(shouting)

Operation Get Super Mario Doomsday Working

do you like them video games? what about those there romhacks? well pop on in here and talk about them then! what are you waiting for?!
FusionWarrior
Super Sayian Mewtwo Genetic Freak
First name: Jon
Pronouns: Anything Goes

Operation Get Super Mario Doomsday Working

Post by FusionWarrior »

Hey everyone, so it turns out Super Mario Bros Doomsday (See coming up next topic) Is kinda super broken in Windows 10. raocow can't get it running at all, and I have constant crashes and freezes. I was thinking a Virtual Machine or Portable OS of the supported OSes would work, that being:
Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7.
Now as a computer tech I do advise having already upgraded to 8 or 10 for stability and security purposes, but if any of you have one of these operating systems already installed and wouldn't mind giving Super Mario Bros Doomsday a quick run through, and seeing how stable it is (Aka doesn't crash often or at all), that would make a great test to see if it's worth the time to build a Virtual Machine or Portable OS for raocow to LP it.
I started the game myself and while I can't get very far, the writing is fun and the physics are unique, so it could make for a fun LP to watch.

Minimum for testing what we need to test:
Running the game itself https://gamejolt.com/games/smbdoomsday/265229
Running JoytoKey with it https://joytokey.net/en/
Running OBS as a minimum for recording footage and commentary https://obsproject.com/

If you can play a few half an hour sessions with all three running (not necessarily recording, or even using a joystick, just with them open) and there are no crashes, please let us know, and let us know what Operating System you are using, and maybe some basic specs of your PC.

Windows 10 users, this game seems broken by the OS, and not even the dev can figure it out, but perhaps if you fiddle around you can get it to work? I'll try on my end but it seems kinda hopeless at this point. Meanwhile I'll try to get a Virtual Machine or a Portable OS of my own set up to test it, but if it can run on a native OS fine, that brings us hope!

Thank you!
[UPDATE 12/10 12:44 AM EST]
Okay so the main issue is that it is Game Maker engine, which is total butts on x64 based Operating Systems, so if anyone is running a 32 bit OS, that'd be super extra helpful!
ImageImage
raocow wrote:dragon ain't having any of my frosted flakes, that's how I feel
BuzzNBen
First name: Ben

Re: Operation Get Super Mario Doomsday Working

Post by BuzzNBen »

Yeah. I talked to raocow about it and we tried troubleshooting to see what exactly what was causing this (I'm the developer btw).

I don't know why, but some Windows 10 computers run the game just fine with no issues (such as my W10 laptop and my friends W10 desktop) while other times, the game is just completely unstable. However, the game doesn't seem to want to even open for raocow. Instead, he is greeted with a "Unexpected error occurred while running the game" pop up and the game ends up crashing/not loading.

I'm trying my best to see if the problem is on my end, but honestly, it's hard to seemingly recreate the problem raocow is having and then guess what exactly is causing the problem. The only solution I can really think of at this time is a virtual machine that runs XP, Vista, or 7.
FusionWarrior

Post by FusionWarrior »

BuzzNBen wrote: 6 years ago Yeah. I talked to raocow about it and we tried troubleshooting to see what exactly what was causing this (I'm the developer btw).

I don't know why, but some Windows 10 computers run the game just fine with no issues (such as my W10 laptop and my friends W10 desktop) while other times, the game is just completely unstable. However, the game doesn't seem to want to even open for raocow. Instead, he is greeted with a "Unexpected error occurred while running the game" pop up and the game ends up crashing/not loading.

I'm trying my best to see if the problem is on my end, but honestly, it's hard to seemingly recreate the problem raocow is having and then guess what exactly is causing the problem. The only solution I can really think of at this time is a virtual machine that runs XP, Vista, or 7.
Thanks for helping! A tech pal of mine says that Game Maker does not play nice at all with X64 based installs of operating systems, and it's very possible that you could be running on X32. I got it running on my X64 based W10, but it crashed after my second death!
ImageImage
FusionWarrior

Post by FusionWarrior »

My friend might have been able to make a stable Win7 VM for it.
ImageImage
BuzzNBen

Post by BuzzNBen »

Well, something tells me that if your friend was able to at least get the game running on the virtual machine that there is hope.

