese songs in was laziness, but it meant we got Moonlight that much sooner. And that's an awesome song as far as lyrics go. Certainly better than Monkey, but maybe not as good as 「BEASTY LOVE」.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

Purple blocks at 4:47 and 5:48, since you asked.

The video also shows off the lightning claw on Xtreme difficulty, which is just downright cruel.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Stink Terios

Re: Mega Man Xtreme 2 - From One Xtreme to the Other

Post by Stink Terios »

The Reploid Lavarory is my favorite place in the series.

By the way, remember that trash robot boss from Distorted Travesty 2? He's from here!
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

I was wondering why that thing seemed vaguely familiar, guess that's why.

This is a weird start. On the other hand, it's mostly in keeping with what we got in Xtreme 1, except for actually adding a new boss.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

If I remember my Mega Man X Canon (oh man) correctly, this game chronologically takes place between X3 and X4, which is why Iris is there instead of, y'know, robo-dead. I seem to recall that Alia actually references the Erasure Incident in X6, so maybe it was intended to exist all along, but chances are good that this game was made primarily because (a) easy money grab, and (b) fans were still in the height of falling all over themselves for Iris in general and Zero x Iris stuff in particular.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Heavy Sigh

Post by Heavy Sigh »

Oh god. This game is great fun, but jeez some of the systems in it are bad (Don't spend any money if you want all the parts!)

Also, this game is infamous for having a friggin TERRIBLE translation. Like, barely-better-than-machine-translation-at-points bad.

Translation Fun Time! Where 'courage' was never part of the equation!
PROLOGUE

Game Script: Narrator: For some unknown reason, the programs of Reploids are suddenly erased. The Reploids stopped moving and almost seemed like they had become hollow shells. This phenomenon was named “ERASURE” and began to frighten the Reploids…

“Laguz Island” in the Southern Ocean. Here is where the Reploid Research Lavatory is located. One day, the readings of Reploids had instantly vanished. A lot of Reploids were erased! What happened in this island…? Maverick Hunters, X and Zero received the orders and head into action!

Better Translation: Narrator: Masses of Reploids have had their programming wiped! They have become cold and unmoving, as though their souls had been ripped out. Their metal corpses now lay piled on top of one another like mounds of trash... This phenomenon has been dubbed “Erase”, and has now caused mass hysteria.

Here lies Laguz Island. It houses a Reploid research facility, and is located in the southern ocean. This is where hundreds of Reploid signals were Erased! What exactly happened on this island? Maverick Hunters X and Zero have received their orders! It's time to move out!

OPENING MISSION!

Game Script: Iris: You are now on Laguz Island where the Erasure Incidents have happened. What’s the situation there?

Better Translation: Iris: This is Laguz Land. It WAS the home of a Reploid research facility, but now it's become the epicenter for the Erase Incidents. What's the situation there?

Game Script: X: I have found some Reploids that are out of commission, and the others have become Mavericks.

Better Translation: X: Well, I...think the reports were right? There ARE a lot of Reploids out of commission, but I'm also getting a lot of Maverick readings.

There's going to be a LOT more text omitted by the time this playthroughs over.

Game Script: Zero: Iris, we will begin to check the surrounding area. Can you offer us support?

Better Translation: Zero: Iris, we’re scoping the area now! We’ll leave the support to you!

Game Script: Iris: Okay. But please don’t get too wild and bite off more than you can chew.

Better Translation: Iris: Understood. Be careful, both of you.

Game Script: Zero: Don’t worry, Iris.

Better Translation: Zero: Don’t worry about it, Iris. This is just another day for us. Let’s go X!

(X enters the first area)

Game Script: Zero: Did you find anything, X?

Better Translation: Zero: Did you find anything, X?

Game Script: X: Yes I found something! The island is filled with the Mavericks that I thought we had destroyed.

Better Translation: X: Nothing good. This place is filled with Mavericks; Ones that I thought we had destroyed.

Game Script: Zero: WHAT?! Did they come back by themselves, or is there someone behind their resurrection? We must find out.

Better Translation: Zero: So you're saying they crawled out of hell, huh? Did someone revive them? Guess we'll just have to search around and find out.

Game Script: X: I’ll go and check it out.

