(shouting)

YUMP - Yeah! UTrue MTalkhaus Production

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Re: MYUP - Mmmmmh... YUMP!

Post by Alice »

lolyoshi wrote: 6 years agofalse
That's kinda arguing semantics though really. How many players are going to be thinking "maybe I should R-scroll the screen since I'm stuck here" when faced with a trap like that?
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

players that like to play stuff like YUMP
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Re: MYUP - Mmmmmh... YUM!

Post by Sugar »

I believe that coin filter is broken in the same way berry thing is broken in the Blue Switch. The intent I believe was that Yoshi shouldn't grow, but because you can get a key with Yoshi's tongue it doesn't really matter. I'm not sure how level author missed it.

I'm not entirely sure how the sprite system works however, I know that it checks if sprites are dead (so you can stomp on Koopas all day long as long you don't kill them), but I suppose you need to ask level author for details or something.

(I'm pretty sure Lazy will explain it in regularly posted dev commentary, looking forward it)
Lazy_
druine
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Lazy_ »

perfect alibi
This is arguably the most trollish level this author has made for this hack. The level is about assassinating rexes, and the perfect alibi is that were on the floor below them so you couldnt've done it.
The green door with the goal sphere a reference to the green doors from VLDC9. The goal sphere is skinned as a crushed rex due to the sprite tileset used by the level, which means that you will be crushed there too.
You can actually skip the level right from the get go. You don't need the 1-up checkpoint to do that.
land of communism
A reference to this:

This level abuses this glitch: "If a sprite has a spawn index of 65 or more (i.e. it's the 65th sprite from the left side of the level), then its "killed" status won't be reset when moving between sublevels. Hence, if you kill the 65th sprite in one room, the 65th sprite in any other room of that level will never spawn."
Right at the start of the level, there are 63 koopas below the screen. The message box is a sprite too, therefore the first 64 sprites in this level have already been spawned. The same thing happens at the start of the statue room. This means that every sprite you kill in the first room will prevent a statue from spawning in the second room. Of course, this means you can still get points as long as you don't kill any sprites.

The coin filter is indeed broken - you weren't supposed to be able to tongue the key. What's supposed to happen is if you didn't get any coins, the 1-up won't spawn because you have exactly 29 coins, letting you hit the turn block with the baby yoshi.
There is a JUMP1/2 level that uses the same mechanic, except hopefully less broken.

y'all are gonna have get used to the unfairness! it's what the latter half of the game is about. no point in complaining about it to be honest
Last edited by Lazy_ 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
is there an integer overflow when you become 256 years old
Duker
I post u2be tags I guess

Post by Duker »

Alice wrote: 6 years ago
lolyoshi wrote: 6 years agofalse
That's kinda arguing semantics though really. How many players are going to be thinking "maybe I should R-scroll the screen since I'm stuck here" when faced with a trap like that?
Well, since it's kinda literally the only thing you can try except glitching through blocks, so a fair few?
fart.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

Two great levels to-day. Making a level out of the sprite level table glitch was a stroke of genius. This might be (only might be--wait till you see) the most creative broad level concept in the hack. I also loved the call back aspect. And with another tour de force to-morrow, North Korea is the real land of plenty.
dont wanna jihad no more
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

should probably continue yump myself but idk at this point

i tend to give up after a while of chipping away at a wall
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

...Could raocow not have cheesed land of communism by just flying over everything? Or did the main part of the level have a ceiling too?
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

There are coins in the sky.

Granted, since the 1-Up filter is broken, that probably doesn't matter.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
nitro2k01

Post by nitro2k01 »

GlitchMr wrote: 6 years ago I believe that coin filter is broken in the same way berry thing is broken in the Blue Switch. The intent I believe was that Yoshi shouldn't grow, but because you can get a key with Yoshi's tongue it doesn't really matter. I'm not sure how level author missed it.