Now the question is how do we get this virtual machine on raocow's computer? And does the recording software work on the virtual machine as well?
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Game runs okay on my Windows 10.

It seems like a longshot, but what happens if you use that GM6 converter (originally designed to make GM6 games run on Vista and later)? raocow does have it.

Nothing else to lose.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
BuzzNBen

Post by BuzzNBen »

Sebby19 wrote: 6 years ago Game runs okay on my Windows 10.

It seems like a longshot, but what happens if you use that GM6 converter (originally designed to make GM6 games run on Vista and later)? raocow does have it.

Nothing else to lose.
Unfortunately, this is the message I get when trying to convert the game. Since it's not a game exported in GM6, it doesn't think it is a Game Maker game.
smbdoomsdayerror.png
smbdoomsdayerror.png (16.23 KiB) Viewed 6588 times
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Worth a shot.

TIme for you to remake then game then! :P
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
BuzzNBen

Post by BuzzNBen »

Sebby19 wrote: 6 years ago Worth a shot.

TIme for you to remake then game then! :P
I wish it were that simple.
It still seems like the best bet at this point is setting up a VM.
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

I realize that this is one of the more "well, duh" kind of things to suggest, but...have different Compatibility Mode settings been tried?
BuzzNBen

Post by BuzzNBen »

AlchemistHohenheim wrote: 6 years ago I realize that this is one of the more "well, duh" kind of things to suggest, but...have different Compatibility Mode settings been tried?
Yes, it doesn't seem to make a difference for him. :|
FusionWarrior

Post by FusionWarrior »

The virtual machine build itself should be fully portable, and easily open on any system not overly taxed by it using VMware player, with minimal effort. Once it's all set up he's gonna send it to me so I can test it on my computer (Which should be weaker than raocow's since the fan on my graphics card died) and then I can send the whole lot over relatively soon, with plenty of time to look into possibly building a Vista or XP VM if it fails.
ImageImage
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Just tried it on Win10 x64. Completed the first level, then lost all my lives on the second. No crashes or issues though windows did complain that I needed to install DirectPlay.

Have we tried this?
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
BuzzNBen

Post by BuzzNBen »

SAJewers wrote: 6 years ago Just tried it on Win10 x64. Completed the first level, then lost all my lives on the second. No crashes or issues though windows did complain that I needed to install DirectPlay.

Have we tried this?
It has something to do with raocow's PC, I just don't know what. Yeah, the DEP thing could be it, but I don't want to have him do anything to his PC that could potentially not be good. I've tried about everything I could do to fix the problem, but again it's hard to track it when raocow is the only one having the issue.

If only we could recreate the problem raocow is having and troubleshoot it to see what exactly is causing it.
Dustinvgmaster
Great Time Champion
First name: Dustin
Pronouns: obj_dustin.id

Post by Dustinvgmaster »

i mean clearly the solution is to port everything over to studio as legacy gm is actually hitler~~
BuzzNBen

Post by BuzzNBen »

Dustinvgmaster wrote: 6 years ago i mean clearly the solution is to port everything over to studio as legacy gm is actually hitler~~
Importing it into GMS results in way too many errors to fix (since many of GM8s features are not in GMS).

