(shouting)

Mega Man - We're Here Forever!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Bean
Yep.

Re: Mega Man III - Super Challenge Rockman World

Post by Bean »

raocow wrote: 6 years ago also: I'm interested in including the zero games, but this depends on one important factor I was never clear on.
Do they follow the same gameplay loop as classic and x of 'choosing from 6 to 8 duder and get a thing', with maybe an intro and a fortress segment
Yeah, the Zero games do a similar thing. It's just that there's more downtime between missions to unlock weapons or items and stuff. The only thing about it is that there are some missions where if you fail and don't retry, the mission is lost forever, and you have limited retries if I remember it right. But yes, it still does the mission/stage thing. You'll know when you've cleared one.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

It works a little differently in each game.

First off, "get a thing" is much more limited. In 1-3, you get "elemental chips" from early bosses. These add elemental effect to Zero's charge effects. However, he has four different basic weapons that you can pick between. There's no weapon energy.
That said, from 2 on bosses get things called EX Skills and you receive these after beating the boss. Problem with these is, you need to get a high rank to earn them, so if you're just playing through like a filthy casual you probably won't see them.
In 4, the EX skills are easier to earn - basically there's a weather system and if you fight the bosses with a particular type of weather active, you get the skill.

Progression in the first game is very different. For the most part, you get a list of missions, which are the stages. If you lose all your lives or quit the mission, it fails and the game proceeds anyways but you get worse results. Some of the missions take place in the same area as other missions, but have different enemy sets. There's also a few cases where a mission starts in a familiar area but then opens up into a new one.

After this, the games get a bit more into the familiar "here's a list of guys" setup. It's still nominally mission-based, and you occasionally get an objective beyond "defeat the boss", but the mission select shows the boss portrait. In 4, you have access to a full set of 8 bosses, but after you defeat four of them plot happens and you have to do some more stages before you can go back to the boss fights.

I don't know how any of that affects your interest in the series. It's definitely not standard Mega Man or X, but it might be something you like. I would suggest sampling the intro stage of the first game, and if you think expanding on that basic gameplay but not getting cool weapons still sounds fun, then go for it. If you're not interested in seeing more of that, then don't worry about it.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

raocow wrote: 6 years ago I guess to rephrase what I actually need to know - can you naturally divide the game up by boss encounters, so that I can divide the game in the same way I'm doing it right now.

becuase if I can, I'mma gonna do it. I'mma gonna add the x's and the zeros to ATMM (not gonna replay the first 3 xs though)
Didn't see that before I answered. Yes, you can. Each of the Zero games has 16 stages, each with at least one boss fight, but they get to that number in different ways.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Plutia
Plutia too cute

Post by Plutia »

i think it's worth including ZX and ZX Advent too if only because it would be weird to not include them and you can still do it one 'level' per it's just in a metroidvania format and there might be some backtracking for items if you want
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Zero 1 is really the odd one out with a super weird and unneccessary open world, the ability to just...not do stages and miss out on rewards from them, and various other little and major odd and/or annoying design decisions (the grind for the Elves is unreal if you want to use them, then the game tells you you suck for doing it...). It's still possible to segment it for an LP - heck, I've done it - but there might be an episode or two of just running around, talking to people and exploring. It's not super different from the hub of any modern SMBX project, though. And you do have a list of distinct levels to choose from, it's just...a list, and it's more mission-based than "go there, kill that", but it does have distinct levels you get ported to.

From Zero 2 onward, you have the classic level select system again, with boss portraits to show you what to expect, and you do have to beat them. In 2 and 3 it's Intro - 4 bosses - intermediate level - 4 bosses - "fortress" stages, whereas in Zero 4 you can choose from 8 bosses again.

As others have mentioned, in Zero 1-3 bosses gain extra attacks if you have a high rank (A or S, so you don't have to be super perfect), and in 2 and 3 if the boss uses this attack against you (so if you have a high rank AS YOU FIGHT IT, if you lose it because the boss beats you up afterwards it doesn't matter), you aquire the attack for yourself. It's...probably not worth trying to high-rank all the missions just to get all of these on your first, blind playthrough. Some of the missions are a serious bitch to do well in, and it does involve trying to not get hit, so you know...
It is possible, however, that after Zero 1 (where it doesn't matter unless you need to see every attack happen) you're practiced enough with the engine that 2 and 3 are "easy" enough for you to keep an A-Rank in. It does mean that you'd have to reload the game after a death for sure, though, getting a full health bar of damage with a little wiggle room (health pickups) should still be okay for an A-Rank if you kill enough dudes and don't take too long, but if you die (or use elves...), that's a no-go for sure.

One other thing: In Zero 2, you can earn different armors that influence and are kind of dependent on your gameplay style. For example, if you keep killing enemies with jumping slashes in the air, then you'll get an armor that makes the last hit of your combo "rise" which deals a bit more damage. If you keep using the buster, you'll get an armor that improves it. You can earn only one armor per stage, and there's a list of which overrides which if you happen to fulfil two requirements at once. Some get a little obscure (like kill 20ish enemies with deflected bullets in this one stage), and I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you're super into playing as green Zero specifically.
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus
Pronouns: Waifulord

Post by Truhan »

Finally, another excuse to post this.

http://78.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m63eo ... o1_500.png
Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Oh yeah, and regarding the actual video: if you think that MMIII might surpass MM3, then you're going to get completely mind-obliterated by the even bigger jump in quality MMIV offers. Look forward to that.

