(shouting)

Mega Man - We're Here Forever!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Mineyl

Re: Mega Man 3 (PC) - The Revolting Return

Post by Mineyl »

Now we're talking. Megaman 5 was my favorite game in the series in my youth before developing a more nuanced opinion. Don't get me wrong; I still like it, and it's the most polished of the first six in the game feel department (MM4 and MM6 both have some flaws like slow screen transitions, MM4's slow health bars, and MM6's inability to jump out of a slide), but the series was definitely starting to stagnate here. My biggest complaint is with the robot master weapons: Gravity Hold and Charge Kick are good, and Star Crash is debatably a better Skull Barrier, but the rest of the weapons are completely unimpressive and on the whole do not deal more damage than charged Mega Buster shots outside of when they're boss weaknesses. I mean, MM6's arsenal may be less imaginative than MM5's, but at least they're actually usable!
Kilgamayan wrote: 6 years ago This makes me curious as to which main series Mega Man games people on this forum actually like. I feel like everything so far has been met with negative reviews, which I could understand for 1 but was surprised for how much people dislikes 2, 3, and 4. I figured everyone was saving their adulation for 5, but we're clearly not off to a good start there. Surely the most popular games here aren't 6, 7, and 8?
For me it's kinda' like this...

Favorites: 4, 7, 10
High praise: 3, 5, 9
Okay-to-meh-tier: 1, 2, 6, 8
raocow wrote:I don't know what it means, but you're screaming at me and I'm used to that.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Re: Mega Man 5 - Light vs. Dark

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

hey the thread has stolen my theme naming from ori :x :x :x
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Mineyl wrote: 6 years agoFor me it's kinda' like this...

Favorites: 7
I dunno why this isn't a more popular opinion. I always thought MM7 was great.
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

Alice wrote: 6 years ago

Final boss destroyed anyone who otherwise liked this game ;).
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 6 years ago hey the thread has stolen my theme naming from ori :x :x :x
I had to go for the double stealth pun. It's just how I rock, man.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Glad to hear these responses. I suppose it's simply easier to comment on a game's flaws than it is its positive, especially in a setting like this, which led to more negativity than seems to have been intended.

Also, did MM5 always run this fast? I can't tell if things are actually abnormally speedy or if I've just been lulled to sleep by every MM3 DOS video being a little slower than the last.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Slimeman01
Minecraft Lore Creationist
First name: Matt
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Slimeman01 »

I really don't see why everybody praises 2 like it's the greatest game ever, when it is the most bare bones out of all of them (excluding 1). Like it doesn't have the charge or the slide, which makes the puzzles and platforming either too easy or too difficult (Even with Item 2). Every game after it has improved drastically, outclassing 2 in almost everything
:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

raocow wrote: 6 years ago turns out nobody actually likes megaman
If you ever venture into the Mega Man Thread on SA (don't), you'll find out that this is super accurate. It's not even called the Mega Man thread, someone changed the name to "Let's talk about Egg Man"!

Anyway, it's me, the guy who likes MM5 the most of the NES games with MM3 coming close sometimes (depending on how Topspinny I feel). It was my first LP when I was trying out how LPs work, because I felt everyone hated it for no good reason, and I made a point of showing off uses for all special weapons (no, I didn't find a really good one for Power Stone) because I think that while they're underpowered, they're still a lot of fun to use. I actually might prefer that to the MM9 approach where you can use basically any weapon because they're all bonkers good, but then it doesn't really matter which one you choose anymore...

Overall, I like MM5 so much I LP'd it twice, that should say something!
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I like Crystal Man. I think the robots that shoot crystals in his stage are cool (could do without the, as seen, quite annoying random crystal dropping machines), and even though his fight is one of the few areas in the game with slowdown, it actually makes for some pretty fun bullet-time-esque dodges you can pull off when the crystals are bouncing around the room. I also have always liked that Napalm Man is weak to Crystal because I imagine the giant hole in Napalm Man's head gets jammed with a crystal orb. Dunno if that's intentional or not, but that's always a weakness I never forget.
GlitchMr wrote: 6 years ago
Alice wrote: 6 years ago