I'm not entirely sure how the sprite system works however, I know that it checks if sprites are dead (so you can stomp on Koopas all day long as long you don't kill them), but I suppose you need to ask level author for details or something.

(I'm pretty sure Lazy will explain it in regularly posted dev commentary, looking forward it)
Oh wow, you're right. I didn't even reflect upon that because cowrao broke that part so casually. I thought the gag was this: Star block only count if 30 coins were collected in the current sublevel. (My assumption.) Any coins collected in the first sublevel would stay collected to the next sublevel and ruin the strip of coins so you couldn't collect 30 coins there, and thus not grow the Yoshi. Of course, that wouldn't work, since you could bop the turn block with the Baby Yoshi (which turned out to be the actual gag.) So yes, a bit of an oversight. Would have been so simple to move the key to the left.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Technically North Korea phased out communism from its official ideology by 2009. The Ryugyong Hotel reference at the end of the video was amusing though.
nitro2k01

Post by nitro2k01 »

AlchemistHohenheim wrote: 6 years ago ...Could raocow not have cheesed land of communism by just flying over everything? Or did the main part of the level have a ceiling too?
A coin ceiling. Which you can actually see with your own eyes at his first playthrough of the level. (Timestamp 10:00) Somehow, he managed to dislodge the camera when collecting the feather.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

ano0maly wrote: 6 years ago Technically North Korea phased out communism from its official ideology by 2009. The Ryugyong Hotel reference at the end of the video was amusing though.
Yeah, I'm glad to see we've finally made it to Pyongyang proper. What adventures await?
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Duker wrote: 6 years agoWell, since it's kinda literally the only thing you can try except glitching through blocks, so a fair few?
Except we're talking about a romhack based in bad Youtube levels. Where trapping the player is a legitimate occurrence all too often. And either way providing a way to kill yourself if you happen to think of R-scrolling is still shit design and only marginally better than providing no way. Also as raocow proved it's not the only thing you can try. He kinda did the thing that would be most obvious. You guys are trying to go about this the wrong way. You already know that there's a way to die. A blind player will not. This isn't a difficult concept so I dunno why you're struggling with this.
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

tip: don't do one level more after turtle rock vinyard - a) you don't want a long video again i think, and b) level author made a redesigned version of level directly following turtle rock vinyard which hopefully will be submitted to you as fast as possible

and let's say it that way, by this point most levels are going to be quite long one level video thing, you have been warned, in a way it's similar to second half of JUMP
Lazy_
druine

Post by Lazy_ »

Ryugyong Hotel (cement)
Ryugyong Hotel is a real-life building in Pyongyang that has been under construction for 30 years and counting. In its current state, it consists mostly of bare cement walls. Ryugyong Hotel's place on the NK submap matches the real-life position of Pyongyang.

This level is dedicated to Frost, who made various hotel levels for the recent VLDCs. The latest one was also themed around wall running and getting stuck on sprite platforms.
This level is the reason why there is a north korea submap in the first place. In the claims sheet, the author suggested that this level could be placed next to land of communism. Since we had two NK-themed levels, we decided to go all the way and have an entire NK submap, even though the other levels are hardly related to NK itself. It has become sort of an in-joke that every level in the NK submap is some sort of esoteric reference to North Korea, even though they aren't.
House oHELPICANTSEE
Inspired by PHANTOM OF MIRROR from ASPE, and a blatant edit of Forest Ghost House. It was also somewhat inspired by a fake tip on SMW Central during an April Fools event: "Tip: Layer 3 fog can only be used with a completely opaque palette."