I think MMIII is great and always find it weird when people say the ONLY good GB games are IV and V, but I do acknowledge it's got some rough edges still. For starters, there's Those Jumps everywhere. raocow pointed out well how rooms sometimes are just copy-pasted. It's weird that you get Rush Coil from a certain boss, but have advantages in every other boss level, so there's a clear-cut best stage to start with. But yeah, mostly, I greatly enjoy how they remix the stages and bring in enemies and concepts from MM4 already in the MM3 levels. Though the jump to the E-Tank with the ladder press is a complete nightmare.
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus

Post by Truhan »

raocow wrote: 6 years ago I guess to rephrase what I actually need to know - can you naturally divide the game up by boss encounters, so that I can divide the game in the same way I'm doing it right now.

becuase if I can, I'mma gonna do it. I'mma gonna add the x's and the zeros to ATMM (not gonna replay the first 3 xs though)
I'm guessing this doesn't include the godawful 3D X games that were on PS2 or whatever. So, I guess that would mean doing X4 to X6?
Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Truhan wrote: 6 years ago

I'm guessing this doesn't include the godawful 3D X games that were on PS2 or whatever. So, I guess that would mean doing X4 to X6?
and x7 and x8, though he might wait for that PC rerelease for those.

Basically, he's playing all the Mega Man games except the Battle Network Series, Star Force, the three fighting games, Wily & Right no Rockboard, Soccer, Battle & Chase, Super Adventure, and that Japan-only iOS game

EDIT: oh, also fyi to raocow if you don't know MMV GB has SGB support
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus

Post by Truhan »

SAJewers wrote: 6 years ago
Truhan wrote: 6 years ago

and x7 and x8, though he might wait for that PC rerelease for those.

Basically, he's playing all the Mega Man games except the Battle Network Series, Star Force, the three fighting games, Wily & Right no Rockboard, Soccer, Battle & Chase, Super Adventure, and that Japan-only iOS game

EDIT: oh, also fyi to raocow if you don't know MMV GB has SGB support
X7 and X8 ARE the godawful 3D ones though. I remember someone telling me X7 is pretty much unplayable. Steam release for them is listed as Q2 2018, sounds like ATMM might hiatus a couple of times.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

x8 isn't that bad at all, in fact what little regular levels it has I'd argue are outright good !
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

He won't play the fighting games? They are actually really fun and don't last long at all! Also, they don't play like fighting games, it's more like a Wily Fortress boss rush.
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Super Maks 64 »

SAJewers wrote: 6 years ago Basically, he's playing all the Mega Man games except the Battle Network Series, Star Force, the three fighting games, Wily & Right no Rockboard, Soccer, Battle & Chase, Super Adventure, and that Japan-only iOS game
What about Megaman Legends?
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

raocow wrote: 6 years ago x8 isn't that bad at all, in fact what little regular levels it has I'd argue are outright good !
This is a good take.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Stink Terios wrote: 6 years ago He won't play the fighting games? They are actually really fun and don't last long at all! Also, they don't play like fighting games, it's more like a Wily Fortress boss rush.
I wouldn't mind seeing them either (or any of the other ones mentioned), just didn't seem from his posts that he was interested?
Super Maks 64 wrote: 6 years ago
SAJewers wrote: 6 years ago Basically, he's playing all the Mega Man games except the Battle Network Series, Star Force, the three fighting games, Wily & Right no Rockboard, Soccer, Battle & Chase, Super Adventure, and that Japan-only iOS game
What about Megaman Legends?
I thought he said he was somewhere?
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus

Post by Truhan »

Bean wrote: 6 years ago
raocow wrote: 6 years ago x8 isn't that bad at all, in fact what little regular levels it has I'd argue are outright good !
This is a good take.
I've never played either one, so I wouldn't know.
FusionWarrior
Super Sayian Mewtwo Genetic Freak
First name: Jon
Pronouns: Anything Goes

Post by FusionWarrior »

Stink Terios wrote: 6 years ago He won't play the fighting games? They are actually really fun and don't last long at all! Also, they don't play like fighting games, it's more like a Wily Fortress boss rush.
Now I want to see raocow play through the Marvel Vs Capcoms arcade modes, while only playing as Mega Man.
Maybe a Real Life Core where if Mega Man falls it just ends, no switching?
ImageImage
raocow wrote:dragon ain't having any of my frosted flakes, that's how I feel
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

the actual arcade megaman, maybe. but the cross-overs open up a bit TOO much to strange genres! I feel like I'd hve to go back and do rockboard and things like that
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

Huh, so this game has an midgame boss? So far, this game is really rocking it.
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Let's do a quick comparison here...
MMII.jpg
MMII.jpg (32.9 KiB) Viewed 4315 times
MMIII.jpg
MMIII.jpg (47.91 KiB) Viewed 4315 times
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

This is the correct opinion. The grand reveal was dumb even by Capcom standards and Man-o-War's non-stage was garbage but everything else about the game was actually good.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

raocow wrote: 6 years ago the actual arcade megaman, maybe. but the cross-overs open up a bit TOO much to strange genres! I feel like I'd hve to go back and do rockboard and things like that
What about Rockman&Forte and Challenger From the Future?

PS: The PC version of DASH 2 supports mouse+keyboard control.
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I hope you get used to using Rush Coil a bit more in the future here!
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Drill Man is actually where I used to start the second half because his stage was the easiest. Dust Man may be the easiest of the four bosses but Lord that stage is a nightmare.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

It's so much better of a fight when Drill Man doesn't become invincible upon digging. The difference in annoyance level is astounding. Also yeah, dat difficulty difference, eh? Now in the second half it becomes really obvious why MMIII is considered such a hard game. Some of those setups are almost cruel, and you better get used to shield attackers out of fucking nowhere all the time. Also, spikes. Spikes in all the inopportune places.