So clearly at this point, raocow will just have to postpone playing it until after he does the Mario 3 E-Reader levels and when we can get a VM with the game working for him.
*sigh* Really wish we could locate the problem since something on his computer doesn't want Doomsday to run.
BuzzNBen

Post by BuzzNBen »

FusionWarrior wrote: 6 years ago The virtual machine build itself should be fully portable, and easily open on any system not overly taxed by it using VMware player, with minimal effort. Once it's all set up he's gonna send it to me so I can test it on my computer (Which should be weaker than raocow's since the fan on my graphics card died) and then I can send the whole lot over relatively soon, with plenty of time to look into possibly building a Vista or XP VM if it fails.
Hey. Just wondering what the state of the virtual machine is right now. Has your friend sent it yet or are we still waiting?
FusionWarrior

Post by FusionWarrior »

Still waiting, he's got a lot of projects on, and we still have time, so I'm not too worried.
ImageImage
FusionWarrior

Post by FusionWarrior »

Update for those not checking other threads, the game is fully playable on a Windows 7 virtual machine with VMPlayer on a MacBook Pro. No crashes recorded. My friend sent me all the needed tools a few hours ago for me to try and run it on my computer. Recently my graphics card's fan died, so in its current condition, there is no way my computer outperforms raocow's by any considerable measure. There are contingencies planned if I cannot run it.
At this time it is not unreasonable for this game to come after Wario Land 1. At worst and unlikely, after Wario Land 2.
ImageImage
FusionWarrior

Post by FusionWarrior »

GET. HYPE.
Gonna need to do testing to ensure stability, but this is a huge leap forward.
ImageImage
BuzzNBen

Post by BuzzNBen »

I'm super hyped as well

(i know, i know, it's my game, that's why I'm hyped... whatever)

! Can't wait till he plays it and hopefully nothing goes wrong!

Also, Merry Christmas and thanks for doing all of this! :D
FusionWarrior

Post by FusionWarrior »

Gonna head to bed now, tomorrow I'll be livestreaming the game as a monitor capture on my twitch https://www.twitch.tv/fusionwarrior at some point to simulate a typical recording session for raocow. Likely noonish.
ImageImage
FusionWarrior

Post by FusionWarrior »

So the game is really chewy and has issues with 2 cores of 4th gen i5 and 1.4 gb of ram and only the on board graphics accelerator. Not good news. If raocomputer has only on board graphics... this project is dead until he gets a graphics card. My graphics card has a dying and loud fan but I will reconnect it and retest the system on another stream on my next day off.

The game is playable, but since it's constantly using full virtual system resources it begins to crash by the time you get to the third level, but not from the game, more from the lack of resources.

I cannot feasibly give the virtualization any more cores or much more ram, as unless raocow has a powerful 16 core behemoth or 16gb of ram, which he likely doesn't... He would be left unable to record his play and the whole thing is in vain.

Big thanks to PizzaPony and RedMageSusie for help during the stream and the setup last night.
ImageImage
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

FusionWarrior wrote: 6 years ago So the game is really chewy and has issues with 2 cores of 4th gen i5 and 1.4 gb of ram and only the on board graphics accelerator. Not good news. If raocomputer has only on board graphics... this project is dead until he gets a graphics card. My graphics card has a dying and loud fan but I will reconnect it and retest the system on another stream on my next day off.

The game is playable, but since it's constantly using full virtual system resources it begins to crash by the time you get to the third level, but not from the game, more from the lack of resources.

I cannot feasibly give the virtualization any more cores or much more ram, as unless raocow has a powerful 16 core behemoth or 16gb of ram, which he likely doesn't... He would be left unable to record his play and the whole thing is in vain.

Big thanks to PizzaPony and RedMageSusie for help during the stream and the setup last night.
according to this he has some sort of i5 and a gtx960.

Looks slightly doubtful.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
FusionWarrior

Post by FusionWarrior »

SAJewers wrote: 6 years ago
according to this he has some sort of i5 and a gtx960.

Looks slightly doubtful.
Yeah I thought i remembered the specs correctly.
Basically raocow has the same computer I have but double the memory. If the game and virt runs fine on my machine with the loud slowly dying video card installed, we are go mode.

...If not we are talking finding a cheap windows 7 gaming laptop and that ain't gonna likely be a thing.
ImageImage