There used to be no midpoint.
Last edited by Lazy_ 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

that's one of the awful ghost houses
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Lazy_
druine

Post by Lazy_ »

by the way @ raocow and anyone else who might be playing this: the game was just updated. just redownload it from the smwc hacks section. this update fixes a few things such as the embarassing key break in land of communism. also an upcoming level that used to be brutal got nerfed a ton so it's in your best interest to update!!
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

raocow, you are far too forgiving of levels which genuinely hate you and want you to suffer.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

wow! second level today was total garbage!
i'm also getting a bit sick of the finnicky puzzly play-with-savestates levels but the one today wasn't as bad/as unforgiving
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

one hour recording puzzle level coming up tomorrow, get hype
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

I remember ten years ago raocow was playing Super Challenge World and was very confused a lot of the time and used savestates to do stupidly difficult things when the actual solution was to do a slightly less stupidly difficult thing. YUMP is almost there! We may have found the only fully-functional time-bending rom hack.
dont wanna jihad no more
Lockirby2

Post by Lockirby2 »

I'm pretty sure that YUMP is the first step to creating a fully functional flux capacitor.
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

Somebody on YouTubes asked whether this garbage ghost house has a secret exit (i think google destroyed youtube too much for me to bother commenting here).

There is only 1 exit, can confirm, it was marked in levels spreadsheet.

Anyway, out of curiosity i checked discord logs hoping to find why there is only one exit, and all the level author had to say about the level is.

Submission (at about the start of YUMP, back when the levels were designed with savestates in mind):
<Author> House oHELPICANTSEE (warning: unlike my other levels, I consider that one to be Kaizo, even if I beat it savestateless)

Later, 2 weeks later (in response to Lazy):
<Author> "originally I wanted every major contributor to have a level in the postgame but now it's just 40% [some author name] levels"
<Author> I cannot make levels hard enough for that myself.
<Author> Like, a "House oHELPICANTSEE" was my attempt at making a postgame level, but it's only "Hard 2" difficulty.

(hard 2 is a difficulty in level sheet, between "hard" and "kaizo", specified by, I believe Lazy after playing a level, note that back then level did not have Midway Point, i think that could have been a mistake, but it led this level to be after North Korea instead of lategame)

Even later, 2 weeks later than previous messages

<Author> @Enjl: 'i didn't know "fine" and "YUMP" can be put in the same sentence'
<Author> As far I'm concerned, YUMP actually had a legit level design.
<Author> Even if it was meant to be a terrible ROM hack, there is a legitimate good level design in it.
<Enjl> if your end result is a structure with a start and endpoint... yes, there is a level which was designed
<Lazy> epic nothing
<Author> Levels have neat concepts, even if intentionally poorly executed.
<Author> To be fair, with exception for House oHELPICANTSEE, I was somewhat interested in keeping my levels fun to play.
<Author> I honestly don't know what I was thinking with a House oHELPICANTSEE.

So apparently the author was going for a postgame level, and i have to question... why would they make a bad level just to be in postgame? Why not remove it from YUMP (and I think some levels were actually removed from YUMP - but from what I remember it was just really short levels that didn't do much in this ROM hack - considering there needed to be a space for additional levels). No explanation for why not have a secret exit, but if i had to guess, the author realized the level is already awful to play and decided to not frustrate the player by having to do it twice

Ah well, i guess the level was in a collab by being quite youtubish in terms of a style, and was left just due to that, perhaps the collab would be better without levels like that, but it's too late to change this, is it?
Lazy_
druine

Post by Lazy_ »

turtle rock vineyards
http://www.turtlerockvineyards.com/

This level was inspired by how people usually call the purple lava "grape juice" as well as people saying you can't do anything new with 1F0 anymore.
This level is basically a collection of unrelated puzzles that the author came up with all strung together in a row. The cape puzzle in particular was a scrapped JUMP1/2 puzzle.
The last puzzle has two solutions; the one raocow did is the first and intended solution. The second solution is to bring all the koopas down in such as way that they all walk left closely to each other. This will cause the baby yoshi to grow due to the double feed glitch. You can then go down into the hole, eat the shell, spit it out and pick it up. Then you can proceed normally, using a shell instead of a yoshi.

As for why the midpoint is so lopsided: there used to be no midpoint at all.