Final boss destroyed anyone who otherwise liked this game ;).
Getting the gold medal in Legacy Collection 2 for the MM7 Wily capsule challenge gave me PTSD. You have to actually learn how to dodge him. My biggest issue with 7 is how big the sprites are. But we'll get to that when we get to that.
Slimeman01 wrote: 6 years ago I really don't see why everybody praises 2 like it's the greatest game ever, when it is the most bare bones out of all of them (excluding 1). Like it doesn't have the charge or the slide, which makes the puzzles and platforming either too easy or too difficult (Even with Item 2). Every game after it has improved drastically, outclassing 2 in almost everything
2 just feels like it all works together well as a whole cohesive package. Despite some jank previously mentioned, like the crash bomb wall gun boss and the final boss you can be forced to game over to to restore bubble lead, it's just a really memorable game. I don't even have much nostalgia for the Mega Man classic series since my first game was X and I grew up as the Battle Network series was being released, but 2 does stand out for me just cause it's fun, I suppose.
That said, 9 feels to me like how I think a lot of people imagine 2 in their heads. I don't mind the charge shot not being there. Sliding, I'll admit can help with boss strategies and whatnot, but the charge may as well be inverted logic on the controls (you're always charging and press B to shoot) because there's never a reason to NOT charge.
Plus the sound is annoying, and I like mashing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Blue

Post by Blue »

You know, if I was a dumb little kid that didn't know how napalm actually worked, I could totally see the explosion weapon shattering crystal.
I don't understand why it would be the other way around though.
Money

Post by Money »

I don't think "rotoscoped" means what raocow thinks it means
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

The start of today's video was a legit explanation of Tomahawk Man's weakness.

Crystal Man's attacks, like Napalm Man's, are proximity-based. Stay close to him and he'll just jump back and forth over your head forever, pausing only for his single shot. You'll never see the four-crystal volley again beyond the initial attack.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Blue wrote: 6 years ago You know, if I was a dumb little kid that didn't know how napalm actually worked, I could totally see the explosion weapon shattering crystal.
I don't understand why it would be the other way around though.
I said right above your post that the crystal eye could jam the gun hole on Napalm Man's head
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

"She said, "be a simple [mega]man."".

Did raocow make a "charge my [...] crystal" reference?
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

I'm pretty sure the reason for the elevator at the start of the level is so that you can immediately recognize the one that's actually dangerous later on as an elevator.

They still could have had enemies spawn on it or something to accomplish the same thing, but I guess they thought that would be too complicated.

And yeah, I had trouble with Gyro Man when I played because he does do a fair amount of damage, and you can easily be caught off guard if he stays on the ground. I ended up going to Charge Man's stage first instead, which I guess isn't far off from starting with Stone Man.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Since Mega Man is anime as all get out, all robots have a backstory. Gyro Man's is that he was given a propeller because *cough* was poor as he could be at the time. Crystal Man, the last MM5 bot made, was literally created to farm income for *hack*. Even with the anime backstory stuff, the weakness makes little sense because Gyro Man doesn't mind that propeller at all, so there's not even a jealousy issue. Uh, yeah.

I'd like to think I know the Mega Mans and all, but reading tonight's bot backstory was pretty new to me. It's so dumb in a good way.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

I always thought it made proper sense for Crystal Man's weakness to be a cutting blade myself.

But I also started with Star Man, which apparently no one else does, so.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

The episode in which raocow nearly sets a world first by almost getting a game over in Mega Man 5. Top Mega Man scholars are still curious if assets and logic were included in the game to handle what happens if you run out of lives since the developers probably figured since enemies drop so many 1-ups in this game it would just never happen.

Next episode is one of my favorite stages/bosses in the series. Looking forward to it!
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

Kilgamayan wrote: 6 years ago I always thought it made proper sense for Crystal Man's weakness to be a cutting blade myself.

But I also started with Star Man, which apparently no one else does, so.
I always started with Star Man too. I liked getting the Super Arrow first and I found him a fun boss to buster duel.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

Well, as I said. I just love this whole level. I guess I wouldn't mind the stage being a bit longer and taking more advantage of the gravity switching mechanic. But it's just crazy how well it's implemented for how short amount of time it's used. And Gravity Man himself is a really fun fight to me.

Again, underrated game!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

See, I talked MM5 down, but we're in the middle of a five-stage stretch of levels I like. Gyro, Gravity, and the next three are pretty cool. Could do without the last one, but whatever.
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

This brings up my major issue with this game (aside from Rush Coil) - none of the cooler level gimmicks are remixed in the fortress stages. I honestly don't mind the weapon set in this game.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I don't even get the criticism against Rush Coil. The argument against the change I've seen so far is "it's different" and I don't see why that's inherently bad. They just tried something new, which you'd think would be a good thing in a series that is otherwise criticised for falling into too much of a formula by this point.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

it feels super weird to me, to actually jump off of that thing
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Ashan wrote: 6 years ago I don't even get the criticism against Rush Coil. The argument against the change I've seen so far is "it's different" and I don't see why that's inherently bad. They just tried something new, which you'd think would be a good thing in a series that is otherwise criticised for falling into too much of a formula by this point.
In MM5, there are times when you try to jump on it that it doesn't register, so it springs up the moment you touch it. You can fall through it if you aren't centered or have it jump up and leave you on the ground. It's just not as functional as the normal Rush Coil.