Better Translation: X: I’ll try going down here. Zero, you go the other way.

Game Script: Zero: Okay. Let’s meet up again later.

Better Translation: Zero: Got it. Let’s meet up again later.

(X enters a dark room)

Game Script: X: What’s this place? Hm! The enemy is coming!

Better Translation: X: What is this place? Ah! Something’s coming!

(Boss appears. X defeats it)

Game Script: X: Are you alright, Zero?

Better Translation: X: Are you alright, Zero? Let’s fall back for now.

Game Script: Zero: There seems to be so many more enemies.

Better Translation: Zero: Tch, there's still so many enemies lurking around... Let's see if Iris has anything for us.

Game Script: X: This is crazy! What is their purpose, anyway? I must find out!

Better Translation: X: Ergh! This is crazy! Just what are they planning anyway? We need to find out now!

GARETH THE SOUL ERASER

Game Script: Iris: X! Zero! We’ve just received…

Better Translation: Iris: X, Zero! Just now…

Game Script: Zero: What is it, Iris!?

Better Translation: Zero: What happened, Iris?

(Mysterious reploid appears)

Game Script: ???: Is it you…? … Who has broken into my island?

Better Translation: ???: Ah, there you are. You're the ones rampaging across other people’s islands.

Game Script: X: Who are you!?

Better Translation: X: Who are you?

Game Script: ???: I’m a Soul Eraser. I erase the souls of evil Mavericks.

Better Translation: ???: I’m a Soul Eraser. One who erases the souls of evil Mavericks.

Game Script: Zero: That can’t be! What do you really do!?

Better Translation: Zero: Like hell you are! Normal Reploids are disappearing and Mavericks are being revived. Now tell me, what exactly ARE you doing?

Game Script: ???: It takes courage to ask someone like me a question like that. Interesting… Well then, let’s play a little game. There are eight guardians on this island. Retire all of them, and then I will battle you.

Better Translation: ???: ...Hmph. You are audacious, if nothing else. Interesting... Let’s play a game here. In this island there are 8 guardians. If you defeat all 8 guardians, I will be your opponent.

Game Script: X: These silly games are pointless.

Better Translation: X: There’s no meaning to such a pointless fight! Stop with this futile resistance!

Game Script: Zero: It seems that retiring eight might be easier than persuading one.

Better Translation: Zero: I don't know. Seems to me we could kill em all twice over by the time we got through to this idiot.

Game Script: ???: You’re very quick, Zero. My name is Gareth. Don’t forget it!

Better Translation: ???: You catch on quickly, Zero! I look forward to your arrival. My name is Gareth. Let us meet again!

Game Script: Iris: Gareth… I can’t find any data on such a Reploid in our database. Plus, we have found unfamiliar items…

Better Translation: Iris: Gareth…I can’t find anything on that Reploid’s data. More importantly, we found some interesting items on the island…

Game Script: Zero: We have also found DNA data, that was draining out of the enemies.

Better Translation: Zero: Yeah, that would be the DNA Data we got from the guys we trashed.

Game Script: Iris: They seem to have been resurrecting enemies by somehow utilizing DNA.

Better Translation: Iris: Well, then it looks like they're the ones responsible for resurrecting the Mavericks.

Game Script: Zero: They are erasing the Reploids’ DNA in order to create items?

Better Translation: Zero: So what, they Erase the data, then make them into materials they can use?

Game Script: Iris: It seems so. A Reploid’s DNA is like that of a human’s soul. From now on, let’s call it a DNA Soul. We may be able to create something useful from Mavericks’ DNA Souls.

Better Translation: Iris: It would appear so. For reference, you could refer to the data you collected as their souls: Their "DNA Souls", so to speak. And it looks like the ones you've found so far are just Maverick souls. Ergo, we might be able to use them to create items for you to use. Please be sure to collect them from here on out.

Game Script: Zero: We can’t leave Maverick’s souls alone.

Zero: But of course. We can’t just leave THOSE souls unattended, now can we?

Better Translation: Game Script: X: We must also find the souls of the erased Reploids… Let’s gather the DNA Souls!

Better Translation: X: Yeah, and we also need to find the souls of everyone who was erased. So from here on out, let's collect every DNA soul we find!